IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

16 minutes ago, ken6217 said:

Wow, the N20 sounds so good. Just with 12 hours on it, it sounds much better than my previous Innous Zenith Mk3 with the Phoenix reclocker, Antipodes DX3 Mk3, and my old N10. 

It's always great when you don't demo a component, take a chance, and it exceeds your expectations.

I agree about the N20’s performance. It’s great. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 2/13/2021 at 4:13 AM, ken6217 said:

Just received my N20 and ACS100. I'll hook it up tomorrow. For ripping CD's is there any benefit or negative of WAV versus FLAC in terms of audio quality or album art? I do know that WAV files do take up more space.

I don't agree with some of the others here. I do feel there's a slight difference in SQ between FLAC and WAV, with the latter sounding slightly more transparent. Considering the low cost of data storage these days I would suggest to let your own ears decide. If you hear a difference I would rip in WAV. If you don't, it is a non-issue for you. 😉

I'm a little confused regarding to turning off, standby, and power off completely. Can someone explain on how to do this with both the conductor app, as well as the power button on the front panel?  Also in the app where it says turn off, does it actually mean to put it in standby? 

I dont want to experiment and them screw up the hard drive. Thanks.

Thanks. I've seen that in the manual as well. What I was trying to understand is "turn off" the same as what would be called Stand By? I know it says there is no stand by per se with this unit.

Btw, when I click turn off in the app, the light around the button on the front panel is red.

14 hours ago, ken6217 said:

What I was trying to understand is "turn off" the same as what would be called Stand By? I know it says there is no stand by per se with this unit.

This is actually quite a common point of confusion. Yes, the manual is correct - there is no "stand by" mode...it's just on or shut down/turned off. If you turn it off, it is off, and inaccessible via the app (therefore "Stand By" does not really accurately describe that state). However, it gets confusing because the unit can be "OFF" but as long as you leave the AC switch on the back in the "on" state, it is still receiving AC power and it is normal for the LED light to be illuminated in red or blue depending on the model (however, that red light in the OFF state is going to be changed soon as Aurender has gotten many complaints that the red light is unsightly).

In that OFF state, it is safe to flip the power switch in the back to the "off" position. No damage can occur to the unit if there is a power outage when it is in the "off" state with the power switch still on.

However, I really recommend simply leaving it on all the time. That way it will always be accessible to you via the app without you having to manually walk up to the unit and press the power button to turn it on (the horror of having to manually press a hard button!). Aurender machines are no more or less susceptible to damage from a power outage than any desktop computer, despite the scary message in the manual.

I hope this helps to clarify!

I noticed, however, that the shut down instructions that came with my W20SE not only differ from the instructions that came with earlier models, but also say that following the earlier instructions could do damage to the unit or the data stored on it.  It sort of leaves one not really knowing what to do.  

3 minutes ago, Ponzi said:

following the earlier instructions could do damage to the unit or the data stored on it.

@Ponzi yes the documentation has been re-written over the years to avoid confusion/translation issues. I'm not sure what you are referring to in the quoted selection above. The key is, just think of the Aurender as any desktop computer. Toggling the power switch on the back is equivalent to pulling the plug. You wouldn't pull the plug on a standard desktop computer without first shutting it down, right? Same thing with the Aurender. Although, in either case (with a desktop computer or Aurender), there is realistically very little risk of damage due to an abrupt loss of power. But, of course, it is better to err on the side of caution.

By the way it is normal for the Aurender to boot up into a "recovering HDD" sequence after an abrupt loss of power is detected. Do not be alarmed by this...it is just taking a quick inventory of the internal HDD or SSD and checking for any possible corruption.

18 minutes ago, Ponzi said:

I noticed, however, that the shut down instructions that came with my W20SE not only differ from the instructions that came with earlier models, but also say that following the earlier instructions could do damage to the unit or the data stored on it.  It sort of leaves one not really knowing what to do.  

That's what scared me.

Use Standby

Setting this to ON will enable the Aurender to be turned on and off using the iPad. However, when this setting is enabled, pressing once on the front panel Power button will only put the Aurender into Standby Mode. To turn the Aurender completely off, the Power button needs to be depressed until the Power button light starts to flash. Release and wait for the Aurender to power down and shut off completely. Improperly shutting down or abruptly disconnecting power to the Aurender may cause permanent damage to system

Thanks for the note Ari.  You must understand that I am a knucklehead when it comes to anything technical.  The shut down instructions that came with my N10 said to depress and hold down the button on the front of the unit, until it started to blink and then release.  And then, when it stopped blinking, to go ahead turn the switch on the back of the unit to the "off" position.  The instructions with the W20SE say not to do that, but instead to press the button on the front of the unit once quickly, and then wait for the blinking to stop etc.  It also says that holding the button down can cause some sort of damage.  I always read the instructions carefully when shutting the unit down for fear I would make a mess of things.  I assume, then, that there is something about a W2OSE that calls for a different shut down protocol.  I trust I am making a mountain out of a mole hill and if you say so I will not at all be offended.  Again, I am always on thin ice about these technical things.   

Ari:

For those of us with Aurender models without built in battery for power loss shutdown, do you recommend using a traditional UPS ? 
I’ve always assumed that if I were to use a UPS with my Aurender that it would negatively affect the sound quality, am I wrong? 
This winter has been really bad so far and we have had a few power outages so far and I suspect more on the way. 
I always experience a bit of anxiety when there’s a power outage and my Aurender is not shut down via the back of unit switch. 
Typically I’m able to get it recovered and back up and running, but sometimes it takes several attempts. 
What’s the best solution? 

21 minutes ago, Ponzi said:

N10 said to depress and hold down the button on the front of the unit

@PonziNo no no! Press and RELEASE! In normal circumstances there is never any cause to press and HOLD the front power button on any model. That much is the same on any model Aurender. If your N10 came with older documentation that said otherwise, on behalf of Aurender, I really apologize for the confusion. That "press and hold" direction categorically wrong. 

21 minutes ago, Ponzi said:

I trust I am making a mountain out of a mole hill and if you say so I will not at all be offended.  Again, I am always on thin ice about these technical things.   

It is natural and prudent to be cautious with expensive and delicate components. Also I see now that the "Standby" documentation that you guys were referring to at https://aurender.com/app-setserver/ is for a forthcoming software update which has not yet been released at this point:

(from App 1.5.09 /System Software 2.0.41 and above)

Looks like we kind of put the cart in front of the horse there! Spoiler alert...sorry about that. Your confusion is hereby validated! I will be reviewing all the published documentation at Aurender.com shortly to make sure everything is up-to-date and correct.

38 minutes ago, agladstone said:

do you recommend using a traditional UPS ? 

@agladstone No, I personally do not. I should clarify that I'm speaking as myself and not as an Aurender rep here.

UPS's are, in my experience noisy (like, acoustically...they have fans and make a racket) and they can also introduce electical noise or even "choke" out your system by reducing the amount of current it receives. On top of that, they just aren't that effective in the case of momentary dips or brownouts. 

I agree with Paul on this: https://www.psaudio.com/askpaul/choosing-a-ups-for-the-system/

If you wish to use a UPS though, there is a solution to avoid its negatives by using a Torus PB2 powerblock after the UPS. This way Torus provides clean AC unaffected by the UPS.

so, the route is : UPS —> Torus PB2 —> AURENDER.

In any case using a Torus powerblock powering an Aurender unit and other front end units as well, it makes the sound better. More substantial, with bigger soundstage and depth and more natural sounding.

Highly recommended.