IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Hi @edje - please send me an email at [email protected] and I will help answer your question. :) I just need a little more info to make sure I understand what you're asking. 

To clarify, there's not really a "sleep" mode, per se. It's either on or off. It can be on and idle, with the screen dark, and it will respond to commands from the app in that state. If it is off/shut down, you need to turn it back on before you can communicate with it via the app.

On 1/14/2019 at 5:47 PM, AriMargolis said:

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome. @Foxman50 - the existing user interface will be the same in terms of functionality. But there will be some different color schemes IN ADDITION to the beloved 😉 brown.

@rwwjr44 Bob, yes, we will be transparent as always and I will try to remember to keep you all in the loop any time we have news to share!

@biosailor yes, you are correct below. It is theoretically possible. However, due to the other reasons I stated, I don't think this will happen.

@Blakcloud Awesome! Glad you are enjoying them. 

Thanks again!

But I do hope there will be more substantial development of the Conductor than just changing skins from brown to blue 😀! I do like the sound of my N100H, it is substantially better than my Roon Nucleus. But Roon's software on the other hand is miles ahead of the Conductor app. I so much wished the Conductor app would become more modern. I do not say the Conductor app has to be Roon-like, but it definitely needs improvement and modernisation!

Doing Beta w/Qobuz and comparing MQA Masters on the Aurender A10. The native Hi-Rez files on Qobuz  and the Masters on my system seem very close. I just got Qobuz yesterday so still comparing. There are a fair amount of files in Hi-Rez on Qobuz that are just Redbook on Tidal. 

Definetly no need for both. The very early returns is that it will be worth the extra cost of a beer to go with Qobuz

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

1 hour ago, jfddoc said:

Thanks russellbobby.  Since you have the A10, you are comparing the fully unfolded MQA masters to the Qobuz Hi Rez files.  Does the display on the A10 show "24/96" or "24/192" on the Qobuz files?   Thanks.

What ever the file resolution is what is displayed on the Aurender. Qobuz could be 24/44, 24/96,/24/192.  Same as the MQA  masters .

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

On 1/19/2019 at 12:51 AM, AriMargolis said:

Hi @edje - please send me an email at [email protected] and I will help answer your question. :) I just need a little more info to make sure I understand what you're asking. 

To clarify, there's not really a "sleep" mode, per se. It's either on or off. It can be on and idle, with the screen dark, and it will respond to commands from the app in that state. If it is off/shut down, you need to turn it back on before you can communicate with it via the app.

I guess edje refers to a mode where the disks will be totally inactive (zero rpm) and  the Aurender will be in standing by mode

My experience with different connections between W20 an Pacific DAC is that very good unpowered usb cable is on par with spdif as far as sonics are concerned but has better functionality ie makes possible  native dsd playback which is important to me.

Both spdif and AES/ EBU do not transmit DSD signals.

Since a few month I see the option  of using RJ 45 and Ravenna protocol with Nadac gaer.

I wonder if this is the best connection ? Anyone tried this?

Aurender W20 -> AudioAero La Fontaine, Lampizator  Pacific SE->Ayon Crossfire III or  Circle Labs A100 >Avantgarde Acoustic Trio LE 26 with 4x REL Carbon Special

10 minutes ago, Ponzi said:

Marslo:

Will you please explain why it is that an AES cable will not transmit native DSD.  I had no idea.  Based on earlier comments here, I have ordered a Kubiak’s AES cable to try between my N10 and Directstream.

Have no idea, Pacific does not play  dsd trough AES/EBU, Lukasz Fikus confirmed that, this is not a matter of specific cable.

Aurender W20 -> AudioAero La Fontaine, Lampizator  Pacific SE->Ayon Crossfire III or  Circle Labs A100 >Avantgarde Acoustic Trio LE 26 with 4x REL Carbon Special

5 hours ago, Ponzi said:

Kubala 

In  17 years of borderline obsessive high-end tail-chasing, Kubala (Emotion) wound up being the very best of myriad cables I’ve pushed through my system. Haven’t used the AeS out on my N10  to Ayre DAC tho. Trying that next week. 

For the N10 ->

• SPDIF : Up to 24-bit, 192kHz (PCM); 1-bit, 2.8MHz (DSD64)
  • USB :  32bit /384kHz,  1-bit, 2.8MHz (DSD64); 1-bit, 5.6MHz (DSD128)

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Sorry, it means that the N10s SPIDF output does support the DSD format but only the lowest tier. The USB output will will support the DSD format at the next highest tier. This may be important to DSD listeners because there is a good number of music mastered at that and higher levels Also note that the USB output supports PCM (FLAC, WAV) higher resolutions but this may not be as important since 192 is highest resolution most often available. 

For a a deeper dive see Wikipedia. If no one chimes in by tomorrow, I’ll add a better description. Back to NFL FOOTBALL!

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

@marslo @Ponzi it is true that some (many or even most) DACs will only do DSD over USB. However, this is not a general limitation of SPDIF or AES/EBU protocol. In fact, the cables themselves and the general technology is capable of transmitting DSD64 and beyond. It just depends on whether the DAC implements this functionality or not.

Aurender servers can output DSD64 (DoP) out of all outputs. 

Don't take my word for it, you can read the open standard if you're extremely bored (actually it's pretty interesting in a really geeky way): https://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard#.XEaF41xKiUk

Hi,

I'm having a problem with an Aurender ACS10 and Accuphase DAC cards. The output on the DAC-50 is extremely low volume and the sound is muffled. Same output from the Aurender to an older DAC-40 works fine, just as other inputs to the DAC-50 work fine.

The display on the aurender reads Sync USB when connected to the older dac-40 and Async to the newer DAC-50. 

Has anyone had any experience with USB incompatibility between the aurender and certain dacs? No idea how to deal with this, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

On 1/19/2019 at 1:40 PM, russellbobby said:

Doing Beta w/Qobuz and comparing MQA Masters on the Aurender A10. The native Hi-Rez files on Qobuz  and the Masters on my system seem very close. I just got Qobuz yesterday so still comparing. There are a fair amount of files in Hi-Rez on Qobuz that are just Redbook on Tidal. 

Definetly no need for both. The very early returns is that it will be worth the extra cost of a beer to go with Qobuz

It’s funny, I’ve been doing the exact same “A/B” testing between Tidal MQA and Qobuz Hi-Res, and I’ve actually come to the firm conclusion that the Tidal MQA version of the same Qobuz Hi-Res album sounds significantly better almost every album I’ve tested between the two!! 

I also have concluded that where I have the same hi-res version of an album stored locally in my Aurender HDD vs Tidal MQA and Qobuz Hi-Res, that my own copy local within my Aurender always sounded the best, with Tidal MQA second, Qobuz dead last. 

10 hours ago, agladstone said:

It’s funny, I’ve been doing the exact same “A/B” testing between Tidal MQA and Qobuz Hi-Res, and I’ve actually come to the firm conclusion that the Tidal MQA version of the same Qobuz Hi-Res album sounds significantly better almost every album I’ve tested between the two!! 

I also have concluded that where I have the same hi-res version of an album stored locally in my Aurender HDD vs Tidal MQA and Qobuz Hi-Res, that my own copy local within my Aurender always sounded the best, with Tidal MQA second, Qobuz dead last. 

Could you give me specific titles that you are mentioning?. I feel my system is resolving enough for subtle changes.

Thanks,

Russ

Funny. I thought the MQA sounded worse every time. On every test between Tidal and beta Qubuz, and also the downloads and MQA cds I have ripped to the N10. MQA to me sounds like a slight extra layer of something false, digital, something that sounds good at first but after a few minutes rings false. Every time, like an unnecessary sonic stamp. The same files I have downloaded and on the N10 sound best, better than any streaming into my system. I'm already passing on MQA, and will pass on streaming too. 

On 1/23/2019 at 12:21 PM, Stiv said:

Funny. I thought the MQA sounded worse every time. On every test between Tidal and beta Qubuz, and also the downloads and MQA cds I have ripped to the N10. MQA to me sounds like a slight extra layer of something false, digital, something that sounds good at first but after a few minutes rings false. Every time, like an unnecessary sonic stamp. The same files I have downloaded and on the N10 sound best, better than any streaming into my system. I'm already passing on MQA, and will pass on streaming too. 

I too had a similar listening experience comparing MQA to files ripped to my local Aurender. I was quite excited to experience an improvement with MQA but my local files sounded thoroughly better in every way.  MQA files from Tidal were loud, harsh, and had a loss in resolution as well as harmonics. Tidal with MQA is great for casual listening but buying the actual CD is significantly better in my experience. YMMV.  I haven't been able to get on the qobuz usa beta yet to check that out but based on your experience looks like CDs will remain my go to choice.

On 1/24/2019 at 2:21 AM, Stiv said:

+1, with respect to Tidal. Qobuz is not available in my region.

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None