IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, JS21 said:

Same here. Have had my a10 for about 11 months now and it’s been flawless since day 1. Absolutely love it, except for the brown layout. Should be just about perfect for my needs after minor a update or 2.

Mr. Serinus should brobably lay off the eggnog before evaluating components!

I stopped taking him seriously when he referred to $5500 as “budget conscious”.o.O

Anyway, a Happy Holidays to everyone.:)

Well, also in Aurender terms the A10 actually ís a budget conscious solution. I have walked the Aurender upgrade path myself, starting with the X100L, then moving to the N10 and eventually buying a used W20. Every step up is very, very clearly audible, as it also should be.. So when the N10 is your primary reference point, the A10 will obviously sound 'less excellent'. That's pretty logical considering its relative pricepoint. The reviewer is not negative in his conclusion IMO. The A10 is an excellent all in one solution within its price bracket. But it's not the end of each and every music server that came before it, which it also has no right to be. Just be happy with what you have and put things in perspective. 

Happy Xmas! ?

"However, the A10's misapplication of the MQA reconstruction filter to non-MQA files stored on its internal drive means we must withhold a full recommendation for the A10 until this problem has been corrected."

(https://www.stereophile.com/content/aurender-a10-network-music-playerserver#hL5VAePWzeKRuDAF.99)

Sound quality aside, I have always suspected that MQA dac's may mess up non-MQA files and JA's technical analysis here demonstrates this well.

It would follow then that the A10 would sound much better with MQA files than with PCM/DSD.

We can wait for A10 owners in this thread to weigh in on such a comparison. I belong to the camp where we should trust our own ears more than technical analyses.

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

Further clarification from JA's measurements of the A10 :-

"It looks as if the MQA filter is being applied to conventionally encoded PCM files when they are stored internally, but not when the A10 is decoding the same data via its S/PDIF input. Something was very wrong......

.....I repeated all of this testing using data sourced from the NAS drive on my network. Again, regardless of which filter was being selected with the Conductor app, the MQA filter was being incorrectly applied to non-MQA data."

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

On 25/12/2017 at 8:29 AM, Vincent1234 said:

Well, also in Aurender terms the A10 actually ís a budget conscious solution. I have walked the Aurender upgrade path myself, starting with the X100L, then moving to the N10 and eventually buying a used W20. Every step up is very, very clearly audible, as it also should be.. So when the N10 is your primary reference point, the A10 will obviously sound 'less excellent'. That's pretty logical considering its relative pricepoint. The reviewer is not negative in his conclusion IMO. The A10 is an excellent all in one solution within its price bracket. But it's not the end of each and every music server that came before it, which it also has no right to be. Just be happy with what you have and put things in perspective. 

Happy Xmas! ?

Agreed to all you say in your post. I have no doubt that the N10 or W20 sound much much better if you have the dac to match it. And it should as we are talking of a much bigger investment. To be honest, I dont really care about Serinus review. I'm very happy with the A10. It fits my budget (and probably the budget of most....) and delivers what I want in a convenient way.  Serinus says pretty much that in his conclusion. I just think it has a condescendant tone and It cannot be expressed better that in the last sentence of his review:  "Those who tend to listen to music while multitasking, or who don't spend hours on end sitting undisturbed in the sweet spot, need not hesitate"  Come on.... by saying that, he spits on my 30 years of listening to music sitting undisturbed in my own sweet spot with my budget set up. I'm sorry my budget and ears aren't up to his level.

2 ch: Aurender N100H, Bryston BDA3, Audio-Research LS25 Mk 2, Chord SMP1050, Dynaudio C1 Signature, Siltech 330i interconnects/330L speaker cables, all Furutech Alpha 3 AC cables, dedicated power lines with Furutech GTX-Gold receptacles, DIY stand. HP: (Aurender N100H/Bryston BDA3 sources), Phonitor X, Audeze LCD-X, AKG812, AKG3003

Could someone help me please!!! I just got the N100 and the Conductor App will not recognize the Aurender. According to the instructions, the first time you open the App you will enter a pass code. First no pass code ever comes up on the screen of the N100 and the App never has a dialogue box for this code.

I go to settings in the Conductor App to search for a the N100 but it can't find it. Then I tried to add it by using the IP address and after I type it in, it says it failed to add the Aurender.

I tried the reset in the App but again nothing. I am at wits end with this device. What am I doing wrong?

System 1: Aurender N100C Music Server>Denafrips Terminator and Metrum Octave Mk II DAC>Herron Audio Preamplifier>Herron Mono Blocks>Tetra 606 Speakers. Audio Sensibility Statement power cords, interconnects and speaker cable. TEO Game Changers interconnects. Focal Elear headphones, Lehmann Headphone Amplifier.

1 minute ago, Blakcloud said:

Could someone help me please!!! I just got the N100 and the Conductor App will not recognize the Aurender. According to the instructions, the first time you open the App you will enter a pass code. First no pass code ever comes up on the screen of the N100 and the App never has a dialogue box for this code.

I go to settings in the Conductor App to search for a the N100 but it can't find it. Then I tried to add it by using the IP address and after I type it in, it says it failed to add the Aurender.

I tried the reset in the App but again nothing. I am at wits end with this device. What am I doing wrong?

My guess is your Aurender isn't seen on your network. Can you connect to it to load music or see it in Finder/Explorer? Do you have a network scanning app that can tell you it it's seen on the network?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

20 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

My guess is your Aurender isn't seen on your network. Can you connect to it to load music or see it in Finder/Explorer? Do you have a network scanning app that can tell you it it's seen on the network?

I can see it on the network.

I purchased this second hand from an authorized audio shop and they had music already loaded so I can listen to that music by using the front panel to play the playlists. The Conductor App will not recognize the Aurender.

Update. I finally got it to work. The problem was my iPad was connected to a neighbours WiFi and not my own! My neighbour should really have better security and I better be careful which network I hook into for my own protection.

My next problem is I don't know the password to add music to the network drive but that is something I will ask the shop I bought it from.

System 1: Aurender N100C Music Server>Denafrips Terminator and Metrum Octave Mk II DAC>Herron Audio Preamplifier>Herron Mono Blocks>Tetra 606 Speakers. Audio Sensibility Statement power cords, interconnects and speaker cable. TEO Game Changers interconnects. Focal Elear headphones, Lehmann Headphone Amplifier.

The password is Aurender in both boxes. Enjoy your N100 it is a good sounding player and a rock solid performer. 

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

11 hours ago, Blakcloud said:

I can see it on the network.

I purchased this second hand from an authorized audio shop and they had music already loaded so I can listen to that music by using the front panel to play the playlists. The Conductor App will not recognize the Aurender.

Update. I finally got it to work. The problem was my iPad was connected to a neighbours WiFi and not my own! My neighbour should really have better security and I better be careful which network I hook into for my own protection.

My next problem is I don't know the password to add music to the network drive but that is something I will ask the shop I bought it from.

1. Go to settings
  2. Select "Aurender File Share"
  3. You will see the user name and password on the right
  4. Read the instruction below the password

That should work.

THE USER NAME IS GENERALLY aurender AND FOR SOME REASON Aurender shows the password in clear text. You can change and save it.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Just received this reply from Eric at Aurender regarding the A10

Hi All,
Happy Holidays.
Quite a non endorsing review on Stereophile. The reviewer seemed very confused on how to operate etc.
Anyways, can you please explain the filters, (Analog and Digital) now they are all enabled on the A10 ?
I would like to copy and paste to the Computeraudiophile.com. Or if you could just post there, they would be great.
Happy New Year to the Aurender team,
Russ

Hi Russ,

Thank you and Happy Holidays to you. I was not happy with the review.
Anyway, I will prepare the answer and looks like it may take sometime due to holidays.

I will update you once I prepare the answer for your question.

Best regards,
Eric Shim

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

7 minutes ago, russellbobby said:

Just received this reply from Eric at Aurender regarding the A10

Hi All,
Happy Holidays.
Quite a non endorsing review on Stereophile. The reviewer seemed very confused on how to operate etc.
Anyways, can you please explain the filters, (Analog and Digital) now they are all enabled on the A10 ?
I would like to copy and paste to the Computeraudiophile.com. Or if you could just post there, they would be great.
Happy New Year to the Aurender team,
Russ

Hi Russ,

Thank you and Happy Holidays to you. I was not happy with the review.
Anyway, I will prepare the answer and looks like it may take sometime due to holidays.

I will update you once I prepare the answer for your question.

Best regards,
Eric Shim

Cool. Eric is a really nice and knowledgable guy. I look forward to his reply.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks for your help in this. The first problems were certainly user error on my part but it has only gotten worse. I was able to find the password, thanks for those tips.

I have sent in a request to Aurender so hopefully they can diagnose the problems and fix it. Otherwise it is going back to the store. None of the buttons work. I can't move to the next track or pause it on the unit itself. The screen will just go blank and show random lines and dots. Every time I want to play something new, I open the Conductor App and it has to search for the Aurender in Settings, I then choose it and it builds my music up. I do this five times a day, go into settings and find the player, select it and then it builds my music. Why it disappears is beyond me. The software is up to date and I have the latest Conductor App.

I don't know why I am having such problems. It gets such rave reviews and very few problems. I hope this gets fixed remotely. I wanted something simple to listen to music but this has been nothing of that sort. I have been taking videos of the problems as it might be useful to see what I see.

When it does play music, it sounds great. I just need it to be consistent and work every time I open the app which is not happening.

Aurender N10--Audioquest Cinnamon USB--Metrum Octave Mk II DAC--TEO Audio Game Changer IC's--Herron Pre-amp--Audio Sensibility Statement IC's--Herron Mono Blocks--Audio Sensibility Statement speaker cable--Tetra 606 speakers. Audio Sensibility Statement power cord.

34 minutes ago, Blakcloud said:

Thanks for your help in this. The first problems were certainly user error on my part but it has only gotten worse. I was able to find the password, thanks for those tips.

I have sent in a request to Aurender so hopefully they can diagnose the problems and fix it. Otherwise it is going back to the store. None of the buttons work. I can't move to the next track or pause it on the unit itself. The screen will just go blank and show random lines and dots. Every time I want to play something new, I open the Conductor App and it has to search for the Aurender in Settings, I then choose it and it builds my music up. I do this five times a day, go into settings and find the player, select it and then it builds my music. Why it disappears is beyond me. The software is up to date and I have the latest Conductor App.

I don't know why I am having such problems. It gets such rave reviews and very few problems. I hope this gets fixed remotely. I wanted something simple to listen to music but this has been nothing of that sort. I have been taking videos of the problems as it might be useful to see what I see.

When it does play music, it sounds great. I just need it to be consistent and work every time I open the app which is not happening.

Aurender N10--Audioquest Cinnamon USB--Metrum Octave Mk II DAC--TEO Audio Game Changer IC's--Herron Pre-amp--Audio Sensibility Statement IC's--Herron Mono Blocks--Audio Sensibility Statement speaker cable--Tetra 606 speakers. Audio Sensibility Statement power cord.

If you purchased from a dealer, s/he makes a commission on every sale and part of that commission is to support customers with problems like this. Bring it to the store and have the dealer set it up right there, so when you get home there is nothing left to do but listen.

12 hours ago, Blakcloud said:

When screens go blank, and there's odd characters on screen, the processor or its power supply is not working. Nothing you can do to have this remotely re-tuned, it's a defect and needs a new unit to replace. Best to consult the dealer it was purchased from. Painful that it stuffed about during the holidays.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

4 hours ago, One and a half said:

When screens go blank, and there's odd characters on screen, the processor or its power supply is not working. Nothing you can do to have this remotely re-tuned, it's a defect and needs a new unit to replace. Best to consult the dealer it was purchased from. Painful that it stuffed about during the holidays.

I think you are right. On Tuesday I will have to take it back. Thanks for your insight. Small movie of what happens.

Screen.mp4

22 hours ago, Blakcloud said:

I think you are right. On Tuesday I will have to take it back. Thanks for your insight. Small movie of what happens.

Screen.mp4

Take your iPad with you. It just occurred to me to ask if the software is completely updated. Probably not your problem but worth a check.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

22 minutes ago, eganz said:

Yes, this is indeed a good review, glad for Aurender. As a matter of fact, this review made me thinking: I am using a N100H and till recently, I did like it. The only thing that for me to nag was the lack of Roon integration. So I switched back and forth between Roon running on my Mac Book Pro and feeding straight into my DAC (Aqua Hifi La Voce S2). I thought the sound from Roon was a bit more revealing, particularly in the highs. Si I went ahead and, maybe not quite logical, bought the small Auralic Aries Mini and set it up as a Roon endpoint. Not bad this little thingy! The highs are better on the Aries Mini (not so much, but still) but the bass response of the N100H is so much better and overall I do not hear so much improvement with the Roon/Aries Mini combo.

So I am totally torn: should I stay with my N100H that I basically like, despite it's somewhat shallow and unrevealing highs or is an upgrade to the much praised but very expensive N10 worth the money? Is the N10 so much more superior to the N100H? What I truly like with Aurender is the all-in-one package, whereas the Roon-Aries combo is a bit clumsy requiring Roon running on a core!

So, N10/N100H owners, what should I do? Thanks for input!

6 hours ago, biosailor said:

Yes, this is indeed a good review, glad for Aurender. As a matter of fact, this review made me thinking: I am using a N100H and till recently, I did like it. The only thing that for me to nag was the lack of Roon integration. So I switched back and forth between Roon running on my Mac Book Pro and feeding straight into my DAC (Aqua Hifi La Voce S2). I thought the sound from Roon was a bit more revealing, particularly in the highs. Si I went ahead and, maybe not quite logical, bought the small Auralic Aries Mini and set it up as a Roon endpoint. Not bad this little thingy! The highs are better on the Aries Mini (not so much, but still) but the bass response of the N100H is so much better and overall I do not hear so much improvement with the Roon/Aries Mini combo.

So I am totally torn: should I stay with my N100H that I basically like, despite it's somewhat shallow and unrevealing highs or is an upgrade to the much praised but very expensive N10 worth the money? Is the N10 so much more superior to the N100H? What I truly like with Aurender is the all-in-one package, whereas the Roon-Aries combo is a bit clumsy requiring Roon running on a core!

So, N10/N100H owners, what should I do? Thanks for input!

Hard to give a proper advice for a system I'm not familiar with. However, what I can tell you from my own experience is that the N10 was a very significant improvement from my previous X100L (so not an N100H, but a similar SQ). But obviously all the rest will depend on the rest of your audio system and also on your own ears. ? Any good dealer will/should be willing to demo an N10 in your own system and listening room.

19 hours ago, Vincent1234 said:

Hard to give a proper advice for a system I'm not familiar with. However, what I can tell you from my own experience is that the N10 was a very significant improvement from my previous X100L (so not an N100H, but a similar SQ). But obviously all the rest will depend on the rest of your audio system and also on your own ears. ? Any good dealer will/should be willing to demo an N10 in your own system and listening room.

I‘m aware that proper advice is hard to give. I did some careful comparison between the Aries Mini, Aurender N100H and the Mac Book Pro feeding my DAC. Aries Mini and Mac Book used Roon, while, naturally, the Aurender was using the Conductor app. All in all, the Aurender gave the most balanced SQ, meaning that bass and highs were best represented, while I still preferred a bit more extended highs from the N100H. But to me it was the winner.

The Aries Mini sometimes had an unpleasantly ringing sound in the highs, whereas the Mac Book straight into my DAC was really well extended in the highs, but bass was nowhere.

So, maybe thinking about the N10 for an upgrade is not a bad idea, particularly since everyone raves about it and telling me that it plays in a different league!