IGNORED

Organizing music

In ZFS you can add spare drives to a pool and if a drive fails it will automatically replace/resilver with the spare.

You can check: zpool status and it will report checksum errors which are an early warning sign of drive failure (can be)

You should periodically: zpool scrub and it will heal checksum errors and if not, a sign of drive failure.

Please stop conflating ZFS with RAID.

ZFS is a file system that has RAID-like features. There are hardware requirements far beyond traditional RAID or soft-RAID.

You must be using a 'nix-based PC to host the data, that PC must be using ECC memory, and it is typically a more involved process to set up.

It is not traditional RAID, and whenever people are discussing "RAID" they are not asking about ZFS.

For anyone that doesn't know what any of this means, this is a good primer:

I do have to admit that if my primary drive was a RAID setup, with an external USB backup, this whole process would have been MUCH easier - so now I see the value in RAID (up till now I have never had a hard drive fail in my house). This begs a question, if a drive starts to get flaky (not fully dying) will the RAID device tell you about it?
It depends entirely only the RAID setup, rather than there being a definitive yes or no answer to that.

I would not recommend that anyone use traditional RAID these days.

Next-gen file systems like ZFS or BTRFS should be able to detect and correct any bit-errors automatically.

It depends entirely only the RAID setup, rather than there being a definitive yes or no answer to that.

I would not recommend that anyone use traditional RAID these days.

Next-gen file systems like ZFS or BTRFS should be able to detect and correct any bit-errors automatically.

Interesting read on next generation file systems, what do you think about ReFS and how does it compare to ZFS or btrfs?

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Interesting read on next generation file systems, what do you think about ReFS and how does it compare to ZFS or btrfs?

Haven't used it but I've swapped ZFS discs between Mac OS X, opensolaris, BSD and Linux without problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Custom room treatments for headphone users.