IGNORED

Unexpected behavior: JRMC under VMWare

have an instance of JRMC installed under Debian 7 that is a VM. Originally created with VMWare Fusion Pro on a Mac, but running on just about everything you can imagine. PC, Windows, Linux, ESX.

On each and every on of those, the darn little tiny Linux guest running JRMC sounds good. *Really* good. As in, better than finicky tuned Windows, Carefully managed Macs.

This is - annoying. Mostly because it is unexpected, but Very Annoying.

Anyone else seeing this kind of behavior with any audio player?

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

on the Italian NextHardware Forum, that are quite a few reports of SQ improvements to HQ Player when used on PC's running RAM Disk. In the German Akitives Hoeren forum there are reports of SQ improvement's when windows is setup on a virtual hard drive, eliminating or at least greatly reducing access to the HD or SSD

Debian 7 set up as a VM would be a not too different animal in that the OS would not be accessing the SSD but everything is resident in RAM

Seems like many setups which reduces HD / SSD activity and is resident inn RAM improve SQ noticeably

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

on the Italian NextHardware Forum, that are quite a few reports of SQ improvements to HQ Player when used on PC's running RAM Disk. In the German Akitives Hoeren forum there are reports of SQ improvement's when windows is setup on a virtual hard drive, eliminating or at least greatly reducing access to the HD or SSD

Debian 7 set up as a VM would be a not too different animal in that the OS would not be accessing the SSD but everything is resident in RAM

Seems like many setups which reduces HD / SSD activity and is resident inn RAM improve SQ noticeably

Actually, it uses an emulated disk, which is just an operating system file that the VMWare program treats like a disk. The end result is a little more disk access, though I admit, it is very much buffered. I am hypothesizing that the VM smooths out the CPU and disk usage, but in terms of creating electrical noise, it is working the CPU quite a bit harder.

This is very puzzling to me.

Robert A. Heinlein

SSD activity and is resident inn RAM improve SQ noticeably3ce8.jpg

I am confused by your comment here- there is no SSD involved, though I have tried it in diskless machines using SAN resources.

If anything, running under a VM icreases real disk activity. By the way, usual practice is to starve VMs in terms of memory and CPU. Totally and completely the opposite of what conventional audio server thinking is.

In other words, I am finding exactly the opposite of what you are stating, and what I expected.

Robert A. Heinlein

have an instance of JRMC installed under Debian 7 that is a VM....

Hi Paul,

Exactly how do you set that up? Are you running to a USB DAC or something else?

Thanks,

JM

Nearfield Desk System: PC with JRiver MC > Sonore microRendu > Schiit Gungnir USB DAC > 6AH4 Linestage > 6CB5A Amp  >Dave's Cables > Omega Super 3 Desktop Speakers on 1-3/4" Maple Butcher Block Table

My "Living Room" System: Sony HAP-Z1ES Player, 2 Pass Labs XA60.5 (Mids/Lows), Pass Labs XA30.5 Amp (Highs), First Watt B4 & B5 Crossovers, Nuforce MCP-18 Preamp, Oppo BDP-103D Video Player, Parasound 275v2 Amp (Center), Parasound 275v2 Amp (SL, SR) Paradigm 90P Full Range Speakers with Powered Subwoofers, Paradigm CC Center Channel, Paradigm Mini Monitor Surrounds, Sony KDL46XBR9 Monitor

Hi Paul,

Exactly how do you set that up? Are you running to a USB DAC or something else?

Thanks,

JM

ESX, Fusion, and Workstation.

Not definitive testing at this point, but USB to a Wavelength Proton, iFi Micro iDSD, Benchmark HGC, a Peachtree DACIT, afew other combinations.

Robert A. Heinlein

ESX, Fusion, and Workstation.

Sorry to be slow to understand.... you are running the Debian version of JRMC under Debian which is running as a virtual machine with Fusion (mac) or Workstation (Windows) or ESX (server machine)?

JM

Nearfield Desk System: PC with JRiver MC > Sonore microRendu > Schiit Gungnir USB DAC > 6AH4 Linestage > 6CB5A Amp  >Dave's Cables > Omega Super 3 Desktop Speakers on 1-3/4" Maple Butcher Block Table

My "Living Room" System: Sony HAP-Z1ES Player, 2 Pass Labs XA60.5 (Mids/Lows), Pass Labs XA30.5 Amp (Highs), First Watt B4 & B5 Crossovers, Nuforce MCP-18 Preamp, Oppo BDP-103D Video Player, Parasound 275v2 Amp (Center), Parasound 275v2 Amp (SL, SR) Paradigm 90P Full Range Speakers with Powered Subwoofers, Paradigm CC Center Channel, Paradigm Mini Monitor Surrounds, Sony KDL46XBR9 Monitor

Sorry to be slow to understand.... you are running the Debian version of JRMC under Debian which is running as a virtual machine with Fusion (mac) or Workstation (Windows) or ESX (server machine)?

JM

Yes. Annoying that it sounds good isn't it? (sigh)

Robert A. Heinlein

my guess is probably what's happening is you're noticing less "hardware" drivers messing around within the OS. Along with dealing with the cpu scheduler that is also playing some part into it.

The fact that it sounds better is interesting. I would think that the cpu scheduling would hurt the sound quality, but I guess not necessarily. My thinking is the generic-ness of the drivers being used is maybe where a good bit of the benefit is coming into play?

If it was me I would V2P the box and see what it sounds like running just by itself. I have a p2v of Win2k+AO box and when used to listen to music.... it's good...very good. Though it's not as good as the actual machine due to all the hardware upgrades I've done on it. I'm thinking to put ESXi on that hardware and see what the p2v'd machine sounds like then. Just haven't had time to do that yet.