IGNORED

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

tcmods

Dear TimCurtis,

I'm new to Raspberry Pi 2.

I just downloaded and installed moOde. Internet radio is working and I don't have problems with red books and Hi-res files. They sounds great! Great work! I also manage do disable volume control (I'm using integrated amplifier with volume control).

I have problem with DSD. My USB DAC: LKS MH-DA003 supports DSD64,128,256 in native which I was able to test with PC/Foobar.

With MoOde option "DSD audio support yes" DAC is reporting "DSD 64" on the screen without problems but "DSD 256" are not working. I can see "PCM384K" on the screen and silence. After switching 'DSD audio support no" I can play and hear all DSD files but they are converted to PCM which is reported by DAC as "PCM384K".

I found that my DAC requires windows driver (probably Amanero) to play DSD 256 and DSD 512 over USB. Can it be the source of the problem? For reference: Musound(L.K.S Audio)

I found "Audio device description" in "Customize" Menu but my DAC is not on the list.

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the LKS support!

Going back to the problem. I'm able to play DSD 64 files with "yes". I'm not sure how they are moving to DAC. Probably as DoP but it's impossible to check. I'm not able to play DSD 256. In the mean time I verified that Volumio has the same problem with DSD 256. I was able to play DSD64 with DoP ON (there is separate line for this option). Can it be that some kind of Amanero driver is required to play native and I will not be able to play DSD256 with Raspberry Pi 2?

Which android controller is the best to use with moOde? I was trying Buble DS but moOde didn't appear in menu. Probably requires some extra settings.

michelemezza, thank you for input. How you are transporting data to DAC? I2S? Can it handle DSD? Today I made I2s cable and connected between moOde and LKS DAC. I specified in i2s moOde settings "general". It's working for PCM up to 24/192! But it doesn't with DSD...

Hi Tim.

Thank you for update. Just downloaded and now listening to music. Quick and easy!

Going back to DSD256 I got such info on another forum from b0bb:

"DSD on the RPi is via DSD-Over-PCM (DoP) and it tops out at DSD128. DoP passthru requires ALSA hardware passthru, how that is done is player specific, Squeezelite uses the following command squeezelite-armv6hf -o hw:Amanero

There are experimental patches for the RPi Linux kernel for native DSD that is not encapsulated in PCM and for DSD256 and above but nothing official"

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Tim. Usually I'm turning OFF my DAC but leaving Pi ON for a night. Now I'll not need to restart Pi in the morning. Great news!

Have you been able to look into DSD256 playing to external USB DAC? Maybe v2.6 will have such feature? NativeDSD.com offers interesting new albums in such format...

Sometimes I'm playing music from my computer via JRiver. I can see "moode UPNP" as so called "zone". Is it still bit perfect playing?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for repeating myself but do you think it is possible to implement in the future DSD 256 as discussed previously? I'm asking because will have to make some decisions about future transport for my DAC and as for now moOde was the best choice. I'm not sure if native DSD that could support amanero DAC's is in the MPD plan...

...then I could code it as an option in Moode.

Thank you for info. MPD seams to be soo slow for all the good ideas :)

Today I add wifi to moode and removed Ethernet cable.

Ethernet cable was set as static IP on 192.168.0.201. I haven't remove this option before adding wifi adapter. I set ssd/security/pass for wifi and restarted moode.

Now I have 192.168.0.23 for wifi moode and 192.168.0.18 for cable moode (which is disconnected). I can log in to moode with both IP's. It seams that static IP is only working on cable? Can it be the case? I would go back to previous IP.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for update. I just installed 2.5 TR1. It is working very reliable.

Small album cover under Library is very good idea.

As for now everything works as it should but I didn't test unplugging of DAC. I will test that feature during daily ON/OFF of DAC.

I can not see "Encoded at" field. Probably will show up in newer version.

I'm always turning OFF volume control under MPD Configuration (I'm using USB DAC). Is it OK?

Hello Tim,

I would like to report on 2.5 TR1.

On computer with windows and chrome it is working perfectly.

On telephone and tablet with android and chrome browser I can not push buttons (3 lines on the right to song or album). It wasn't the case on 2.4.

I was too quick. Today it's working! I'm not sure why yesterday it didn't... I will report if I will see the same problem again.

As for now case closed.

When talking about problems top circle showing progress of the track don't work after adding new album. I always have to push refresh to see the top circle. It was also visible in previous version. it's not a big problem

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

In my configuration moode with raspberry pi2 is always ON. I'm turning OFF DAC and from time to time, also computer with shared music files (OFF or hibernate).

After turning on DAC and computer I can play moOde radio without problems. But I can't play anything from computer shared files (SMB/CIFS). I can browse files, choose album, hit "play" and hear silence. Then moode is non responding. I have to OFF and ON RPI2 and then everything is working (radio and files). What can be the problem? Do you think that moode is loosing connection to computer files? Do you think that NAS can help to solve such problems?

It's annoying when I would like to listen to the music and instead have to troubleshot...

• 1 month later...

Tim,

Could you share a little bit more info about MoodeOS and it's purpose? Is it going to replace Moode?

You were asking for ideas: It would be good to introduce resampling to DSD but I'm not sure if Raspberry 2 or 3 processor can handle it...

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Didn't wrote for long time on this thread but I'm reading every post.

When we can expect moOde 3.0?

In the mean time I updated from 2.6 to 2.7. Where can I find update button? I would like to try advanced kernel discussed on previous page.

Good work Tim!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Could also add support for DSD 256 and DSD 512 to the 3.x version? There are more and more DAC's that can suport such resolution.

I wouldlike to ask about power supply that you are using with Rasperry Pi. Is it linear power supply or switching version?

I can't wait for 3.0 version. I'm checking webpage every day...

Tribon

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

3.0 code has been finished/tested for about a week now but I've been super busy lately. I might be able to push the release out at end of November.

-Tim

Thank you Tim for confirmation and your work on Moode.

I hope you will find some time to incorporate DSD 256 and 512 in the future releases.