IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

I wonder if this has something to do with the cache SSD.  Is it full? Not properly clearing out?  This should be something that Ari could chime in on.  I have not had this happen with mine.  All of my units have the latest software/firmware.  Then again I also let mine play for hours on end and once I have setup a playlist I don't change things.  Wonder if this has to do with constantly adding and removing songs from the playlist queue?

Noushy

On 2/9/2019 at 9:57 PM, finbad said:

Same here , A10 1.5 y.o “Wait updating data” more often than necessary. 

For a time (months back) A10 would do this at short interval s , every 10-15

minutes - perhaps the updates fixed this.?...

Do you edit your metadata?

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

1 hour ago, Noushy said:

This should be something that Ari could chime in on. 

Guys, just a friendly reminder that this is NOT a technical support forum! 

Aurender technical support is available via 3 different channels for your convenience:

1. Send a remote support email request directly from the Conductor app (Settings>Help>Send Remote Support Request Email)

2. Email directly to [email protected]

3. Telephone Support +1 (888) 367-0840 (monday-friday 9am - 6pm MST.)

46 minutes ago, AriMargolis said:

Aurender technical support is available via 3 different channels for your convenience:

1. Send a remote support email request directly from the Conductor app (Settings>Help>Send Remote Support Request Email)

I think the intention was to discover if this behavior is normal or actually an issue.  It doesn't seem like it affects performance just that it pops up periodically for some of the owners.  Again I personally have not experienced this but the way I listen to music might be why.  I think that is what I was hoping you would answer for us Ari, if this is normal behavior.

Noushy

47 minutes ago, AriMargolis said:

@AriMargolis Hi Ari, I have sent a remote support email request, and Pablo reverted back asking a couple of questions. However no response since then.

@Noushy the way the db update process works is: 

3 minutes after the last "write" activity on the local HDD is detected, the system re-scans the contents of the HDD and creates a new library db which then gets pushed to the iPad. When you get that "downloading data" message on the iPad, it means the app is downloading a new library database as prompted by the Aurender scanner. 

I hope this helps to understand.

This isn't like many of the forums around the web where Peter Lie - Lumin Firmware Lead replies quickly to any all posts requiring assistance.  I guess the support structure is different from Aurender.  Even Auralic has a community support forum where the owner chimes in with answers to questions almost daily.  Aurender might think about looking at what their competitors are doing in regards to support

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

18 hours ago, finbad said:

Hello RWW ,

No , I haven't edited meta data ...

So , I presuppose this should be done and how , please ?

T.I.A.

Not unless you have to. Aurender has its own mechanism to compile metadata and I think modifies it sometimes. But many people monitor and update their own metadata offline and sync the files with an Aurender. Every time the HDD is changed the Media Library Scanner will scan the drive(s) and update Aurender's DB (see @AriMargolis's description above). 

Here is usual routine:

1. Download a file or covert a CD to my computer
  2. Carefully check the metadata.
  3. Sync it to the Aurender's HDD and my NAS AND back it up to Amazon AWS
  4. Start the scanner for newly added files on the Aurender (you don't have to do this as your Aurender should automatically do it.
  5. Note: if you use a NAS for direct playback you have to scan via AMM (this I have never done)
Bob

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

4 hours ago, rwwjr44 said:

I think modifies it sometimes.

The Aurender platform does not ever modify your files or metadata. The way it displays whatever metadata is tagged to your files may vary slightly from your expectations depending on circumstances, but it doesn't actually touch the files themselves. 

Also, with the exception of ripping CDs on the new-ish ACS10,  the Aurender platform does not retrieve any metadata that is not already tagged to your files. So, whatever's in the file is what you get. 

There are a number of great tools available (JRiver MediaCenter, mp3Tag, dbPoweramp, bliss, etc.) for editing metadata. You can make edits to the files already stored on your Aurender directly and upon re-scanning, the changes will be reflected in your library.

4 hours ago, AriMargolis said:

The Aurender platform does not ever modify your files or metadata. The way it displays whatever metadata is tagged to your files may vary slightly from your expectations depending on circumstances, but it doesn't actually touch the files themselves. 

Also, with the exception of ripping CDs on the new-ish ACS10,  the Aurender platform does not retrieve any metadata that is not already tagged to your files. So, whatever's in the file is what you get. 

There are a number of great tools available (JRiver MediaCenter, mp3Tag, dbPoweramp, bliss, etc.) for editing metadata. You can make edits to the files already stored on your Aurender directly and upon re-scanning, the changes will be reflected in your library.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, rwwjr44 said:

Not unless you have to. Aurender has its own mechanism to compile metadata and I think modifies it sometimes. But many people monitor and update their own metadata offline and sync the files with an Aurender. Every time the HDD is changed the Media Library Scanner will scan the drive(s) and update Aurender's DB (see @AriMargolis's description above). 

Here is usual routine:

1. Download a file or covert a CD to my computer
  2. Carefully check the metadata.
  3. Sync it to the Aurender's HDD and my NAS AND back it up to Amazon AWS
  4. Start the scanner for newly added files on the Aurender (you don't have to do this as your Aurender should automatically do it.
  5. Note: if you use a NAS for direct playback you have to scan via AMM (this I have never done)
Bob

Thank you for your reply & time , Bob !

Yes, very nice review.  Thank you.  I have both the N10 and the ASC-10 and I no longer approach ripping CD's with dread.  The one consequence I did not think through was that my N10 hard drive would get sidelined in the process.  It would be nice in the Conductor App permitted one to instruct the ASC-10 to send the download to another Aurender device. 

8 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

My ACS10 review is up!

Thanks for the great review. With N10 sonic quality, the ACS10 would be a very sensible choice at its price point.

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

I was curious on the ACS10 how you use the "folder" function. For instance it says it has a "Music 1" as the first folder.

If you wanted to use one folder as device ripped cds and a separate once as imported from an HDD and label it "Music 2" is it just in the background how the files or stored? Or when using the App do you have to go between "folders" for your different libraries?

Also still curious how it handles dsf files. On the website it looks like it handles them natively without any issues or conversion...

Samsung 2TB SSD external drive > Oppo 205 USB in > McIntosh C45 > Proceed AMP5 > Mirage HDT Speakers > Velodyne HGS15 Sub // Nordost Blue Heaven Cables, PS Audio Quintet, OWC 2TB Mercury Elite Pro Firewire

Chris:

Great ACS10 review, very detailed and it touched upon most of the areas I was confused about in regards to the ACS10. 

If I am interpreting your review correctly, it seems to me that you’re saying that for myself and other N100H owners, that replacing my N100H with an 16TB ACS10, would net me N10 sound quality, 16TB’s of storage (if I use my Synology NAS as RAID backup and no RAID on ACS10) and the ability to rip CD’s and additional features and do all of the above for $2,000 less than the cost of an N10? 

I do understand, this means USB out only, however that’s all I have available via N100H anyhow and if I can increase my playback quality to N10 levels, this seems like a no-brainer upgrade for me! 

Please try and confirm if I’m interpreting your review correctly to confirm this. 

Thanks again! 

* note - I also asked this same question in comments of your review, sorry for posting twice, but wanted others in this thread to chime in and not sure they would all see my comments in your review.

Doubtful it is N10 quality given both the construction and power supply in both units. My dealer has one and he has had a N10 for some time as well. With a solid DAC like a MSB the N10 is sonically better as it should be. The ACS10 is a great unit but much more like a N100h with larger storage and the ability to rip CDs as well as a backup server function for other Aurender units on the network.

Noushy

29 minutes ago, Noushy said:

Doubtful it is N10 quality given both the construction and power supply in both units. My dealer has one and he has had a N10 for some time as well. With a solid DAC like a MSB the N10 is sonically better as it should be. The ACS10 is a great unit but much more like a N100h with larger storage and the ability to rip CDs as well as a backup server function for other Aurender units on the network.

Noushy

Haven't heard the ACS10, but I'm having the exact same doubts. I would be very surprised if the ACS10 has a similar SQ as an N10. Aurender would be cannibalizing their own products.

When the N10 arrived (replacing the S10) people had high hopes it would come close to the W20, being a few years newer than the flagship model. Having had both I can attest it didn't come close at all. Better SQ simply requires higher costs.

Agreed. What makes the W 20 special is the option to have an external word clock and the battery power. The power supply in the N10 is very goodAnd I run mine off a pier battery sine wave output. It won’t be better than the flag ship but it is awfully good. If you look inside the unit you will see where the money was spent. Again both units are far and above a ACS 10.  And I agree that they would not cannibalize there $9000 product with a $6000 product.

Thanks @Noushy and @Vincent1234 for providing further insight and an additional perspective vs. Chris. 

I am hoping that people who own both and that have done anA/B the same as Chris has can add some additional opinions/ feedback. I agree in theory that it’s not logical the ACS10 would have same sound quality as the N10 while also costing $3,000 less. 

However, Chris did actually A/B testing and neither of you have and are only speculating (and both of you do make logical arguments!)