IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

57 minutes ago, Emm said:

Imagine what you would say if I would also report that the right display of this N10 is not properly centered with the result that the left fonts are half shown 

I’d be surprised if a faulty display would be fixed through a firmware update by Aurender.

Sounds like you have a faulty unit and should be replaced under warranty! What does your dealer have to say about it?

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

2 hours ago, AriMargolis said:

By using the ACS10 as the workhorse/utility player, W20 has less computing responsibility. With fewer demands on the system, it should perform that much better. Also, the 2X isolated LAN port effectively isolates the downstream W20 from the noisy-ass network! Ethernet picks up a lot of noise which can be introduced into the system without proper isolation.

ok, please explain how this is working? I presume the router is connected to the ACS10 via the network and the W20 to the ACS10 by a usb cable .... ie:

router ---->[ethernet cable] --->ACS10--->[USB cable]--->W20---->[USB or Spdif or XLR] ----> DAC

If so, isn't the ACS20 doing the rendering? It's the one receiving the router commands? 

If not, and the W20 is somehow doing the rendering as the post suggests, then isn't the W20 treating the ACS10 effectively as an external USB drive? If so, I struggle to understand why the benefit of galvanic isolation of the W20 from the network is going to compensate for:

• network induced noise into the ACS10
  • introduced noise from the ACS10 circuitry itself
  • the potential injection of RFI & EMF noise from another USB cable
  • the likelihood that transferring data from an 'external' drive [the ACS10] gives scope for introducing jitter because there is no clock info between ACS10 and W20
  • On top of that, the 'computing demands' on the W20, are hardly going to be reduced....all you are eliminating is the very small computing demands of watching the network for a command to load/render/play the next chunk of data from the HDD to the SDD buffers.

what am I missing?

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

• 1 month later...

@JS21There is a definite bug with certain albums. Some just will not delete, not all, but some.

I raised the subject with support some months ago and they admitted as such and said the bug would be sorted in a subsequent software update. Well we have had numerous updates since then and still no bug fix. 

I have tried the usual like database rebuild and looking for hidden files but that hasn’t yielded any hint as to how to sort it out. 

We are in the hands of Aurender ?

@AriMargolis thankyou. I’ll try support again. The last time I tried they couldn’t delete the albums themselves. But that was a couple of updates ago

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, AriMargolis said:

@Quadiffusor HK this is a feature that we can probably add soon after releasing Conductor 3.0

Hah! The elusive ver 3.0 release! "All things come to him who waits - provided he knows what he is waiting for." Woodrow T. Wilson

@Booster MPS you raise some valid points. However there must be something else going on in the background because the promised update is taking sooo long to appear. It can’t just be about resources, a major update of a piece of software, especially on a closed system like the Aurender is relatively simple and is capable of being done in a matter of months by a pretty small team. Much of the original software should be able to be reused if written and documented properly. I wonder this is part of the problem or if it is truly about lack of resource and or low priority 

14 minutes ago, Vincent1234 said:

Relax guys, all will end well. Beta software is being tested already.

"All things come to him who waits - provided he knows what he is waiting for." Woodrow T. Wilson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
43 minutes ago, JimK said:

thinking of upgrading my Auralic Aries G2 to an Aurender W20.  Would I find that a meaningful upgrade?

I went from 1st gen Auralic Aries to W20: I know the G2 is an improvement over 1st gen, but the Aries was absolutely no competition to the W20.  You need to try it! 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bmichels said:

Aurender's support agreed that it is a bug that they need to fix, and in the mean time they were  very profesionnal and helpful to remove those titles remotly on my W20.  Thanks Aurender.

It’s just the same with Tidal and I have raised it several times with Support.  They recognise it as a bug and keep promising to fix it with a SW update.  But over a year now and still waiting. Don’t hold your breath!!!

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, bmichels said:

QUESTION : Is it possible to attach an external USB CD Reader to the W20 to RIP CDs ?  

No, not possible. There might be some convoluted way to set up a usb daisy-chain back to a PC/Mac which would do the ripping, but I don’t see the point. 

I use dBpoweramp on a Mac. It rips flac lossless direct to my Mac and then copy to the W20 and my NAS over the network. Ripping to the W20 as a shared drive occasionally falls over. Dbpoweramp doesn’t seem to like it. 

My NAS auto-syncs the W20 and itself every night (I upload hires purchases direct to the W20) and backs up to the cloud every night (along with all my other NAS stored stuff such as photos)

it works for me

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, bobfa said:

I was wondering if you had tried the AES/EBU interface from the W20 to the Kii’s?

@bobfa no, sorry, only ever used USB so can’t help you there.

4 hours ago, bobfa said:

I have been reading reviews and looking much more closely at Aurender.  I have been stuck in my head thinking about Roon.  Now I have a crazy idea... start out with an ACS10 as my computer replacement.  Try it in the system with both USB and USB to the Berkeley Alpha USB DDC.  THEN see if an N10 is the right thing or go for the W20SE.  

I wonder about starting with the ACS100 first...  hmmmmmmm

bob

@bobfa depends what you want out of your system. Do you need the ripping facilities of an ACS10 or 100? That seems to be the first question to answer yourself. If you don’t and you really want aes, then the W20 or the W20se would be the way to go, much better than the N10. As for roon? Well that’s a different story altogether

• 1 month later...

+1 to merge03 comments. I never have the same issue streaming off my NAS or using the Aurender's internal HDD

With Tidal, it has happened intermittently [weeks/months apart] and TBH, I just shrug, stop using Tidal for a while and try again later. Invariably, it is usually then ok. I get it though, if you are getting a lot of disruption, it can get pretty frustrating

Maybe Aurender will find something different for you?

52 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'd try adjusting DNS settings to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8

just curious, and I am no expert on this, but I have manually set DNS at 4.4.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 based on previous advice. Is 1.1.1.1 a better one to consider for some reason? 

• 2 months later...

@kilroy welcome to the Aurender experience.

You are correct, Aurender are about hardware, that’s where they make their money and the software is a support function whereas it’s the total opposite for Jriver. 

the control app is a considerable improvement on earlier iterations and filtering is there but limited. You can get to biographies and album info through the app. It uses Wikipedia but you can also branch off into web searches. Not the same I know. But I have the iPad on my lap when using the Aurender so if I want more info I just call up safari and go from there. 

hang in there, you will grow to love the Aurender convenience, logical architecture and sound. If you ever need it , the Aurender tech support is very good

1 hour ago, Vincent1234 said:If all is fine now I don't see a compelling reason to change.. 👍🏻

+1.....

but then it wouldn’t be a hobby, would it ! 🤪

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Vincent1234 said:

Yes, switch and Ethernet cable quality certainly matter (based on my experience with W20).

I had the opposite experience with Ethernet cable - tried audioquest vodka and found no improvement whatsoever over cat6a. 

But I don’t stream from NAS, I only use the W20’s HDD so maybe that’s one reason  The Ethernet is only used for control

YMMV of course! 

10 hours ago, Vincent1234 said:

For me personally it matters as much for playback of locally stored files on the W20 HDD's. Common mode noise makes no distinction between those and streaming files from the internet. 😉

But I agree it can certainly be system dependant. However, the W20 seems to me to be really sensitive to the quality of switch and Ethernet cable quality. The Melco S100 works great here, as well as Shunyata Sigma Ethernet cables - better even than AQ Diamond but less expensive.

Also here: YMMV.

@vincent1234 for such situations maybe optical Ethernet might yield better isolation at much cheaper cost.  

Not tried it personally

6 hours ago, lmf22 said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I will definitely try it out, but I have a feeling the Aurender via USB will beat my unoptimized desktop computer via Ethernet. 

+1 🙂