IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Thanks for your persistence Jeff.  I had clicked the link at the bottom of Chris’ article, and when Tp-Link stated they were out of stock, I didn’t check elsewhere.  Is this solution working well for you?  Are you also streaming Hi-res content?

It works great for me, but I don't stream anything. I have all my music loaded on the Aurender drives, and I only use ethernet for copying files from my PC and controlling the Aurender.

I can't tell you if using powerline ethernet will be a problem for streaming. Hopefully someone else with experience will post.

Streaming via the wireline products does produce noise on the AC line. I have a friend who was using the TP link mentioned and he was also getting hum in his speakers from it. 

I kept persisting that he run an Ethernet cable and sure enough, once he finally did, and removed the TP link, the AC line noise and hum went away as I had suspected it would. 

When I ran all the Ethernet lines through my walls last year, I did. We’d to cut some holes in drywall and I just patched them up afterwards. 

One thought is that if you have existing outlets , light switches even light fixtures in ceilings or AC / heating vents , you can remove the plates or grills / vents (shut off the circuit breaker for them first!) and use them as the holes to Fisch through. You could even use electric tape and tape two runs of Ethernet cable through together to one end and then pull it through from an outlet, etc near your stereo rack and then use the second one to then pull the electric line back from the opposite end (I did this for several more difficult locations and it worked like a champ!! ) 

8 hours ago, DavidW said:

I’m finally replacing my antiquated MBP/A+ combination with a N100H, which should arrive within the week.  I’m planning to copy my music collection over from USBdrive to the internal 4TB drive, and I want to explore Tidal or Qobuz streaming when available.  My problem is how I will connect to the internet.  My audio room is in the finished basement; no Ethernet cabling in walls, and the cable modem and router are a floor up in the family room (about 20’ from my equipment rack, if there were no walls or ceiling).  The install literature I’ve seen only shows hard-wired solutions.  I could add another cable modem & router in the basement, but the ISP considers that to be another service at an additional $60 monthly charge.  I think that leaves me with WiFi. 

Are any of you successfully using WiFi based solutions?  If so, is an extender sufficient, or mesh network preferred for the higher throughput?  If you can share how you’ve set up and how reliable the operation is, I would certainly appreciate it, as I am a relative novice when it comes to network solutions.

Foxman - I found this on page 19 of this thread:

What I eventually did was set up on my access point what is called an IP Reservation. You can also find and change the IP address on the Aurender by opening your browser and entering http://ipaddress of Aurender/network (for example http://192.168.1.12/network) and changing IP Type from DHCP to Static IP. Then be sure to enter a valid address for the network you're on, use the same gateway and subnet mask that has been working so far. Because you're making this change directly to the Aurender it's dangerous. Putting in an address that's either .1 or .255 is flat out wrong, and using an address already in use in your network is another no-go. And if you're even considering this approach it's still best to fence off this address or a range so that the access point's DHCP function doesn't try and give away the Aurender address by "mistake". That's why the guys at Aurender won't recommend this option.

Thanks David, new it was on here somewhere. Much appreciated.

21 hours ago, agladstone said:

Has anyone tried using Roon Server combined with Roon Remote on iPad with the Aurender? 

Surprisingly (to me at least) I was trying to set up a SOtM SMS-200 Ultra using roon server on a Mac with roon remote on an iPad last night. 

I tried for hours but could not get it to work, however I had added my Aurender using the info for NAS Share so I could use it as the NAS / music database and although I could not get the SOtM ultra to work (or even show up as a zone / output device) it had my Aurender listed. 

So I selected the Aurender as zone out of curiosity and I was able to use Roon via the Autender with no issues ??  

I had always assumed that you could not use Roon with Aurender ?? 

Anyone with any more knowledge than me on this have any input?? 

FYI, this was just straight Roon, no HQPLAYER, I never got that far, and when I did an A/B between Aurender internal HD to USB out vs. Roon, the Aurender w/ conductor / USB sounded MUCH better, but as I understand it, you need HQPLAYER and DSD upsampling with Roon for it to sound it’s best ? 

Really? Is there a Roon endpoint (or even bridge) built into the Aurender? That was a surprise!

What Aurender are you using?

CD/SACD: Krell Evolution 505, Vinyl: Spiral Groove 1.2/Spiral Groove Centroid/Clearaudio Stradivari V2, Phono Stage: Audio Reseach Reference Phono 2, Music Servers/Streamers: Aurender S10/Intel Nuc with Roon Rock, DAC: PS Audio Direct Stream DAC w. Bridge II, Preamp: Audio Reseach Reference 5 SE, Poweramp: Audio Research Reference 75, Speakers: Wilson Audio Sophia II

17 hours ago, agladstone said:

@DavidW if you can run / Fisch an Ethernet cable from main router down to basement and then connect that to a Netgear gs105 Switch in listening room / basement , you would not need an additional modem and router. 

It is really not that difficult to do yourself with some patience and some basic tools (long fiberglass Fisching rods and a Fisching snake and 25’ to 50’ if ethernet cable would be more than sufficient). If not up to the challenge, you could easily hire an electrician or home theater installer to do it for you. (I did this myself with no prior experience and some YouTube videos to my entire house! I now have in wall hardwired Ethernet jacks in every room in my home and multiple in my living room, home office, and behind my stereo rack). 

AC wire line adapter will also work as suggested, but in my opinion it’s nowhere near as good as just running a cat 6a or cat 7 cable through the walls or ceiling , etc 

THIS.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

48 minutes ago, SirAtilla said:

Interesting new software update for most Aurender enabling MQA unfolding in the Aurender via a $49.99 license.  Quite a few other fixes as well with the new firmware.

See http://www.aurender.com/blog/new-software-release-note-4/post/system-sw-4-5-11-36-app-2-9-3-93-189

That link shows a price of $54.99 for the MQA core decoder license.  Surprisingly expensive.

The big news to me about the new release is:

Support for Merging Technology NADAC and RAVENNA compatible DAC.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 minutes ago, rickca said:

That link shows a price of $54.99 for the MQA core decoder license.  Surprisingly expensive.

The big news to me about the new release is:

Support for Merging Technology NADAC and RAVENNA compatible DAC.

In the app it is $49.99 despite the screen shot.

Carlin "Rick" Smith

Re: Latest Upgrade

I guess it is time to learn about MQA. Whoever decides to adopt MQA, please know that a full report will be appreciated. :)

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Charging for MQA is kind of cool because it enables those who are against the technology to not pay for it. 

I'd love to know what percentage of customers with eligible Aurender devices actually pays for it.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Will, I'm impressed, I for sure think it is worth it, I tested with some Stephen Wilson, and some death cab for cutie. On the track you've haunted me all my life by death cab for cutie it is just so easy to hear the difference, there is much more air around the instruments and they "Ring" longer. 

Just to verify that it was not "new toy syndrome" I asked my wife to listen, she confirms my findings.

For 75 bucks it is easy the best updated I have done...

Be. Morten

Before going for the MQA software download,  what I would like to know is whether one can switch in and out of the decoder at will to allow for comparison. At the moment, I don't yet see that option. I can't be sure that "Enable MQA unfolding" is a pure switch in and out once the software is downloaded. This issue would be moot for MQA dac's.

I have brought home a Meridian 808v6 in the past for a home audition and comparing an MQA file payed through it with a non-MQA version played through my Esoteric non-MQA dac, I found the MQA file sounded softer and darker overall with significant blunting of transients.

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

13 minutes ago, jon2020 said:

Before going for the MQA software download,  what I would like to know is whether one can switch in and out of the decoder at will to allow for comparison. At the moment, I don't yet see that option. This issue would be moot for MQA dac's.

I have brought home a Meridian 808v6 in the past for a home audition and comparing an MQA file payed through it with a non-MQA version played through my Esoteric non-MQA dac, I find the MQA file sounded softer and darker overall with significant blunting of transients.

From the Aurender announcement: " After purchase, MQA Core Decoder can be enabled/disabled by user. "

Before going for the MQA software download,  what I would like to know is whether one can switch in and out of the decoder at will to allow for comparison. At the moment, I don't yet see that option. This issue would be moot for MQA dac's.

It say on the very first line under "New Features" that the MQA decoder can be enabled/disabled by user.  Did you miss that?

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI