IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

A new app update is available. Mostly Tidal and WiMP updates. Also fixes the missing text problem.

Upgraded App Version to 2.0.7 and Firmware to newest release 4.3.78 on Friday, ever since I feel a decline in WIMP/Tidal responsiveness especially when seaching for artists and their album catalogue. Takes quite some time before album tracks are listed. Some searches didn't even show results (no artist found), while searching on iPhone app worked flawless.

Anyone with similar observations ?

New update today - System SW 4(5).3.83 / App 2.0.7

- Update Scanner

○ Improved flac, wav and ape file detection

○ Fixed sometimes scanner never finished.

○ Compatible with AMM 1.3

- Fixed recently played song playlist does not work properly.

- TIDAL improvement

○ Add long press menu for an album/playlist image to add all songs in an album or a playlist

○ Supports links for an album in the artist biography.

○ Supports similar artists in the artist detail view.

○ Now favourites can be sorted by date of added or title. (Current default is the title, but will be changed to the date of added.

Also will be saved the order in the next release).

○ Shows song/album details for the currently playing

○ Fixed TIDAL does not shows nothing in specific condition.ㅆ

○ Fixed other many bugs related to TIDAL

- Improved scanner status

- Now "Add all files" will be shown if there is any files on a folder.

- Fixed other bugs and improved stability

Just upgraded my X100 ... Problems solved and tidal/wimp now faster than ever. Outstanding support! Sent them an email yesterday.

• 4 weeks later...
When leaving the Aurender is standby mode, does it go to sleep or does it stay on (front panel lights, etc.). If it does go to sleep, will the iPad app wake it up or do you have to push a button on the unit?

You need to activate the standby option in the app settings to wake up the Aurender or to put it in standby using your iPad.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I own my Aurender X100 for almost a year now and I still haven't figured out how to organise favourites by using the Aurender app. Unfortunately the user manual isn't really helpful and my orginal plan to ask Aurender reps at Munich High-End was frustrated by female jumping the gun activities for a pinpointing short notice weekend trip to Italy :(. High-End actually starts on a German public holiday and gives the opportunity for an extended weekend .. too bad.

Once you press the star buttom in the Aurender app, you usually expect to find those favourite albums and songs you have marked with stars

fav1.jpg

But once I mark an album with stars

fav2.jpg

It will not be displayed when I filter for favourites, even when I initiate a CleanScan of library or if I rebuild title database ... favourites are still empty

fav3.jpg

Even the star indication that was previously marked is reset once I reload the album

fav4.jpg

Any ideas ?

Tom

Since reading your post I have rated a few albums. They are all displayed when I depress the "Star" button AND none of the other buttons (if the album doesn't fall in these categories) "DSD" or "16/24" buttons are also depressed. In other words, if the album is a 16/41 file it will show as long as the "DSD" and "16/24" buttons aren't depressed. This also applies to the number of days for displaying new albums button.

Thanks for your advice, too bad it doesn't work for me.

what is your favourites filter set to ?

what is the low star limit ?

what is the high star limit ?

No matter how I adjust the low or high no album will be displayed as favourite. If I set the high limit to no star then all albums are listed as favourites when I press the star button.

I finally decided to get an Aurender X100L (6TB)! It should be here next week :~)

One question before I receive it. The following is the file structure of my music. Is this ok for the X100L, or should restructure it?

[Artist folder] ---> [Album folder] ---> individual tracks.

Perfect, additionally I created a genre folder on the Aurender and put in the respective folder artist/album/tracks sub folders. But this is not mandatory if your albums are properly tagged, just an organisational thing. Nice side effect is that your genre folder structure will be displayed in the Aurender app.

Have fun, you won't be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...
Seems there were updates yesterday

• Lastest Version : System Software Version 4(5).3.107 - Released on May 12 2015
  • Aurender App Version 2.1.8 - Released on May 12 2015

Everything installed seamlessly. Since I am not a Tidal user, I have not comments. I have yet to see if there are any execution problems with the other updates and "bug fixes".

Interesting new feature, app shows streaming quality for the playing track. In Aurender app right next to the album art will be displayed TIDAL or TIDAL LOSSLESS to indicate streaming quality.

Thumbs up for the outstanding customer service and responsiveness of their support, it was only 3 weeks ago that I suggested to Eric a visual streaming quailty indication comparable to the WIMP/Tidal iPhone App would be a great feature for future feature releases. Reason for asking was I noticed that more often as expected HIFI indication for Lossless when using iPhone app was not highlighted especially with new releases, took several restarts of the album until HIFI was highlighted.

Tested the new feature now on my Aurender with a few albums of TIDAL (never listened before and favourite albums of heavy rotation) and realised that the LOSSLESS indication in the Aurender app seems to change from track to track.

Bug or feature ? Anyone with same observations ?

• 4 months later...
I recently bought an N100 and am very pleased with the unit. I particulary like the Tidal interface. I have one question though,and I'm sure there is a very basic answer, but I can't find it in the manual. What do I have to do to get an entire cd of songs to play? I've been having to press each selection when the song before it ends. I've tried adding all songs and setting them for next, and everything else I can think of but with no success.

Simply tap the "Add all songs" button right next to the artist name in the middle and hit "play now" for playback of the entire album.

Please check the online manual on Aurender.com for additional information on Tidal.

Oh no, here we go... I'm going to have to investigate that now.

Edit... LOL just looked at the price... to high for wire.

I already get the full 3D / real experience you describe, by removing the power line, and for some reason my Vega works with the ground removed also = only the 2 data pins connected.

I would have gone REGEN before a cable of that price as I suspect that with REGEN the difference between the two cables will be lessened.

Thanks for sharing in any case.

(are you on optical LAN isolation yet?)

;-)

I have a Amber Regen connected to my AMR DAC being fed by my X100 and a TotalDAC usb cable. The Regen is powered by a 12v SBooster LPS. After 6 weeks of using the Regen in my setup I have removed it out of curiosity and I must admit there is no difference... Being surprised I tried several A/B tests with different song titles of all genres ... Neither improvement nor degradation in sound quality. Maybe my first impressions where psycho-acoustics based on flaming reports by other forum members.. or the quality of the USB interface of my Aurender in combination with the totalDAC cable is on such a mature level it's hard to improve. Anyway, I'll give the Regen a break and will replug into my 777SE in a couple of weeks to see what happens.

btw, I have a Berkeley Alpha USB as well and there's no improvement in connecting via XLR to my AMR compared to direct USB while Jitterbug in my Aurender was a audible degradation.

Anyone else having the problem to upgrade X100 Aurender to new firmware 4.3.155 ?

Upgrade fails at 69% and forces Aurender to restart. Tried several times to upgrade with no success. Unfortunately, Aurender support didn't reply to my mail yet due to RMAF.

If your unit is from one of the earlier batches, an upgrade might be needed (changing an USB module inside), which is best performed by your dealer.

/ Marcus

Many thanks for the info .. Mine is definitely one of the first 10 being sold in Germany ?. What exactly needs to be changed on the USB module ?

• 2 months later...
(1) If I were to get an N100 and wanted to have my music on an external drive plugged into one of the USB ports, what kind of operating-system formatting would that external drive need?

(2) Also, the music files on that external drive...could they be arranged like this:

ALBUM-ARTIST-NAME FOLDER > ALBUM-NAME FOLDER > MUSIC FILES FOR THAT ALBUM

(3) What about compilation albums? Currently, they have "Various" as the Album Artist, and arranged as:

COMPILATIONS FOLDER > ALBUM-NAME FOLDER > MUSIC FILES FOR THAT ALBUM

(4) Related question: If I were to get an N100H and I was going to be transferring music files from my Macintosh to that unit's internal drive, that's by using the Aurender Media Manager application, right?

(5) Last question for now: How much of a sound quality difference might there be between the music files on an SSD external drive vs. on the N100H's internal hard-disc drive?

Dave, who needs to hear and find out and know whether or not the Aurender unit would best the sound quality of his current main system which pleases him greatly and whose USB-SPDIF converter and DAC and amplifier and speakers he would still use

1) any HDD formated by an Mac should work, at least all of mine are visible to my Aurender X100

2) as long as all files are properly tagged you could simply just drop them without any folder structure as the aurender will use the metadata to sort songs according to the information embedded in the music files. But for convenience reason I create a folder structure GENRE-ARTIST-ALBUM. Advantage is that the second row browser buttons will show the contents of the folders on the Aurender HDD. By default the folder names of an internal Aurender HDD are All, Classic, Pop, Jazz, Local and Misc. If you delete the default folders, your GENRE folders will be displayed in the second row of the Browser Buttons. Applies to Aurender models with internal HDD, but does not apply for external HDD connected to the USB port. If you want to use external USB drive you need to choose Folder in the first row of the Browser Buttons to navigate through your albums and an album folder structure is mandatory.

3) I assign Compilations albums to a genre and sort them in the appropriate folder GENRE-VARIOUS-ALBUM

4) No need for AMM when transferring files from your Mac to the internal Aurender HDD, simple copy job. You need to connect the Aurender HDD via Mac menu Go .. Connect to server .... as described in the manual. AMM is needed when using NAS as source.

5) Theoretically none or irrelavent as all audio files will be copied to the internal caching SSD of the Aurender before playback

I'd defintely go for the N100H with an internal HDD.

Enjoy. You won't regret.

Cheers

Tom

My question is based on N10 and the iPad app, but probably applies to any Aurender with an internal drive, and where one is using a NAS for external files.

If a USB HDD is plugged into a rear USB port on the N10, there is a provision in the iPad App to automatically upload the contents of the USB drive onto the Aurender

drives.

Is there some way to auto-upload the contents of a NAS, or is it only

"drop and drag"?

The AMM scan apparently reads the files on the NAS but the files continue to reside on the NAS, so that is NOT my question.

The question is whether there's a way to transfer NAS files to the N10 other than

drop and drag.

thanks

Only drag and drop/copy and paste is possible for transferring files from a NAS to the internal HDD of an Aurender. Need to be done via your PC or Mac.

Tom, thanks so much for your detailed response.

I realize, though, that I could have been more clear with questions #2 and #3.

That is, the file structures I described in each question are the current file structures.

ALBUM-ARTIST-NAME FOLDER > ALBUM-NAME FOLDER > MUSIC FILES FOR THAT ALBUM

and

COMPILATIONS FOLDER > ALBUM-NAME FOLDER > MUSIC FILES FOR THAT ALBUM

And with about 2100 albums, I have no desire to redo the folder structures.

So, am I understanding correctly that since all the albums have been tagged by genre, I would not need to redo the folder structures?

Would that be true for compilation albums too?

One new question: Is it correct that the N100H can be customized by Aurender or the dealer with an internal SSD for storage rather than a HDD?

Dave, who loves this forum for this kind of sharing of knowledge and information

I created the folder structure as seen on the screenshot below on my HDD1 of my Aurender. To prioritise the genres I simply put a number in front of the folder name. In those folders I copied the artist folders from my original Itunes libary. This works flawless once the genre tagging in itunes is identical to the ones on your Aurender HDD. Then I deleted the default folders by Aurender.

finder.jpg

As you can on the screenshot of my Aurender Conductor app my personal Genre folder structure is now available in the second Browser Buttons row.

IMG_0395.jpg

The folder structure you describe should flawless apply as long as they are tagged with matching genre types.

I don't know if Aurender or the dealers will substitute the internal HDD with an SSD, theoratically should be no problem as long as all power/voltage specs are met. But to be honest I doubt there will be an audible improvement as all files will be copied to your internal SSD prior to playback. But if you want to remove even the last mechanical component I see no impediment others then warranty issues, so there should be an approval by Aurender.

Addendum: I retested connecting an USB drive and scanned the USB drive with AMM to update the Aurender database. Now the metadata and album covers on the USB drive are also visible. External USB drive albums will be accessible in the second row of the Browser Buttons where you can see the button Misc.

and another question, I have relatively long and detailed genre names. will these be easily visible via a type of 'list view' within the genres tab in the app? I have seen only screenshots of genres as icons, which might make it difficult.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22799[/ATTACH]

When you tag the genre of your audio files like your finder folder view then you should see them accordingly in Aurender once you select genre ... But no list view is only tile view.

Btw, nice genre list.. I recently discovered dark ambient and enjoy listening to Demdike Stare, Haxan Cloak or Raime. Any additional recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Tom

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
A question about Aurender's Conductor app.

When you choose "Genre" from the top row of tabs, and say "All" is the choice from the second row, your categories of genre are shown, each with an album cover.

So my question is this: Why is the particular album cover shown for each genre?

It's not the first album alphabetically -- either by artist or album title -- in each genre.

And it's not either the latest or the first album added in that genre.

So what's the choice method, the algorithm, behind each genre's displayed album cover?

Dave, who would be happy to change certain displayed genre album covers

Mine shows last album added.

• 9 months later...
Works fine for me.

sound quality changed slightly too: better soundstage plus better bass resolution. Anybody else found this?

Add to library does not mean the album will be downloaded to your internal HDD. I added several albums to my library but the amount of data on the HDD didn't increase. See it as a convenience feature not to switch sources when compiling play lists and so I doubt there is an improvement in sound quality.

• 8 months later...