IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

I just recently replaced my Aurender S10 with the W20. It is a really nice machine. I've only had a short hour to listen to it so far as I have been focused on cleaning up my NAS music files metadata before migrating them to the W20. Tidal streaming has been working great.

My question is, given the W20 uses battery power supplies for the audio processing related functions, should its sound quality be impacted by audiophile grade power cords or power conditioning? I currently have it plugged into a RSA Halely power conditioner and wonder if the power cable should have any impact.

Thx

Kenreau

I can't answer that one. Did you try a different cord?

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Is anyone currently using Roon with their Aurender set up?

I'm curious if anyone can fill me in on how we Aurender users may be able to utilize Roon?

One of the primary drivers for me to jump into the Aurender pool was the desire to get a traditional mac/pc out of my audio system architecture. I grew tired and frustrated with iTunes, Pure Music and JRMC. After seeing the ease of use and functionality of the Aurender iPad Conducter app, it was an easy decision. Even though I have a Synology NAS (now used for music library backup), I really like the idea of keeping my music files on the internal HDDs due to the Aurender optimization features. In this configuration, all my music is loaded on the W20. It has 1 ethernet connection for the iPad control and 1 AES/XLR digital out to the Devialet (DAC) input. No additional pc/mac needed.

To potentially use Roon, my concern is that I would need to reinsert a mac or pc to my system. What I don't know is how it would need to interact with the Aurender. Is anyone currently using Roon with their Aurender?

I've read of a forthcoming Roonspeaker feature which sounds like it may be what I'm looking for, but I'm not certain how that is anticipated to function. Where would its files reside? (maybe on my NAS)

Thanks

Kenreau

For now, you need to have a PC. Perhaps Roon will shortly have a Synology app so that you can use Roon to get more details via your tablet. I know that Aurender has signed an agreement with Roon but since the processors in our Aurenders are not the most powerful, I do not have a clue what the configuration would be.

I tried Roon on my PC and think it is great but did not buy it since I woul not use it for playback.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, everything was working perfectly. I could rip CD's straight into my Synology DS414slim NAS using dbpoweramp. I could download hires music files from acoustic sounds and then transfer them direct into the N100H ( I had Aurender install a samsung 1TB SSD into the N100 ), and all worked flawlessly. Then, on the 24th of Sept Aurender came out with a new software update. Me, being stupid I guess, updated it. First thing I noted is that the update changed the Aurender IP address. Then I can no longer move files to the NAS or direct to the Aurender. It still works but looks like no new music for me until I get this straightened out. I did contact Aurender, they have been helpful in the past, but they are out most of the week for a Korean Holiday then will be busy with the Rocky Mountain Audio Show. Every update so far has lead to many problems. I wish they would get it all sorted out before release.

How did you get the Synology to recognize the Aurender at first? Repeat and you should be good to go.

Does the app open if the Aurender is completely powered down? Do you have the latest app? Have you tried removing and reinstalling the app?

Looks like the new app may fix your problems. I hope that it doesn't foul more things up. It is always interesting to me how companies can take a great product and increasingly degrade it by "quick" fixes and responding to the "wants" of the public. With every "upgrade" to the app there have been small problems. I can understand the move to Tidal (even though I don't use it) and I also understand the business decision to include the new NAS dependent models BUT now the software doesn't work quite as well.

When it comes to software if you change it, you are going to break it.

Flame off!

Any one know when Aurender is to release their separate ripping unit?

Could it be in this years RMAF?

I did not know that was in the pipeline. Interesting.

The new app has a wiki feature. Long touch an album or track, find the Wiki button on the play box and touch it. This will open a Wiki box (within the app) which will display the information found in Wikipedia. Not Roon but neat. Here I was complaining about extra features :).

I played with the wiki feature for a few minutes. If your album is in Wikipedia, then you may get very good information. It depends upon the albums popularity. I have a number of albums that are not entered into the Wikipedia database. One does have the ability to enter an album. It is okay but not Roon. It would be nice to see this model implemented using Roon's database. We wouldn't need the Roon server/engine running on our equipment.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone else having the problem to upgrade X100 Aurender to new firmware 4.3.155 ?

Upgrade fails at 69% and forces Aurender to restart. Tried several times to upgrade with no success. Unfortunately, Aurender support didn't reply to my mail yet due to RMAF.

My upgrade went without a hitch.

New problem: When I have one track playing and I try to add another or more, they are only briefly added to the que, then disappear. Adding an album - same thing it just will not "stick" to the list. Any ideas?

Never heard of this problem. You are adding to the queue and not a saved playlist?

I was wrong. Eric of Aurender correctly informed me I had turned on the "Consume" mode - by accident I might add.

Those little "buttons" can somehow get pressed. :) When they update the app, they need to make these things harder to miss.

Is there any way to edit or remove some of the buttons on the 2nd row of the ipad app? My current NAS hard drive folder structure has 15 folders below one of the subfolders. I would prefer none of them appear in the 2nd row.

User Nameable Folder Buttons

The second row of browser buttons will show all files (All), 5 user nameable buttons (for Aurender with one HDD and 11 for Aurender with two HDDs), and all folders (Misc.). In case of 11 folders, swipe the 5 user nameable buttons to the left or right and another set of 5 user nameable buttons will appear. The button names can be changed by renaming the folder names on the hard drives.

Up to ten button names can be changed. Users can designate the five (or eleven) folder names by placing square brackets around the folder names – for example, [My Songs].

If you press one of this button, the contents under that folder will be shown in the Contents window. If Aurender has two HDDs and both HDDs has a folder with the same name of pressed button, contents on both HDDs will be shown.

Pressing the MISC button (the last button) will show all the folders except these buttons folders in the Content window.

Up to ten button names can be changed. Up to five folder names on each of the hard drives will be shown on the user nameable browser buttons. If there are more than 5 folders on a hard disk drive, then first five folder names will appear on the buttons. Users can designate the five folder names by placing square brackets around the folder names – for example, [My Songs]. Pressing the MISC button will show all the folders in the Content window.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone heard the N100H vs the X100S/L + Linear PSU?

I didn't think that you could get an X100S/L with a linear power supply. From what a dealer inferred (if I interpret his response correctly), they sound pretty much the same.

You can indeed, Ken Lau sells them...

How I boosted my Aurender X100L

I even read that doing so brings the X100 performance close to the W20.

Not inexpensive. I wonder whether it is certified for sale in the U.S. It appears to be a very robust unit which I hope is very quiet but I hesitate to import something that may not be insurable. I am compiling a list of questions for Mr. Lau and will pass the answers on.

• 2 weeks later...

New version of the conductor app is now available. IIRC Tidal integration is the big feature.

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if anyone has implemented an ethernet wireless bridge adapter with their Aurender product. I have a N10 server and unfortunately I don't have convenient access to a hardwired ethernet connection so I need to implement a solution that connects to the ethernet port and support a WiFi signal.

I purchased an IO Gear ethernet wireless adapter and plugged it into my N10 and the unit wasn't able to recognize or log in to my WiFi network. Please keep in mind that this WiFi connection is only being used to support the remote control from the Conductor iOS app on the iPad. Is there anything special which needs to be done on the N10 to properly recognize this device?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Tracy

Does the device work with a different component?

Yes. Album cover still there.

A FULL clean scan? Are you also using a NAS?

I noticed that after adding a track to the active queue, all tracks disappear for about a second. Flash off then flash on and stay on.

Agreed, I would certainly like to purchase one for my Aurender N100 if it were available.

JC

But your N100 has a LPS. Do you mean that you want an upgraded LPS?

Linear Power Supply for Aurender X100L

Four days ago I received and installed into my X100L Kenneth Lau’s 100 watt linear power supply which is custom-made for t,he Aurender. Installation was quick and easy—no soldering or other electrical skills required—basically it’s unplug the old and connect the new supply, which is a standalone box about the size of the Aurender. Kenneth supplied photos and instructions for the procedure, which is easily reversible.

I was delighted, enthralled, and excited by the new installation. The occasional high end glare is gone—one of the artifacts of the switching supply original to the Aurender. The music plays with grace, intensity, nuance, and beautiful timing as required, into a deep ultra quiet soundstage The bass has substance and weight without bloat. I've not had better sound or satisfaction with my system.

Kenneth Lau (User Name la1209) has a thread on the Buy and Sell forum on this site, by special permission from Chris Connaker. Post number 79 in that thread has a photo of the innards of the Signature Edition supply that I purchased.

I thought about this but decided against it since it would negate the two year warranty.

Based on what I've heard, I would certainly consider trying an alternative one from Mr. Lau if it were available. Granted, the point of significantly diminishing returns may be in play here, so perhaps it would add little to the equation.

JC

Understood.

• 3 weeks later...
My question is based on N10 and the iPad app, but probably applies to any Aurender with an internal drive, and where one is using a NAS for external files.

If a USB HDD is plugged into a rear USB port on the N10, there is a provision in the iPad App to automatically upload the contents of the USB drive onto the Aurender

drives.

Is there some way to auto-upload the contents of a NAS, or is it only

"drop and drag"?

The AMM scan apparently reads the files on the NAS but the files continue to reside on the NAS, so that is NOT my question.

The question is whether there's a way to transfer NAS files to the N10 other than

drop and drag.

thanks

I am pretty sure that some form of drag and drop is your only option.

I always do a partial scan manually after adding albums and it usually takes about a minute or more depending on the size and number of files. I don't know how long it takes to scan the NAS for AMM(?).