IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

According to this post by Chris Connaker, robertladru has been banned from this site.

I have not experienced dropouts or skipping with any of the Aurenders here (X100L, N100 w/ SSD, W20). As for which model you choose I recommend checking the selection guide on the Aurender site. You can read what others have posted about the sound quality compared to others such as the Auralic Aries and Mac Mini, and perhaps some will chime in here since I am biased.

Brian-

In another thread you mentioned the N10, yet the selection guide does not show it, nor could I find any information on it. The selection guide is very useful BTW.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Brian-

In another thread you mentioned the N10, yet the selection guide does not show it, nor could I find any information on it. The selection guide is very useful BTW.

There is a link to the N10 page below the picture in the selection guide. Here is the link.

My N10 will arrive probably this Friday. Because I have a special event here next weekend with Brian Zolner of Bricasti to demo the M1 DAC and M28 monoblocks, Aurender did us a favor by shipping mine early. Very excited.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

Hey Folks. Unfortunately these Aurender discussions have been disrupted by the postings of robertladru and have really gotten things off topic (IMO). I am extremely interested in hearing about the user experiences of owners of these units. How do they perform? What level of SQ? Is the music player stable or are you encountering playback issues such as dropouts, track skipping? How does the user experience compare with that of a computer platform? Please let us know. I am seriously considering either the N100 or X100 (not sure which is best for my set up). I am starting to get tired of all the variables that can complicate computer-based playback. TIA

I bought a N100H about two weeks ago.. LOVE IT! Sounds better than my Auralic Aries.. totally stable playing from the internal drive or streaming from a Nas.. My only regret is I can't afford the new N10!

As far as compared to a PC or Mac mini don't know.. I never wanted a computer in my listening room. I did muck around a bit with J.River on my iMac via Devialet AIR, but I grew tired of having to deal with the computer to just listen to music.. My advise either get one to demo at home or just pull the trigger, you'll be happy..

There is a link to the N10 page below the picture in the selection guide. Here is the link.

My N10 will arrive probably this Friday. Because I have a special event here next weekend with Brian Zolner of Bricasti to demo the M1 DAC and M28 monoblocks, Aurender did us a favor by shipping mine early. Very excited.

Thank you. I see it now in the selection guide under the "the need spdf?" branch. At $8000, I need't worry about it.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Hey Folks. Unfortunately these Aurender discussions have been disrupted by the postings of robertladru and have really gotten things off topic (IMO). I am extremely interested in hearing about the user experiences of owners of these units. How do they perform? What level of SQ? Is the music player stable or are you encountering playback issues such as dropouts, track skipping? How does the user experience compare with that of a computer platform? Please let us know. I am seriously considering either the N100 or X100 (not sure which is best for my set up). I am starting to get tired of all the variables that can complicate computer-based playback. TIA

I was with the same doubt on which one to choose. The dealer I bought mine recommended the N100 because of its linear power source. I am very happy with N100. Compared it with MacBook Pro playing with Audirvana and HQPlayer. N100 much, much better.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

Great comments, thanks.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I posted this recently "I have just upgraded to a Aurender N100s from an Aries. Big jump up in SQ. The Aurender mates real well with Modwright Oppo 105D. I want to listen to vocals all day. Male and female they are so right. Perfect texture. Delicate high end with deep soundstage. Quality piece. I been thru the Mac Mini, Bryston BDP-1 and the Aries. This should keep me satisfied.

The reviews of the x100 are applicable to the N series but I think with the upgraded power supply the N series may have a small advantage. I have played it off of a portable 1 tb passport and it sounded excellent. I have an Amber Regen on order. If this can kick it up a notch would really be a bonus"

The Regan certainly lives up to its billing. The Aurender has preformed flawlessly and Tidal sounds even that much better than it did with the Aries. You will not be disappointed in this Player!! Add the Regan for another climb up the ladder.

Russ

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

I am waiting for a Regen too. Let's see how it works with the N100

Same here... regardless with the TotalDAC USB filter and optical LAN isolation the N100 already sounds utterly sublime.

I cannot imagine that there is much more to come in terms of music enjoyment.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

I've had my X100L for some time now (before Tidal, etc.) and have come to love it. It is smooth yet revealing and mates exceedingly well with my Devialet 200. I like it so much that I am now hesitating to replace my Magnepan 1.7 speakers, most of the things that I didn't like about my sound and attributed to the speakers are now gone. BUT I know that there are better options, I just have more time (less upgradeitis :)) to get the best option.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

The W20 and the S10 I think it was had the AES/S/PDIF outputs and the X100x series only had the USB output.

From Astrotoy mentioning of the N20, here's an Aurender link for the N10. The N10 has 2 x 2TB drives + the 128GB SSD for playback. Also a on the fly conversion for DSD to PCM (why... anyway). Interesting. Welcome to see the inclusion of AES3, could be to appease the BADA owners, but a worthwhile output as well as USB.

This model would be priced above the X series I'd say, but by how much?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The W20 and the S10 I think it was had the AES/S/PDIF outputs and the X100x series only had the USB output.

From Astrotoy mentioning of the N20, here's an Aurender link for the N10. The N10 has 2 x 2TB drives + the 128GB SSD for playback. Also a on the fly conversion for DSD to PCM (why... anyway). Interesting. Welcome to see the inclusion of AES3, could be to appease the BADA owners, but a worthwhile output as well as USB.

This model would be priced above the X series I'd say, but by how much?

Both the N10 and W20 can convert DSD to PCM on the fly over SPDIF and AES/EBU, for the purpose of being able to play DSD files through DACs that are PCM only, and there are a couple of resolution options, I believe 176.4 and 88.2 kHz.

The N10 retails for $7999. The first production run sold out; the second somewhat larger production run should be available around early August.

My N10 should arrive in about an hour :-)

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Both the N10 and W20 can convert DSD to PCM on the fly over SPDIF and AES/EBU, for the purpose of being able to play DSD files through DACs that are PCM only, and there are a couple of resolution options, I believe 176.4 and 88.2 kHz.

The N10 retails for $7999. The first production run sold out; the second somewhat larger production run should be available around early August.

My N10 should arrive in about an hour :-)

SOLD OUT? Sold out to who? :) I didn't think it was on the market yet. It would be nice if there was an option for 3tb HDDs. I'll wait to see how much better it is than the X or N100s and how much I spend on my new speakers. Then I think/hope my upgrade demons will be satisfied for a very long time.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Just confirming my S10 has AES/XLR, S/PDIF and USB outputs. Fwiw, I intend to sell mine and upgrade to the N10 when it becomes available. I'm really anxious to see how Aurender works with Roon in the future. My hope is they incorporate the Roon software on to their internal SSD so a redundant outboard computer is no longer needed.

Kenreau

Synology NAS> Aurender W20> AQ Wel AES/XLR> Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wire> Vandersteen 5As.

SOLD OUT? Sold out to who? :) I didn't think it was on the market yet. It would be nice if there was an option for 3tb HDDs. I'll wait to see how much better it is than the X or N100s and how much I spend on my new speakers. Then I think/hope my upgrade demons will be satisfied for a very long time.

I was told the first run was 50 units. A lot of dealers ordered them, and some wanted some for customers. The second run will be larger, and a bunch of them are sold.

The eagle has landed. I should know by tomorrow at the latest how it stacks up against the W20. It might be closer than you think.

It may be possible to substitute larger capacity drives. I'll ask.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

It may be possible to substitute larger capacity drives. I'll ask.

The N10 uses 2.5 inch hard drives. When capacities larger than 2TB are available, perhaps this will be possible. Meanwhile a NAS is the solution for those whose music libraries are larger.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

The N10 uses 2.5 inch hard drives. When capacities larger than 2TB are available, perhaps this will be possible. Meanwhile a NAS is the solution for those whose music libraries are larger.

Thanks for the pricing information while attainable still some clouds.... for those of us with large libraries >4TB external to the N10. If the internal drive on the N10 caches tracks that are currently playable, at some point the cache must fill and be discarded for newer information. Is it on FIFO basis, or is there some kind of search indexer which keeps a track of where files are located. Sorry if this has been covered before.

In that case, all one needs is the 128GB drive and let the Aurender fetch from various locations including network shares. In the past I found a NAS useless for moving large files around, wholesale, for library management, especially DSD and use a workstation type computer, hence the network share.

With the frequency of newer models appearing more often from Aurender, when are the offerings going to stable enough to avoid upgradeitis?

Thanks for the pricing information while attainable still some clouds.... for those of us with large libraries >4TB external to the N10. If the internal drive on the N10 caches tracks that are currently playable, at some point the cache must fill and be discarded for newer information. Is it on FIFO basis, or is there some kind of search indexer which keeps a track of where files are located. Sorry if this has been covered before.

I don't know, but anything approaching the SSD's 240GB capacity is a lot of music to have in a playlist. Aurender could answer your question.

In that case, all one needs is the 128GB drive and let the Aurender fetch from various locations including network shares. In the past I found a NAS useless for moving large files around, wholesale, for library management, especially DSD and use a workstation type computer, hence the network share.

With the frequency of newer models appearing more often from Aurender, when are the offerings going to stable enough to avoid upgradeitis?

Sounds like a rhetorical question :) I don't change my computer or car every year, but some people do. That said, the N10 has pretty much all the features one could want.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Photos of the internals:

Taken from in front of the unit. The three blue linear power supplies are obvious. The two 2.5" hard drives and the caching SSD are on the left side.

N10_EA_3_75.jpg

Taken from behind the unit. The cables to the drives are more visible.

N10_EA_4_75.jpg

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Sounds like a rhetorical question :) I don't change my computer or car every year, but some people do. That said, the N10 has pretty much all the features one could want.

I would prefer a customised build of an Aurender starting with the number of drives ranging from 0 to say 2 to 3 3.5in drives much like a drawer type mechanism. Different outputs like AES3 or S/PDIF can be available on a card(s) that is inserted by the user or dealer. If you don't need USB why pay for it, and if you have an external server or NAS, why bother with drives that will eventually fail.

I would have pulled the trigger on the X series, but hesitated about USB and compatibility with DACs and no alternative output. AES3 doesn't suffer the same incompatibility issues.

P E R F E C T !

That would pretty much be the utopian offering as nobody would pay for what they didn't need and the electronics would always be as simple as possible.

(I would not want any internal drives (save for the caching SSD) and only 1 output)

I would prefer a customised build of an Aurender starting with the number of drives ranging from 0 to say 2 to 3 3.5in drives much like a drawer type mechanism. Different outputs like AES3 or S/PDIF can be available on a card(s) that is inserted by the user or dealer. If you don't need USB why pay for it, and if you have an external server or NAS, why bother with drives that will eventually fail.

I would have pulled the trigger on the X series, but hesitated about USB and compatibility with DACs and no alternative output. AES3 doesn't suffer the same incompatibility issues.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

This is every company's dilemma. Obviously a company can't cater to all requests, even ones as rational as yours. Aurender seems to offer products that cover a good number of needs but not all. I would seriously considered the new X10 but 1) disk capacity is a bit too small and 2) I have never been satisfied with streaming from my NAS (and yes I have compared this alternative on my X100L. It just doesn't sound as good as playing from the HDDs installed on the unit.)

Aurender has a good number of options for us and great sound. If what the products it offers don't fit our needs, then we need to move on. I looked at and used many streamers/renderers and found that for my wallet the Aurender offered the best sound and features for me. Of all the of units I tested (remotely within my price range) the Aurender S10 sounded best but I learned that it was soon to be released and it was a bit beyond what I wanted to pay so I bought the X100L (which sounds better than other non-Aurender products in that price range) and have been satisfied with it (Despite the bane of audiophiles -> upgradeitis. :)