IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

I finally decided to get an Aurender X100L (6TB)! It should be here next week :~)

One question before I receive it. The following is the file structure of my music. Is this ok for the X100L, or should restructure it?

[Artist folder] ---> [Album folder] ---> individual tracks.

I finally decided to get an Aurender X100L (6TB)! It should be here next week :~)

One question before I receive it. The following is the file structure of my music. Is this ok for the X100L, or should restructure it?

[Artist folder] ---> [Album folder] ---> individual tracks.

Perfect, additionally I created a genre folder on the Aurender and put in the respective folder artist/album/tracks sub folders. But this is not mandatory if your albums are properly tagged, just an organisational thing. Nice side effect is that your genre folder structure will be displayed in the Aurender app.

Have fun, you won't be disappointed.

My X100 is working as advertised and the sound is excellent. How about you?

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Anyone heard the aurender N100 yet?

thequietman

Yes, and people who attended AXPONA here in Chicago heard it in our room. I've sold a bunch.

Aurender recently announced the N100H, which has a 2TB hard drive inside, for $2699, and it's available. Some things were done to enable it to have sufficient power to handle a hard drive.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

Just got my W20 hooked up to a Berkeley RS via AES, the sound is spectacular. Previously I was using a Mac Pro with Audender and an Alpha USB. The Aurender is surely better, with a much more transparent and natural sound. The software is a bit buggy, especially with Tidal, but mostly OK. I have not tried yet the Alpha USB with th Aurender. I'm told this is an even better set up as I like the simplicity of using less boxes ...

Audio Alchemy DMP-1 / Roon / Berkeley Alpha RS 2 / Constellation Monos / TAD R1s

Just got my W20 hooked up to a Berkeley RS via AES, the sound is spectacular. Previously I was using a Mac Pro with Audender and an Alpha USB. The Aurender is surely better, with a much more transparent and natural sound. The software is a bit buggy, especially with Tidal, but mostly OK. I have not tried yet the Alpha USB with th Aurender. I'm told this is an even better set up as I like the simplicity of using less boxes ...

Congratulations! The W20 is, well, just amazing.

Problems with Tidal on the W20 and other models here virtually disappeared quite a while ago. I was using very early beta versions of the system software and Conductor app, which worked but were buggy, and then stability improved a lot with subsequent versions. Then for some reason I couldn't get it to work at all after some upgrades, which were coming on the order of once a week. I showed the issues to Aurender president Harry Lee on the N100 which I took along to California, and he worked closely with tech support (Eric Shim, mainly) and had everything working great the next day. I was the only dealer in the US with the problem -- one in the UK had something similar -- and the new versions did the trick. I can honestly say as a user that such support is extraordinary. I run out of superlatives for Harry Lee and Eric Shim's efforts and couldn't be happier, and not just because I'm a dealer.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Just got my Aurender N100 a couple of days ago. N100--> Alpha USB--> dCs Purcell --> dCs Elgar+.

Running her in currently. Initial impression are pretty good, very musical, dead quiet for a device base player, just a little bit of edginess and digital glare - that i suspect is due to my system components and NOT the N100. The highs seems pretty natural, timbre is a bit on d warm side, the lows unfortunately lacks the KICK - hopefully I can address this by changing the usb/power cables to the N100. Layering and micro details are decent.

Will keep updating this thread as I go along with the N100.

My have my gripes about AMM but it is not a show stopper - Eric is currently addressing it.

I'm wondering if Aurender has any plans for working with Roon Labs? I am interested in the new Roon software but my present understanding is that Roon and Aurender would need to work together to ensure that the Roon software could work on Aurender's platform. I've sent an email to Aurender but thought I would try here as well. According to the front page article on this website today, Roon is actively working with a number of Aurender's competitors, including Auralic, Linn, PS Audio, etc.

Well, I'll reply to my own question. I just received an email from John-Paul Lizars at Aurender (kudos to Aurender for responding so quickly). Here is what he said:

"Thanks for your interest in Aurender music servers.

Roon Labs recently released a software package for music management and we will closely watch it’s development. I cannot comment in detail at this time on Aurender’s involvement with Roon other than the fact that we are in discussions with them."

Sounds like they may be in active negotiations with Roon.

Critertoo the lows of any Auremder are category kickass and the best there are comparing any computer source or streamer out there.

So I suspect you need a proper burn in or check your other equipment- cables etc.

Just got my Aurender N100 a couple of days ago. N100--> Alpha USB--> dCs Purcell --> dCs Elgar+.

Running her in currently. Initial impression are pretty good, very musical, dead quiet for a device base player, just a little bit of edginess and digital glare - that i suspect is due to my system components and NOT the N100. The highs seems pretty natural, timbre is a bit on d warm side, the lows unfortunately lacks the KICK - hopefully I can address this by changing the usb/power cables to the N100. Layering and micro details are decent.

My have my gripes about AMM but it is not a show stopper - Eric is currently addressing it.

Could you please describe the benefits of Roon + Aurender ?

I'm wondering if Aurender has any plans for working with Roon Labs? I am interested in the new Roon software but my present understanding is that Roon and Aurender would need to work together to ensure that the Roon software could work on Aurender's platform. I've sent an email to Aurender but thought I would try here as well. According to the front page article on this website today, Roon is actively working with a number of Aurender's competitors, including Auralic, Linn, PS Audio, etc.

HDgeorge:

The benefits of Roon + Aurender remain to be seen since Roon has not even released their software to the world (later this week I guess). There will be a 14-day free trial so we can all determine any benefits for ourselves.

The reason I'm excited about Roon is because it promises, in theory, to bring you closer to the music you already have in your library (and favorites in Tidal if you subscribe to Tidal) by linking to a ton of interesting information on that music. Personally, I think this would enhance and enrich my appreciation for the music.

The problem is that Roon must be run on a standard Mac or PC operating system, so unless Roon and Aurender work out some sort of deal whereby Roon is integrated into the Aurender Conductor app, then an Aurender owner who wants to use Roon would still need a computer.

I can actually envision a scenario where I install Roon on my MacBook Pro, hook up my 2.5 TB music collection via USB, and get Roon to index my library. I could then browse through my library using Roon and access all the presumably cool links and information in the Roon database, while still using the Conductor app to actually listen to the music. In other words, the listening experience would be through Aurender and the browsing experience would be through my laptop.

This may in fact become the preferred choice for people who want to stick with the software player of their choice (Aurender's Conductor, Auralic's Lightning, Audirvana, HQPlayer, etc.). It does complicate life, though.

I actually don't own an Aurender yet but it seems that's the direction I'm headed in. I'm going to try out Roon with my present Mac Mini/Audirvana system and see how that works over the next month.

Seems there were updates yesterday

• Lastest Version : System Software Version 4(5).3.107 - Released on May 12 2015
  • Aurender App Version 2.1.8 - Released on May 12 2015

Everything installed seamlessly. Since I am not a Tidal user, I have not comments. I have yet to see if there are any execution problems with the other updates and "bug fixes".

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

HDgeorge:

The benefits of Roon + Aurender remain to be seen since Roon has not even released their software to the world (later this week I guess). There will be a 14-day free trial so we can all determine any benefits for ourselves.

The reason I'm excited about Roon is because it promises, in theory, to bring you closer to the music you already have in your library (and favorites in Tidal if you subscribe to Tidal) by linking to a ton of interesting information on that music. Personally, I think this would enhance and enrich my appreciation for the music.

The problem is that Roon must be run on a standard Mac or PC operating system, so unless Roon and Aurender work out some sort of deal whereby Roon is integrated into the Aurender Conductor app, then an Aurender owner who wants to use Roon would still need a computer.

I can actually envision a scenario where I install Roon on my MacBook Pro, hook up my 2.5 TB music collection via USB, and get Roon to index my library. I could then browse through my library using Roon and access all the presumably cool links and information in the Roon database, while still using the Conductor app to actually listen to the music. In other words, the listening experience would be through Aurender and the browsing experience would be through my laptop.

This may in fact become the preferred choice for people who want to stick with the software player of their choice (Aurender's Conductor, Auralic's Lightning, Audirvana, HQPlayer, etc.). It does complicate life, though.

I actually don't own an Aurender yet but it seems that's the direction I'm headed in. I'm going to try out Roon with my present Mac Mini/Audirvana system and see how that works over the next month.

Something similar to Gracenotes (which is not directly available to end users)? Having your computer running is a definite minus for me, otherwise I am all for it.

Seems there were updates yesterday

• Lastest Version : System Software Version 4(5).3.107 - Released on May 12 2015
  • Aurender App Version 2.1.8 - Released on May 12 2015

Everything installed seamlessly. Since I am not a Tidal user, I have not comments. I have yet to see if there are any execution problems with the other updates and "bug fixes".

Interesting new feature, app shows streaming quality for the playing track. In Aurender app right next to the album art will be displayed TIDAL or TIDAL LOSSLESS to indicate streaming quality.

Thumbs up for the outstanding customer service and responsiveness of their support, it was only 3 weeks ago that I suggested to Eric a visual streaming quailty indication comparable to the WIMP/Tidal iPhone App would be a great feature for future feature releases. Reason for asking was I noticed that more often as expected HIFI indication for Lossless when using iPhone app was not highlighted especially with new releases, took several restarts of the album until HIFI was highlighted.

Tested the new feature now on my Aurender with a few albums of TIDAL (never listened before and favourite albums of heavy rotation) and realised that the LOSSLESS indication in the Aurender app seems to change from track to track.

Bug or feature ? Anyone with same observations ?

Do you use an external clock with the Aurender in this setup?

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Do you use an external clock with the Aurender in this setup?

I am pretty sure the Aurender N100 does not have a clock in function. The Aurender W20 would have a clock in function. I do not run clocks between the purcell and elgar+. If i had the Aurender w20, i would probably run a antelope clock - wishful thinking :)

I have just upgraded to a Aurender N100s from an Aries. Big jump up in SQ. The Aurender mates real well with Modwright Oppo 105. I want to listen to vocals all day. Male and female they are so right. Perfect texture. Delicate high end with deep soundstage. Quality piece. I been thru the Mac Mini, Bryston BDP-1 and the Aries. This should keep me satisfied.

The reviews of the x100 are applicable to the N series but I think with the upgraded power supply the N series may have a small advantage. I have played it off of a portable 1 tb passport and it sounded excellent. I have an Amber Regen on order. If this can kick another notch that would really be a bonus.

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

Russellbobby and Crittertoo--

Please keep us apprised of your continuing observations regarding the N100. I have not seen many reviews by people who have owned both an Aries and an Aurender, so that is particularly useful information. In addition to SQ issues, I'm also interested in your experiences with the Conductor app.

I'm interested in both the X100 and N100 but I'm thinking that, on the surface at least, it appears the N100 may be more bang for the buck. The N100 features the full linear power supply, so in theory that may give it some advantage over the X100. The X100 offers larger internal storage options, but I'm not sure that is really a significant advantage in light of the fact that 1) you can apparently buy an N100 with either 2TB of conventional hard drive storage ($200 more) or 1TB of SSD storage (not sure how much more); 2) you can add storage by simply attaching a USB drive; and 3) the sonic quality of that additional storage is theoretically a non-issue since all of the music is playing from the internal 120GB SSD cache. So I'm not sure why I would pay $3500 or more for an X100 when I could get an N100 for about $1000 less and just add storage.

BPW -- you are a dealer for Aurender -- can you explain why one would choose the X100 over the N100?

Yea I agree with your thinking. I bought mine used at a good discount. The N100h seems to be the logical choice. Playing from cache I do not think you could tell a difference.

The Aurender is in a whole different league than the Aries. USB only but they know how to do it. The reviews from the X models sound like they could be reviews for the N series...same signature. Very relaxed but detailed. The Aries to me got a little hard in the midrange and that was running a tube DAC

I did not compare any other players in the 2500 range but I don't think you can beat it. The Lightning app was good but the Conductor just a little bit better. Tidal sounds much better also

It is so hard to quantify sound quality but if gun to my head I would say a 20% jump in sq would be a conservative number over the Aries

If folks are happy with the Aries they would be ecstatic with the Aurender and not have to worry about sq changing with every firmware upgrade.

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

Russellbobby and Crittertoo--

Please keep us apprised of your continuing observations regarding the N100. I have not seen many reviews by people who have owned both an Aries and an Aurender, so that is particularly useful information. In addition to SQ issues, I'm also interested in your experiences with the Conductor app.

I'm interested in both the X100 and N100 but I'm thinking that, on the surface at least, it appears the N100 may be more bang for the buck. The N100 features the full linear power supply, so in theory that may give it some advantage over the X100. The X100 offers larger internal storage options, but I'm not sure that is really a significant advantage in light of the fact that 1) you can apparently buy an N100 with either 2TB of conventional hard drive storage ($200 more) or 1TB of SSD storage (not sure how much more); 2) you can add storage by simply attaching a USB drive; and 3) the sonic quality of that additional storage is theoretically a non-issue since all of the music is playing from the internal 120GB SSD cache. So I'm not sure why I would pay $3500 or more for an X100 when I could get an N100 for about $1000 less and just add storage.

BPW -- you are a dealer for Aurender -- can you explain why one would choose the X100 over the N100?

Sure. The X100L comes with either 6TB or 12TB internal storage and can display cover art, etc. without having to scan external storage (NAS or USB) using Aurender Media Manager (AMM) to do so.

A 1TB SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) is $400 from Amazon. A customer who recently came by to pick up the N100 he ordered brought the SSD along which I was happy to install and format for him.

DZetye: Aurender currently streams Tidal only. It sounds amazing and is a joy to use. Roon is in the works.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct