IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

I don't think Conductor is so bad that you would actually avoid Aurender... it seems to do what I need it to, but yes a refresh and for sure Internet radio should really be added.

Personally I don't get why roon should be compulsory, I simply don't need it or want it.

Speaking as a business software developer it would be easy for any manufacturer to provide similar functionality to roon, if they wanted to.

Just my 2p

I'm not saying their GUI is 'bad'. It's certainly doing the job. But that Seventies brownish look is really looking pretty outdated now.. [emoji6] And although I'm not a Roon user myself yet, I do think that Roon is paving the way of the future. If you are connected to the internet anyway why not use all that big data about artists, composers, producers etc. in a user friendly and accessible way? And I don't think it's easy to build your own 'Roon-like' application. I've been working in IT for 27 years and developing such an app using so many data sources and maintaining all that code to keep providing a seamless user experience is actually a hell of a job. If it was so easy, why haven't we seen similar apps yet? [emoji6] For me: using Roon with my dCS Rossini network player is currently still slightly behind in SQ compared to the N10. But that will probably be a matter of time, since dCS regularly provides software updates improving SQ. If and when the Rossini/Roon combination sounds as well as (or even better than) the N10 I will sell it including my exotic USB cable; then I will buy a great Melco Ethernet isolating NAS and Roon lifetime and will still have good money left to buy some great music. [emoji4]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I've used a fair amount of different iOS apps over the years to control various music servers.

And from my POV, the Aurender Conductor app is clearly better in many ways than the following apps:

* Apple Remote

* Squeezebox

* iPeng

* Audirvana Plus

* Lumin

Better to me means clearer in usage, more functions (such as creating playlists), fast operation, and more. Here's one simple function that I've not seen implemented the same way in other apps: When you tap on "Clear" the resulting dialog box gives you the choice of clearing the entire queue (common) or everything but the track currently playing. That latter choice, not seen in other apps, is the one I often use.

Yes, an improved Conductor would be great, more modern colors as well. But I'm another person who doesn't need Roon, especially since I've carefully cultivated the metadata in music library -- at least the metadata that matters to me -- over the course of many years.

Dave

Fair enough. Maybe I'm being a little bit too harsh on Conductor. It's just that I'm really surprised why they never thought about offering users other color schemes, which would be a very easy way to get a more modern feel in the current app. I agree that there's a lot of clever functionality in there.

As explained however, I'm in the situation that probably I can choose another way of playing and accessing my music not only easier but also cheaper in the near future. But for now the N10 is staying since its SQ is still superior.

As used car salesmen say, there's an ass for every seat.

Aurender most definitely has a place in the market, as not everyone is thrilled with Roon or JRiver etc... Aurender offers a single box solution to many people really love and I don't see that going away any time soon.

I agree Conductor should be updated a bit. If for no other reason than it's nice to look at something different once in a while. An "Add to library" feature would be really nice for Tidal integration as well.

The people at Aurender still have plenty of goodies up their sleeves. I promise :~)

What more can you tell us, Chris...? Did you sign an NDA..? [emoji1]

My new Aurender N10 was delivered a couple weeks ago. What a beauty, looks and sound are sublime. I now have 416 hours of break-in on the music server and it has blossomed to present a totally convincing, holistic, and captivating performance. The Aurender N10 music server is remarkable.

Find my full review here: https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=37851

31348500335_9759a5ee9b_b.jpg

Agree! It's an awesome player and definitely a big step-up from the 100 series. Enjoy!

My new Aurender N10 was delivered a couple weeks ago. What a beauty, looks and sound are sublime. I now have 416 hours of break-in on the music server and it has blossomed to present a totally convincing, holistic, and captivating performance. The Aurender N10 music server is remarkable.

Find my full review here: https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=37851

31348500335_9759a5ee9b_b.jpg

Just read your review. Very well written and very recognizable to me. Thanks!

Has anyone swapped out (ie "upgraded") the power cable on their Aurender?

Any recommendations, reviews?

Hi Coot. Yes, certainly worthwhile! Probably more so when your Aurender has a linear PS as opposed to an SMPS (like the X100). I'm using AudioQuest power cables, which I like. Just ask your dealer to try out some cables and trust your own ears.

BTW: did you end up using Tidal?

• 3 weeks later...
You are kidding me! I had no idea that I could use AirPlay to send Apple Music to my Aurender! I just did it and, hey presto, it works. Thank you so very much - problem partly solved.

I do understand you point about the SQ arising from Apple Music. Furthermore, I just did a comparison of Royal Wood's "Come Back to You" from his album "Ghost Light". I did an A/B between AppleMusic and Tidal. What can I say, night and day, the Tidal version evinced a depth that was orders of magnitude better than the Apple Music version. The best description that I can give is that the Apple Music version sounded washed out in comparison.

Im an Apple fanboy - I have to admit that this short test jolted me. I'm going to try further comparisons.

Using Airplay over the Aurender is not a very fair comparison to wired Ethernet with Tidal, although it's certainly true that lossy compressed audio (Apple Music) doesn't really compare to playing FLAC files on Tidal. [emoji4] Happy New Year!

• 5 weeks later...
Analog ICs, PCs.

Sorry for not being clear.

No prob. I have an N10, and upgrading the PC twice was a very worthwhile investment. I'm using AQ, but indeed lots of good choices are available. Same goes for analog IC's. I would suggest to try as many types as possible at home in your own setup (when you have the chance to do so) before you spend your money. Cable performance is very much system dependent IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi from a newbie on this forum!

I've had my S10 for a couple of years now and must admit that as much as I love the sound, I'm really annoyed with the user experience. Coming from the Squeeze Transporter/iPeng-world where I had full control over metadata and how my music was sorted and presented, I had hoped for much more from the Aurender.

A couple of years ago I had some email conversation with the Aurender team asking for such basic stuff as support for ARTISTSORT-tag, and was "promised" that it was on the wishlist and might be implemented in future versions of the App, but since then nothing has happened. I have also asked for some kind of product roadmap, information about how they prioritize what goes in the app, but everything has been met with silence... Comparing Aurender with Roon with respect to openness, community/forum etc is a joke - it seems like all focus is on the boxes!

I really hope that since Aurender have no plans working with Roon, someone instead "jailbreak" the Aurender, allowing us to install Roon server/endpoint - in my world that would be ideal. Perfect audio grade, great sounding hardware with a top-notch user experience, but I guess that will never happen...

If the new App-version that seems to be in the pipe according to earlier replies in this thread doesn't make a huge step forward compared to the current, dated one, I will most likely replace my S10 with something Roon-based. If I want top sound quality, I can always play vinyl :)

I fully agree with your opinion that it's really time for Aurender to bring us a large update of their UI. They used to be the king in that area, but I do feel they're losing ground and have hardly added any substantial functionality over the last few years, whereas Roon changed the server UI world in a short period of time.

I also agree on your remark on vinyl! [emoji4] Regardless of the very significant upgrades I have made in the digital area over the last years my trusted LP12 is still the best source in my system. Strange but true.

Isn't that we are striving for is our digital side to sound like vinyl?. Adding tubes with good products like the Aurenders are getting us closer all the time. I love putting on 24-192 album rips and getting a little surface noise and ticks, just like playing the album. My audio buds come over and we can play whole or parts of a 100 songs during a session. Can't do that with vinyl.

Yes, I fully agree; vinyl rips are fun to make and they do sound great in HD. I regularly record my most favourite vinyl records to DSD, which sounds fantastic. And doing so also prevents record and stylus wear. Anyway, I'm off topic. [emoji6]

By the way, I do love the SQ of my N10. I just think the UI needs an upgrade..

Agree, too! I just don't get it why Aurender misses out on a great opportunity to include Roon into their app. It would make things so much simpler. Particularly, since soundwise, everything else is really great! I so much like the way my music sounds when played through my N100H! Great stuff could become much better! I do hope Aurender makes a leap forward!

No doubt integration of Roon in the Conductor app will cost Aurender license money to be paid to Roon and that's holding them back. Time will tell if they will regret their choice. [emoji6]

Chris, w.r.t. your remark: "3. I would love a mobile phone version of the Conductor app. Maybe it's too much to ask for Android while I'm at it."

This Android mobile phone version of Conductor actually exists already for several years. It's rather basic however, especially w.r.t. supporting Tidal (it doesn't show the metadata for Tidal tracks), but it performs the basic tasks pretty well. Also the search function for local files is great and very fast.

Does anyone here use usb tweaks like “Audioquest Jitterbug” or “iFi iPrufier2” between Aurender and DAC? Any experience?

I used to have an AQ Jitterbug between the Aurender X100L and a dCS Puccini. After a few months I removed it and guess what? The sound improved considerably! More airiness and clearer highs. So, be careful what you do. Depending on the quality of your DAC and the rest of your system the results can be unpredictable. I now have the Jitterbug connected to the unused USB slot of my router, to which the Aurender (now an N10) is connected via Ethernet. This does bring some SQ improvement; a more relaxed and more 'grounded' sound. Again: do try and experiment what works for you and what doesn't.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Taxman said:

Thanks! I'm about to install Bridge II in my PS Audio DSD. If that degrades the SQ compared to my S10 connected directly to the DSD, I will test dCS Network Bridge, Rossini and Vivaldi. According to testimonials from people who have tested a network connected Rossini or Vivaldi, both solutions outperforms a direct connected Aurender W20, so there seems to be a path for getting the top of the line usability/flexibility with Roon without degraded SQ. Time will tell if I agree :)

My experience with my N10 and dCS Rossini unfortunately points the other way. The N10 connected to the Rossini still sounds significantly better than the direct network connection on the Rossini, mainly tested using Tidal. I would love to sell the N10 and use Roon  on the Rossini, but for now it's simply not good enough. Hoping for firmware improvements by dCS over time that will change my mind. I'm curious what your findings will be. Let us know!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, BrianLS said:

Hi Foxman50 - Sorry about that :)  I know what you mean.  I absolutely will not audition the W20 in my system.  I'm using a Nordost USB cable to a DCS Vivaldi DAC.  I lived quite happily with that N100H for some time, though - It's a really nice sounding streamer/server.

I have followed a similar path as you did, although my first Aurender was an X100L. The upgrade to the N10 was indeed a huge one. A few months ago I had the chance to once again make an upgrade, when I was offered a used W20 by my dealer. I was curious, but also a bit sceptic w.r.t. any improvement from the N10. I shouldn't have been. It literally took me 10 seconds to be able to know there was no way back. It's really hard to explain what you're missing until you hear it for yourself. The W20 is way too expensive for me to be considered to buy new. BUT: it does deliver and also compared to the N10 it is simply in another league. So happy I could lay my hands on this perfect second hand sample! ?

2 hours ago, BrianLS said:

Hi Vincent - LOL!  I know!  I've heard the W20 in other systems and it always sounds great.  But you can't really grok a component until you've heard it in your own system for a while.  I have no doubt that the W20 would sound better in my system - But I just did a major upgrade with the N10, cables, and some other goodies.  If I don't stop and remodel the kitchen soon, my wife will kill me.  And then she'll have the stereo all to herself.  I can't let that happen.  And to be honest, I'm really waiting to see if Aurender and DCS will ever support DSD-256.  Anyway - Consider me jealous of your W20 :)  Brian.

LOL! Aah yes, our wives... ? W.r.t. to dCS and DSD-256: their current platform certainly should be powerful enough to support it. Their own statement is to wait until enough music material is available, which sounds reasonable to me. But for now I'm especially eagerly awaiting their MQA update. Already in beta since May.. Let's hope it'll be worth the wait.. ?

3 minutes ago, dminches said:

I own both an N10 and w20. I bought both of them used which is why it was affordable. I have never played them in the same room. I should do that to compare the sound. I also have a microRendu which I should add to the comparison 

Anyone interested in participating in the shootout?  I am in South NJ. 

Should be an easy one. ? Unfortunately I live in Europe, so I cannot attend.. ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, merge03 said:

I'm curious to compare N10 SSD playback with and without optical isolation.  Unfortunately, I may also have to invest in a linear power supply or a battery power supply for the downstream transceiver in order to hear any difference.  But I think I may try the optical isolation using a wall wart power supply for both transceivers first, and see if that is promising.

Comparing SSD vs streaming (of the "same" content) is a different kind of test.  I am not surprised at all that there is no difference in that scenario since in all cases the SSD cache is feeding the bit stream to the DAC.

I think the last paragraph is not correct. I have read earlier that for legal reasons Aurender is not allowed to store Tidal data on the SSD and play them from there. Instead only the internal memory of the Aurender is used for playing Tidal files. So from a technical perspective this might lead to changes in sound.

1 hour ago, JS21 said:

Same here. Have had my a10 for about 11 months now and it’s been flawless since day 1. Absolutely love it, except for the brown layout. Should be just about perfect for my needs after minor a update or 2.

Mr. Serinus should brobably lay off the eggnog before evaluating components!

I stopped taking him seriously when he referred to $5500 as “budget conscious”.o.O

Anyway, a Happy Holidays to everyone.:)

Well, also in Aurender terms the A10 actually ís a budget conscious solution. I have walked the Aurender upgrade path myself, starting with the X100L, then moving to the N10 and eventually buying a used W20. Every step up is very, very clearly audible, as it also should be.. So when the N10 is your primary reference point, the A10 will obviously sound 'less excellent'. That's pretty logical considering its relative pricepoint. The reviewer is not negative in his conclusion IMO. The A10 is an excellent all in one solution within its price bracket. But it's not the end of each and every music server that came before it, which it also has no right to be. Just be happy with what you have and put things in perspective. 

Happy Xmas! ?