Jump to content
IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, P951C said:

You also can use the A10 with the Bartók. I use my A10 with a Moon 750D is a beautiful combination.

That is interesting! Can you please describe the differences between the internal DAC of the A10 and the 750D as axternal converter? On what parameters does the 750D exceed the A10 dac?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The sound from the A10 in combination with the 750D is deeper, wider and has more timbre. The sound from the A10 is a bit brighter. I have music perfect for the A10. Overall it is more relaxed to listen to the 750D. It is also nice that I can listen DSD and MQA on the A10 that’s not possible with the 750D.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, P951C said:

The sound from the A10 in combination with the 750D is deeper, wider and has more timbre. The sound from the A10 is a bit brighter. I have music perfect for the A10. Overall it is more relaxed to listen to the 750D. It is also nice that I can listen DSD and MQA on the A10 that’s not possible with the 750D.

That is exactly the difference between my turntable compared to the A10.  Although the A10 sounds very good to my ears, there is definitely room for improvement. I think I try first to add a good dac to the setup and decide from there. Thanks for your contribution.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The A10 is a great piece, but those looking to upgrade to something like a dCS Rossini or Moon 750D will definitely take their systems to the next level. If I was talking to a friend about this type of upgrade, I'd tell him to keep the A10 as the digital source feeding a new DAC. This is step one. If it sounds perfect with the A10 and new DAC, then stop there. If he wants to take it to another level again, then look at upgrading the Aurender. Take this one step at a time. The performance can be maximized this way, versus trying to upgrade both pieces at the same time. Heck, one someone has a dCS unit they can consider a W20 / W20SE with clock input being fed by a dCS DAC. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, edje said:

That is indeed the way it goes in "audio world". If the Bartok will give me a tremendous upgrade in sound quality I think I suddenly have extra budget to buy a N20 😄

 

But given the fact that the A10 acts like the N200 will give me the opportunity to try it with the Bartok.

 

Make sure you audition it before you buy. It is a good DAC, but everyones idea of how something sounds as well as YOUR room and associated equipment is different than someone else's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AriMargolis said:

Actually, ACS10 is a very nice step in-between N100 and N10. The ACS10 USB output is considerably cleaner than that from N100. Certainly the power supply is wayyyyy more advanced. Also it has a newer, more efficient CPU board, and newer USB chipset for the dedicated USB audio output. 

...that was my first thought for an in-between model. The ACS10 sounds fantastic. I have had it in my system for about a year, into MScaler and Dave on DC4. Excellent sound.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AriMargolis said:

Actually, ACS10 is a very nice step in-between N100 and N10. The ACS10 USB output is considerably cleaner than that from N100. Certainly the power supply is wayyyyy more advanced. Also it has a newer, more efficient CPU board, and newer USB chipset for the dedicated USB audio output. You can hear the difference. Not to mention you get CD ripping, library management software (ACS Manager App), and 2x8TB of storage! ACS10 is a super high Performance:Price ratio piece of gear. 

 

But, to answer @edje question about the performance value of a DAC vs. Source (a very good question) - think of a flight analogy where the DAC is the plane and the source is your seat on that plane. Except it's not a one-time seat...you get the same seat every time you fly, for life, even if you change planes (DACs)! With the N100 series, you're already sitting in business class on a trans-continental flight (there is no "coach" in the Aurender product line). First class is nicer, duh. But, if you've ever been lucky enough to sit in business class, do you spend the flight wishing you were in first class? Or do you enjoy the ride? The fact that you can get to such a high level of performance/luxury for the price of an N100 (less than a business class ticket, probably) is pretty damn cool! Where this flight analogy ends is that it is much more difficult to engineer a BETTER audio experience than what N100 provides than it is to provide a more luxurious seat and service on an airplane. So, that's why there's such a huge difference in price between N100 and W20SE.

 

Upgrading your source WILL make the DAC sound like a better version of itself, whether it is a $2000 DAC or a $20,000 DAC.

 

It is up to you whether to invest in your forever "seat" (source) first, or do you buy a bad ass plane and figure out where you're going to sit later, knowing that plane is going to take you where you want to go regardless. There's not really a wrong answer there.

 

Ari:

thanks for this and after I wrote that post, I did think to myself “I suppose the in-between is the ACS10” :) 

Further, you are once again proving my comments from the other day,,, Someone needs to hire you as a reviewer at once! 
You have a way with words and making analogies and comparisons make perfect sense to the layman! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to determine the age of an Aurender from the information on the back of the unit?? I haven’t had any luck finding this out and I’m hopeful someone here knows the answer. 
 

thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clyde2 said:

Is it possible to determine the age of an Aurender from the information on the back of the unit?? I haven’t had any luck finding this out and I’m hopeful someone here knows the answer. 
 

thank you

 

Use the following webpage and insert the Aurender's serial number to find out the date of manufacture.

 

http://beta.aurender.com:35003/products/showProducts.php

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I’ll put in my request for a feature that most people don’t need, but I’d love it. Heck, if we don’t as, we won’t receive. 
 

I’d love a large overlay of the volume level when adjusting the my constellation preamp through conductor. If you look at this screenshot, and consider where your thumb is when turning the volume up in the lower left corner, you notice that you can’t see the current level. My left thumb completely covers the number. A pop up overlay with large numbers or something else would be great.  
 

ok, back to the regularly scheduled program. 
 

8109F2FD-7BA2-48BC-91C4-81A8E37B9CDD.png

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, agladstone said:

Is the volume control a new feature or a feature only available on certain models? 
I wasn’t aware that Conductor had this capability? 

When an Aurender is connected to a Constellation Audio preamp, Conductor can control its analog volume and input select. It’s slick!

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is an amazing feature! I wonder if they will incorporate that feature for additional brands in the future. It would be so convenient (as you’re already experiencing) because that would mean I could control my entire listening experience from the palm of my hand. 
Since the introduction of the iphone Conductor app I can count one one hand how many times I’ve used my iPad for Conductor. 
it’s a better and bigger interface, but it lacks the convenience of my iPhone which basically never leaves my side:)
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, agladstone said:

That is an amazing feature! I wonder if they will incorporate that feature for additional brands in the future. It would be so convenient (as you’re already experiencing) because that would mean I could control my entire listening experience from the palm of my hand. 
Since the introduction of the iphone Conductor app I can count one one hand how many times I’ve used my iPad for Conductor. 
it’s a better and bigger interface, but it lacks the convenience of my iPhone which basically never leaves my side:)
 

It really is great. 
 

If components have RS232 ports or accept this communication over USB, then it’s possible if Aurender enables it. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, agladstone said:

That is an amazing feature! I wonder if they will incorporate that feature for additional brands in the future. It would be so convenient (as you’re already experiencing) because that would mean I could control my entire listening experience from the palm of my hand. 
Since the introduction of the iphone Conductor app I can count one one hand how many times I’ve used my iPad for Conductor. 
it’s a better and bigger interface, but it lacks the convenience of my iPhone which basically never leaves my side:)
 

Here’s a look at it on iPhone. 
 

E3118921-CCB9-442A-A792-A3B92DA9D5C7.jpeg

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon. 

 

I suspect this question has been asked before but I thought I would ask it again. I am looking to pick up an Aurender N100H and my only concern is potential mechanical noise from the HDD. 

 

I used to have an Innuos Zen Mini and my biggest frustration - and the reason I ended up selling it - was the noise from the unit as it seems to need to access the HDD constantly. 

 

I know that Aurender units use an SSD to cache music ready to play but whilst it is going through this process is it particularly noisy? 

 

Thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, robmoores1 said:

Good afternoon. 

 

I suspect this question has been asked before but I thought I would ask it again. I am looking to pick up an Aurender N100H and my only concern is potential mechanical noise from the HDD. 

 

I used to have an Innuos Zen Mini and my biggest frustration - and the reason I ended up selling it - was the noise from the unit as it seems to need to access the HDD constantly. 

 

I know that Aurender units use an SSD to cache music ready to play but whilst it is going through this process is it particularly noisy? 

 

Thanks. 

A solid state drive produces no sound whatsoever and barely any heat. It also is MUCH faster than a regular hard disk. 

Unfortunately they are also quite a bit more expensive.

An annoying noise annoys an oyster

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robmoores1 said:

Good afternoon. 

 

I suspect this question has been asked before but I thought I would ask it again. I am looking to pick up an Aurender N100H and my only concern is potential mechanical noise from the HDD. 

 

I used to have an Innuos Zen Mini and my biggest frustration - and the reason I ended up selling it - was the noise from the unit as it seems to need to access the HDD constantly. 

 

I know that Aurender units use an SSD to cache music ready to play but whilst it is going through this process is it particularly noisy? 

 

Thanks. 

I guess your question involves possible noise while the harddisk is spinning to transfer data to the SSD. I have owned several Aurenders (X100L, N10, W20) and have never been able to audibly detect the harddisk spinning. The harddisk is very well damped inside the device. I haven't used the N100H myself, so maybe owners of that model can chime in. I would expect a similar outcome.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...