IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

A few comments and answers to questions in regards to the ACS-10 / N10 interface.  I have used both.

When used together, the N10 just becomes the player....ACS10 sends the files over ethernet to the N10 SSD for playback.  The storage drives in the N10 become superfluous. 

Unless the most recent software update corrected this, you have to delete all files on the N10, or all of your albums will show up twice in the conductor app.

ACS-10 only displays cover art when ripping, not during playback.

Newly ripped files are only stored on the ACS10 and not sent to the N10....if you want them on the N10 you have to drag and drop via computer.  

Both units function well, and I think a few small issues will be addressed with future software updates.  

Hopefully Aurender will provide more information to prospective buyers as to how the two units function in tandem, as information available on their website is a bit murky at this point.  

3 hours ago, tdimler said:

A few comments and answers to questions in regards to the ACS-10 / N10 interface.  I have used both.

When used together, the N10 just becomes the player....ACS10 sends the files over ethernet to the N10 SSD for playback.  The storage drives in the N10 become superfluous. 

Unless the most recent software update corrected this, you have to delete all files on the N10, or all of your albums will show up twice in the conductor app.

ACS-10 only displays cover art when ripping, not during playback.

Newly ripped files are only stored on the ACS10 and not sent to the N10....if you want them on the N10 you have to drag and drop via computer.  

Both units function well, and I think a few small issues will be addressed with future software updates.  

Hopefully Aurender will provide more information to prospective buyers as to how the two units function in tandem, as information available on their website is a bit murky at this point.  

Hmmm. I wonder what Aurender's long term strategy is. Is seems to me that they might need to better integrate the ACS10 and N10 (with HDDs). Consider someone with a NAS, ACS-10 and N(whatever) with an HDD. It could be a bit confusing if that person were to also use AMM together with the ACS10 and a N(whatever) to regularly play music. 

Since I believe in keeping it simple and don't use AMM, I would appreciate some explanation from other thread members.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Reply to Tdimler:

Your experience is not the same as mine.  I have both the N10 and the ASC-10.  When I added the ASC-10, I went through the instructions on the conductor app.  In the process the N10 rebooted and from that point forward all ripped CD's are automatically available to the N10 (as you said).  They all show up on the N10 library.  Play back is through the N10.  The storage drives in the N10, however, are not now superfluous. They still work as they always did. 

Nothing shows up twice in the conductor app. 

I wondered how the system (the two units together) would pick storage locations.  If we have to drag and drop from the ASC-10 to the N10, well, that is a pain in the backside.  I rust this will get sorted out. 

I have an ACS10 coming tomorrow.  The buyer had it a few weeks and decided to sell it.  Critical listening mode is supposedly a beta release.  He told me if I use it to be sure to turn it off before powering off the ACS10 or file corruption could result.  Aurender is supposedly working to fix the problem.

I will try it the streamer function built into the ACS and also compare it to my N100H.  I saw on another forum the streamer sound quality is somewhere between the N10 and N100H.  I will try it and see for myself.  If it is better than the N100H I will sell the N100 and just use the ACS10 as my streamer.

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

16 minutes ago, sfseay said:

I have an ACS10 coming tomorrow.  The buyer had it a few weeks and decided to sell it.  Critical listening mode is supposedly a beta release.  He told me if I use it to be sure to turn it off before powering off the ACS10 or file corruption could result.  Aurender is supposedly working to fix the problem.

I will try it the streamer function built into the ACS and also compare it to my N100H.  I saw on another forum the streamer sound quality is somewhere between the N10 and N100H.  I will try it and see for myself.  If it is better than the N100H I will sell the N100 and just use the ACS10 as my streamer.

If 'Critical listening mode' will sound better than the regular mode, I'm very interested to hear it! ?

6 hours ago, Vincent1234 said:

If 'Critical listening mode' will sound better than the regular mode, I'm very interested to hear it! ?

So am I.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

On 11/29/2018 at 2:38 PM, Vincent1234 said:

Same here. ?

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Wireworld Silver Electra PCs..IsoAcoustics Gaia I and II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

• 2 weeks later...

New update ready. Most notable is metadata handling. It appears that a full scan is being done.

10 hours ago, agladstone said:

What changes have they made to metadata handling? 

I don't know exactly but after the scan there were some changes to the presentation. I am installing a new amp today so it will be a few days for me to sit and take a close look.

Here are the details of the latest update:

SYSO 4(5).15.28 / Conductor 2.9.14

Released on December 12 2018

Aurender

• Improved the stability of network access to Aurender (To copy to/from Aurender)
• Improved USB DAC compatibility
• Improved handling of metadata from audio files
• Updated Qobuz UI
• Improved ACS support
• Improved stability
• Small UI bug fixes
• Fixed bug affecting streaming services in specific conditions.
• Fixed Smart Copy feature bugs.

Question about Qobuz:

As I understand it, Hi Res content is not available for streaming unless you purchase the Hi Res album from them.  All streams would therefore be 16/44.1.  And there would be no advantage to purchasing the Studio level streaming option if using the Aurender for playback.  Is that correct?

Thanks.

On 12/14/2018 at 9:28 PM, rwwjr44 said:

SYSO 4(5).15.28 / Conductor 2.9.14

Released on December 12 2018

• Improved USB DAC compatibility
• Improved stability

Yesterday, I updated both the Conductor app and my N100H to the latest software version as prompted.

I find the SQ improvement to be probably due to the improved stability and improved USB DAC compatibility as stated above.  What I find interesting is how software updates can actually improve stability of hardware components. Just wondering.

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

On 12/15/2018 at 7:50 AM, Ponzi said:

I just down loaded the update and it appears to be for the N10 only, not the ASC-10.  As always it was a simple and quick process.  I am hoping it permits ripped CDs to be stored on both hard drives, not only to ASC-10.  I will let you know.

Seems this is not the case.  Also, you still have to delete all files from the N10 unless you want your albums to appear twice in the conductor app.  

Hello all, N100 user here. Last week I updated my storage virtual machine and ran into a little issue with my N100 (fw 5.15.28). I will document my experiences below. Please add to or correct my writing to help others experiencing the same issue. 

I am using a Freenas vm to host my music library. After I recently upgraded to "Freenas 11.2 Release" my Aurender could no longer see my shares. Some googlefu and a test share from a not yet updated Freenas vm quickly revealed that the new release of Freenas no longer had SMB1 support by default (for security reasons). Because of what happend after the update I deduct that the Aurender OS relies on SMB1 to connect. 

The fix for this is to enable SMB1 on your Freenas. You can do this by entering the following command in the Shell: 

sysctl freenas.services.smb.config.server_min_protocol=NT1

After this restart the SMB service and try to connect to your share through the Aurender Conductor. If this fix works for you you can make it permanent  by going to (Freenas) System → Tunables →Add Tunable and creating a Tunable with these settings:

Variable: freenas.services.smb.config.server_min_protocol

Value: NT1

Type: Sysctl

Credit to the original post: Freenas forums

Unfortunately this situation did mean that my playlists have become unusable (empty). I had to rerun AMM after adding my share to use my files. So I wouldn't recommend Freenas owners to upgrade just yet.

I guess it's difficult for Aurender to step away from SMB1 due to compatibility issues with the array of nas devices they have to service. On the other hand I also understand the move towards newer protocols for handling our data from the Freenas side. 

At the moment I am glad to have a workaround and will continue to enjoy the music :)

Can anybody chime in that is/has used Tidal and Qobuz both on their Aurender? Tidal Masters vs native 24 bit ?  

Thanks

Russ

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

On 12/23/2018 at 1:30 PM, russellbobby said:

Can anybody chime in that is/has used Tidal and Qobuz both on their Aurender? Tidal Masters vs native 24 bit ?  

Thanks

Russ

I’d like to hear about the same!! I’m anxiously awaiting Qobuz and curious if the high res will be better than Tidal MQA ! 

On 12/23/2018 at 6:30 PM, russellbobby said:

Thanks

Russ

I use a W20. 

At one time I had both but have dropped Quboz because of the cost and stayed with Tidal. To be honest whether you use Tidal or Quboz the SQ seems to more driven by the quality of mastering rather than a choice between MQA and HiRez. It can be very variable. 

For this reason, and bigger library, I chose to keep with Tidal and drop Quboz. With the alleged financial position of Tidal, that might have to change before too long. 

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

Sorry just read your post again .....I find  native 24bit is consistently preferable  to Tidal Masters but again the difference is variable from recording to recording. You have to be very certain you are comparing the same recording and they can vary a lot, there can often be several versions of the same album with no apparent difference 

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

3 hours ago, Mazza said:

....I find  native 24bit is consistently preferable  to Tidal Masters....

My personal experience is similar.

If I am not wrong,  all Tidal Masters are MQA versions.

That said, YMMV depending on whether your dac is an MQA dac or not.

Mine isn't. 

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

3 hours ago, jon2020 said:

My personal experience is similar.

If I am not wrong,  all Tidal Masters are MQA versions.

That said, YMMV depending on whether your dac is an MQA dac or not.

Mine isn't. 

I myself have never used Qobuz, so I have no opinion on that. However, there's a big difference in the SQ of Tidal's MQA files if your DAC is fully MQA capable or if it isn't.