IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Hi All,

i was reading details of the N100H on Aurender site, and there is a fine print "

* DAC must support DSD over PCM (DoP) version 1.2. Only plays uncompressed DSD (No DST)

Specifications are subject to change without notice. "

What does "DAC must support DSD over PCM (DoP) version 1.2" means?

understand N100H only supports up to dsd128, will future firmware update allow it to support dsd256 or higher?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

DoP means that the DSD signal is "wrapped" in a PCM signal. This makes the interface components consider the signal a true PCM signal and pass it through to the DAC. The DAC recognizes that this is a "wrapped" DSD signal, "unwraps" it and processes it as a true DSD signal. I don't know if Aurender will support DSD256 in the future.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Hi rwwjr44,

thank u for the explanation. I checked the tech spec of my DAC (Wadia di322), there was no mention of any support of DSD over PCM, how to I ensure that they are compatible?

Thanks.

1) You can try it and see if it works.

2) You can contact Wadia.

From the website

di322

+ Wishlist

The di322 digital audio decoder keeps Wadia at the forefront of digital music playback by adding expanded support for high fidelity DSD files to the Wadia line. Via the USB input, the di322 supports DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 music files. PCM files with sampling rates up to 32-bit/384kHz – including DXD 352.8kHz and DXD 384kHz formats – can also be played through the USB input. With the addition of DSD support, digital music lovers can experience and enjoy some of the latest high resolution music offerings. Its 2 optical and 2 coaxial inputs accept music with resolutions up to 24-bit/192kHz, while the DIN input will allow future Wadia models to connect to the di322 at high performance levels.

There is no mention of DoP but the site doesn't mention DSD direct either. Try it and see. :)

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Anyone know when Aurender will be adding MQA and Roon support capabilities? Seems that Auralic have now announced that they are supporting these in their next firmware update for the Aries streamer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just received email saying that Aurender is evaluating Roon. I didn't ask about MQA.

ok, but it sounds like you don't really know for sure, and the description of clean scan

only says it erases metadata.

Has anyone actually tried this?

Interesting question. Which probably doesn't have an answer other than "You can't do it" or the solution is very simple. I suppose that you need to send this to Aurender but I wonder if they ever considered this scenario.

I am not sure why people don't start by asking the manufacturer instead of other users? That's what I do.

It is often quicker from other users. Especially now that CES is underway. But the manufacturer is usually the best source.

You should be able to see the N10s files from your computer (I am assuming that you have a computer in addition to the Synology). For a PC use the network icon. If you can, treat those files as any on your computer. DbPowerAmp will reside on your computer. If you have the same albums on many different drives, I advise changing in one place only and syncing the rest.

Meta data for Classical music albums are problematic for many devices.

Thanks rwwjr44. My Mac Mini is still connected to the network and I can see the files in Finder but handling network drives is all new to me and I'm not sure how to proceed anyway. I looked at dBpoweramp but that is a Window program and I'm 100% Mac. It almost looks like I'll have to obtain Parallels to run dBpoweramp (or is it PerfectTunes?) in order to get satisfactory results.

There should be a Mac product that allows you to edit the metadata. I don't know that much about Macs so someone else will need to guide you with the mechanics. I do know that many PC owners also have difficulty moving iTunes music to iTunes of folders. This is solely an Aurender issue. I suggest looking in this and other fora (perhaps the Software thread). I think if you do that first and learn about networking on the Mac you will be okay. Slow but steady...

dBpoweramp is more for converting audio files from one format to another. I don't see its value in what you are looking to do.

dBpoweramp is also good for metadata editing.

• 4 weeks later...
I suspect nobody has an immediate answer to this, but as I consider upgrading my 2009 MacBook Pro using iTunes, I’m hoping someone will run an experiment for me. I am totally blind and use Apple’s Voiceover to read the screen. iTunes works very well as an interface to select and play music. However, I am looking to upgrade the sound quality of the music and the Aurender systems look like an excellent choice. What I am wondering is whether the Conductor app on the iPad works with Voiceover.

For anyone willing to try, go to Settings, General, Accessibility and turn Voiceover on. Now your iPad will act very strangely in terms of tapping the screen; where a sighted user just touches any button, the blind user can move a finger around the screen to find the desired button and then tap anywhere on the screen to activate an item.

I am hoping someone will turn on Voiceover and then go to the Conductor app. Moving your finger around the screen, can you “read” the information presented?

Glad to discuss off-line if anyone is willing to try.

Thanks so much

Ray

Took a few minutes to get Voiceover working but the Aurender app does work properly. I tried a few different screen settings and as I moved my finger over picture art or text in list mode the voice's information was correct. But things seemed to hang after the first selection. Scrolling my finger over a button works as far as voiceover is concerned but I wasn't able to select an item and play it unless I tapped it numerous time in a row. But this was the first time I used this feature.

Thanks so much for trying. I'm guessing that the reason it doesn't work smoothly is likely the fact that you haven't used Voiceover before - it takes some getting familiar with how to double tap to activate a button. The very good news is that it is reading aloud from the screen - some programs don't work at all.

And how do you like the X100 - that's the unit I'm considering.

I am thoroughly enjoying the X100. Great sound and rock solid operation. The newer model, N100, doesn't have the large HDDs but are said to sound a bit better. If you have a NAS, this may be an option for you.

The Aurender Composer app has what seems to me like a hidden feature: lyrics.

I say "hidden," because when I search the app's PDF guide for the term "lyric" nothing comes up.

Here's how it works:

• When a track is playing, tap the track's cover (small, on the upper left side) to make it full-screen on your iPad.
  • Then tap the full-screen cover.
  • If there are lyrics in the track's metadata, they will then appear over the full-screen cover image.

Pretty simple, yes?

And to get the lyrics into any track's metadata is a question of using your tagging-and-editing application to insert them.

For me, that's iTunes (which works well all the time for me for PCM music tagging and editing, but that's another post).

And I simply have searched for lyrics online, and then I do a copy-and-paste into the track's Lyrics field.

If you have more questions about this, just post them and I'll be glad to, will try to, help.

Smiles,

Dave, who has now given himself more music library editing work and will likely next add lyrics to his pretty much complete collection of Natalie Merchant songs since her website has the full lyrics and so that means they're easy to get

Neat and thank you for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

RE: Furman PF20s

Did you check with your dealer?

The Furmans may not be your problem. You may have a power problem. I scanned the Furman literature and it seems that the power shutdowns occur when an overvoltage is sensed. Do you notice your lights dimming or getting brighter consistently? Is your abode in an apartment complex? Are there any factories nearby?

Check with your power company and complain. Most power companies will put a monitoring device on your meter. Are there any Furman support forums?

Definitely a power ( over or under voltage) situation!! However, I have a small shunyata Power Conditioner / strip and two large Trip lite Voltage Regulators/ power conditioners and a smaller Furman, and non of them "trip".

Thus, I assume the PF20's must be more sensitive (essentially better/ more accurate in a sense).

I live in a large Condo building and the are building huge condo complex on either side of my building and one behind me and one across the street, and these "trip's" are happening while the construction is going on, thus I suspect it is related and not much I can do.

Also, my building was initially built in 1707 (first "building" built in country apparently) and converted to condo's in the late 1970's, thus I do not have up to code electric and I have no ground wire in most of my electric ( I had 3 new dedicated / isolated hospital lines installed behind my rack, so they do have ground wires).

All of the above is related I am sure! I will call Furman tomorrow to see if they have any thoughts / advice.

Hopefully Furman can be of some assistance. Perhaps you should consider safely shutting down the Aurender (or the entire system) when the construction is in action.

I have been completely shutting everything down for the past week since my "discovery" of the situation (the back and forth here really helped me have that ahaa moment as to what was causing my problems).

Oddly, since I have been completely shutting everything down (even my powered subwoofers) and not allowing anything to "sit" in standby mode I have had no more momentary shutdowns / protection triggers from the Furmans??

I may not understand everything completely, but I would think that would have no effect on the Furmans from being triggered via a voltage fluctuation causing a shutdown??

Ah! The plot thickens. :) If there is no load on the Furmans, will they go into protection mode? I am out of my element now but perhaps one of your components is malfunctioning?

Does the new app update seem slow when selected. It seems to take a few extra seconds for album art to display.

Yes, It may only be a few seconds but its one of those things I found so great about the Aurender, was its instant access. To be honest it seems slightly slower full stop, selecting "most recently added" seems slower also. Im using a 3rd gen iPad if this is significant.

I look forward to updates but they always bring problems. Software changes = new bugs or problems.:(

Nice N100H at audiostream.com

Wondering if anyone else has experienced the following: after an update to the WiFi access point (reboot typically happens) the Aurender does not have the original/last IP address though everything else that's WiFi connected is working as before? Resolution is to have the Aurender Conductor app "find" the Aurender server again and add it again with it's new IP address. Seems to me that the Aurender is not following the correct DHCP conventions with the Access Point. Should request a renew rather than release of the IP it had, so it's not given a whole new IP address.

I think it has always been like that. It is irritating but I never got around to reporting it. Once the music starts...:)

• 1 month later...

A new update for the Conductor app is available. It is supposed to allow multitasking. It is not listed on the Aurender site yet.

Version 5.5.76

I really like this latest upgrade. It seems to be much faster than the last upgrade and the "multitasking" erases my last real gripe.

Sorry to hear about your continuing problems. I agree with @audio.bill, Aurender might be able to help. It is also possible that something is wrong or has changed in your network connections.

Audio Bill and RW,

Thank you. I will follow up. I contacted Eric several weeks ago when I first noticed the issue, but then it seemed to resolve itself, so I didn't follow up.

I'm not sure if I can use the remote diagnostics if the Aurender isn't on the network, however. I'm going to try to connect it to my Comcast router to see if that resolves the problem. I'm pretty sure the wireless router it's currently plugged into works correctly, as I see my music server on the network and it's plugged into the same router, but running an Ethernet cable from the Comcast router to the Aurender should eliminate everything except the Aurender.

AC

Sometimes a wireless node needs to be rebooted periodically.

Hard boot done, including unplugging for 30 sec. Still no USB. Getting concerned.

Can you take your unit to a dealer or friend and see what happens?

RW,

i bought it used, so I'm not counting on any dealer support. And I don't have any friends that can help. I'll run an Ethernet cable from my Comcast modem, then powercycle it if a direct connection doesn't fix it. I can also reinstall my old DAC to make sure the USB issue is not a DAC problem.

thanks,

AC

Sent you a PM.