IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Thanks everyone for "chiming in"on feedback re: their DSD files via Aurender after the most recent update.

I've been working through this issue with Aurender tech support.

I did discover that they did actually make some changes to DSD files in regards to how the DoP functions (I actually did not even realize that the Aurender handled all DSD files as DoP, I had just assumed it was bit perfect / native DSD transfer via USB, but it's not, it is DoP).

They did change via this update how that DSD is sent as a DoP.

They suspect that what I'm experiencing could be specific to how my DAC handles DoP via USB.

I've shut down both Aurwnder and DAC and then removed all cables and then reconnected them all (Aurender's suggestion) and I've also removed the W4S RUR from my USB chain (also their suggestion), and I think that has definitely helped a bit.

Some of my DSD files sound good again (but some do not). They did tell me that they do not and have not added any DSD filters, only changed how the DSD file is sent via DoP.

So probably more of a compatibility issue with my DAC and how it handles DoP via USB than a problem with the Software update per se.

Also - in regards to person asking about Curious USB, I have used it with my N100H, it did "work" (no dropouts, etc), but it sounded awful in my setup (it made everything very Harsh and the low end was very bloated and boomy)

I am now using the Cardas Highspeed USB with great results (I tested about 6 diff USB Cables and the Cardas Highspeed USB sounded the best by a long margin).

Crazy eh. The Curious in my system was a clear improvement over the Cardas. All about synergy

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

Thanks everyone on the feedback on the Curious USB Cable. The cable is going back to be evaluated as I tried 4 other cables and they worked. Just the Curious one did not so I am guessing something is probably not right with it (the equipment folks have suggested that it is most likely not meeting USB 2.0 standard in operation on this cable-may be the 5V external line is faulty?).

Thanks everyone for "chiming in"on feedback re: their DSD files via Aurender after the most recent update.

I did discover that they did actually make some changes to DSD files in regards to how the DoP functions (I actually did not even realize that the Aurender handled all DSD files as DoP, I had just assumed it was bit perfect / native DSD transfer via USB, but it's not, it is DoP).

They suspect that what I'm experiencing could be specific to how my DAC handles DoP via USB.

I've shut down both Aurwnder and DAC and then removed all cables and then reconnected them all (Aurender's suggestion) and I've also removed the W4S RUR from my USB chain (also their suggestion), and I think that has definitely helped a bit.

Some of my DSD files sound good again (but some do not). They did tell me that they do not and have not added any DSD filters, only changed how the DSD file is sent via DoP.

So probably more of a compatibility issue with my DAC and how it handles DoP via USB than a problem with the Software update per se.

Also - in regards to person asking about Curious USB, I have used it with my N100H, it did "work" (no dropouts, etc), but it sounded awful in my setup (it made everything very Harsh and the low end was very bloated and boomy)

I am now using the Cardas Highspeed USB with great results (I tested about 6 diff USB Cables and the Cardas Highspeed USB sounded the best by a long margin).

Yeah... Dac compatibility... I know that as well... Aurender X100L DSD files into my Chord Hugo TT resulted in drop outs. What about if you play your DSD direct out of the A10, using its internal dac? Any improvements?

2 ch: Aurender N100H, Bryston BDA3, Audio-Research LS25 Mk 2, Chord SMP1050, Dynaudio C1 Signature, Siltech 330i interconnects/330L speaker cables, all Furutech Alpha 3 AC cables, dedicated power lines with Furutech GTX-Gold receptacles, DIY stand. HP: (Aurender N100H/Bryston BDA3 sources), Phonitor X, Audeze LCD-X, AKG812, AKG3003

Yeah... Dac compatibility... I know that as well... Aurender X100L DSD files into my Chord Hugo TT resulted in drop outs. What about if you play your DSD direct out of the A10, using its internal dac? Any improvements?

I have an Aurender N100H , not an A10, so not an option:) interesting that you have also experienced problems with DSD files from Aurender server. Only since the newest update, or prior to this update also? Have you notified Aurender tech support? Jessie at Aurender told me that he has never heard of anyone else having any problems with DSD files being sent to DAC from an Aurender, so I'm glad to know at least I'm not the only one!

Crazy eh. The Curious in my system was a clear improvement over the Cardas. All about synergy

It's definitely all about system synergy!

I auditioned about 10 USB cables from the cable company in addition to the Curious Cables full loom, and the Cardas Highspeed USB (the version that has the cables split in separate sheilding (power and data) was above and beyond all others in my system (including the Audioquest Diamond USB that is so highly regarded)

I have an Aurender N100H , not an A10, so not an option:) interesting that you have also experienced problems with DSD files from Aurender server. Only since the newest update, or prior to this update also? Have you notified Aurender tech support? Jessie at Aurender told me that he has never heard of anyone else having any problems with DSD files being sent to DAC from an Aurender, so I'm glad to know at least I'm not the only one!

Ah sorry. I missed the N100H part, my bad.

Not sure if the DSD problem was on the Aurender side or Chord's. This was reported to Eric at Aurender who tried to correct things without success. My feeling at the time through the e-mail conversation we had - although he never stated it in clear terms - is that he did encounter this problem before with Chord's dacs. That was about 1 1/2 year ago so maybe before Jesse's arrival.

2 ch: Aurender N100H, Bryston BDA3, Audio-Research LS25 Mk 2, Chord SMP1050, Dynaudio C1 Signature, Siltech 330i interconnects/330L speaker cables, all Furutech Alpha 3 AC cables, dedicated power lines with Furutech GTX-Gold receptacles, DIY stand. HP: (Aurender N100H/Bryston BDA3 sources), Phonitor X, Audeze LCD-X, AKG812, AKG3003

Not sure if the DSD problem was on the Aurender side or Chord's. This was reported to Eric at Aurender who tried to correct things without success. My feeling at the time through the e-mail conversation we had - although he never stated it in clear terms - is that he did encounter this problem before with Chord's dacs. That was about 1 1/2 year ago so maybe before Jesse's arrival.

I think it's on Chord's side. I've experience occasional dropouts with DSD with both a Mojo and Hugo TT while using the microRendu as the source.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hi all,

I just discovered this forum and ingested the entire Aurender thread. As I am having my N10 for over 5 years now, I thought I should share my experience, including a simple backup strategy with a Synology NAS.

My setup is a Burmester 911 power amp, a Burmester 088 PreAmp and a belt-driven Burmester 089 CD-player. Testing revealed that the RCA connection between the 088 and the Aurender sounded better than the optical connection. Differences between different RCA cables could be easily heard - although I have no logical explanation for that. The difference between a CD in the Burmester 089 and the same music as a data feed from the N10 is astonishing. 80% of the time my CD player just serves as a wonderful DAC for the N10.  

In over 5 years the N10 had only once a little problem that other users reported here as well. At some point an update failed and it went into a infinite "reboot / reload incomplete" update loop. The support from Aurender was fast and efficient, as good as it can be. That was all. No other issues. Taking into consideration that the Aurender is a PC, this is just showing what a great job these guys do in letting you forget what is under the hood. 

When Burmesters 151 was released, I received one for testing from my Burmester dealer. As the 151 has no digital output (shame on you, Burmesters ;) ), I could not test the 151 against the N10. Comparing the 151 with the 089/N10 as sources for the preAmp, I think they are close with the 089/N10 having the edge. The Burmester software is no challenger for the iOS Conductor app.

Talking about the Conductor app, the app has improved in the most important areas, we now have ratings, streaming and no "full restart if you reopen the app". I could think of many improvements, starting with the colour (why not make this a choice?) and ending with a switch to ignore MacOS-file related "Can't analyse file" messages in the scanning. But the software works and is reliable in everything which it does. If for whatever reason it fails, you can delete the data files from within the Conductor app, delete and reinstall Conductor - bingo, there you are, connect to the Aurender, download the tag-file, it is working again. 

Does it sound like I love my N10? You bet, I do, it works like a charm. And coming back to sound, high-resolution files sound simply out of this world. Although my biggest motivation buying the N10 was reducing CD-cover clutter around my system, it has brought me the awesome experience of high resolution audio. When it is full (60% currently) I am going to replace the disks with double capacity. 

On Backup

I saw some unanswered requests by Aurender users about backup. Actually this is easy. The idea is to backup to a SAN and to upload the backup to the cloud as a hedge against fire, theft etc.. I am using a Synology Diskstation as a NAS device and Amazon Drive as a cloud storage provider. Amazon Drive is 70€ per year for unlimited storage!

Within the Synology web applications do the following:

1) Mount the Aurender, so it appears as a folder in your file system 

2) Create a Backup task, to backup this folder (the mounted Aurender) to a local Synology folder. 

Now in case we need, we can recreate the Aurender HD from our NAS.

3) Create a Synch task, to synch the local Synology folder (copy of Aurender) with Amazon Drive. Make the synch a one-way synch, your drive to Amazon drive. For protection from stupidity you should also enable the feature "Do not delete backup folders / files it source files are deleted!" in the synch options. 

I prefer a file synch to a backup-file because it is easier to check if a backup/synch has worked. 

To sum it all up, to me the N10 has been for 5 years a reliable source of most amazing sounding music. For anyone pondering over buying an N10 or not, I can only advice you to get one. You won't be disappointed. 

Best regards,

Ecki

Aurender N30SA -> Gryphon Ethos -> Gryphon Pandora -> Gryphon Antileon Mono -> KEF Blade

Ecki:

thanks for the "review" and your helpful tips in regards to backing up to NAS and Cloud. 

Thanks to your post, I'm going to get an Amazon Cloud backup account ASAP!

Do you know if similar can be done as you describe using an external USB HD connected to PC / MAC in place of a NAS and then sync Local external HD with Amazon Cloud (in place of a NAS within your description)? 

At the moment I only have external USB HD's for local backup and do not own a NAS (I do have my Aurender mapped as a local network drive in my PC). 

Thanks!

agladstone

On 3/18/2017 at 2:56 AM, Yippedidou said:

Ah sorry. I missed the N100H part, my bad.

Seems like since this most recent update, Mytek DAC's can be added to "the list" that Aurender DSD files also have difficulty with (prior to most recent update everything was great, it's only post update since they now changed how the DSD DoP is processed / passed onto the DAC. 

3 hours ago, Ecki said:

[all above this deleted]

To sum it all up, to me the N10 has been for 5 years a reliable source of most amazing sounding music. For anyone pondering over buying an N10 or not, I can only advice you to get one. You won't be disappointed.

The N10 hasn't existed for anywhere nearly that long. I think it's just under 2 years.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

52 minutes ago, bigblue said:

Could he be referring to the S10?

Could be. I mix those 2 up myself sometimes. 

Anyway, I'm hearing there might be a new update soon that will enable internet radio streaming in the US. Should be exciting. :D

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Wireworld Silver Electra PCs..IsoAcoustics Gaia I and II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

Sorry, yes, my Aurender is an S10. I had to reboot it to find out :D

Do you know if similar can be done as you describe using an external USB HD connected to PC / MAC in place of a NAS and then sync Local external HD with Amazon Cloud (in place of a NAS within your description)? 

If you install Amazon Drive local on your PC, you can copy the mapped Aurender drive to the local Amazon Drive and have the Amazon SW do the synch into the cloud. 

Aurender N30SA -> Gryphon Ethos -> Gryphon Pandora -> Gryphon Antileon Mono -> KEF Blade

Okay, I officially dislike the recent Aurender update. Until this time, I've had zero problems with the Aurender app. Currently, I don't have the time to putz around with my music folders in order to figure out what's going on. Albums that were in one folder are now in, sometimes, eight or ten folders. Help - I couldn't care less about tinkering, I just want to play good music.

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo

Pat Case, sorry to hear about your bad luck with the update. This is the very reason I have not taken the plunge yet. And this type of info will put me off for another 6 months. 

Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Oppo 105 (transport), Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC, Brinkmann Bardo, 10.0 tone arm, Lyra Etna, Isotek Sigmas Evo 3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoints Ultra and Mini.

I'm not entirely happy with the Aurender software/Conductor app and I'll wager they're not either:  it's occasionally temperamental and quite complex. I want certainty, absolute rock solid certainty with my music playing and my hard earned investment in said.   I wish it had an Apple- or Roon-like simplicity.  

The hardware and SQ is a joy though. 

Having had an s10 since it was launched and more recently a w20, the hardware and SQ have been a joy. 

The last update however has been a pain. Initially I noticed a slight positive improvement on SQ but since then the software seems to have more glitches than previously. Tidal streaming is occasionally unreliable (although Qobus is fine) and boxed set file handling can be a pain.

i had hoped to get internet radio with the recent update but not yet for the UK market. Why certain European markets get this but U.K. doesn't. No explanation from Aurender why.

Given the extremely slow pace of SW development at Aurender, I really think it's a dead end and unless they decide to partner with Roon or someone else that can assist in building a modern UI I think they will be gone in a couple of years. I still love my S10 for the sound, but would probably have upgraded to a W20 if I saw some signs of development and future direction, but currently there is nothing.

As a replacement strategy I'm planning to test Roon ROCK with a dCS Rossini dac endpoint and compare that with my current S10 and PS Audio DSD. I hope SQ will be equal or even better. The neat thing with Roon ROCK is that it's a "black box" more or less, so you don't have to mess with an ordinary PC/Mac in your setup. 

CD/SACD: Krell Evolution 505, Vinyl: Spiral Groove 1.2/Spiral Groove Centroid/Clearaudio Stradivari V2, Phono Stage: Audio Reseach Reference Phono 2, Music Servers/Streamers: Aurender S10/Intel Nuc with Roon Rock, DAC: PS Audio Direct Stream DAC w. Bridge II, Preamp: Audio Reseach Reference 5 SE, Poweramp: Audio Research Reference 75, Speakers: Wilson Audio Sophia II

On 15/03/2017 at 5:16 PM, agladstone said:

I am having the same issues with DSD on a W20 I upgraded my USB Module to MSB MQA Module and now can't play DSD through USB, I can however play up to DSD 64 through my usual AES 110ohm connection. I understand that both MSB and Aurender are working on a fix for this. I am very happy with my W20 it sounds superb and better than any other server I have tried and I tried quite a few. I love the Roon UI and wish that Aurener would at least give us a choice of either using their software or Roon. The only fordable issue for me is Roon doesn't support Qobuz whereas Aurender does. I am right with the colour scheme people complaints, I wish we had a choice.

Music Sever - Taiko Extreme

DAC's - MSB Select II + Femto 33 Clock + Dual power supplies + Pro USB Module

Amp's - Raal HSA-1bMSB Reference HP Amp, MSB Select Estat Headphone Amp Woo 234 Mono's Elite, Takatsuki 300B, 274B

Headphones - Raal Requisite sr1a, MySphere 3.2, Kennerton Thror's, Stax SR-009 & 009S, Sony MRD-Z1, Abyss Phi TC, Audeze LCD-4, 24 & 4Z, Focal Utopia, HiFiMan Susvara

Cables - DHC OPUS HP, Stage III Gorgon XLR's + Xphynx USB

Power - Shunyata Triton V3 & Typhon QR + Sigma PC's Isolation - HRS SXR Ref Stand + MX3R Isolation Bases

8 hours ago, Taxman said:

Given the extremely slow pace of SW development at Aurender, I really think it's a dead end and unless they decide to partner with Roon or someone else that can assist in building a modern UI I think they will be gone in a couple of years. I still love my S10 for the sound, but would probably have upgraded to a W20 if I saw some signs of development and future direction, but currently there is nothing.

As a replacement strategy I'm planning to test Roon ROCK with a dCS Rossini dac endpoint and compare that with my current S10 and PS Audio DSD. I hope SQ will be equal or even better. The neat thing with Roon ROCK is that it's a "black box" more or less, so you don't have to mess with an ordinary PC/Mac in your setup. 

I understand your thought process, but, honestly, there is no guarantee that Roon will be there in couple of years. The Aurender UI is less than optimal, but so are many/most others. And I am not defending Aurender, and I own one, but there are no clear choices at present.

JC