IGNORED

Should the behaviour of members of the trade be more strictly regulated than regular members?

Should the behaviour of members of the trade be more strictly regulated than that of regular members  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is ridiculous, how can anyone claim to seek the truth through learning yet forbid a portion of the truly experienced people from offering their knowledge? I think we, as a community, have done a very good job of identifying and chasing off the chills. From what I have seen this problem really doesn't exist here at CA.

Maybe I've missed something or I'm just naive but I haven't seen any of the industry experts I listen to (read thier comments) try to push any agendas other than offer their opinion regarding the specific question/thread.

I couldn't agree more. It is terrific to rub elbows with the generous members of the trade on this site.

Chris has asked members of the trade to self-regulate and they do! These same people share their research, knowledge and ideas, most of which can be implemented without any commercial relationship with them. If you like what they build, buy it! If you think you can do the same in a better, faster, cheaper way, go for it! Lastly if you think what is proposed is nonsense, ignore it!

I have done all three and have managed to vastly improve the quality of the music reproduced by my system. I feel grateful to all that contribute on CA, members of the trade or not.

This is a pioneering field, and it's a privilege to be part of this community of pioneers. Computer Audiophile is the most exciting thing to happen in the 30 years I've been in this hobby. I wouldn't change a thing.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

HNC microelectronic engineering with distinctions

B.Eng.(Hons.), Satellite Communications

AMIEE

Post graduate courses:

Design and Strategy for Software Test (Lucent)

CDMA for Fixed Wireless Access (Lucent)

EMC Design (Lucent)

UMTS Air Interface (Lucent)

DSP and System Simulation (Entegra SystemView)

VHDL for Simulation (ModelSim)

Voice Over IP (Lucent)

Design for Test and Manufacture (Lucent)

Introduction to VHDL Design (Esperan)

Practical RF/Microwave Design (Oxford University CPD)

Lucent was formerly Bell Labs

Hi Wakibaki,

Appears you have spent too much time studying and playing around in laboratories and not enough time in the business world.

Here's something you need to understand about small businessmen. Those that are successful (especially in small markets like high end audio) become so because they generate repeat business from existing clients and referrals, without incurring the additional costs of extensive advertising campaigns, cold canvassing or extra salesmen.

This occurs when the owner of the business genuinely cares about his/her customers' welfare because they understand they are essential to their success. By their very nature small businesses don't have massive brand presence... they therefore simply cannot afford to behave badly, however, there are of course exceptions .... good and bad everywhere.

You have intimated with your poll that the professionals on this site are in some way rogues who need to be better "controlled". My experience has been quite the opposite, you get better behaviour from people with less controls and by showing trust.

My 15 year old boy is at boarding school and his house master's vision (75 boys in a house) is that when the boys leave his care they are ready for adulthood. Accordingly he gives them a lot of responsibility for their actions. e.g. they are allowed to have their mobile phones at all times, including class, during homework and after lights out. He tells them his expectations for their use and that if abused the phones will be confiscated for a day, then a week and then sent home to the parents. He has sent one home in the past three years. i.e. despite the temptation to get onto Facebook and surf the net the boys respond to the trust bestowed on them. They really get off on it and take pride in their "adult" status.

Running a small business is no different .... you select good people, define your expectations, give them ownership and then monitor their behaviour.

The professionals on this site are good people (I still haven't seen you or anyone else put forward any examples of bad behaviour) and Chris has made it very clear to them his expectations. He is actually a very benevolent moderator and IMO strikes just the right balance.

FWIW your poll results are conclusive with 82% of CA members happy with the status quo, although the more telling statistic is actually the number who have abstained from voting suggesting that they, like myself, are tired of those who would impose their will on others.

Can we now please move on from this desire to tell others how to behave and leave it to Chris to monitor his site as he sees fit and get back to the music.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Just watched an 11 minute video that seems quite fitting for the topic.

Native advertising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_2256248743&feature=iv&index=32&list=PLmKbqjSZR8TbfAMV9bLy4beDh4vrze5kc&src_vid=pX8BXH3SJn0&v=E_F5GxCwizc

If you aren't allergic to John Oliver, it is a nice piece of editorializing on the topic.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

This poll reflects the underlying feelings of the "us against them" mentality that seems to pervade so many conversations on the internet vis a vis manufacturers and dealers in the audio business. From now on I personally will restrict my reading and commenting to the music portions of the forum on this site.

not sure how you get there when the results of the poll and the comments are running against restricting members with commercial interests. The extreme point of view seems to be wakibaki's.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Just watched an 11 minute video that seems quite fitting for the topic.

Native advertising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_2256248743&feature=iv&index=32&list=PLmKbqjSZR8TbfAMV9bLy4beDh4vrze5kc&src_vid=pX8BXH3SJn0&v=E_F5GxCwizc

If you aren't allergic to John Oliver, it is a nice piece of editorializing on the topic.

"sharing their storytelling tools"

absolutely brilliant line

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

...extreme...

Well, I'm definitely an outlier here.

These are not, however, extreme views. The majority of the user base on head-fi are rabid subjectivists, but even there they know the significance of a vested interest. They've also got their heads screwed on because MOTs don't get to piggyback their sales efforts on the site's popularity for free. They have to pay for exposure, and then it's clear to everybody it's an advert.

Mike zerO Romeo Oscar November

http://wakibaki.com