rwwjr44

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Hi from a newbie on this forum!

I've had my S10 for a couple of years now and must admit that as much as I love the sound, I'm really annoyed with the user experience. Coming from the Squeeze Transporter/iPeng-world where I had full control over metadata and how my music was sorted and presented, I had hoped for much more from the Aurender.

A couple of years ago I had some email conversation with the Aurender team asking for such basic stuff as support for ARTISTSORT-tag, and was "promised" that it was on the wishlist and might be implemented in future versions of the App, but since then nothing has happened. I have also asked for some kind of product roadmap, information about how they prioritize what goes in the app, but everything has been met with silence... Comparing Aurender with Roon with respect to openness, community/forum etc is a joke - it seems like all focus is on the boxes!

I really hope that since Aurender have no plans working with Roon, someone instead "jailbreak" the Aurender, allowing us to install Roon server/endpoint - in my world that would be ideal. Perfect audio grade, great sounding hardware with a top-notch user experience, but I guess that will never happen...

If the new App-version that seems to be in the pipe according to earlier replies in this thread doesn't make a huge step forward compared to the current, dated one, I will most likely replace my S10 with something Roon-based. If I want top sound quality, I can always play vinyl :)

CD/SACD: Krell Evolution 505, Vinyl: Spiral Groove 1.2/Spiral Groove Centroid/Clearaudio Stradivari V2, Phono Stage: Audio Reseach Reference Phono 2, Music Servers/Streamers: Aurender S10/Intel Nuc with Roon Rock, DAC: PS Audio Direct Stream DAC w. Bridge II, Preamp: Audio Reseach Reference 5 SE, Poweramp: Audio Research Reference 75, Speakers: Wilson Audio Sophia II

The Aurender is about as easy to use as it gets

I definitely don't agree. I want to have my albums sorted by artist last name while presented in the UI with first name and last name - I can't. Within an artist, I want my albums sorted by release year - I can't. I want to be able to manage groups of albums like box sets - I can't. I want to be able to use custom tags for filtering and sorting - I can't. I could go on for ever, but my point is that the conductor app is NOT as easy as it gets. When you have a large collection (in my case 5000+ albums in various genres) you need a lot more flexibility and possibilities than what's available today.

CD/SACD: Krell Evolution 505, Vinyl: Spiral Groove 1.2/Spiral Groove Centroid/Clearaudio Stradivari V2, Phono Stage: Audio Reseach Reference Phono 2, Music Servers/Streamers: Aurender S10/Intel Nuc with Roon Rock, DAC: PS Audio Direct Stream DAC w. Bridge II, Preamp: Audio Reseach Reference 5 SE, Poweramp: Audio Research Reference 75, Speakers: Wilson Audio Sophia II

I'm putting together my yearly list of improvements for the Aurender app. I have had great success in passing ideas on and find Aurender eager to interact. I'd be happy to add yours as you are looking for a way that is not typical for myself. Not to say it's wrong probably many experience their tracks how you do. For myself I have created a playlist artist by artist sifting out the normally few tracks within an album in some cases only one track that I like. From this list I tag the best of the best with 5star and then sort and create a 5 star playlist. I just like the idea of letting it run knowing that the next track is great from my main list without knowing what is coming and outstanding in the 5 star playlist. Now in your case you and probably many others want more interaction with your albums to create playlists on the fly. Sounds interesting. If interested send me a list of your 5 most wants and I will add to the list.

I'm album guy almost always listen to complete albums with all good and not so good tracks. Reason is that I think that is the way the artist wanted me to listen to their music and of course that's how I do it when listening to a CD or an LP.

I'll be happy to send you my requests, but it disturbs me a bit if that really would make a difference. What makes me more important than other users? Why not instead create a transparent process for request management with voting capabilities connected to an open community? That way, all users that want to make their voice heard have a channel and Aurender can point at this and motivate why they implement A and B but not C.

Yea I guess it is all what we are used to. If you are coming from Roon or a JRiver it may seem a little antiquated. Coming from loading CD's its like sliced bread.

I still bet if I ask you to search for a file you have, it may take you all of 5 seconds to find it :)

Sure, I can find what I want, but it's not that easy to find the second or third album by Eagles since they are sorted by album title after artist. Personally, I came from iTunes and Slim/iPeng before my current Aurender, and both solutions allowed me to have custom tags for both artistsort and albumsort and therefore I felt is was a huge step backwards being forced to use what sorting Aurender decides. I'm not saying that everyone should do it the way I do, but I'm lacking the flexibility to do it the way I want.

How about two Conductor apps, one with, and one without inclusion of Roon, and the customer decides if paying the license is anoption

To be honest I don't see the point in integrating Roon in Conductor. Either invest in Conductor and make sure it gets ahead of the competition and in line with the hardware, or bite the bullet and replace Conductor with Roon entirely. I'm not sure if the Roon path is possible without a Roon server in the Aurender box.

A different path could actually be to focus entirely on the hardware and build a Roon compliant server box (or boxes) based on Linux with top of the line components with 100% focus on SQ :)

Please be assured that people from Aurender read this forum, as do some dealers. We care.

That's great but it would be even better if they were more visible and also replied in threads like this one. I would go as far as saying that it's also a big part of marketing since customers like me tend to check internet activity before taking a decision to buy!

If they were able to devote a large portion of their time to posting and responding to posts and emails, it might be possible, but the reality is they can't. That's what dealers are for.

Really? How big is the company in terms of turnover, employees and sold units? Maybe companies like PS Audio, Roon and iRule are much larger, but they I think they all have a superior interaction with their customers with forums where company representatives are very active.

Since you seem to have first hand information, any news on the new version of the App? :)

+10

Conductor, while not perfect and in need of a refresh, is still a perfectly fit for purpose app.

SQ and reliability first, gimmicks last.

I have full respect for you and others who think the app is close to perfect, but please respect that I don't and please don't call my thoughts and requests gimmicks!

Just an example (again) about usability. I have all my Beatles albums tagged "The Beatles" and my Beach Boys albums tagged "The Beach Boys" - in line with how Discogs name the artists. In Discogs, iTunes, iPeng and probably most other user interfaces, you could either add a sorting tag for artists allowing you to sort as Beatles and Beach Boys or instruct the UI to ignore the leading 'The' ensuring that albums by The Beatles and The Beach Boys are presented after Barbara Morrison but before Bob Dylan. But in Conductor, all artist with a leading The will end up last making them more complicated to find.

Maybe not an issue for you, but very annoying for me. I have been told that the best way to fix this would be to retag my music, byt even if I could, that is not very flexible or user friendly.

"Mp3tag" (as example) is commonly used as convenient sorting tool.

Thanks! Not sure what you mean that it's a "sorting tool", but I use mp3tag to manage all the tags for my 25 000 files/songs and it's quite convenient since you can create macros to automate advanced tasks. In theory I could change all artist tags to things like "Beatles, The" or "Ferry, Brian" to get it sorted properly and the way I want, but I don't want to have it presented like that in the UI. Stubborn? Yes I probably am! :D

I think what some of us are really saying is that less functionality in favour of best SQ should be the Aurender way (as long as the app remains easy to use)

Maybe I'm wrong, but the sound quality is what it is based on the hardware and to some extent to software in the Aurender box itself, but it has nothing to do with the functionality in the Conductor App, so I don't see what you would gain by limiting functionality?

Trying to be creative one option could be to provide open APIs to the Aurender Server, allowing 3rd parties to build control apps, software players etc.

Well it looks like the brown background peeps are not going to be happy with the upgrade :)

I'm not really that bothered by the color, but is the only improvement in the app support for MQA???

1 - do you recommend to turn off unit when not in use (via Conductor app or front panel button), or is it recommended to leave it always on (stand by mode)? Not talking about back panel power switch, ofcourse.

I've had some issues with my S10 when for whatever reason I have had a power failure. The unit doesn't seem to like abrupt power loss and there is a HD recovery process when the unit is started again. The internal HDD still seems ok after a number of recoveries, but now I'm usually turning the unit off when not in use for a longer period of time. Of course I also have all my music backed up on another HDD as well!

2 - what does it mean when there is "HDD" icon blinking on top left corner of N100H screen. It seems to be randomly blinking during playback. I'm going to use N100H exclusively with playback from internal HDD. Is this behaviour normal?

Not sure about the first one, but I'm also having all my music on the internal HDD and am playing from that drive exclusively.

3 - how do i know, what music is alredy cached on SSD? Is there any indicator to this status?

I don't think you need to bother. I would guess that music is copied to the SSD when played, and the "oldest" songs are deleted when you play new songs that aren't available on the SSD.

@Aurender if you are reading this thread:

Since my main interest isn't Tidal, MQA or any other streaming service, the new release didn't bring much to me. Quite dissappointing to be honest :(.

I would like to know when something substantial will be improved for us who are using the solution mainly as a server!?

That is, with the second line of tabs in the Conductor software, the ones each person can customize, there's now a new tab named, in all caps, STREAMING. That tab is immediately to the right of the "All" tab.

Two problems with that, for me:

(1) I don't stream. All my music is on the N10's internal drives.

(2) That new tab has now pushed out my previous last alphabetical tab, which I had named "World".

Now the actual music that was under the World tab is still there, but now it's under the Aurender-defined "Misc." tab.

I see nothing in the Conductor app settings that allows me to change which tabs are shown. And that lack of control is the same in both the newest version of that app and in the previous version.

Any suggestions for fixing this annoyance?

It's actually possible to scroll the tab-strip allowing you to see all tabs. In my case, the two right-most tabs was "hidden" in the new version, but I could find them again by click/hold on the strip and scroll to the right. Still this is a step back and makes is more complicated since it's not obvious that you can scroll.

I also find it very strange to give the STREAMING tab such a focused position. It's also totally wrong to show the tab even when no streaming service is configured/in use! It feels like Aurender is moving in the direction where almost all development focus is on streaming services and not a high-end server platform to replace your CD/SACD-library...

Thanks. And yes, I've been scrolling the tab strip all along. But the N10 allows only 11 custom-named tabs, and the arrival of this STREAMING tab (all caps? so loud!) pushed off my last tab, last in alphabetical order, which I had named "World."

Oh, I wasn't aware that this has been available earlier - I thought the tab-scroling was a new "feature"!

Please let me/us know what they think about your request (or should I say bug). I haven't been very successful in getting my requests implemented, so good luck! ;)

I just realized that the new version of the conductor app has ruined the presentation of all my albums consisting of more than one disc... For a reason I don't know, Aurender now requires you to have all files in one album located in one folder regardless of how the ALBUM-tag is set. I have always had a structure like this:

Album ->

Pink Floyd ->

(1979) The Wall ->

CD1 ->

Track 1

Track 2, ...

CD2 ->

Track 1

Track 2, ...

In the latest version of the app, this music library structure will end up in two albums in the album view :(

Is it only me? How can they change this behavior from one minor version to another? Do they really expect me to change my entire file structure to comply with how they think the music should be organized?

Can you tell me if your master database happens to be on a Mac and if you used Finder to copy the files?

I have my master on a Mac and copy all music files to the Aurender using finder. I haven't done a complete scan after the upgrade though. But maybe I would also get tons of unrecognized files if I do!?

Most certainly you would yes.

Thanks, that worked just fine even though these files haven't been an issue before. Since I keep my music library on another disc, I guess it would make sense to use rsync or something similar to keep the Aurender local library synchronized with my "master" - I just need to find out how to replicate the changes - guess I have to read the man-page for rsync! :D

Still, this doesn't solve the problem with duplicate album entries in the album view. I filed a support request yesterday to Aurender regarding this but haven't heard anything yet... :(

Thanks Rick!

When investigating this further I and since I have been copying albums back and forth from/to the Aurender, I realized that the Aurender adds some invisible files/folders as well that at least I don't want to have on my master. There is a folder .aurender for each album and that folder contains files like auThumb*.jpg that are thumbnails of the album art.

Currently I'm testing a sync command to copy all new/modified files from my master to the aurender, and it seems like this could work. This is the command I'm testing:

rsync -avz -n "/Volumes/Media Backup/Aurender/" "/Volumes/HDD1"

The option -n will just list all files that will be copied without actually doing any copy. Any thoughts/ideas on how to improve? :)

Will be interesting to see the result of the duplicate album issue as while I don't have multi-disc albums split in separate folders from some previous testing of albums of different audio resolutions can definitely confirm the Aurender previously would combine like metadata discs regardless of physical file location.

Bad news... I got the following reply from Aurender:

Regarding your question, it is not a bug since we changed the way the scanner software detects albums. This is reflected in our release notes on our website: “The rule for detecting albums has changed. The folder (directory) is the boundary for an album, so that tracks (music files) for an album should be located all together under the same (direct) folder. Music files duplicated over the folders are no longer treated as the same album.”We had many end user requests for this for multi-CD sets and box set content. If you would like multi-CD content to be presented as one album, you can locate the files in the same containing folder and they will appear as one album.

They seriously suggest that I should reorganize my music library to comply with how they now think it should be organized to get it to work the way it did before! I understand that they want to support box sets - hey, I want that too! - but why not do that in some kind of smart way - for example by using additional tags, providing flexibility to the user.

I'm very close to give up and sell this wonderfully sounding piece of hardware, only because the software isn't given any attention and hasn't been improved for the 2,5 years I've had the box unless of course your #1 priority is streaming. Really sad, but true :(

You know I did read that in the release notes last week but since I already store things that way guess it didn't really register with me.

Good for you! Obviously I didn't read the release notes that carefully, but even if I had, it would only have helped short term since it isn't an option to stay on an older version for very long.

Does anyone know what this line in the release notes mean "Improved tag handling for specific files."?

3, some of my files are whole disc flac/cue, generated by eac, I guess ape/cue or flac/cue is ok with Aurender?

There is no support for cue-files in Aurender, so a complete album in flac will be presented as one song. Since you are using a mac, a flac can be splitted into individual music files based on the cue-file using XLD, but of course it will be a tedious task.

If you have poor meta data quality I would recommend that you at least give Roon a try to see if it can identify your music without proper meta data. If it can, I think you will get a superior user experience compared to the Aurender conductor app in folder-mode, but you might not reach as far when it comes to SQ.

I can't see your attachment!?

Given the extremely slow pace of SW development at Aurender, I really think it's a dead end and unless they decide to partner with Roon or someone else that can assist in building a modern UI I think they will be gone in a couple of years. I still love my S10 for the sound, but would probably have upgraded to a W20 if I saw some signs of development and future direction, but currently there is nothing.

As a replacement strategy I'm planning to test Roon ROCK with a dCS Rossini dac endpoint and compare that with my current S10 and PS Audio DSD. I hope SQ will be equal or even better. The neat thing with Roon ROCK is that it's a "black box" more or less, so you don't have to mess with an ordinary PC/Mac in your setup.