IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

11 hours ago, AriMargolis said:

Hi Russ,

Thanks! Glad to hear that.

Aurender's software team is always hard at work on updates. While I can't say too much or promise timelines for future software updates, I can say that there is a really exciting aesthetic overhaul (new skins) which will be ready for universal for release very soon. Be on the lookout for more partnerships with other streaming services soon, too! 

At this time Aurender has no immediate plans for Roon integration. There are a few reasons for this:

Roon Core is a beast of a software program (I mean that in a good way). It demands some pretty intense processing horsepower to do everything it does. Aurender servers, on the other hand, are intentionally designed to be lean and minimalistic. They are equipped with a processor that is only powerful enough to meet the requirements of our platform. This is "by design" and a big reason why your Aurender sounds so good! Less powerful processors generally produce less heat and less electromagnetic interference , both of which are enemies of high-end audio components.

Aurender playback software is custom engineered/tailored to go hand-in-hand with Aurender hardware. This is how we manage our characteristic solid state caching and the entire playback engine. That synergistic link between the custom engineered software and hardware would be broken if we enabled Roon playback software. As music lovers, everyone at Aurender appreciates and respects the powerful discovery engine (among other things) that Roon is. But, the company is not willing to forfeit control over the sound and software on our players in favor of a third party user interface.

Since Aurender servers are Airplay enabled, you can "cast" music to your Aurender with Roon but it is not as versatile and doesn't sound as good as Roon's RAAT lossless network transport.

I hope this helps!

Good to hear that Aurender plans a few upgrades for the near future! I do understand that Aurender's software has evolved to cater their own products. But with respect to Roon: wouldn't it be possible to turn the Aurender's into a Roon endpoint? I presume this would use much less CPU resources than a full fledged Roon integration.

12 hours ago, AriMargolis said:

Hi Russ,

Aurender's software team is always hard at work on updates. While I can't say too much or promise timelines for future software updates, I can say that there is a really exciting aesthetic overhaul (new skins) which will be ready for universal for release very soon. Be on the lookout for more partnerships with other streaming services soon, too! 

At this time Aurender has no immediate plans for Roon integration. There are a few reasons for this:

Roon Core is a beast of a software program (I mean that in a good way). It demands some pretty intense processing horsepower to do everything it does. Aurender servers, on the other hand, are intentionally designed to be lean and minimalistic. They are equipped with a processor that is only powerful enough to meet the requirements of our platform. This is "by design" and a big reason why your Aurender sounds so good! Less powerful processors generally produce less heat and less electromagnetic interference , both of which are enemies of high-end audio components.

Aurender playback software is custom engineered/tailored to go hand-in-hand with Aurender hardware. This is how we manage our characteristic solid state caching and the entire playback engine. That synergistic link between the custom engineered software and hardware would be broken if we enabled Roon playback software. As music lovers, everyone at Aurender appreciates and respects the powerful discovery engine (among other things) that Roon is. But, the company is not willing to forfeit control over the sound and software on our players in favor of a third party user interface.

Since Aurender servers are Airplay enabled, you can "cast" music to your Aurender with Roon but it is not as versatile and doesn't sound as good as Roon's RAAT lossless network transport.

I hope this helps!

Great news. Welcome Ari. Still loving my A10.

Anxiously awaiting the new skins. 😋

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Digital..IsoAcoustics Gaia II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

@AriMargolis  It is my pleasure to welcome you to the thread. I am (I am sure) all of it's subscribers are happy to have you here and will treat you with courtesy. We understand that there will be questions that you can't answer and that you have to abide by Aurender policy BUT hopefully its policy is such that we will hear the news here.

Welcome and Thanks,

Bob Willis

OP

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

On 12/26/2018 at 9:04 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

It’s very easy. You just select the unit you want to control in the settings menu. 

Thanks Chris for that information. I did purchase the N100C for a second system and switching is exactly as you described. I used the cloning tool in the software which was pretty handy to get music to the new server and all my playlists etc. Ran Ethernet cables through the walls for both systems so that was a bit of work but beats having to run patch cords along the floor to the different rooms. So I am a proud owner of a N100H and a N100C.

System 1: Aurender N100C Music Server>Denafrips Terminator and Metrum Octave Mk II DAC>Herron Audio Preamplifier>Herron Mono Blocks>Tetra 606 Speakers. Audio Sensibility Statement power cords, interconnects and speaker cable. TEO Game Changers interconnects. Focal Elear headphones, Lehmann Headphone Amplifier.

If Aurender implement new skins, i hope they include the existing as an option. Part of my decision to purchase an Aurender was on the basis of the software displaying my music in the way it does. I actually couldn't care less what colour it is, it works perfectly for selecting music and thats all it needs to do.

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome. @Foxman50 - the existing user interface will be the same in terms of functionality. But there will be some different color schemes IN ADDITION to the beloved 😉 brown.

@rwwjr44 Bob, yes, we will be transparent as always and I will try to remember to keep you all in the loop any time we have news to share!

@biosailor yes, you are correct below. It is theoretically possible. However, due to the other reasons I stated, I don't think this will happen.

On 1/12/2019 at 3:35 AM, biosailor said:

Good to hear that Aurender plans a few upgrades for the near future! I do understand that Aurender's software has evolved to cater their own products. But with respect to Roon: wouldn't it be possible to turn the Aurender's into a Roon endpoint? I presume this would use much less CPU resources than a full fledged Roon integration.

@Blakcloud Awesome! Glad you are enjoying them. 

On 1/12/2019 at 10:00 PM, Blakcloud said:

So I am a proud owner of a N100H and a N100C.

Thanks again!

On 1/11/2019 at 8:40 PM, Stiv said:

Was wondering.  I have an Aurender N10 and and an Ayre Q5 20 Dac.  Anyone have this combo and of so, anyone tried out the digital connections to figure which they prefer? USB, spdif or Aes/ebu? 

@Stiv - a lot of people have this same question. There's not really a clear universal answer because every DAC is different, every system is different, and there are a whole lot of variables involved. Some DACs have major differences in sound/presentation/features/sample rate limitations from input to input. Others are more input agnostic. 

There are some fundamental differences in how USB and SPDIF/AES/EBU transmit signal:

In a USB audio connection, the DAC is the "master" - the DAC pulls information packets from the server at intervals defined by the DAC's word clock. This is known as "asynchronous" USB. 

In SPDIF & AES/EBU connections, it is the opposite: the server/player pushes digital information out to the DAC as defined by the server's clock. Historically, inexpensive A/V sources are not equipped with super precise clocks. So, jitter is introduced. Jitter results in a "phasey" soundstage lacking differentiation of instruments/voices. Timing is extremely important to creating a realistic sonic image, and, obviously, the clock plays an important role. 

This ^ is why Aurender makes such a stink about the OCXO (oven controlled crystal oscillator) clocks on board the N10 and W20...the quality and precision of those clocks is a big part of what makes these players so special. 

So, certainly give it a try with AES/EBU or Coax vs USB, and see what you think! I know with my Chord QuteHD DAC, switching to the N10 coax bnc output was a total game changer.

1 hour ago, AriMargolis said:

@Stiv - a lot of people have this same question. There's not really a clear universal answer because every DAC is different, every system is different, and there are a whole lot of variables involved. Some DACs have major differences in sound/presentation/features/sample rate limitations from input to input. Others are more input agnostic. 

There are some fundamental differences in how USB and SPDIF/AES/EBU transmit signal:

In a USB audio connection, the DAC is the "master" - the DAC pulls information packets from the server at intervals defined by the DAC's word clock. This is known as "asynchronous" USB. 

In SPDIF & AES/EBU connections, it is the opposite: the server/player pushes digital information out to the DAC as defined by the server's clock. Historically, inexpensive A/V sources are not equipped with super precise clocks. So, jitter is introduced. Jitter results in a "phasey" soundstage lacking differentiation of instruments/voices. Timing is extremely important to creating a realistic sonic image, and, obviously, the clock plays an important role. 

This ^ is why Aurender makes such a stink about the OCXO (oven controlled crystal oscillator) clocks on board the N10 and W20...the quality and precision of those clocks is a big part of what makes these players so special. 

So, certainly give it a try with AES/EBU or Coax vs USB, and see what you think! I know with my Chord QuteHD DAC, switching to the N10 coax bnc output was a total game changer.

Using the Ayre Qx5 Twenty DAC, and the N10 — and a Kubala Sosna Emotion USB cable —the USB was great and I left it. Last week I switched to SPDIF using a Nordost Tyr 2 cable and it was too a game changer. Deeper, wider, richer. More emotional. Couldn't believe it. 

There is one option I miss very bad in the Aurender interface, and that is a stop button beside the pause/play button. I often play an album, but are not able to finish the whole playlist at ance. Only option to stop the music is to clear the album, but I actually wish to just stop the music with the playlist still selected and play the same list the other day again.

Is that something other users recognise?

3 hours ago, AriMargolis said:

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome. @Foxman50 - the existing user interface will be the same in terms of functionality. But there will be some different color schemes IN ADDITION to the beloved 😉 brown.

@rwwjr44

@biosailor

Many thanks Ari, that is seriously a relief. The update has been mentioned for some time and has been of concern i must say.

Great to have some input from Aurender on this thread.

14 minutes ago, edje said:

There is one option I miss very bad in the Aurender interface, and that is a stop button beside the pause/play button. I often play an album, but are not able to finish the whole playlist at ance. Only option to stop the music is to clear the album, but I actually wish to just stop the music with the playlist still selected and play the same list the other day again.

Is that something other users recognise?

Isn't this what the pause button does. Whats the difference between pause and stop?

1 hour ago, Foxman50 said:

Isn't this what the pause button does. Whats the difference between pause and stop?

I have never played a whole album but I know in a playlist you can hit pause and then shut down the Aurender through the software.  Then the next time I can get right back to that same track.  It will not keep where you stopped in that track but will bring up the track you paused and then you can start from there.  I bring in a playlist then shuffle all the time and because the playlist is long I never finish it but its nice to start the next time where you left off.

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

4 hours ago, AriMargolis said:

You are exactly right in that the USB uses the DAC clock all the rest of the digital outs will use the Aurender clock.  I would think the unless you have a real expense DAC with great internal clock the best approach is not to use the USB out particularly with a N10 or W20. You are wasting a lot of money to purchase these devices (which have a great internal clock) and then use a USB connection to use the clock in your DAC.  

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

On 1/11/2019 at 5:40 PM, AriMargolis said:

Hi Russ,

I hope this helps!

Any chances that future updates will include something better than Wikipedia for album and artist info and liner notes, etc ? 

The Wikipedia link rarely ever works and it leaves quite a bit to be desired when it does. 

Even a link to allmusic or something similar would be better ? 

On 1/11/2019 at 7:40 PM, Stiv said:

Was wondering.  I have an Aurender N10 and and an Ayre Q5 20 Dac.  Anyone have this combo and of so, anyone tried out the digital connections to figure which they prefer? USB, spdif or Aes/ebu? 

I have both an Aurender N10 and Ayre QX-5.  I hear little difference among the various  inputs that I’m using (BNC, USB, XLR) with the the QX-5. My cables for my Aurender N10 to QX-5 include a DH Labs BNC D-750, D110 XLR, or Mirage USB, and far more expensive Synergistic Research Galileo USB. I’m using a DH Labs D-110  XLR or either the USBs mentioned above between my PS Audio DirectStream DAC  and Aurender.  To my ears it appears the the clock in both the N10 and QX-5 are both good.   I hear a much bigger difference between both of my DACs than with the various inputs of either DAC. 

As as mentioned above, the only way to know what works best for you is to try the different connections between your Aurender and the QX-5. 

Aurender N10 music server, Ayre QX-5 & PS Audio DirectStream DACs, PS Audio DMP transport, Ayre KX-R 20 preamp, Ayre MX-R 20mono blocks, Sonus Faber Stradivari speakers, Shunyata Denali 6000S v2/Typhon QR power distributor, Shunyata Research Sigma & Synergistic Research Galileo  cables and power cords. DH Labs digital XLR, BNC, USB, optical cables 

24 minutes ago, NordicBob said:

I have both an Aurender N10 and Ayre QX-5.  I hear little difference among the various  inputs that I’m using (BNC, USB, XLR) with the the QX-5. My cables for my Aurender N10 to QX-5 include a DH Labs BNC D-750, D110 XLR, or Mirage USB, and far more expensive Synergistic Research Galileo USB. I’m using a DH Labs D-110  XLR or either the USBs mentioned above between my PS Audio DirectStream DAC  and Aurender.  To my ears it appears the the clock in both the N10 and QX-5 are both good.   I hear a much bigger difference between both of my DACs than with the various inputs of either DAC. 

As as mentioned above, the only way to know what works best for you is to try the different connections between your Aurender and the QX-5. 

Wow. When I used the SPIDF after the USB  it was like a gear upgrade. So much better. I read Ayre spent lots of time getting the SPDIF right, jitter-free. Charles Hansen said in some interview it is the best-sounding inpu on the DAc. Makes sense. System sounds so much better. Waiting for a good AES cable and will try that soon. Spent a  small fortune on the Kubala emotion USB cable and I remember how much better that sounded than the old blue heaven usb cable I had on before that. Funny. 

48 minutes ago, Stiv said:

Wow. When I used the SPIDF after the USB  it was like a gear upgrade. So much better. I read Ayre spent lots of time getting the SPDIF right, jitter-free. Charles Hansen said in some interview it is the best-sounding inpu on the DAc. Makes sense. System sounds so much better. Waiting for a good AES cable and will try that soon. Spent a  small fortune on the Kubala emotion USB cable and I remember how much better that sounded than the old blue heaven usb cable I had on before that. Funny. 

I take it that you have both an N10 and QX-5 and  also auditioned the DH Lab cables?  I’ve also listened to The QX-5 interview on AudioStream and know that Ayre has a great clock in the QX-5.  However, so does the Aurender.  

I’m just reporting on what I hear in my system which I consider pretty resolving.  I also have an AudioQuest Carbon USB cable that compared my Synergistic Research Galileo  which was deinitly inferior.  I have some pretty expensive cables and power cords with which I do hear a difference, but as I’ve learned learned along time ago that price of a cable doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s better sounding in a particular system and it’s both  system and listener dependent. 

Aurender N10 music server, Ayre QX-5 & PS Audio DirectStream DACs, PS Audio DMP transport, Ayre KX-R 20 preamp, Ayre MX-R 20mono blocks, Sonus Faber Stradivari speakers, Shunyata Denali 6000S v2/Typhon QR power distributor, Shunyata Research Sigma & Synergistic Research Galileo  cables and power cords. DH Labs digital XLR, BNC, USB, optical cables 

@Stiv

BTW, i forgot to mention that my local dealer carries both Ayre and Aurender and knows both products very well.  With the N10 and QX-5, they came the opposite conclusion that you did.  

34 minutes ago, NordicBob said:

@Stiv

BTW, i forgot to mention that my local dealer carries both Ayre and Aurender and knows both products very well.  With the N10 and QX-5, they came the opposite conclusion that you did.  

Interesting! My dealer David Michael audio in Michigan came to the conclusion the usb  offered the worst sonics in the Aurender / Ayre connections. I tried to prove them wrong. Waste of time on my part. The Spdif is really something. All system dependent i guess. 

9 hours ago, michaelD said:

You are exactly right in that the USB uses the DAC clock all the rest of the digital outs will use the Aurender clock.  I would think the unless you have a real expense DAC with great internal clock the best approach is not to use the USB out particularly with a N10 or W20. You are wasting a lot of money to purchase these devices (which have a great internal clock) and then use a USB connection to use the clock in your DAC.  

As you rightfully stated, it's all about ones specific system. I'm using USB between my W20 and dCS Rossini + dCS Rossini clock. The latter no doubt is better than the clock in the W20. Extensive tests have shown that with the right cabling (in my case Crystal Cable Dreamline Plus) there's no difference in SQ with this setup or with dual AES/EBU. It is however much less costly than the latter! 😊

14 hours ago, agladstone said:

Any chances that future updates will include something better than Wikipedia for album and artist info and liner notes, etc ? 

The Wikipedia link rarely ever works and it leaves quite a bit to be desired when it does. 

Even a link to allmusic or something similar would be better ? 

THIS!

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

23 hours ago, michaelD said:

I have never played a whole album but I know in a playlist you can hit pause and then shut down the Aurender through the software.  Then the next time I can get right back to that same track.  It will not keep where you stopped in that track but will bring up the track you paused and then you can start from there.  I bring in a playlist then shuffle all the time and because the playlist is long I never finish it but its nice to start the next time where you left off.

I keep the A10 on all the time, so no shutdown here. So when I hit the pause button the Aurender will not go to sleep and will stay active. To keep the machine on, and with the playlist in memory the only option is to select the last track and drag the cursor to the end of it, so the track will play for only a couple of seconds.

Or is a shutdown via the app the same as the sleep mode the machine select itself?