Jump to content

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

Yikes guys this sounds like aurender is really lacking in some basic library cataloging functions. This honestly is a deal break for me and I was so ready for an n100h too. Does the lightning DS software with aurelic lack this sorting functions as well? My next product on the list would be an Aries or something.

Samsung 2TB SSD external drive > Oppo 205 USB in > McIntosh C45 > Proceed AMP5 > Mirage HDT Speakers > Velodyne HGS15 Sub // Nordost Blue Heaven Cables, PS Audio Quintet, OWC 2TB Mercury Elite Pro Firewire

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Deyorew said:

Yikes guys this sounds like aurender is really lacking in some basic library cataloging functions. This honestly is a deal break for me and I was so ready for an n100h too. Does the lightning DS software with aurelic lack this sorting functions as well? My next product on the list would be an Aries or something.

 

I don't think that is the case.  The interface is fine and there are a number of customization options.  It just pales in comparison to the flexibility that the computer-based interfaces offer.  While I would prefer more user customizable options, I can easily live with what they provide.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest listening to an Aurender before making a no buy decision. The truth is that all streamers have areas that need improving. To me, the sound is most important. I have had many streamers in my system and some were lacking in user experience AND sound quality. The Aurender app is not perfect but these are minor (IMHO). 

 

The quality of the music when it hits my ears always brings a smile to my face.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE. Rega Planar 8 with Alpheta 2 cartridge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rwwjr44 said:

I suggest listening to an Aurender before making a no buy decision. The truth is that all streamers have areas that need improving. To me, the sound is most important. I have had many streamers in my system and some were lacking in user experience AND sound quality. The Aurender app is not perfect but these are minor (IMHO). 

 

The quality of the music when it hits my ears always brings a smile to my face.

 

^^^

What he said... IMHO you are in potential danger of cutting your nose to spite your face.

 

The Aurender app will get better... the Aurender sound is already better (than most).

 

;-)

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

 

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

 

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

 

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, r_w said:

The Aurender app will get better...

 

Is that a guess or do you have some inside information? ;)

CD/SACD: Krell Evolution 505, Vinyl: Spiral Groove 1.2/Spiral Groove Centroid/Clearaudio Stradivari V2, Phono Stage: Audio Reseach Reference Phono 2, Music Servers/Streamers: Aurender S10/Intel Nuc with Roon Rock, DAC: PS Audio Direct Stream DAC w. Bridge II, Preamp: Audio Reseach Reference 5 SE, Poweramp: Audio Research Reference 75, Speakers: Wilson Audio Sophia II

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-07-05 at 1:30 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

 

History is the best predictor of the future. The app has consistently improved over the years. 

 

I have obviously missed all improvements in the app during the three years I have used it!? Except from Tidal/streaming, that I'm not that interested in since my focus is my own music library, at least I haven't really seen any improvements worth mentioning.

CD/SACD: Krell Evolution 505, Vinyl: Spiral Groove 1.2/Spiral Groove Centroid/Clearaudio Stradivari V2, Phono Stage: Audio Reseach Reference Phono 2, Music Servers/Streamers: Aurender S10/Intel Nuc with Roon Rock, DAC: PS Audio Direct Stream DAC w. Bridge II, Preamp: Audio Reseach Reference 5 SE, Poweramp: Audio Research Reference 75, Speakers: Wilson Audio Sophia II

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2017 at 9:19 AM, Taxman said:

 

Is that a guess or do you have some inside information? ;)

 

LOL, not a guess or inside info.

 

It has to get better and it will... it makes no sense (for them) not to invest in it, when their hardware is so popular - and their rivals are improving their software.

 

;-)

 

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

 

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

 

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

 

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Taxman said:

 

I have obviously missed all improvements in the app during the three years I have used it!? Except from Tidal/streaming, that I'm not that interested in since my focus is my own music library, at least I haven't really seen any improvements worth mentioning.

 

No worries. I've been using it since the very early days of the S10 and it has come a long way. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

Link to post
Share on other sites

No question the Aurender App could be better.  I agree that improvements will continue if Aurender wants to remain competitive in the market place.  Overall the App works for me, with a few issues but none that would cause me to abandon my W20 for something else.

 

Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites

Between a good friend of mine, we've had a lot of servers in and out of our systems.  Matt has a thread on another board about DAC's that has morphed into a server thread.  There are just many great options and folks need to figure out if they want/need, Roon and or HQPlayer or can they work with Aurender or Melco or some of the other open apps.  

 

I"m personally using a rebuilt Mac Mini  (2008) with a Paul Hynes LPS.  Steve Nugent from Empirical Audio used to use this server at his shows and it's loaded with a ton of well recorded music of all genres.  I've yet to hear a server IN MY SYSTEM AND TO MY EARS, that sounds as good.  The closest so far is the N10.  Aurender doesn't just sound excellent, but they back the product.

 

As much as I've liked many of the servers from single designers or ultra small companies, I worry about the future if something happens to that designer/maker.  Since I'm not a digital expert, I need help.  That's why some of these companies who offer great sound AND an all in one solution that's basically a plug and play situation, it best for ME as well as many others.  

 

I have a chance to get the SGM into the house for a few weeks and I'm probably going to do it.  I really like the guy who imports it to the US and have heard good things bout it. Like anything else, it's got pros and cons.  Some of the other solutions are basically a lot of boxes to max out what they can do.  For me, that's just too much.  Many of you don't care and that's cool too. This is why we have so many options as we move forward.  I think servers are in their infancy.  That's why I need to get something that can be updated for hardware too if needed.  I chose the Ayre QX5/20 (ordered the first day I was told it was coming out) and sold my Empirical Audio ODSE/SE (a giant killer), because their business model allows us to send it back for hardware updates in a few years when it's warranted to give their products a true 10 year lifespan.  In digital, that's awesome and I may not be wanting or caring about audio and it's upgrades in 10 years from now.  Again, that's me and my ears.

 

Threads like this are outstanding and I thank everyone as I learn so much.  Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will make a couple observations regarding the Aurender A 10 in a couple of posts.

Purchased tha A 10 about 4 weeks ago and am amazed by the overall presentation   -- midrange, stage, detailed bass and very detailed and nice upper range.  Have been running it non-stop since adding it to my system. 

Recommendation -- listen to the A 10 in two or more systems.  I listened to the A 10 in two extremely high end systems that were around 100 k each.  The A 10 was very detailed in the first system but the upper end was too bright at times.  Could not have lived with it.  In the second system, which was even more expensive, the upper end was better managed but too dry or whitish (whatever that all means) for my taste.  However, the midrange was more to my liking.  In the end, I took the plunge and bought the A 10 since I suspected it would be a better match in my system which has a fairly good upper range and is somewhat satisfactory in the lower end but really great in the midrange.  Not only does the A 10 enhance the midrange, it is remarkably detailed but very listenable in the upper range and produces an impressive tight bass.

I know this all sounds vague but my point is that the A 10 is remarkable in that there definitely can be a remarkable synergy in some systems and in others, one wonders why you ever thought you could live with it, let alone like it over the long term.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2017 at 3:22 AM, r_w said:

 

^^^

What he said... IMHO you are in potential danger of cutting your nose to spite your face.

 

The Aurender app will get better... the Aurender sound is already better (than most).

 

;-)

Exactly!

 

JC

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Raphael said:

Will make a couple observations regarding the Aurender A 10 in a couple of posts.

Purchased tha A 10 about 4 weeks ago and am amazed by the overall presentation   -- midrange, stage, detailed bass and very detailed and nice upper range.  Have been running it non-stop since adding it to my system. 

Recommendation -- listen to the A 10 in two or more systems.  I listened to the A 10 in two extremely high end systems that were around 100 k each.  The A 10 was very detailed in the first system but the upper end was too bright at times.  Could not have lived with it.  In the second system, which was even more expensive, the upper end was better managed but too dry or whitish (whatever that all means) for my taste.  However, the midrange was more to my liking.  In the end, I took the plunge and bought the A 10 since I suspected it would be a better match in my system which has a fairly good upper range and is somewhat satisfactory in the lower end but really great in the midrange.  Not only does the A 10 enhance the midrange, it is remarkably detailed but very listenable in the upper range and produces an impressive tight bass.

I know this all sounds vague but my point is that the A 10 is remarkable in that there definitely can be a remarkable synergy in some systems and in others, one wonders why you ever thought you could live with it, let alone like it over the long term.

I added a tube preamp to the A10 and love it even more. This pre (Unison Research Unico Pre) is recognize for its smoothness and I have to say that its a perfect match with the A10 in my system and to my liking.

2 ch: Aurender N100H, Bryston BDA3, Audio-Research LS25 Mk 2, Chord SMP1050, Dynaudio C1 Signature, Siltech 330i interconnects/330L speaker cables, all Furutech Alpha 3 AC cables, dedicated power lines with Furutech GTX-Gold receptacles, DIY stand. HP: (Aurender N100H/Bryston BDA3 sources), Phonitor X, Audeze LCD-X, AKG812, AKG3003

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see Aurender give us the choice to link to AllMusic instead of Wikipedia for album information. I know AllMusic has a $12.00 per year fee but they have a larger music database. Ideally we would be able to link to the Roon database (Roon without the music playing feature) and have use of their rich music information.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE. Rega Planar 8 with Alpheta 2 cartridge.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Wikipedia feature is pretty awful/ "low rent" in my opinion! 

First, it only works about half the time at best, second AllMusic is Much Better (Roon integration would be a dream come true, but I doubt we will ever see it!!)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity, I have seen pictures of the web of the inside of the N100H, it looks like there is a very small USB flash drive inside (hooked into a USB A female / "in" connector). 

Anyone know what this is used for? Is this what the Aurender saves Tidal streaming content to as a Cache? 

I know I read somewhere that Aurender can't store Tidal streams to the internal SSD Cache due to rights management and so it uses RAM instead? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is possible. I do recall that when one of the members here had SSD problems on his N10 that they sent him out a USB Stick to fix the problem, perhaps he had to self swapped that USB stick out?

(I forget who, but whom ever that person is, can you "chime in". 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15-7-2017 at 4:25 AM, Raphael said:

Will make a couple observations regarding the Aurender A 10 in a couple of posts.

Purchased tha A 10 about 4 weeks ago and am amazed by the overall presentation   -- midrange, stage, detailed bass and very detailed and nice upper range.  Have been running it non-stop since adding it to my system. 

Recommendation -- listen to the A 10 in two or more systems.  I listened to the A 10 in two extremely high end systems that were around 100 k each.  The A 10 was very detailed in the first system but the upper end was too bright at times.  Could not have lived with it.  In the second system, which was even more expensive, the upper end was better managed but too dry or whitish (whatever that all means) for my taste.  However, the midrange was more to my liking.  In the end, I took the plunge and bought the A 10 since I suspected it would be a better match in my system which has a fairly good upper range and is somewhat satisfactory in the lower end but really great in the midrange.  Not only does the A 10 enhance the midrange, it is remarkably detailed but very listenable in the upper range and produces an impressive tight bass.

I know this all sounds vague but my point is that the A 10 is remarkable in that there definitely can be a remarkable synergy in some systems and in others, one wonders why you ever thought you could live with it, let alone like it over the long term.

I recognise exactly what you described here. I too bought the A10 after a listen at the dealer in a very revealing setup. It sounded very coherent and naturally, although it was detailed in a good sense of way. So I ordered a unit, but in my own system it is a bit thin sounding. It seems that there is some energy missing in the middle/low part of the spectrum. I tried different cables (IL and power), but it does not make a big difference. The sound is so thin with some records that every time I give it a try I suspect there is something wrong with the streamer. There is sub-bass, but the bloom is missing at all, which makes the sound not very enjoyable.

I look foreward to your further obsevations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you using a preamp?  I feel it needs a full 30 days of being left on to really give it a fair assessment. I installed Stillpoints ultra minis and made a huge difference. 

Also installed a Synergystic black fuse and that kicked it up another notch. 

EtherREGEN, Cary DMS 600 > Monoblock Odyssey Kismet Extremes in Stratos cases( Stillpoints, Sr Black fuses)> Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Cerious Technologies Matrix IC and Speaker Cable, SoTM dBl7,

Audience aR2p_TOSOX  power conditioner, Audience Au24se ,Triode Wire labs,Synergistic, power cables. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, russellbobby said:

Are you using a preamp?  I feel it needs a full 30 days of being left on to really give it a fair assessment. I installed Stillpoints ultra minis and made a huge difference. 

Also installed a Synergystic black fuse and that kicked it up another notch. 

Russelrobby, Yes I use a tube preamp (Aesthetix). But I made some progress yesterday.

I switched interlinks, and put another power cord on the A10, and al seems to merge together. I also played from my NAS, but it seems that playing directly from the A10 disk gives a smoother result.

The A10 is now exactly 30 days in my system, so it should be ok in that regard.

 

I think the line between musicality and too much detail is very thin with the A10 because of the utterly transparent and detailed character of it. So I am now at 90%, still have some slight harshness in the voice region. But i think that is a matter of cable matching and further tweaking. I use Xindak FA-gold interlinks and Lovecable speaker interface (the latter very good by the way). The Xindaks are to be replaced. The quality of these cables is very good, especially for the money, but not on par with the rest of the system.

 

Good suggestion about the footers! I have some Ayre myrtle blocks around, and will try them. But since I use  2 inch massive wooden shelves I dont think these will do a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...