IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Hello All, newbie here and this is my first post. 

I currently use use an Aurender ACS tethered to a W20. I’m truly enjoying the combination and as an Individual who still purchases quite a lot of CD’s, the pair has made my life that much easier. I also think the ACS improves the W20’s SQ quite a bit.

My question concerns a Nimbie, specifically the Blu-Ray model. Has anyone used it with the ACS? Do the rips sound as good as the units CD drive? Does it work seamlessly with the ACS?

My thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. 

3 hours ago, Vincent1234 said:

Maybe this could help. Using Aurender W20 and dCS Rossini Player + clock. When listening to my EAC-ripped CD's played through the W20 to the Rossini DAC/Player (through an ultra high-end USB cable) they sound really excellent, but always SLIGHTLY less transparent and dynamic than played directly from disc in the dCS Rossini Player. As always YMMV.

Thanks for this information and you are right, this information was helpful.

Hi Vincent, i mean that I prefer the sound of the W20 “served” by the ACS over playback from its internal drives.

I find that the ACS provides an increase in resolution and soundstage vis-a-vis the W20 (solo). I haven’t compared its rips to alternative solutions (eg dbpoweramp) but I’d be surprised if these were inferior. Thanks!

44 minutes ago, Mgperdices said:

Hi Vincent, i mean that I prefer the sound of the W20 “served” by the ACS over playback from its internal drives.

I find that the ACS provides an increase in resolution and soundstage vis-a-vis the W20 (solo). I haven’t compared its rips to alternative solutions (eg dbpoweramp) but I’d be surprised if these were inferior. Thanks!

Hi @Mgperdices - thanks for sharing your experience. Of course, this is the desired effect! By using the ACS10 as the workhorse/utility player, W20 has less computing responsibility. With fewer demands on the system, it should perform that much better. Also, the 2X isolated LAN port effectively isolates the downstream W20 from the noisy-ass network! Ethernet picks up a lot of noise which can be introduced into the system without proper isolation. I think we're going to start seeing a lot more LAN isolation gadgets hitting the hi-end market.

Regarding Nimbie rips vs. ACS10 rips...I can't say we have made any aural comparisons. Of course, on paper, the results are exactly the same and in both cases (nimbie transport or ACS built-in TEAC transport), the ripped files are checked and re-checked for accuracy. But, we all know that other factors can make a difference. Performance-wise - it is literally "plug-and-play." Connect the Nimbie to ACS via USB (use the USB port on the front panel), and the ACS automatically recognizes the Nimbie. Put a stack of discs on the Nimbie and get ripped, so to speak.

2 hours ago, AriMargolis said:

By using the ACS10 as the workhorse/utility player, W20 has less computing responsibility. With fewer demands on the system, it should perform that much better. Also, the 2X isolated LAN port effectively isolates the downstream W20 from the noisy-ass network! Ethernet picks up a lot of noise which can be introduced into the system without proper isolation.

ok, please explain how this is working? I presume the router is connected to the ACS10 via the network and the W20 to the ACS10 by a usb cable .... ie:

router ---->[ethernet cable] --->ACS10--->[USB cable]--->W20---->[USB or Spdif or XLR] ----> DAC

If so, isn't the ACS20 doing the rendering? It's the one receiving the router commands? 

If not, and the W20 is somehow doing the rendering as the post suggests, then isn't the W20 treating the ACS10 effectively as an external USB drive? If so, I struggle to understand why the benefit of galvanic isolation of the W20 from the network is going to compensate for:

• network induced noise into the ACS10
  • introduced noise from the ACS10 circuitry itself
  • the potential injection of RFI & EMF noise from another USB cable
  • the likelihood that transferring data from an 'external' drive [the ACS10] gives scope for introducing jitter because there is no clock info between ACS10 and W20
  • On top of that, the 'computing demands' on the W20, are hardly going to be reduced....all you are eliminating is the very small computing demands of watching the network for a command to load/render/play the next chunk of data from the HDD to the SDD buffers.

what am I missing?

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

@Mazza actually ACS10 connects to another Aurender via ethernet, not USB. The other Aurender's connection to the network is via the ACS 2X isolated port.

So, ACS does all the "server" activities including storage, scanning, library management etc. And the other Aurender is still the renderer (or "player").  Think of the ACS as an Aurender "super-NAS"  or "mothership" for use with another Aurender satellite player. The other player streams content from the ACS. 

I also have a W20, so the usage of an ACS  in conjonction to a W20 is quite interesting... if the sonic improvement is really not marginal !  Indeed the added cost of the ACS to the W20 which is already quite expensive must be justified.

--> Has someone else experimented the sonic benefit of the ACS in conjonction to another Aurender ? 

A10 + STREAMING

This may be a very simple question/answer but throwing it out to the masses for consideration.  I've been a "hardwire" guy for a long time, so my question related to incorporating streaming abilities into my current system is not part of my current wheelhouse.

I have the A10 and love the simplicity of its design, combined with active studio monitors...simple but so good.  I am moving soon and will be able to move the system out of the living room and into a dedicated office/listening room.  I'm planning to have the main setup in my home office but would like to have the ability to stream to other rooms, primarily for background...not critical listening.  

I'm looking for a (relatively) simple solution to take a feed from the A10 and stream to a wireless speaker/system, like Sonos.  Thoughts?  THANKS!

3 minutes ago, paris94 said:

A10 + STREAMING

This may be a very simple question/answer but throwing it out to the masses for consideration.  I've been a "hardwire" guy for a long time, so my question related to incorporating streaming abilities into my current system is not part of my current wheelhouse.

I have the A10 and love the simplicity of its design, combined with active studio monitors...simple but so good.  I am moving soon and will be able to move the system out of the living room and into a dedicated office/listening room.  I'm planning to have the main setup in my home office but would like to have the ability to stream to other rooms, primarily for background...not critical listening.  

I'm looking for a (relatively) simple solution to take a feed from the A10 and stream to a wireless speaker/system, like Sonos.  Thoughts?  THANKS!

Hmmmm. I like your thinking on this, it's very practical but also seeking the best quality.

You could get a Sonos that scans the drive of the A10 (like a NAS).

It would be cool if the A10 had an audio output you could use to send music to some speakers. The only way I can think of now is the Aurender SW5 with its dongle connected to the A10. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 3/13/2019 at 2:18 AM, Emm said:

Fortunately the unit seems that managed to recover the data and seems to be operational again

You’re lucky!! Mine is still completely “bricked”, @AriMargolis has been helping me

with this and I’m going to be sending my Aurender away for repair once I receive the RMA. 

After a week with my Aurender out of commission, I can’t believe how much I miss it!! 

16 hours ago, paris94 said:

A10 + STREAMING

I too have an A10 and would like to stream (wirelessly) to a second "zone". I have not done much research but the only options would be to connect some sort of transmitter to the unused analog output or to the output of a cheap USB DAC. But I don't know what that would be. For me, I would like the same music playing in both zones.

New update 4.17.14. Don’t know what it does.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

On 3/24/2019 at 7:20 AM, fwj said:

Your screen shot shows v.1.05.2 for ACS Manager app. My copy shows v.1.04.4. It does not have the Delete function. There does not seem to be an update available in the Apple iPad App Store. How do I get the update to your version?

@fwj my apologies for the teaser! Look out for an ACS System Software update coming in the next few days.

27 minutes ago, rwwjr44 said:

New update 4.17.14. Don’t know what it does.

@rwwjr44

What's New?

Search Keyword

Search terms/keywords will now remain when switching category (Song, Artist, Albums.. ) (Note: when searching from streaming services, keywords will still be deleted when changing category. It will be fixed in our next release of software)

Bug Fixes & Improvements

Clone

Contents added by "Add to my library" will also be cloned Playlists will be cloned with better stability

Recently played 2000

The last track of the queue was not added to "Recently played 2000" if repeat mode was off.

Support for large file size embedded album art

Added support for album art with very large file size for Conductor App.

Streaming Service Cache Bug

Fixed a problem where songs from streaming services were not playing in certain conditions.

Changes

Clone ACS10

Cloning to or from ACS10 is discontinued with this version due to complications of RAID configuration and other system setup.

We will provide a better method of migrating to/from ACS10 in our next release.

Also, heads up for Conductor v. 2.9.18 - coming in the next 24-48 hours. 😉

2 hours ago, Vincent1234 said:

Can't wait....! 😊

Same here...😁

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Wireworld Silver Electra PCs..IsoAcoustics Gaia I and II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

15 hours ago, AriMargolis said:

my apologies for the teaser! Look out for an ACS System Software update coming in the next few days.

When the time comes, my iPad ACSManager app should be updateable through the App Store, but how does the ACS System Software get updated? I do not find an option in the ACSManager app options. Composer does have a System Software Update selection in Settings.

Frank