IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

14 hours ago, daredevil_kk said:

I understand that but the 1st layer of decoding can be done by the Tidal app on the computer so why not on the N10?

Thanks,

KK

Hi KK - You are correct. I hope Aurender models all decode MQA for other DACs to render. I don't believe there's a hardware or software limitation, most likely it's a time limitation on the part of staff. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 hours ago, daredevil_kk said:

Hi Chris,

I just done the update and I think the N10 is decoding the 1st layer. I was playing some of David Bowie's MQA songs and it was showing 48Hz...

Cheers,

KK

Unfortunately, it isn't decoding the first part. 44.1 and 48 are the base sample rates that would be unfolded to something higher for most albums, likely 24/96. 

8 minutes ago, merge03 said:

I doubt that Aurender has any say in software based MQA decoding.  There is a lot of discussion of software based and hardware based MQA decoding on the web.  It's an issue of licensing, copyrights, royalties, and technology partnerships.  Nothing new for this industry.

It's actually nothing like this at all. Aurender is a technology partner / licensee of MQA technology. Both the record labels and MQA want to license as much as possible. All the copyrights and royalty business is between MQA and the labels. That's all done for the most part. Audirvana, Tidal, and soon Roon have MQA software decoding for the first part. I'm sure others will follow.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, steinburg said:

So the job of Tidal or any music player (like all Aurender models except the A10) is to provide the MQA music file as is. And it can be played back on non-MQA enabled equipment (without the benefits MQA provides) or on MQA equipped components to derive those benefits. 

Hi B Steinburg - Thanks for taking time to post, but you stated some misinformation. I've linked to my article about how it all works.

The Tidal app is capable of passing bit perfect MQA or partially decoded MQA. The user can then benefit from MQA as is or send this on to an MQA renderer for full decoding. This is why people are asking about Aurender decoding the first unfold in software on its non-DAC products. 

1 hour ago, dminches said:

Has anyone replaced the drives in a W20? Is this plug and play or does one have to get Aurender involved?

The W20 I purchased has 2 x 3 TB drives and I'd like to upgrade at least one of them to 6 or 8 TB, depending on what is supported.

There may be an issue with power if you change the drives. I'd contact your dealer. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, r_w said:

Anyone had an Aurender freeze at startup on the logo?

I had this before on my N100 and rebooted without USB and LAN connected to fix it, but no joy this time.

I've done the factory reset (about 10 times) also.

Sent them a support ticket. Hopefully they can give me a file to re-flash the OS?

(a power-cut caused it, not damaged as on HQ surge protection)

Never seen this in all my years of using Aurender since the first S10 through the newest A10. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Taxman said:

It's not really about the information, but more how Aurender as a company choose to act. I have been following this thread for some time and provided some comments and thoughts around my S10, but I have never seen or heard any "official comments" from Aurender then, but when someone provides useful information about disc upgrade, they requested it to be removed. The only "inside information" I saw in that information was regarding how to format the drive. IF Aurender would be a customer oriented company, they could easily provide a format functionality in the conductor app, allowing computer savvy users means to improve their Aurenders.

I hear ya. The company is actually very consumer, for its target market. Have a problem? They connect directly to the server and fix it.  There are different business models that allow customers to do different levels of "support" themselves. Some companies want to control the user experience while others don't. Fortunately, there are plenty of solutions available for everyone.

I certainly hear ya. I'd prefer something similar, but it's Aurender's business decision. This decision is very similar to Apple. I wanted to replace the battery in my MacBook Pro. Apple told me to drop the laptop off at the Apple store so it could be shipped to the nearest service center. Total turnaround time was approximately 5 days.

I'd prefer to order the battery online and pop it in myself, but I made the decision to go with Apple and have accepted its system.The pros outweigh the cons when I consider the totality of the situation. 

38 minutes ago, Taxman said:

I have obviously missed all improvements in the app during the three years I have used it!? Except from Tidal/streaming, that I'm not that interested in since my focus is my own music library, at least I haven't really seen any improvements worth mentioning.

No worries. I've been using it since the very early days of the S10 and it has come a long way. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Yippedidou said:

Same here... Apple Airport Express connected by wi fi to Apple Extreme. Works flawlessly for 2 years now. Good luck

10 hours ago, coot said:

I just use an old Apple AirPort Express I got off eBay for $12 and configured it as a wifi extender. Ethernet cabled to the N00H and the iPad connects wirelessly. Works great. Any wifi extender should work. 

The only downside to this type of configuration is the bandwidth of your wifi can be cut in half for all devices. If you guys haven't experienced any negatives, then this is an awesome solution for you. Thanks for sharing. 

17 hours ago, Fsonicsmith said:

Well it turns out I was wrong. My 24 yr old "I know it all and you know nothing" son advised me that my problem was the lack of a LAN connection but I knew the ATT tech had not gone into my dedicated listening room and assumed the tech had simply unhooked the LAN from the old router in the basement and left it dangling so to speak. But once I went down to the basement-after my rant above-I found that the tech had in fact connected the other end of the LAN to an extender of some sort. I therefore no longer think the LAN is the problem. My problem is that my new MBP will not connect to my Aurender N100H. My new MBP replaces an old one that completely died on me. The new MBP "sees" the Aurender under "shared devices" in "Finder" and when I double click on the Aurender or hit Command-K to connect to it, I am invited to put in my password as a registered user and my username already appears but no password (and I know my passwords) works. They all bounce. I then try to connect as a "guest" and get this message; ""The share does not exist on the server. Please check the share name and then try again." Nothing I try seems to work to get beyond this message. What does it mean to "check the share name"? The only shared device under "Finder" is my Aurender N100H which appears to be listed correctly. And furthermore, changing the name of the Aurender does not help and I certainly see no option to fix the problem of "the share does not exist on the server". Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Make sure you're using the username and password set in the Aurender iOS app.

1 hour ago, merge03 said:

I am interested in adding optical isolation to our N10 as well.

What brand did you select?

1 hour ago, Platek said:

I don't believe that device has optical isolation. It is "galvanic separated according to the standard IEC EN 60601-1 (3rd edition)."