IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

15 hours ago, Vincent1234 said:

Usually it disappears by itself but not always. Turning DAC on and off often helps indeed. 

Q. to you: with me the problem is always in the left channel only. Strange.. Same with you? Thanks!

I have not checked if it is booth chanels or not. next time I will look.

1 hour ago, bmichels said:

Yes it occured again, and indeed only one chanel is afected.... the right one.

Thanks! Interesting... We both use USB and different DAC's. In both cases only one channel is affected; in your case the right channel and in mine the left. Does seem related to the Aurender update indeed. Thanks again, might be very useful information! 👍

• 2 weeks later...

QUESTION : Is it possible to attach an external USB CD Reader to the W20 to RIP CDs ?   

If NOT, what RIPPING solution do you use best to feed your Aurender ?  Is a dedicated Hardware better than just a good PC/MAC Ripping software ? (today I use dBpowerAmp on My MacBook Pro.  Can I improve the quality of my RIPs ? )

thanks in advance for your advices.

51 minutes ago, bmichels said:

QUESTION : Is it possible to attach an external USB CD Reader to the W20 to RIP CDs ?   

If NOT, what RIPPING solution do you use best to feed your Aurender ?  Is a dedicated Hardware better than just a good PC/MAC Ripping software ? (today I use dBpowerAmp on My MacBook Pro.  Can I improve the quality of my RIPs ? )

thanks in advance for your advices.

I use dBpowerAmp on my computer and it seems fine. I make sure the CD is clean and I degauss before ripping. I also rip to uncompressed FLAC. I have done a few thousand CDs this way and the results are very good. I really don’t know if deguassing does much good but it is now part of the ritual and doesn’t appear to do any harm. 🖖🏽 YMMV.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

2 hours ago, rwwjr44 said:

I use dBpowerAmp on my computer and it seems fine. I make sure the CD is clean and I degauss before ripping. I also rip to uncompressed FLAC. I have done a few thousand CDs this way and the results are very good. I really don’t know if deguassing does much good but it is now part of the ritual and doesn’t appear to do any harm. 🖖🏽 YMMV.

Could you explain your "degaussing" technique to us please?

I am interested. Thanks.

Music Sever - Taiko Extreme

DAC's - MSB Select II + Femto 33 Clock + Dual power supplies + Pro USB Module

Amp's - Raal HSA-1bMSB Reference HP Amp, MSB Select Estat Headphone Amp Woo 234 Mono's Elite, Takatsuki 300B, 274B

Headphones - Raal Requisite sr1a, MySphere 3.2, Kennerton Thror's, Stax SR-009 & 009S, Sony MRD-Z1, Abyss Phi TC, Audeze LCD-4, 24 & 4Z, Focal Utopia, HiFiMan Susvara

Cables - DHC OPUS HP, Stage III Gorgon XLR's + Xphynx USB

Power - Shunyata Triton V3 & Typhon QR + Sigma PC's Isolation - HRS SXR Ref Stand + MX3R Isolation Bases

6 hours ago, bmichels said:

No, not possible. There might be some convoluted way to set up a usb daisy-chain back to a PC/Mac which would do the ripping, but I don’t see the point. 

I use dBpoweramp on a Mac. It rips flac lossless direct to my Mac and then copy to the W20 and my NAS over the network. Ripping to the W20 as a shared drive occasionally falls over. Dbpoweramp doesn’t seem to like it. 

My NAS auto-syncs the W20 and itself every night (I upload hires purchases direct to the W20) and backs up to the cloud every night (along with all my other NAS stored stuff such as photos)

it works for me

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

6 hours ago, bmichels said:

Extreme Play Mode : I have a W20. Can someone explain me what is this mode available with the W20SE and NOT with the W20 ?  Does it improve the sound quality ? How ?

@bmichels "Extreme Mode" was available as a hidden menu item in some old software versions. The only way to access it was with a super secret code. This functionality cut off all non-playback essential background computing tasks, and it was in the software for internal testing only. It turns out it caused some problems and was not worth bringing to universal release. Somebody somewhere found out about it and put up a youtube video, but it was never intended for actual use "in the field."

A similar software restriction called "Critical Listening Mode" has now been implemented as a regular menu item in ACS10, W20SE, and A30 models. It shuts off background computing tasks, front panel buttons, and screen illumination. So far, customer and dealer response has been very positive as far as Critical Listening Mode affects audio performance. Aurender may implement Critical Listening Mode for other models as well, but running that light exposes these machines to a lot of other possible compatibility and reliability issues...the hardware (CPU) in the newer ACS10, W20SE and A30 models is better suited for running this way than other models that have been in production longer. I hope this helps to understand.

Well, on X100L, A10 and N100H with FW version 5.10.16 (it might be working with newer FW but never tried, 5.10.16 is the only version that works with my DAC), attaching a drive via USB and inserting an audio CD would result in automatically ripping the disc on the Aurender's internal drive in the 

\\[your aurender name or IP]\music1\Etc\yyyy-mm-dd-HH-MM\[Artist Name]\ 

folder (where yyyy=year, mm=month, dd=day, HH=hour, MM=minutes). I never tried ripping common CD's in order to check whether it also correctly identifies artist name, album and track name as I only used this function for discs that are "unobtainium", therefore, all I am getting is  "Unknown Artist" instead of [Artist Name].

The ripping function of Aurender used to be described in the online user manual, now there is no mention of that.

I don't see any reason ripping would not work with W20 as it does with A10, X100L and N100 (probably with N10 to but never tested personally). 

Forgot to mention that the process is completely silent and there is no progress indicator or visual confirmation, the only way to know whether the process is complete is to check if the disc is still spinning in the drive.

8 hours ago, isquirrel said:

Could you explain your "degaussing" technique to us please?

I am interested. Thanks.

A bit off topic but: http://www.hifi-tuning.com/index_de.html these folks make a demagnetizer that I bought back in my "search for the best tweak" days. 

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

On 8/1/2019 at 10:04 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm currently using a W20 connected to a dCS Rossini (that's sending external word clock back to the W20 and running dual AES) as my reference. 

Hi Chris,  is there a W20SE review in the works?

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, it's certainly in the works but I have no timeline for it. Sorry :~)

ok :~) - you know that a product is either very new or extremely niche when a Google search for reviews or observations yields essentially nothing.

New ACS100 ? 
just saw this new unit listed on Music Direct, looks like a “100” version of the ACS10. 
anyone know anything about it? 
Does anyone know if an external 19V LPSU can be used with it? (Looks like there may be a 19V DC in jack in back and it doesn’t list a Linear PSU under its features. 
The description also states that for best sound quality to use it with an N100H as the front end player, however the specs for the ACS100 look much better than the N100H so I wonder how it would be better  vs. ASC100 direct to DAC via USB? 
(it has quad core processor, 240GB SSD Cache, CD drive for ripping, two pull out trays for two user installed 2.5” HD or SSD, etc). 

🤠 HAPPY HOLIDAYS and may your Aurenders’ cheer your spirits and please your ears. Auditory delight during  long listening periods. ✌️