IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

On 5/1/2021 at 11:56 PM, tms said:

I'm wondering about the streaming quality comparison between the N10 (which I have) and the W20 and/or W20se.

My streaming is Qobuz and digital interface from N10 to DAC is USB.  At this point, I'm only interested in the possible upgrade to the W20 while still retaining the USB connection.

Does anyone have experience with these. Please comment. Thanks!

Within the right system the step up from the N10 to the W20 is BIG. When I first listened to a comparison between the two at home we were using Arvo Pärt's ECM recording of 'Es sang vor langen Jahren', which starts off by string players playing a note by fiercely moving their bows on the strings. The N10 sounded really rough and coarse compared to the W20, which was so much cleaner, more refined and contained so much more tone that I was literally convinced within 10 seconds. It's very likely due to its battery power supply, which creates a much darker background for the music to shine.

I'm also using USB from the W20 to my DAC by the way.

Obviously audible differences will depend also on the rest of your system. Good luck! 

I have a 4TB N10, would anyone know if it would be possible to replace the internal drives with two 4TB SSDs. I would like to do so myself, which im more than capable, but how do you format and get the N10 to recognise them.

im sure i read on here someone had done this.

Thanks for all the discussions here on this site. It helped me choosing Aurender as streamer.

I use the Aurender N100C as streamer on an Audio Note DAC, this combination is soundwise great. However, mye DAC does not like to switch sample rate on the fly, thus, I asked Aurender if it is possible to fix sample rate to 16/44.1 when streaming Tidal. Unfortunately, they said it is not possible. Do any of you have ideas of why the cannot fix sample rate or other ways that I can solve this?

12 hours ago, Musikkofil said:

Thanks for all the discussions here on this site. It helped me choosing Aurender as streamer.

I use the Aurender N100C as streamer on an Audio Note DAC, this combination is soundwise great. However, mye DAC does not like to switch sample rate on the fly, thus, I asked Aurender if it is possible to fix sample rate to 16/44.1 when streaming Tidal. Unfortunately, they said it is not possible. Do any of you have ideas of why the cannot fix sample rate or other ways that I can solve this?

Try and adjust the delay for switching sample rate within the settings in Conductor app. 
You can adjust the time, perhaps a long(eR) delay time will do the trick for you? I had to set mine to 3-4 seconds to avoid a similar issue and it works perfectly now. You can delay even longer than that too. 

9 hours ago, agladstone said:

Try and adjust the delay for switching sample rate within the settings in Conductor app. 
You can adjust the time, perhaps a long(eR) delay time will do the trick for you? I had to set mine to 3-4 seconds to avoid a similar issue and it works perfectly now. You can delay even longer than that too. 

Thanks agladstone, but I am sorry to say that it does not solves it.

@mussikofil

Aren’t the data sampling rates fixed by Tidal? I don’t recall any option to change them.

So you can’t do anything other than upsample the data stream , if your DAC supports it?

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

5 minutes ago, Mazza said:

@mussikofil

Aren’t the data sampling rates fixed by Tidal? I don’t recall any option to change them.

So you can’t do anything other than upsample the data stream , if your DAC supports it?

Some albums are 48Hz on Tidal. When I listen to albums that are the usual 44.1Hz and then, without knowing it, switch to an 48Hz album it works, but when I switch back to a new 44.1Hz album the streamer cannot lock onto the DAC anymore. Very annoying.

2 minutes ago, Bloodwound said:

I know of only 1: Art Legato

Thanks! I will check it out.

I have N100C, because of its spdif output, so I then have to use the usb output from the Aurender to the converter...? It seems a bit like one step forward and two backwards, however, it will solve a fixed sample rate. I wish Aurender just could have installed an option of fixed sample rate.

So, is it a DAC issue rather than an Aurender one?

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

12 minutes ago, Musikkofil said:

Thanks! I will check it out.

I have N100C, because of its spdif output, so I then have to use the usb output from the Aurender to the converter...? It seems a bit like one step forward and two backwards, however, it will solve a fixed sample rate. I wish Aurender just could have installed an option of fixed sample rate.

They 100% "can". But I guess they won't atm. Espescially since there are probably less than 10 people in the world that needs this "fix". The ART Legato is good tho. And either way could be a nice companion for the AN DAC down the road even if you upgraded to a more modern DAC to pair with the Aurender down the road. 

Yay!

21 minutes ago, Mazza said:

So, is it a DAC issue rather than an Aurender one?

It depends on the perspective you have on the matter. The Audio Note DAC is an unconventional and boutique kind of thing. It plays digital music like I have never heard it before, so whatever it takes for it to play I will figure it out :-)

12 minutes ago, Bloodwound said:

They 100% "can". But I guess they won't atm. Espescially since there are probably less than 10 people in the world that needs this "fix". The ART Legato is good tho. And either way could be a nice companion for the AN DAC down the road even if you upgraded to a more modern DAC to pair with the Aurender down the road. 

It is frustrating that Aurender will not help me with it. I am sure that Aurender - being one of the really best streamers - would have a market among Audio Note owners if this would be an option. I hope we are more then 10 :-) It is also frustrating cause I love my Aurender, the quality, functionality on other matters and sound. 

6 hours ago, Musikkofil said:

Some albums are 48Hz on Tidal. When I listen to albums that are the usual 44.1Hz and then, without knowing it, switch to an 48Hz album it works, but when I switch back to a new 44.1Hz album the streamer cannot lock onto the DAC anymore. Very annoying.

Anything above 44 on Aurender must be MQA / “Tidal Masters”, so only play non MQA / Tidal Masters and you’re all set. 
Another easy work around, downgrade your Tidal membership so no Tidal Masters/ MQA, the lower tier subscription only plays 16/44 

1 minute ago, agladstone said:

Anything above 44 on Aurender must be MQA / “Tidal Masters”, so only play non MQA / Tidal Masters and you’re all set. 
Another easy work around, downgrade your Tidal membership so no Tidal Masters/ MQA, the lower tier subscription only plays 16/44 

But many of those 16/44 are sourced from MQA even if you aren’t on the MQA tier. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

But many of those 16/44 are sourced from MQA even if you aren’t on the MQA tier. 

Interesting, I always thought they were two different masters? 
I recently made the switch from Tidal to Qobuz with true Hires streaming, and I’m never going back:) 

Perhaps switching to the lower tier of Qobuz may be the solution? 
I also recall that Spotify and Apple Music are either now or very soon going to be offering a new tier which will be 16/44 only? 

4 minutes ago, agladstone said:

Interesting, I always thought they were two different masters? 
I recently made the switch from Tidal to Qobuz with true Hires streaming, and I’m never going back:) 

Perhaps switching to the lower tier of Qobuz may be the solution? 
I also recall that Spotify and Apple Music are either now or very soon going to be offering a new tier which will be 16/44 only? 

Qobuz has pure PCM, except for the 2L label that went all-in on MQA. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png