IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

I wish I would have given the Aurender more break in time before upgrading my pre. After 30 days or so the gap really lessened.

Chris, what percentage is the Aurender compared to your mega-dacs? Also did you try the Aurender as a player using one of your other dacs?

This would be interesting comparison, especially with full hardware decoding of MQA. Could it possibly exceed the performance of dacs ranging from $6 o $10k wih full MQA material at say, 24/96 as many MQA material will probably not be at higher sampling rate.

Sources have advised that the A10 dac i equivalent to $2 to 3k stand alone dacs which say alot already.

In my ears, no, it does not sounding to better than higher end dacs.

Unless, of course the hardware decode of MQA takes the A10 another few level up sonically. Especially if Aurender higher models will not be at least playing MQA at 88 or 96khz. The A10 could be a deal maker for many.

For many of us, we already have dacs, the big question that i am interested in would be playing full MQA. Can it replace a higher end dac without MQA?

As it is the 1st fully integrated unit to incorporate MQA decoding, this i feel is the most relevant question that many will want to know.

With Unviersal now also on the MQA bandwagon, is the A10 a worthy addition. It probably is a no brainer for those who are looking for a network streamer and moving up the ladder, dac wise from a more basic setup.

This would be interesting cmparison, especially with full hardware decoding of MQA. Could it possibly exceed the performance of dacs ranging from $6 o $10k wih full MQA material at say, 24/96 as many MQA material will probably not be at higher sampling rate.

Sources have advised that the A10 dac i equivalent to $2 to 3k stand alone dacs which say alot already.

In my ears, no, it does not sounding to better than higher end dacs.

Unless, of course the hardware decode of MQA takes the A10 another few level up sonically. Especially if Aurender higher models will not be at least playing MQA at 88 or 96khz. The A10 could be a deal maker for many.

For many of us, we already have dacs, the big question that i am interested in would be playing full MQA. Can it replace a higher end dac without MQA?

As it is the 1st fully integrated unit to incorporate MQA decoding, this i feel is the most relevant question that many will want to know.

With Unviersal now also on the MQA bandwagon, is the A10 a worthy addition. It probably is a no braner for those who are looking for a network streamer and moving up the ladder, dac wise from a more basic setup.

I swore off upgradeitis about 18 months ago. However the A10 looks terribly alluring. I don't expect that anyone here can answer it but, the critical issue is, will the DAC in the A10 best my ARC DAC9?

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo

I swore off upgradeitis about 18 months ago. However the A10 looks terribly alluring. I don't expect that anyone here can answer it but, the critical issue is, will the DAC in the A10 best my ARC DAC9?

I have both the A10 and the DAC 9 sitting next to each other in my system right now. They are different animals. The A10 connected directly to an amp can give you great results, but so can the DAC 9 connected to a music server and through a preamp.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I have both the A10 and the DAC 9 sitting next to each other in my system right now. They are different animals. The A10 connected directly to an amp can give you great results, but so can the DAC 9 connected to a music server and through a preamp.

Well, this is a stroke of luck. Do these different animals speak music differently? I'm mostly a jazz and classical aficionado (he says as he listens to Kendrick Lamar through Tidal). My DAC9 is fed by an N100H and in turn feeds an Ayre pre/power arrangement. My dealer has the A10 but hasn't had an opportunity to critically listen to it. I'd be interested in your side-by-side comparison - thoughts that might be of interest to others with stand alone DACs.

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo

Well it looks like the brown background peeps are not going to be happy with the upgrade :)

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

Thanks Chris.

Believe that is going to be released shortly along with the official MQA support you mention.

Assuming what was communicated to dealers today is accurate, we could see this as soon as next week.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

Well it looks like the brown background peeps are not going to be happy with the upgrade :)

Yeah, I kinda saw that. I'll take MQA or now...;). Hopefully that's in the pipeline.

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Digital..IsoAcoustics Gaia II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

I'm not really that bothered by the color, but is the only improvement in the app support for MQA???

CD/SACD: Krell Evolution 505, Vinyl: Spiral Groove 1.2/Spiral Groove Centroid/Clearaudio Stradivari V2, Phono Stage: Audio Reseach Reference Phono 2, Music Servers/Streamers: Aurender S10/Intel Nuc with Roon Rock, DAC: PS Audio Direct Stream DAC w. Bridge II, Preamp: Audio Reseach Reference 5 SE, Poweramp: Audio Research Reference 75, Speakers: Wilson Audio Sophia II

Chris, w.r.t. your remark: "3. I would love a mobile phone version of the Conductor app. Maybe it's too much to ask for Android while I'm at it."

This Android mobile phone version of Conductor actually exists already for several years. It's rather basic however, especially w.r.t. supporting Tidal (it doesn't show the metadata for Tidal tracks), but it performs the basic tasks pretty well. Also the search function for local files is great and very fast.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Chris, w.r.t. your remark: "3. I would love a mobile phone version of the Conductor app. Maybe it's too much to ask for Android while I'm at it."

This Android mobile phone version of Conductor actually exists already for several years. It's rather basic however, especially w.r.t. supporting Tidal (it doesn't show the metadata for Tidal tracks), but it performs the basic tasks pretty well. Also the search function for local files is great and very fast.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Please post a link to the app.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Nice review Chris. I have my A10 for 2 months now and I agree with most of what you say. I'm personally using the A10 as my main source including its dac. Sold my current dac (Hugo TT - had it for almost 2 years and loved it) as I thought it was on par with the Aurender's. I'm using an external pre and prefer that in my set up. Not that the A10 didnt do the job as you said, it did pretty well until i tried a good external pre. I immediately felt it has more bass control on my power amp and a little more grunt (its a hybrid pre amp). Also, I can connect my other stuff (HP amps, extra tube power amp, etc).

I cant wait to try MQA. I dont think it will change my life vs hi rez files I already have but I feel it could be a nice add-on.

Finally, for me, the A10 is pretty much the end of the road for source. The road was long (and expensive - no rich guy here) to get what I wanted and I feel the A10 gives me the SQ (had many good dacs - Chord Hugo TT, Resonessence Mirus, PS Audio Direct Stream, Naim dac ), the flexibility (streamer, dac, pre) and the service (never forget the excellent client service that these guys at Aurender give - Eric and others are great).

Highly recommended gear and well deserved C.A.S.H. recommendation IMO.

Cheers.

2 ch: Aurender N100H, Bryston BDA3, Audio-Research LS25 Mk 2, Chord SMP1050, Dynaudio C1 Signature, Siltech 330i interconnects/330L speaker cables, all Furutech Alpha 3 AC cables, dedicated power lines with Furutech GTX-Gold receptacles, DIY stand. HP: (Aurender N100H/Bryston BDA3 sources), Phonitor X, Audeze LCD-X, AKG812, AKG3003

Finally, for me, the A10 is pretty much the end of the road for source...

I wholeheartedly agree.

I've had many, many different 2ch configurations in the 20+ years I've been in this hobby. From an Audio Note 2.1 balanced DAC/VAC Renaissance pre/Placette Audio Passive pre paired with an excellent Proceed transport. I also had a modded 3910 Denon tubbed APL CD player that I enjoyed immensely but had to sell after a few years because of repair and warranty concerns. They all produced a glorious, "analog like" sound, especially the APL, but they also complicated my system to an extent because I'm also a home theater guy. Space is a premium in NYC :). I eventually ended up with a mac mini/Audirvana combo a few years ago. I convinced myself simplicity would be the way to go this time but the novelty quickly wore off. I sometimes went weeks even months without listening to music because music wasn't as involving anymore.

With over 450 hrs on my A10, I feel it's well broken-in now. The bass, which initially concerned me, has tightened up after the first 250 hrs and the midrange has improved as well. The deep black background really stands out. The SQ is at least on par with the APL from what I remember. The ease of use, simplicity and integration with Tidal is just cherry on top for me. I've once again rediscovered my passion for music and I don't even look at the clock anymore. The music just flows now..

Just my 2 cents.

Now if Aurender can only change that brown background color...:D

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Digital..IsoAcoustics Gaia II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

Well, this is a stroke of luck. Do these different animals speak music differently? I'm mostly a jazz and classical aficionado (he says as he listens to Kendrick Lamar through Tidal). My DAC9 is fed by an N100H and in turn feeds an Ayre pre/power arrangement. My dealer has the A10 but hasn't had an opportunity to critically listen to it. I'd be interested in your side-by-side comparison - thoughts that might be of interest to others with stand alone DACs.

Oops! No intention to mislead. I've got the ARC DAC8 not the DAC9. However my question stands, I like my current SQ and wonder about the A10 output. I'll have to see if I can borrow an A10 from my dealer.

Hi all.

I've just finished listenining to my new Aurender N100H and want to share my feelings. Few hours of relaxed listening after initial setup. Wow, even out of the box (not burned in yet, played just few hours) sounds great!Overall setup, including transfer of my entire FLAC library into internal hdd, took me only 2 hours. Everything was easy and quick.I will wait with definitive conclusion after proper burn in, but i can tell right now it is big step forward comparing to Auralic Aries. More relaxed, liquid, more opened sound , wider soundstage. Conductor app works. Even i still think its ugly.

Now i have few questions:

1 - do you recommend to turn off unit when not in use (via Conductor app or front panel button), or is it recommended to leave it always on (stand by mode)? Not talking about back panel power switch, ofcourse.

2 - what does it mean when there is "HDD" icon blinking on top left corner of N100H screen. It seems to be randomly blinking during playback. I'm going to use N100H exclusively with playback from internal HDD. Is this behaviour normal?

3 - how do i know, what music is alredy cached on SSD? Is there any indicator to this status?

IMG_7650.JPG

Synergistic Research Powercell 12UEF > Innuos PhoenixNET > Aurender N100H > Innuos PhoenixUSB > Ferrum audio Wandla + Hypsos DAC > Simaudio Moon 600i / Gato Audio DIA400S > Dynaudio C1 speakers > Siltech, Shunyata & Stealth cabling

1 - do you recommend to turn off unit when not in use (via Conductor app or front panel button), or is it recommended to leave it always on (stand by mode)? Not talking about back panel power switch, ofcourse.

I've had some issues with my S10 when for whatever reason I have had a power failure. The unit doesn't seem to like abrupt power loss and there is a HD recovery process when the unit is started again. The internal HDD still seems ok after a number of recoveries, but now I'm usually turning the unit off when not in use for a longer period of time. Of course I also have all my music backed up on another HDD as well!

2 - what does it mean when there is "HDD" icon blinking on top left corner of N100H screen. It seems to be randomly blinking during playback. I'm going to use N100H exclusively with playback from internal HDD. Is this behaviour normal?

Not sure about the first one, but I'm also having all my music on the internal HDD and am playing from that drive exclusively.

3 - how do i know, what music is alredy cached on SSD? Is there any indicator to this status?

I don't think you need to bother. I would guess that music is copied to the SSD when played, and the "oldest" songs are deleted when you play new songs that aren't available on the SSD.

CD/SACD: Krell Evolution 505, Vinyl: Spiral Groove 1.2/Spiral Groove Centroid/Clearaudio Stradivari V2, Phono Stage: Audio Reseach Reference Phono 2, Music Servers/Streamers: Aurender S10/Intel Nuc with Roon Rock, DAC: PS Audio Direct Stream DAC w. Bridge II, Preamp: Audio Reseach Reference 5 SE, Poweramp: Audio Research Reference 75, Speakers: Wilson Audio Sophia II

firmware upgrade for Aurender A10 just appeared

new firmware is 5.9.27 replacing 5.7.29.2

takes about 10 minutes

updated successfully

playing MQA track Joni Mitchell River from Tidal: front panel of A10 reads:

MQA Studio 192 Khz

Yes!!!! Thanks for the heads up.

firmware upgrade for Aurender A10 just appeared

new firmware is 5.9.27 replacing 5.7.29.2

takes about 10 minutes

updated successfully

playing MQA track Joni Mitchell River from Tidal: front panel of A10 reads:

MQA Studio 192 Khz

I like the update, as not only are you receiving full MQA there are non MQA albums streaming Hi-Rez.

Blue Tofu, Nils Lofgren's Keith don't go, and Annie Lennox's Nostalgia all show 176 Khz and sound great. The Stones Tattoo You shows 88.2 . Maybe I was not paying attention to this before. Can someone else confirm.

To me the App looks exactly the same. The A10 now has analog filter settings so if someone from Aurender can come on and enlighten us that would be great.

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

...The A10 now has analog filter settings so if someone from Aurender can come on and enlighten us that would be great.

Pretty sure the analog filter settings were always there. Unless you're seeing something I'm not.

Overall, MQA update is very nice. SQ between 44.1 and 88.2 is even noticeable on songs I've listened to so far.

Was expecting the volume setting(when used with external pre) to be addressed with this SW.

Also, would've been nice, as Chris mentioned in his review, to have the MQA logo/blue dot on MQA tracks displayed in the now playing window. Can anyone confirm differently?