IGNORED

Matching LPS with equipment

I've been reading a lot about the positive impact on SQ LPSs can make. Here's the setup i am working on:

Asus router - vodka cat7 - switch - vodka cat7 - Dedicated Synology - vodka cat7 - media converter - fiber - media converter - vodka cat7 - Aries - WW Platinum USB - Vega

Per recommendations, i purchased a couple of Mean Well units for the media converters. I understand the Aries provided power is adequate... so my questions are:

1. I currently have the Aries and Vega connected to a linear power conditioner, will my system benefit from connecting all of the above components to this conditioner? or am i better off replacing the LPS for each individual network device (router and NAS)?
  2. And if i am better off replacing, how do i match (per specs) each component with the appropriate LPS? I don't have an electrical engineering background, so any insight would be helpful.

Lastly, i also purchased a OWC enclosure so i can test UBS vs ethernet vs Wifi. The enclosure does allow for DC input... however, i am not sure how to match it with an appropriate supply per specs.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Udi:

Another member here at CA is considering our JS-2 LPS for his system which includes a Auralic Aries. Our supply offer multiple, user-set output voltages--all at up to 5 amps continuous load--but the max setting is 12 volts.

As you see at the input jack of your Aries, it is marked for 16 volts DC/1amp. But since the Aries of course does not have anything inside that actually runs on anywhere near that high (likely mostly 5V, 3.3V, 1.8V, etc.), and since the internal regulators of some designs allow considerable flexibility of input voltage (as long as it is above what they regulate down to), this fellow CA'er sent an inquiry to Auralic and received the following reply just last night:

"Hi XXXXX:

We suggest you to use 16V/1A power supply if possible, the alternative solution is 12V/1.5A type.

Xuanqian Wang | CEO & Designer"

The above is exciting news for me since it clearly opens a even wider market and application for the fine John Swenson chioke-filtered design that I build and sell. And in fact a couple of current JS-2 owners (using with their DAC or CAPS or Mac mini) already have an Aries, so I can tell them to give it a try with the second output of the JS-2.

Of further interest to you may be that another Aries owner (one who is very vocal here at CA)--who like you has an Auralic Vega DAC--has ordered a JS-2 for delivery in early April. So maybe keep your eyes open for postings of results with the Aries.

I actually think that the Mean Well SMPS bricks you bought (looks like the exact model I recommended after my own recent survey for one to include with our forthcoming USB REGEN) is probably just fine for the application with the Fiber Media Converters.

To go further I guess you could run the one FMC at the Aries side on a good 9V LPS and realize slight improvement (I suppose I'd be stepping over the promotion line to suggest you use a JS-2 with one output at 12V for Aries, and the other set to 9V for the FMC closest to the Aries).

Regards,

--Alex C.

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the reply. I will definitely consider using the JS-2 to power the Aries and the FMC closest to the Aries. In your opinion, what is the best way to power my OWC enclosure?

Is it a worthwhile investment to consider doing the same to my Synology nas? I may experiment with bypassing my switch and connecting directly to my Aries (via ethernet).

I have to admit, i am a bit lost when it comes to PSU's and based on all of the positive comments i've read in CA, i'd hate to be missing on meaningful SQ improvements.

Thanks again,

Udi

In your opinion, what is the best way to power my OWC enclosure?

Well that is a bus-powered USB 3.0/eSATA drive, so you will be using USB bus power unless:

a) you found a USB 3.0 to DC plug power cable in the box

AND

b) used the eSATA interface.

In that case you could get a small 5V PS for the enclosure since it does have a port.

But since you are probably using a USB 3.0 cable, your drive will be drawing power from the computer. However, if your cable at the computer end is a standard USB2.0 type 'A', you may be able to tape over the power pin and then the drive would draw all its power from the external supply.

That's why I don't buy bus-power drives.

Is it a worthwhile investment to consider doing the same to my Synology nas?

What model of Synology NAS? A lot of them have their own internal supplies fed by an AC power cord.

Honestly, I'd focus on getting really good power to your DAC and to the devices directly connected to your DAC (computer, Aries, FMC, etc.) before you branch out the other items.

I may experiment with bypassing my switch and connecting directly to my Aries (via ethernet).

Now there is a good idea!

Best of luck...

Well that is a bus-powered USB 3.0/eSATA drive, so you will be using USB bus power unless:

a) you found a USB 3.0 to DC plug power cable in the box

AND

b) used the eSATA interface.

In that case you could get a small 5V PS for the enclosure since it does have a port.

But since you are probably using a USB 3.0 cable, your drive will be drawing power from the computer. However, if your cable at the computer end is a standard USB2.0 type 'A', you may be able to tape over the power pin and then the drive would draw all its power from the external supply.

That's why I don't buy bus-power drives.

Thank you for your reply... do you recommend any SSD USB enclosures? Or should I forget about USB and focus on Wifi/Ethernet? I was also thinking of using this enclosure, but connect it to a dedicate router and ran ethernet from router to Aries (per your suggestions in a different post)?

What model of Synology NAS? A lot of them have their own internal supplies fed by an AC power cord.

Honestly, I'd focus on getting really good power to your DAC and to the devices directly connected to your DAC (computer, Aries, FMC, etc.) before you branch out the other items.

I have the DS410. It's relatively old. I currently use it for backup purposes only.

thanks.