IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

@Ponzi great when that happens.  I have Luxman valve pre and power amps with the N100H and while it is hard to be objective I'd definitely say the sound has stepped up a notch or two over time - I would have to put this down to the valves bedding in because my Luxman kit was introduced new and the rest of my system components, including speakers were well run in.  

My Luxman kit is a joy to listen to and their component matching is second to none.  I bet yours sounds amazing; enjoy!  

PS you have inspired me to play a little Chopin later on ;)

First, the unit is lovely to look at.  Especially sitting atop the N10.  The dimensions are identical.

Set up is a breeze.  

Use is also a breeze.  Open drawer, put in CD , close drawer, wait till drawer opens.  Then repeat.  

At first, I could not figure out how to get the N10 to see the data in the ASC 10.  One must go through a little and quite simple process on the conduct or ap, at which time the N10 reboots.  Still I could not see my recent rips on the N10.  Turns out that one just needs to wait a few minutes.  It’s automatic. My only problem was my own impatience.

It is still a mystery to me whether the rips ever end up on the N10 storage, as opposed to the ASC 10.  That is an issue for down the road.

40 minutes ago, Ponzi said:

It is still a mystery to me whether the rips ever end up on the N10 storage, as opposed to the ASC 10.  That is an issue for down the road.

Thanks, Ponzi, for your very helpful description of the ASC10.

I am considering replacing my N100H with the ASC10.

How would you compare the SQ of ripped music tracks stored internally in the N10 vs the same tracks ripped directly from cd's by the ASC10?

Given the difference in price and build quality between the N10 and ASC10, one would expect the N10 to sound better for the same track. 

Many thanks in adance. 

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

As to your first question, I do not know.  I am using the N10 for all server and playback functions. 

As for build quality, the ASC-10 and the N10 look pretty much identical.  I just assumed that Aurender put server capability in the ASC-10 for those who want one stop shopping, but that it is not up to the standards of the N10 or maybe even the N100h.  I would ask your dealer about that. 

8 hours ago, Ponzi said:

As to your first question, I do not know.  I am using the N10 for all server and playback functions. 

This is interesting. As you do not use the ASC 10 for playback after ripping cd's into its internal storage, you are using it only for cd ripping and as a sort of NAS to the N10. 

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

I bought the ASC 10 really for one reason.  That is to make CD ripping and storage much simpler.  I already own the N10, so I did not need another server.  

If Aurender  had an ASC -10 with no server function, but just ripping and storage, I would have bought that instead.  I am assuming Aurender added server capability to the unit to make it more salable.  If instead, it is otherwise equal to the n10 in performance, I will have an N10 for sale.

I will dig into this and let you know.  But I cannot imagine a $5,000 ASC-10 with ripping capability is equal as a server to a $8,000 N10.

I have recently experimented with some mains products and my system includes an Aurender. Rather than pollute this thread with a bit of an off topic subject, here is the thread if you are interested:

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

Hello,

I could use some help please. 

I believe I have the same issue with my X100 as noted by member Bolts earlier (October 7). After latest software upgrade the unit indicates that it is streaming but there is no sound out of my dac, I also tried two other dacs but again no sound. The unit recognised all dacs and is confirmed on the amoled screen, but no sound.

Any advise please of how to sort out this issue. 

I just got my hands on an old Aurender N100 and wow does it sound like SHIT with Tidal (HiFi/Master quality). Sounds like hand cupping / loses so much low end.

In fact, it sounds worse through the N100 with Tidal than just plugging my Macbook directly into my DAC. Why would this be?

When I run 192/24 Flac files on the N100 it sounds amazing, though. 

My setup: Schiit Ragnarok > Schiit Yggdrasil > Monitor Audio Silver 300 > Aurender N100 

6 minutes ago, christophhh said:

I just got my hands on an old Aurender N100 and wow does it sound like SHIT with Tidal (HiFi/Master quality). Sounds like hand cupping / loses so much low end.

In fact, it sounds worse through the N100 with Tidal than just plugging my Macbook directly into my DAC. Why would this be?

When I run 192/24 Flac files on the N100 it sounds amazing, though. 

My setup: Schiit Ragnarok > Schiit Yggdrasil > Monitor Audio Silver 300 > Aurender N100 

Are you sure the Aurender is running the software to decode MQA?

No electron left behind.

9 hours ago, christophhh said:

Yeah, I paid the $49.99 for the MQA software update after I heard the audio, figured it might be that. Sounds same. Is there anyway I can check if its installed/running correctly on the system?

Schiit is not supporting MQA as I understand. Aurender is only doing the first of two MQA unfolds, not the full monty. My guess is something is wrong with your network setup.

@christophhh if it is as bad as you say then you have something wrong somewhere. Ok I have W20 rather than N100 but I cannot believe that Tidal will sound so radically different between the two machines. Some Tidal I find almost indistinguishable from native playback and even the worst is ok rather than “shit”. And I am talking MQA and non-MQA. 

might be your network chain needs looking at?

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

Thanks for the replies. 

What do you think it could be? Especially because when I'm running FLAC files directly off a USB it sounds great. But with Tidal, sounds terrible vs my macbook plugged into the exact same network. I literally unplug from the Aurender, plug directly into Macbook on Tidal, same song and press play - sounds better. 

Could it be the way the Aurender plays with the Schiit Yggdrasil? I scoured the settings in the app and didn't see anything that I recognized I could change to effect the sound...

@christophhh there are no settings to play with in the Conductor App. Not familiar with the Schmitt, are there any settings in there that could be influencing/biasing the sound to one or the other?

Notwithstanding that, to be clear, your connection is:

network router——(via Ethernet)——mac——(via usb)——-Schitt——(via xlr)——pre-amp etc etc?

And with the N100, you *literally* just swap out the Mac, with exactly the same cables?

with the Mac setup, you are on battery or mains? Are you using an Ethernet adapter?

@Mazza 

Not aware of any settings on the Schiit that would influence anything (manual here: http://schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/yggdrasil_manual_1_1.pdf)

Monitor Audio Silver 300 *speakers* -- (via RCA) -- Schiit Ragnarok *amp* --- (via RCA) -- Schiit Yggdrasil *DAC* -- (via USB B to A cable) -- Aurender N100 *streamer* -- (via Ethernet) -- Router -- (via wireless) -- iPad Pro w/ Aurender app

or I unplug the USB B to A cable from Aurender, and plug it into my Macbook (with Apple USB to USB C adapter) running the Tidal App. Macbook is running from battery and directly connected to DAC, totally wired. 

@christophhh so one variable is that you are connecting  the Mac wirelessly to the router? Whereas with N100 you are linked by Ethernet cable to the router? 

If if so I’d suggest checking out the Ethernet cable? Might be faulty/damaged?

It is a long ethernet cable for whatever it is worth. Like 16 feet long, just a generic one, nothing fancy. I don't see how this could effect anything about the sound though, haha. It's just an internet connection..

Maybe better to just get a little adapter? I'm going to order this one, Aurender customer support suggested it..

One question, if the internet connection is slow/or bogged down, will the Conducter app reduce the Tidal audio quality, or will it just not play until it is fully loaded? Wondering if a slower internet connection could allow the app to send a lower quality stream.

Also, what kind of Ethernet cable I should use..any specific type? Gigabit?

The Conductor App is not any conduit for the music signal.  It is merely a controller. All signal transfer is via the N100’s Ethernet port. The App sends an instruction to the N100 and then sits back as the N100 and Router ‘talk’. All rendering of the music data stream is done by the N100 not the App

Interestingly what Aurender have recommended to you bypasses the N100 Ethernet port totally. Never tried such a device myself so can’t advise. An alternative could be to swap out your cable for another. 

Yeah. They suggested keeping it hard wired. 

Do you think it being too long or not being the right kind of ethernet cable makes a diff? What is the ideal recommended ethernet cable to be used with Aurender prodcuts, gigabit? 

This was Aurender customer support's response:

"Hi Christopher, 
Really, it should be connected via hard-wired ethernet to the router for the best user experience. In most cases, a decent electrician or AV installer can figure out a way to retrofit ethernet cable through the house if you are willing to let them be a little creative! In the long run it will only serve you well to have hard wired ethernet in your listening room…streaming bandwidth requirements are only going up as we move towards higher and higher resolutions.

However, there are a few workarounds if that is truly not possible:

- you can use a wifi extender which plugs into the wall and picks up the WiFi signal from your router. It has an ethernet output which you use to connect to the Aurender ethernet port. This solution works well as long as there is strong wifi coverage in the listening room.

- if you don’t care about streaming/internet access, you can use a USB WiFi adapter like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078MNWHDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again, in that scenario you would not have internet access, but you would be able to browse and play content that is stored on the Aurender hard drive.

Thanks,"