IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

On 8/1/2019 at 10:04 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I agree. There is a larger market for this than most people think. In addition,  many people talk about Roon versus Aurender, but they are completely different animals in so many ways. I use both, as well as just about every other platform available.

I'm currently using a W20 connected to a dCS Rossini (that's sending external word clock back to the W20 and running dual AES) as my reference. 

I just purchased a used W20 and a Debussy DAC.  Does the dual wire AES/EBU make an audible difference vs. a single AES/EBU or USB?  I understand I can run dual AES/EBUs from the W20 to the Debussy and still listen to my DSD 2X files and the single AES/EBU can process DSD 2X also.  Why run two cables? Also, there is no clock output option on the Debussy but the W20 clock is pretty good.   

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

On 9/3/2019 at 10:21 AM, hellrider77 said:

I am glad that Aurender finally released a somewhat functional app for Android, I bought an iPad  only to be used with my Aurender but I can't wait to get rid of it.

Unfortunately the Android version is still lacking functionalities found in the iOS version:

1. In album view, it always defaults to album name sorting, normally it should be able to remember the user setting, in my case I prefer sort by artist and then by album year...I just cannot seem to find any use to sort a large library by album name alone

2. No option to save an favorite online radio station or add a custom radio station that is not included in the Shoutcast directory (it works on iOS)

3. Unable to delete playlists (I couldn't do it on iOS either). Playlist management is a PITA

There are still unsolved problems that are not related to Conductor app:

1. Inconsistency in compatibility across FW's.  I have an Yamaha CD-S3000. With the latest firmware (5.17.15) Aurender plays up to 192/24 but no DSD. The worst thing is that Aurender hangs when CD-S3000 powers down or goes into stand-by The only way to make it work again is to hard power off and restart of the Aurender. I ran some more tests and downgraded Aurender to factory firmware (5.9.27). In this case CD-S3000 is able to play up to DS64 and Aurender does not hang anymore when I power off or put the Yamaha in Stand-By. This means that somewhere along the firmware development of Aurender something went wrong in supporting odd DAC's, this also means that Aurender software development is not consistent which makes me really skeptic about  the future.

2. Few years back, I believe it was 5.5.76,  when I would play an online stream (online radio) I would get  the artist and track names displayed on the Aurender's display and in the Conductor app, it was really useful as it was a nice way to discover new artists or albums I didn't know of.  After one upgrade (i believe it was 5.10.16 but as well may be somewhere in between 5.5.76 and 5.10.16) only SHOUTCAST or ONLINE RADIO is displayed. Of course I checked and my favorite station is still sending artist name and track info (together with album cover but I do not expect Aurender to display that, even in the Conductor app). I sent this issue to Aurender support since November 2017, it is almost two years now and still no resolution. I mean how hard can it be to check what was lost from one SW version to the next and solve the darn thing?

Great machines flawed by software.

Good news for Android users, issues related to the Android app version have been solved in the yesterday update, number 3 might be user error (I still don't know how to delete playlist) .

Oh, and another good news is that they are working to bring back radio streams metadata display functionality. 

Unfortunately, for me, there is a bigger issue still unsolved - compatibility with Yamaha CD-S3000. The support guys remotely updated my machine to latest fw, sometimes it hangs when I put Yamaha in standby, sometimes it doesn't. I could somehow live with it as I rarely power off my dac, BUT , there is a bigger issue that I overlooked initially.

Drops, clicks, pops and strange overtones when playing. It gets worse as the resolution increases (lower intensity and less frequent drops and pops when playing back  44.1 material, higher intensity and quite often drops pops and overtones when playing back  24/192 material). If, with 5.10.16 FW (the version came factory installed) I could play DSD64 material (of course still flawed by the drops and clicks issues) with the latest FW, DSD64 no longer works. (DSD128 will never work via DoP  with my DAC as it only accepts native DSD - Aurender dropped native DSD support some time ago.  DoP will always be limited to max DAC sync rate , in my case, 192Khz, therefore no DSD128 for me, but I don't care as I do not have this kind of material in my library) 

On a funny note, even though I told support from the start that I tested several USB cables and the issue is the same, in the latest message they told me that they believe it is the USB cable and I should test with others,.... what can I say, I love Kafka.

As a long time Aurender user, I still have some previous fw release notes saved, this one gives me hope that my issue might still be solved somehow:

Current update Firmware 5.4.58 debut 2nd of May 2016

New features
1. Support for Qobuz
2. Smart Copy feature
Copying files and folders can now be done within the app.
You can copy music files from NAS or external USB drive without using PC/Mac.
Models with two internal HDDs - when target HDD is full, Aurender will copy to the second HDD automatically.
There is only a copy feature. Not delete or change name. They are in our future to-do list.
3. W20 supports on-the-fly DSD to PCM conversion up to DSD64.
N10 has had DSD to PCM conversion since the introduction. N10 supports up to DSD128.
Improvements
1. Improved DAC compatibility.
2. New DAC : Yamaha DACs which work with Yamaha Steinberg driver.
Yamaha DACs that require installing Yamaha Steinberg driver on PC will work with Aurender. You do not need to install drivers to Aurender.
3. AMM(Aurender Media Manager) Ver. 3.2 is easier to use.
Requirement to mount NAS drive before using the AMM has been eliminated.
You can mount drive within AMM.
For Mac: http://files.aurender.com/AurenderMe...er.app.320.zip
For Windows: http://files.aurender.com/AurenderMe...-Setup.320.exe
Bug Fix
1. Add-to-Next using TIDAL - now a song added goes not to the end of the queue
2. W20 stuck after trying to play DSD128 without a USB DAC.
3. Other bugs fixed and overall stability and usability improved.
If you have any problem with the new software, please send remote support using iPad Aurender Conductor App.(It’s under the Settings->Help)
if your iPad is not configured for email, please send email to [email protected] 

BTW,  @AriMargolis is really helpful in trying to get our complaints and messages across Aurender SW and  engineer teams, he is fighting the good battle for us.

On 9/21/2019 at 10:31 AM, Fitz Music said:

Odd.

This morning, when I started Conductor on my iPad, I was prompted to enter a passcode that appeared on the N10 screen. This has never happened before. Any significance?

@Fitz Music you have to register the iPad to the unit the first time you connect to it. If you recently did a factory reset on either the Aurender or the iPad, you'd have to re-register. 

15 hours ago, SuperPang said:

Anyone here using an N100H with an iPad Mini 2 by any chance? 

I'm tempted to update the firmware/app/ios to check out the new Conductor features but I'm reluctant to as everything has worked flawlessly on whatever older version I'm using.

I am using newest Conductor app on iPad mini 2, everything works fine.

Synergistic Research Powercell 12UEF > Innuos PhoenixNET > Aurender N100H > Innuos PhoenixUSB > Ferrum audio Wandla + Hypsos DAC > Simaudio Moon 600i / Gato Audio DIA400S > Dynaudio C1 speakers > Siltech, Shunyata & Stealth cabling

• 2 weeks later...
I recently got a very strange message visible on the on the left display of my Aurender W20 (NOT in the iPAD, on the Aurender’s display itself).   A « computer like » message right in the display of my Aurender ! looks strange !

See attached shoot of the display.

- Can you tell what this mean ?  what should I do ? 

- Sometime, I need to reboot the Aurender to have it find by my iPad’s Conductor App !  Sometime I have noise in the sound, and I need to turn OF/ON the DAC, which is connected via USB to the Aurender, to get rid of this noise.  Can this has something to do with the error message mentioned ? 

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
Bertrand MICHELS

Aurender W20 error message.jpg

53 minutes ago, bmichels said:
I recently got a very strange message visible on the on the left display of my Aurender W20 (NOT in the iPAD, on the Aurender’s display itself).   A « computer like » message right in the display of my Aurender ! looks strange !

See attached shoot of the display.

- Can you tell what this mean ?  what should I do ? 

- Sometime, I need to reboot the Aurender to have it find by my iPad’s Conductor App !  Sometime I have noise in the sound, and I need to turn OF/ON the DAC, which is connected via USB to the Aurender, to get rid of this noise.  Can this has something to do with the error message mentioned ? 

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
Bertrand MICHELS

Aurender W20 error message.jpg

Wow, never seen nor heard of this. 

@AriMargolis?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Somehow the Linux installation of your Aurender is a little messed up. You should contact the company. These machines should not give such errors. Not that they are uncommon. But we get them in our computers because we have 100% access and we can do something stupid. But in your case you have no access on the machine. So it never should have happened.

But I'm impressed from the message. It shows that it has an actual GNOME desktop. I always thought that it should have something very light.

The actual error is that some programs can't communicate. Maybe it's relevant that you loose the connection. That particular file stores cookies so that the communication between programs is safe. If it's not right you have various crashes.

Conductor version 3.3 was pushed yesterday:

V 3.3 - Rebased on October 11, 2019

• New & Improved Qobuz support

• View liner notes for Qobuz content in Conductor (when available - not every album on Qobuz has liner notes) (Requires iOS 11 or later.)
    • App now displays "E" icon indicating explicit content
    • Improved stability
  • Added support for TIDAL track & artist radio

• Long press on any track, artist or album to start track or artist radio.
  • Other improvements

• VoiceOver prompts are now streamlined and less verbose
    • Improved A100 volume control panel for direct output
    • Added detailed error message in case of a failed connection
    • Added Dutch and Turkish translations
    • Improved French and Polish translation
    • Improved other minor UI issues
    • Added an option to prompt confirmation when clearing queue
    • Long press to see extended Queue clearing options.
    • Supports iPad iOS 13.x dark mode
  • Bug Fixes

• Fixed Shoutcast genre browsing
    • Fixed crash upon "Restore default settings" command with and without deleting content
    • Fixed keyword is not maintained when change content source or view type in specific condition
    • Fixed many other small bugs
  • Ver.3.3.x will be the last major version to support iOS 9.3.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wow, never seen nor heard of this. 

@AriMargolis?

@bmichels Very strange. I’ve never seen or heard of that either. Are you able to get it into remote support mode? If you can connect with the iPad, you can send a remote support request email from Conductor settings>help. If you cannot connect with iPad, please press and hold the play/pause button on the W20 front panel for about 10 seconds and the remote support info should appear on screen. Please take a picture of that and send it to me at [email protected]

2 hours ago, coot said:

Covers do not display correctly

(Sorry for double images - edit did not work)

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 9.00.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 9.00.04 AM.png

@coot I'm afraid your iPad is running a very old version of iOS (version 9.x.x came out in 2015). This is not an issue with newer iOS.

As noted in the release notes, some features including liner note view in Qobuz are only available on iOS 11 or later. This is the last version of Conductor to support iOS 9.3.5 at all. 

My local Aurender dealer brought a N-10 to my home so I could audition it in my system and listening room. With AES/EBU and coaxial input to my T+A PDP 3000 HV the sound was excellent. However when connecting through USB there was no sound at all. The display on the T+A showed "USB Input 32 bit". We tried two different USB cables with the same result. The N-10 was streaming from Tidal when we tried the USB input, but then trying files on the local hard disc was tried and that also produced no sound.

Various reviews have indicated the Aurender N-10 works well with the T+A PDP 3000 HV using the USB input.

I'm open to any and all suggestions for troubleshooting this problem.

Thank you.

On 8/1/2019 at 10:04 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I agree. There is a larger market for this than most people think. In addition,  many people talk about Roon versus Aurender, but they are completely different animals in so many ways. I use both, as well as just about every other platform available.

I'm currently using a W20 connected to a dCS Rossini (that's sending external word clock back to the W20 and running dual AES) as my reference. 

I have a W20 connected to a Debussy DAC and can’t get both AES lights to go on when playing DSD 64/128 files.  I have the Debussy DDP hardware version and firmware 2.30.  Tried two different sets of AES/EBU cables.  The W20 has two-wire mode enabled, but no double lights.  DCS said it should work.  I have a support request into Aurender. 

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

1 hour ago, sfseay said:

I have a W20 connected to a Debussy DAC and can’t get both AES lights to go on when playing DSD 64/128 files.  I have the Debussy DDP hardware version and firmware 2.30.  Tried two different sets of AES/EBU cables.  The W20 has two-wire mode enabled, but no double lights.  DCS said it should work.  I have a support request into Aurender. 

While playing 192 or 176.4 content?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

51 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

While playing 192 or 176.4 content?

3 hours ago, sfseay said:

has it ever worked before?

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100