IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, Noushy said:

Yeah I love my N20 as I do my N10.  I wish I had more time to enjoy it.  Easy setup and the display is so much nicer and informative.  Installed 7.68T enterprise SSDs.

Noushy

Noushy, could you please tell us how big the difference in performance is between N10 & N20?

If you have a high end dac with a word clock and honestly a fairly high resolution system the. No contest the N20 is better.  The display and the ability to sync with your dac are what you are paying for plus improved power supply.  But the N10 especially at a good discount is fantastic probably 80% of a W20SE and the N20 more like 90%.  I wanted the word clock function and I have a $40k MSB Dac to go with it.  I had been on the fence with a W20SE and then when the N20 came with an upgraded display it was an easy decision.  Feel free to contact me.

Noushy

On 1/29/2021 at 10:38 AM, AriMargolis said:

@Quadiffusor HKThank you very much for your thoughtful technical questions. I’m discussing your questions with engineering to make sure I can answer them completely. I can tell you now that a 10Mhz Master Clock is compatible and the 50 ohm mismatch shouldn’t be a problem for a sine wave clock signal (but I need to get some more info about this particular part of your question).

Due to the nature of asynchronous USB, the clock input on Aurenders with clock inputs has no impact whatsoever on what the unit is doing when output USB. It only applies to SPDIF/AES-EBU outputs. 

And, yes, the the clock sync signal will be displayed on screen when an external master clock or word clock is in use.

Hello @AriMargolis

Thank you for your response above - they're helpful !

However, I still don't understand why a "perfect" external Master Clock would benefit the Aurender W20's performance ONLY when the output is a synchronous protocol (S/PDIF or AES/EBU).  My assumption (it may not be correct) is that ALL digital processing functions benefit from lower jitter, lower spurious noise, and better digital cadence, largely because of improved edge detection of the binary gradient between digital 1s and 0s.  This basic function is called "flip flop" (see article below).

No matter whether the output is asynchronous USB, doesn't the W20 benefit from an uber-precise, uber-low phase noise external Master Clock, regardless?

" The basic engineering definition of reclocking is running a digital signal through a flip-flop. This will constrain the edges of the input signal to only change at the active edge (negative or positive) of the clock fed to the flip-flop. There a couple reasons to do this, one is to reduce jitter in the input signal (as long as the FF clock has lower jitter than the input signal), another is to synchronize the timing on the input signal to a different "domain".

Reclocking can be either synchronous or asynchronous. In synchronous reclocking the clock fed to the FF is exactly the same frequency as the clock used to generate the input stream (or an integer multiple). This can be because the to clocks were derived some the same clock, OR one of the clocks used a PLL to synchronize it to the other. "

Hi @AriMargolis I found a strange issue on the N20 that I can duplicate 100% of the time. 

Using the Stone Temple Pilots album Core from Qobuz, if I click replace queue, the N20 doesn't play the very start of the track. Part of the first second is missed. If I click the first track in the queue, it plays just fine. Switching back and forth between the Replace Queue button and just clicking the first track in the queue, reproduces the behavior 100% of the time. 

IMG_0313.PNG

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'm new to this forum. I was interested in the W20SE, but was curious if anyone has compared this to the Innous Statement in terms of musicality. I'm not referring to which one necessarily had a wider soundstage or more detail. 

I had demoed in my system and the Innous Zenith Mk3 with the Phoenix Reclocker and found the sound rather thin and not very musical. 

Thanks!

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi @AriMargolis I found a strange issue on the N20 that I can duplicate 100% of the time. 

Using the Stone Temple Pilots album Core from Qobuz, if I click replace queue, the N20 doesn't play the very start of the track. Part of the first second is missed. If I click the first track in the queue, it plays just fine. Switching back and forth between the Replace Queue button and just clicking the first track in the queue, reproduces the behavior 100% of the time. 

IMG_0313.PNG

@The Computer Audiophile strange, I have not been able to reproduce this. What DAC are you using, and what digital connection are you using? Can you please send a remote support ticket so we can check for clues? 

Anyway this album still rocks, almost 30 years later. I don't think I have heard this hires remaster but it is heavy AF!

17 minutes ago, AriMargolis said:

@The Computer Audiophile strange, I have not been able to reproduce this. What DAC are you using, and what digital connection are you using? Can you please send a remote support ticket so we can check for clues? 

Anyway this album still rocks, almost 30 years later. I don't think I have heard this hires remaster but it is heavy AF!

Yes, STP Core is a fantastic album!

I'm outputting via USB to an Auralic Sirius Upsampler, then out from that via USB to a Denafrips Terminator. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, AriMargolis said:

@The Computer Audiophile Try adding a second or 2 in the "Playback delay to allow DAC to adjust to new sample rate" setting under Settings>Advanced. 

Does the problem go away if you turn the "use fade in/out" option on or off? 

Please send remote support ticket so we can continue to troubleshoot and grab logs.

The delay doesn't take effect because I'm not switching sample rates. 

Fade is off. 

Support coming momentarily.