IGNORED

Looking to Convert APE to FLAC

Use dBpoweramp. With the Monkeys Audio plug-in you can decode ape files and dBpoweramp converts them to FLAC. The program can take care of the tags too. Perhaps you have to configure it a bit.

I would move the files into... say 5 root folders (containing ca. 20k files each) and then run dBpoweramp recursively through each of these root folders.

Thanks for suggestions. Any thoughts how long such a conversion might take?

It all depends on your processor and how the files are stored. NAS, USB, etc have their own bandwidth limitations. I would strongly recommend using a quad or better core processor if you have access to one. Using DB poweramp over my network from my NAS to laptop each album takes about 2-3 minutes. With the same files on a SSD inside the same machine it takes a fraction of that time.

I've been keeping all of my music files as APE for years but I'm considering converting them all to FLAC as FLAC seems to enjoy better support. Any recommendations for a program to mass convert around 100k files?

Efjay,

For fast converting better choise use audio converter with multi-CPU capability.

I have 3 questions:

1. If no secret how you will use these FLAC files (structured home library, car audio, portable audio)?

2. Are you need keep metadata?

3. Are you use big APE+CUE or each album's track in separate APE file.

If separate tracks, need seamless conversion for your albums (like symphonies, operas, live concerts)?

Best regards,

Yuri

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Efjay,

For fast converting better choise use audio converter with multi-CPU capability.

I have 3 questions:

1. If no secret how you will use these FLAC files (structured home library, car audio, portable audio)?

2. Are you need keep metadata?

3. Are you use big APE+CUE or each album's track in separate APE file.

If separate tracks, need seamless conversion for your albums (like symphonies, operas, live concerts)?

Best regards,

Yuri

1. Primarily for home use.

2. I wouldn't want to lose all, or any for that matter, of my tags.

3. Each album is made up of individual files. Not certain what you mean by seamless conversion but I wouldn't want to give up gapless playback.

XLD does it. And fast, too.

It keeps all the metadata in the original file. I used it to convert Karajan's rendition of Mahler 9 from ape to flac. Every movement is split in circa 10 parts, so gapless playback was of utmost importance. It plays flawlessly now.

XLD does it. And fast, too.

It keeps all the metadata in the original file. I used it to convert Karajan's rendition of Mahler 9 from ape to flac. Every movement is split in circa 10 parts, so gapless playback was of utmost importance. It plays flawlessly now.

Thanks for the suggestion. I should have noted that I'm Windows-based.

... convert Karajan's rendition of Mahler 9 from ape to flac. Every movement is split in circa 10 parts, so gapless playback was of utmost importance. It plays flawlessly now.

Hi Pdvm,

If you said about my True Gapless Conversion, need consider these conditions:

1. As example: neighbour tracks has non-zero levels of samples in border. Or some SACD ISO has DC shifting during whole album.

2. if merge two source neighbour tracks to 1 sample accuracy on border of track should not be noise splash or click.

3. After usual sample rate conversion (convert album not as solid stream but as separate tracks)

if these two output (converted) neighbour tracks merged, we can see splash at border.

4. After True Gapless Conversion we get seamless resampled tracks (without any splashes at merged tracks border).

TGC resample all album tracks as solid audio stream.

Also it is important for PCM to DSD and DSD to PCM conversions.

Here more info and illustarations How Convert ISO to DSF, WAV, etc. without Clicks (Mac OS X and Windows)

Of course audio player (software or hardware) also should support gapless playback.

If you don't change sample rate and convert one lossless format to other lossless, I suppose, should not be gaps / splashes, if you merge converted album tracks. If converter work as I think, of course.

However if gapless is important, me seems, need check used converter even for this case.

Best regards,

Yuri

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature