IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, bmichels said:

thanks a lot. I will investigate those 2 brands.   

But I wonder: may be the superiority of coax over AES that you noticed is also depending on the DAC you are using ? Some DACs may have a better AES input while other DACs vice versa may have a better coax input ? 

Anyway, In 2 days I will go listening to a W20 that is proposed to me for sale used.  I will report...

Just bring it home and enjoy.

Many amongst us here are very confident it will keep you away from the keyboard for quite a good while. :)

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

I agree. I am very confident that the W20 will be a very substantial upgrade to my Auralic Aries V1 fento that I have used with joy for 3 years.

In fact the decision I have to make is either buying this used W20 or staying with Auralic and getting a new Aries G2, for almost half the price of the used W20.

9 hours ago, bmichels said:

thanks a lot. I will investigate those 2 brands.   

But I wonder: may be the superiority of coax over AES that you noticed is also depending on the DAC you are using ? Some DACs may have a better AES input while other DACs vice versa may have a better coax input ? 

Anyway, In 2 days I will go listening to a W20 that is proposed to me for sale used.  I will report...

That could be the difference. I use DCS Scarlatti DAC, the second test was DCs Paganini.

with both DACS, 75 ohm coax was much superior to both testers so definitely worth  shot.

7 minutes ago, bmichels said:

I agree. I am very confident that the W20 will be a very substantial upgrade to my Auralic Aries V1 fento

I upgraded from the Auralic Aries Fento, which I had for about 6 months, to a W20.

As good as the Auralic is, the W20 is in a totally different league and once you have heard the W20, it will very difficult to want to go back. So beware!

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

7 minutes ago, bmichels said:

I agree. I am very confident that the W20 will be a very substantial upgrade to my Auralic Aries V1 fento that I have used with joy for 3 years.

In fact the decision I have to make is either buying this used W20 or staying with Auralic and getting a new Aries G2, for almost half the price of the used W20.

Looks like you are in deep indecision mode.

The old adage, "you get what you pay for" holds true all the time.

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

@bmichels It's very easy to say "you get what you pay for", and to a large extent I think it's true, but there is also the rule of diminishing returns. Any Aurender is a big chunk of change. The higher up the range you go, you'd expect a sonic improvement, but we start taking about some serious coin. With an Aurender you're also buying into the software (Conductor app) and support which you'd get with any model. 

I have a W20 coupled to a MSB Select II DAC. I use the AES 110 ohm single connection and the word clock is synced via a 75 ohm BNC cable. Both cables are Shunyata's top end Sigma's which sound excellent and are an improvement over the Transparent Gen 5 cables which we used previously.

I have noticed that a couple off posts here have stated that the 75 ohm SPDIF connection is superior when using a single cable. I am trying to get some more information on this. I can also use the word clock with the 75 ohm SPDIF connection.

I do not have a spare 75 ohm SPDIF cable to try this out. 

Can anyone who has experience with this comment on their experience and the impact it has on Sound Quality please?

Music Sever - Taiko Extreme

DAC's - MSB Select II + Femto 33 Clock + Dual power supplies + Pro USB Module

Amp's - Raal HSA-1bMSB Reference HP Amp, MSB Select Estat Headphone Amp Woo 234 Mono's Elite, Takatsuki 300B, 274B

Headphones - Raal Requisite sr1a, MySphere 3.2, Kennerton Thror's, Stax SR-009 & 009S, Sony MRD-Z1, Abyss Phi TC, Audeze LCD-4, 24 & 4Z, Focal Utopia, HiFiMan Susvara

Cables - DHC OPUS HP, Stage III Gorgon XLR's + Xphynx USB

Power - Shunyata Triton V3 & Typhon QR + Sigma PC's Isolation - HRS SXR Ref Stand + MX3R Isolation Bases

21 hours ago, rwwjr44 said:

My advice concerning which Aurender to buy -> buy the model that you can afford given your circumstances. We have heard about folks being "house poor", "car poor", etc. and I know the temptations of those as well as wanting a Leica camera and a W20. I haven't always followed my advice and have often regretted it. There are just too many other things to do in life. ?

Bump....

Jon

I think it more accurate to say:  "You do not get what you don't pay for."  One can pay a lot and get little or nothing for it.  But getting a lot for a little is as rare as chicken teeth.  There are people around the fringes of high end audio trying to pick people's pockets, but that is not the case with companies like Aurender.

5 hours ago, bmichels said:

The N 100 series is a substantial upgrade to the Aries Femto.   I went to Aries>N100S> Aurender A10 . The A10 because of simplicity and it beat the other combos ( Using a Modwright tube dac hands down). I would go for a used N10 and spend money on a top of the line power chord and isolation.  The money you save you can spend on a new dac every three years as technology evolves.  Looks like about a 5k difference in used prices between the w20 and the N10. Thats a few bucks for other system upgrades that me be more beneficial, especially if you are not using the w20 extensive hookups or need 12tb of hard drive space. Whatever Aurender you choose you cannot lose!!   

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

All so true above about Aurender.

With reference specifically to products within the Aurender line, you really do get what you pay for, or as Ponzi puts it, not get what you don't pay for....... :)

Jon

4 hours ago, isquirrel said:

I have a W20 coupled to a MSB Select II DAC. I use the AES 110 ohm single connection and the word clock is synced via a 75 ohm BNC cable. Both cables are Shunyata's top end Sigma's which sound excellent and are an improvement over the Transparent Gen 5 cables which we used previously.

I have noticed that a couple off posts here have stated that the 75 ohm SPDIF connection is superior when using a single cable. I am trying to get some more information on this. I can also use the word clock with the 75 ohm SPDIF connection.

I do not have a spare 75 ohm SPDIF cable to try this out. 

Can anyone who has experience with this comment on their experience and the impact it has on Sound Quality please?

Hi iSquirrel,

I also have a W20 coupled to a MSB Select II DAC (with dual mono Powerbases), but with a Trinnov Audio Amethyst room-correction preamplifier in between.  The source components are connected using Stealth Audio Sextet AES/EBU digital cables (circa 2007), which I’m very happy with.

I have 2 x 1.5 meter VH Audio Pulsar Ag 75 ohm S/PDIF cables terminated with Furutech BNC connectors; one for the clocklink from the MSB going into the W20, and the other for the S/PDIF output from the Aurender going direct into the MSB DAC.

https://www.vhaudio.com/pulsar-cu-airlok-single.html

Note that the MSB’s clocklink is actually designed to work with the 50 ohm standard which apparently is standard in broadcasting, as opposed to the 75 ohm standard which is common in home audio.  When asked about compatibility between these disparate standards, MSB replied that it shouldn’t be an issue because the physical distance between the transmitter and receiver is short.

My Aurender W20 has a defective USB 2.0 output since I bought it about four years ago, and it has been an absolute nightmare to repair - it was in the shop for an entire month for troubleshooting and replacement of the USB 2.0 connector, which ultimately did not solve the problem.  Now awaiting the arrival of a new motherboard from Korea for replacement.  I need the USB 2.0 output to be working so that I can finally experience native DSD as well as full MQA decoding from my DAC.

On the subject of which connection (AES/EBU vs S/PDIF) yields a better sound, I confess that I haven’t yet had a chance to compare the two, as in my current component rack placement configuration, I don’t have an AES/EBU cable which is long enough for the W20’s output to reach my DAC... ?

But lots to report and share once the USB 2.0 connector is fixed !  ?

5 hours ago, Quadiffusor HK said:

Hi iSquirrel,

I also have a W20 coupled to a MSB Select II DAC (with dual mono Powerbases), but with a Trinnov Audio Amethyst room-correction preamplifier in between.  The source components are connected using Stealth Audio Sextet AES/EBU digital cables (circa 2007), which I’m very happy with.

I have 2 x 1.5 meter VH Audio Pulsar Ag 75 ohm S/PDIF cables terminated with Furutech BNC connectors; one for the clocklink from the MSB going into the W20, and the other for the S/PDIF output from the Aurender going direct into the MSB DAC.

https://www.vhaudio.com/pulsar-cu-airlok-single.html

Note that the MSB’s clocklink is actually designed to work with the 50 ohm standard which apparently is standard in broadcasting, as opposed to the 75 ohm standard which is common in home audio.  When asked about compatibility between these disparate standards, MSB replied that it shouldn’t be an issue because the physical distance between the transmitter and receiver is short.

My Aurender W20 has a defective USB 2.0 output since I bought it about four years ago, and it has been an absolute nightmare to repair - it was in the shop for an entire month for troubleshooting and replacement of the USB 2.0 connector, which ultimately did not solve the problem.  Now awaiting the arrival of a new motherboard from Korea for replacement.  I need the USB 2.0 output to be working so that I can finally experience native DSD as well as full MQA decoding from my DAC.

On the subject of which connection (AES/EBU vs S/PDIF) yields a better sound, I confess that I haven’t yet had a chance to compare the two, as in my current component rack placement configuration, I don’t have an AES/EBU cable which is long enough for the W20’s output to reach my DAC... ?

But lots to report and share once the USB 2.0 connector is fixed !  ?

I have posted before that there's no significant difference in SQ between using double AES EBU on the W20 and USB (the latter obviously being much cheaper), provided similar top quality cabling is used. I cannot vouch for the SPDIF connection, but I would be very surprised if it wouldn't have a similar SQ. I do expect that any difference would indeed come from the DAC being used; not from the W20.

I have a few questions about the Aurender N100H. I have been eyeing it for about two years now but haven't pulled the trigger.

1) If I get the 2TB model, can I add a SSD externally or swap out the HD to a larger size? What are my options here for upgrading. (I don't intend to have a NAS, but I am not opposed to hooking up my 2TB external SSD I have.

2) The N100H and C have been out for many years, any word on model updates or discontinuing? Any new "entry level" Aurnder products coming soon?

3) Do you folks enjoy the Conductor app more so than other software like J River or Roon if files are stored locally?

4) how well does it manage DSD content? I have a lot of ripped SACDs, both original ISO and converted to DSF formats. How does it handle these? Does it pass multichannel? Does it send DSD gapless? Are there any quirks between sending DSD vs FLAC vs ALAC formats? I would be connected to my Oppo 205 USB input for a while until I upgraded to a separate DAC and my long term goal is gapless DSD natively and of course all PCM based formats natively.

Samsung 2TB SSD external drive > Oppo 205 USB in > McIntosh C45 > Proceed AMP5 > Mirage HDT Speakers > Velodyne HGS15 Sub // Nordost Blue Heaven Cables, PS Audio Quintet, OWC 2TB Mercury Elite Pro Firewire

2 hours ago, Deyorew said:

I have a few questions about the Aurender N100H. I have been eyeing it for about two years now but haven't pulled the trigger.

1) If I get the 2TB model, can I add a SSD externally or swap out the HD to a larger size? What are my options here for upgrading. (I don't intend to have a NAS, but I am not opposed to hooking up my 2TB external SSD I have.

2) The N100H and C have been out for many years, any word on model updates or discontinuing? Any new "entry level" Aurnder products coming soon?

3) Do you folks enjoy the Conductor app more so than other software like J River or Roon if files are stored locally?

4) how well does it manage DSD content? I have a lot of ripped SACDs, both original ISO and converted to DSF formats. How does it handle these? Does it pass multichannel? Does it send DSD gapless? Are there any quirks between sending DSD vs FLAC vs ALAC formats? I would be connected to my Oppo 205 USB input for a while until I upgraded to a separate DAC and my long term goal is gapless DSD natively and of course all PCM based formats natively.

You can call Aurender. They are pretty helpful.

Jon

14 hours ago, Deyorew said:

1. I was told that the removal and replacement of any of the drives should be done by Aurender. I vaguely remember someone changing an HDD without problem.
  2. There are rumors about something new but the only thing I saw written was that the Conductor app will be refreshed.
  3. There are a few quirks when using the Conductor app but the only thing I don't particular like is the color scheme.
  4. DSD 64 works well via the USB port. You can visit the Aurender site and see if any other ports can pass DSD 64.
    1. I haven't noticed any problems when playing DSD -> FLAC -> Wav in any order. Sometimes I'll notice a brief click during the transition to/fro DSD titles.
    2. I forget whether there is a gapless problem. Perhaps someone that is gapless aware will say something. :)
  5. I use J River on my PC only. I admire Roon but don't feel the need to use it. The Conductor needs a few improvements but works just fine for me.
    1. If the Conductor linked to AllMusic instead of Wikipedia, I would be content

I recommend getting one on loan (or with a great return policy) and listen to it.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Great news (for me). I finally bought a used W20, and it is at my home already.   ?

I already tried it with my friends NAGRA HD DAC and with my own Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC.   With booth the W20 sound much better than my previous server (Auralic Aries).  So I am a new happy member of the family now.

My tests were done with USB, and also a cheap coax, but now I look for a good AES or Coax cable since I understood it could sound better than USB.  It looks like the most raved digital cables are now Transparent Reference and Shunyata SIGMA ! correct ? 

but... should I use COAX or AES/EBU with my Aurender W20 ?  (of course I can try booth, but... where I am it will be hard to get booth on loan, so if someone has compared Coax and AES/EBU with his Aurender, I will be happy to hear the results).

PS: during my initial tests, I had the impression that I could play DSD Ok with USB but not with the Coax connection !  is it normal or did I configured something wrong ? 

5 minutes ago, bmichels said:

PS: during my initial tests, I had the impression that I could play DSD Ok with USB but not with the Coax connection !  is it normal or did I configured something wrong ? 

Super congrats on your W20 purchase!

Coax carries pcm up to 192/24 res only. This is normal. 

Usb is needed for dsd and pcm higher than 192/24. 

Cheers!

Jon

7 hours ago, bmichels said:

Great news (for me). I finally bought a used W20, and it is at my home already.   ?

I already tried it with my friends NAGRA HD DAC and with my own Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC.   With booth the W20 sound much better than my previous server (Auralic Aries).  So I am a new happy member of the family now.

My tests were done with USB, and also a cheap coax, but now I look for a good AES or Coax cable since I understood it could sound better than USB.  It looks like the most raved digital cables are now Transparent Reference and Shunyata SIGMA ! correct ? 

but... should I use COAX or AES/EBU with my Aurender W20 ?  (of course I can try booth, but... where I am it will be hard to get booth on loan, so if someone has compared Coax and AES/EBU with his Aurender, I will be happy to hear the results).

As posted earlier: NO audible difference between even dual AES/EBU and USB when using the same top quality cables. USB is obviously MUCH less expensive. This was tested on a dCS Rossini. Up to you to test it with your own DAC if you want to spend more.

Congrats on your new W20.

its a dream digital transport and much much much .....much better than your previous Auralic.

one tip is to check power cords for it. I tried on a friends N-10 the Stealth Dream v12 digital and it's a blast.

regarding digital cables, Stealth (sextet, Octava) is the leader, if you want neutral, dynamic and lifelike sound. Check Stealth digital cables among others.

1 hour ago, HDgeorge said:

one tip is to check power cords for it. I tried on a friends N-10 the Stealth Dream v12 digital and it's a blast.

IMHO the use of fancy mains products will have limited effect on the W20 SQ unless your mains is in a real mess. The N10 has a single linear power supply powering the motherboards, whilst on the W20 the processing and signal side of the motherboard is fed directly by dc power from one of two battery banks. When playing, the W20 SMPS is powering the HDDs and recharging the 2nd battery bank. It is isolated from the processor and signal circuits. I can see that it would also be very difficult to evaluate through A-B comparison the effect of mains leads because of the reboot time every time that you power down.

I suspect that directing essential funds on better interconnects will give far more perceptible results to SQ

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

On 9/28/2018 at 7:08 AM, bmichels said:

thanks:   will AES/EBU also carry DSD or is it limited to PCM like COAX ? 

https://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard#.W67XVmgzZPY

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rHcXP7PExksxZfkif3Rv2CT1Y_ESpNSv2b0nkKlBySk/edit#gid=0

For the second link, scroll down to your PS Audio dac

-> USB and single AES/coax for DoP dsd

-> HDMi(I2S) for native dsd up to 128

Jon