IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

59 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Right. The problem's not fixed then. If a PC has a power failure, it restarts, complains sometimes, but 'mostly' everything is back in its place. When, not if, someone trips over the Aurender cord, or the Utility company has a problem, you can spend hours rebuilding the Aurender. This surely can't be right and would mean the Aurender needs a UPS.

I live in an area with frequent power outages. Most of the time, my A10 is powered on (but not playing) when the outage occurs. However, last week I had an outage occur while the unit was playing. In each case, the A10 spends a few extra minutes going through a recovery process when booting up. After the recovery process is complete, the unit is back to normal. I haven't seen any adverse effects to the A10 following an outage.

7 minutes ago, mrbooboy said:

I live in an area with frequent power outages. Most of the time, my A10 is powered on (but not playing) when the outage occurs. However, last week I had an outage occur while the unit was playing. In each case, the A10 spends a few extra minutes going through a recovery process when booting up. After the recovery process is complete, the unit is back to normal. I haven't seen any adverse effects to the A10 following an outage.

OK, the issue seems to be resolved, because this is expected behaviour.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

4 hours ago, One and a half said:

Right. The problem's not fixed then. If a PC has a power failure, it restarts, complains sometimes, but 'mostly' everything is back in its place. When, not if, someone trips over the Aurender cord, or the Utility company has a problem, you can spend hours rebuilding the Aurender. This surely can't be right and would mean the Aurender needs a UPS.

Sorry i wasn't saying an issue was fixed or not, as ive never had the issue on my N100H. Ive had many power cuts and as mrboo mentioned it takes a couple of minutes longer to boot following a power cut.

my point was never rely on equipment to work perfectly whether it says so or not, HDD fail, so backups are needed.

5 hours ago, jon2020 said:

Hi Foxman50,

I will save you the effort as you have actually delivered me from the trickery of the USB 3.0. One needs to take seriously the words of a fellow audiophile who has likewise invested heavily in an N10 when you made the comment about the USB 3.0. It got me to revisit this issue.

Before I got the N10 home, there was nothing else I could compare the N100H to. On its own, the N100H sounded good but adding the USB 3.0 enhanced its dynamics to another level. When I got the N10 home just a few days ago, I listened to a few albums with and without the USB 3.0. And in those few albums, the dynamics of the N10 was also enhanced.

But as I listened to more and more albums today, I notice that I have to dial down the volume for many of them. And it dawned upon me that the USB 3.0 was adding gain. I have found that adding gain almost always raises the noise floor. And so it did for both the N100H and N10 but to a more damaging degree for the N10. 

But it took the N10's much lower noise floor than the N100H's to expose this trickery of the USB 3.0. And so off it goes, far, far away from the gorgeous looking N10.

My apologies to all the USB 3.0 fans out there but I have to call it for what it is. An audiophile lives by his ears, or dies by them and it would be remiss on my part to not report back the truth. 

So, many thanks again to you, Foxnan50. 

Jon. :):):)

Thanks Jon for the update, very interesting indeed. As you say the noise floor of the N10, well I can't detect one its that quiet. Its simply stunning.

happy N10 listening. :)

29 minutes ago, Foxman50 said:

Sorry i wasn't saying an issue was fixed or not, as ive never had the issue on my N100H. Ive had many power cuts and as mrboo mentioned it takes a couple of minutes longer to boot following a power cut.

my point was never rely on equipment to work perfectly whether it says so or not, HDD fail, so backups are needed.

No problem, if you have less than triplicate of the music files, that’s not enough.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

7 hours ago, jon2020 said:

Hi Foxman50,

I will save you the effort as you have actually delivered me from the trickery of the USB 3.0. One needs to take seriously the words of a fellow audiophile who has likewise invested heavily in an N10 when you made the comment about the USB 3.0. It got me to revisit this issue.

Before I got the N10 home, there was nothing else I could compare the N100H to. On its own, the N100H sounded good but adding the USB 3.0 enhanced its dynamics to another level. When I got the N10 home just a few days ago, I listened to a few albums with and without the USB 3.0. And in those few albums, the dynamics of the N10 was also enhanced.

But as I listened to more and more albums today, I notice that I have to dial down the volume for many of them. And it dawned upon me that the USB 3.0 was adding gain. I have found that adding gain almost always raises the noise floor. And so it did for both the N100H and N10 but to a more damaging degree for the N10. 

But it took the N10's much lower noise floor than the N100H's to expose this trickery of the USB 3.0. And so off it goes, far, far away from the gorgeous looking N10.

My apologies to all the USB 3.0 fans out there but I have to call it for what it is. An audiophile lives by his ears, or dies by them and it would be remiss on my part to not report back the truth. 

So, many thanks again to you, Foxnan50. 

Jon. :):):)

Jon, sorry for a dumb question, but when you say adding USB 3.0 to the N100H: is there an upgrade available? If so, I presume a USB 3.0 compatible DAC is required, right?

15 minutes ago, biosailor said:

Jon, sorry for a dumb question, but when you say adding USB 3.0 to the N100H: is there an upgrade available? If so, I presume a USB 3.0 compatible DAC is required, right?

Biosailor,

No worries. I was actually referring to the micro iUSB 3.0 from ifi Audio, instead of the usb 3.0 version. So you don't need a dac that is usb 3.0 compatible. :)

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iusb3-0/

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

2 hours ago, jon2020 said:

Biosailor,

No worries. I was actually referring to the micro iUSB 3.0 from ifi Audio, instead of the usb 3.0 version. So you don't need a dac that is usb 3.0 compatible. :)

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iusb3-0/

Wow!!! Wasn't aware of ifi. Sounds great, having 'Fighter jet tech to down USB noise'! Imagine, a jet engine roaring in my listening room to down USB noise :D

13 hours ago, biosailor said:

Wow!!! Wasn't aware of ifi. Sounds great, having 'Fighter jet tech to down USB noise'! Imagine, a jet engine roaring in my listening room to down USB noise :D

Haha. Your sarcasm is deafening!

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

8 hours ago, biosailor said:

By the way, does anybody why Aurender has no app for the iPhone and a Mac computer? Just wondering.

I have no idea about the Mac but I was told that the iPhone screen was too small. I suppose they could have redone the app so that it would sort of work in an iPhone screen but they decided not to do it.  

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

2 hours ago, rwwjr44 said:

I have no idea about the Mac but I was told that the iPhone screen was too small. I suppose they could have redone the app so that it would sort of work in an iPhone screen but they decided not to do it.  

I can see that some of the functions implemented in the iPad app would be difficult to implement on a phone. Not that it is important, I was just wondering. However, being someone working a lot on my MacBook Pro, a computer app would come in handy!

I wonder if someone noticed this before: I accidentally added a playlist from Qobuz to my library, and it is now full with single tracks from a large number of albums. Trying to remove those albums/single tracks from my library just doesn't work. Any suggestions of how to remove those tracks? They are in the folder 'Streaming' but I do not have access to this one via the Aurender's HD.

18 hours ago, biosailor said:

I can see that some of the functions implemented in the iPad app would be difficult to implement on a phone. Not that it is important, I was just wondering. However, being someone working a lot on my MacBook Pro, a computer app would come in handy!

Harder to do on an iPhone than on an iPad or Mac indeed. However, the current Aurender Android app makes very clever use of menus that can be slided in or out at both sides of the phone screen. Should be repeatable on iPhone too. 

7 minutes ago, Vincent1234 said:

Harder to do on an iPhone than on an iPad or Mac indeed. However, the current Aurender Android app makes very clever use of menus that can be slided in or out at both sides of the phone screen. Should be repeatable on iPhone too. 

Interesting, I didn't know that there's an Android phone app for Conductor! However, having an app for the MacBook Pro, or any other Mac for that matter, would be really good. And should be doable.

Never mind, I am quite happy with the iPad app. I was just wondering since Auralic has apps for all iOS machines.

I have a lot of experience with other music clients, mainly based on MPD (wich is also the base of Aurender). There are several apps for the Ipad as well as for the Iphone/android. It is very handy to be able to control the music server by phone or even windows laptop beside the Ipad. These are the devices I have on hand mostly, so it would be very helpfull to have other options as the ipad (I dont have any Android devices). I hope Aurender will make other options available in the future.

1 hour ago, edje said:

I have a lot of experience with other music clients, mainly based on MPD (wich is also the base of Aurender). There are several apps for the Ipad as well as for the Iphone/android. It is very handy to be able to control the music server by phone or even windows laptop beside the Ipad. These are the devices I have on hand mostly, so it would be very helpfull to have other options as the ipad (I dont have any Android devices). I hope Aurender will make other options available in the future.

Agree, it would be nice if Aurender would release additional apps for iOS/Android devices!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried using Roon Server combined with Roon Remote on iPad with the Aurender? 

Surprisingly (to me at least) I was trying to set up a SOtM SMS-200 Ultra using roon server on a Mac with roon remote on an iPad last night. 

I tried for hours but could not get it to work, however I had added my Aurender using the info for NAS Share so I could use it as the NAS / music database and although I could not get the SOtM ultra to work (or even show up as a zone / output device) it had my Aurender listed. 

So I selected the Aurender as zone out of curiosity and I was able to use Roon via the Autender with no issues ??  

I had always assumed that you could not use Roon with Aurender ?? 

Anyone with any more knowledge than me on this have any input?? 

FYI, this was just straight Roon, no HQPLAYER, I never got that far, and when I did an A/B between Aurender internal HD to USB out vs. Roon, the Aurender w/ conductor / USB sounded MUCH better, but as I understand it, you need HQPLAYER and DSD upsampling with Roon for it to sound it’s best ? 

I’m finally replacing my antiquated MBP/A+ combination with a N100H, which should arrive within the week.  I’m planning to copy my music collection over from USBdrive to the internal 4TB drive, and I want to explore Tidal or Qobuz streaming when available.  My problem is how I will connect to the internet.  My audio room is in the finished basement; no Ethernet cabling in walls, and the cable modem and router are a floor up in the family room (about 20’ from my equipment rack, if there were no walls or ceiling).  The install literature I’ve seen only shows hard-wired solutions.  I could add another cable modem & router in the basement, but the ISP considers that to be another service at an additional $60 monthly charge.  I think that leaves me with WiFi. 

Are any of you successfully using WiFi based solutions?  If so, is an extender sufficient, or mesh network preferred for the higher throughput?  If you can share how you’ve set up and how reliable the operation is, I would certainly appreciate it, as I am a relative novice when it comes to network solutions.

Foxman - I found this on page 19 of this thread:

What I eventually did was set up on my access point what is called an IP Reservation. You can also find and change the IP address on the Aurender by opening your browser and entering http://ipaddress of Aurender/network (for example http://192.168.1.12/network) and changing IP Type from DHCP to Static IP. Then be sure to enter a valid address for the network you're on, use the same gateway and subnet mask that has been working so far. Because you're making this change directly to the Aurender it's dangerous. Putting in an address that's either .1 or .255 is flat out wrong, and using an address already in use in your network is another no-go. And if you're even considering this approach it's still best to fence off this address or a range so that the access point's DHCP function doesn't try and give away the Aurender address by "mistake". That's why the guys at Aurender won't recommend this option.

@DavidW if you can run / Fisch an Ethernet cable from main router down to basement and then connect that to a Netgear gs105 Switch in listening room / basement , you would not need an additional modem and router. 

It is really not that difficult to do yourself with some patience and some basic tools (long fiberglass Fisching rods and a Fisching snake and 25’ to 50’ if ethernet cable would be more than sufficient). If not up to the challenge, you could easily hire an electrician or home theater installer to do it for you. (I did this myself with no prior experience and some YouTube videos to my entire house! I now have in wall hardwired Ethernet jacks in every room in my home and multiple in my living room, home office, and behind my stereo rack). 

AC wire line adapter will also work as suggested, but in my opinion it’s nowhere near as good as just running a cat 6a or cat 7 cable through the walls or ceiling , etc 

Thanks Jeff and agladstone.  I really cringe at going the DOPL route as that solution injects more noise on the power lines.  The wireless solution that Chris mentioned is no longer available, I assume because the Mesh networks are now hitting the scene.

Agladestone -  I also considered fishing an Ethernet cable down, but my joists are perpendicular to where I need to go, which will necessitate cutting holes in walls (ceilings are not an option due to the plaster texturing would be very difficult to match).  I will check to see if there’s something I haven’t thought of from a fishing perspective, but I’m still interested in a WiFi solution, if possible.