IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Hi all. First post here. I had a X100L for the past 2 years, sold it last week. Loved it but I now need something with a dac and balanced outputs. So I'm looking closely at the A10 but I can't find any reviews or comments on its performance, especially the dac part. Why is that? Anyone tried it yet?

Thanks in advance for the replies

2 ch: Aurender N100H, Bryston BDA3, Audio-Research LS25 Mk 2, Chord SMP1050, Dynaudio C1 Signature, Siltech 330i interconnects/330L speaker cables, all Furutech Alpha 3 AC cables, dedicated power lines with Furutech GTX-Gold receptacles, DIY stand. HP: (Aurender N100H/Bryston BDA3 sources), Phonitor X, Audeze LCD-X, AKG812, AKG3003

Me, I already have a pretty good dac, Chord Hugo TT in my 2 channel set up and I will be able to compare the two dacs when the A10 gets here. If the A10 is as good as the TT (which I would be really be surprised), i'll be able to use the A10 as a one box solution with my 2 ch. and my HP set up. If not, the TT will stay as the dac for my 2 channel feeded by the A10 and I'll use the dac of the A10 for my headphone set up. My only solution since both set ups require balanced outputs and my TT only has one balanced output.

Can't wait to read your comments russelbobby. But my mind is pretty much set on the A10.

2 ch: Aurender N100H, Bryston BDA3, Audio-Research LS25 Mk 2, Chord SMP1050, Dynaudio C1 Signature, Siltech 330i interconnects/330L speaker cables, all Furutech Alpha 3 AC cables, dedicated power lines with Furutech GTX-Gold receptacles, DIY stand. HP: (Aurender N100H/Bryston BDA3 sources), Phonitor X, Audeze LCD-X, AKG812, AKG3003

Hear ya there but also has a USB out so you can hook up an external dac. I will hook this up to the Oppo Modwright so can compare the dac section. I am hoping the Pre-amp section shuts down when using the USB out.. am thinking it will.

I asked a question regarding the volume control to Aurender. What happens if I connect the A10 to an existing pre, a pre/dac or an integrated. Here's Jesse's response:

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=align: center][TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]We will have an option to do what you are requesting more easily, and so it makes more sense, but for the time being, simply raise the volume of the A10 to 0.0db (max level) and in the Settings of the App, under Music Player, change the option to “Save last volume level"

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This comparaison with the TT will be very interesting. I indeed have today a HUGO as a DAC and also I will be more than interested to finally find a very good " 1 box solution ". But of course this is possible only if the DAC inside the A10 is top quality and top musicality (I find the HUGO (and the DAVE that I tried several time) very precise but...boring. At least with my STAX Set-up).

My new A10 should show up anywhere around Dec 10. I'll be happy to report comparison between the TT and the A10 internal dac. I'll be able to report on precision, sound stage, decay, instrument placement and stuff like that but not on the "boring" part as for me, the perception of "being boring" is a matter of taste. I had the Mojo, the Chordette and the Hugo TT and heard the Hugo many times and for me, it's not boring. So we dont have the same perception or taste. Different ears for sure. Stay tuned.

Just received my A10 today. Took me 5 minutes to set up everything. Honestly, its a joy to set up. Put a couple of well known albums on the HD and played them. At 1st, i said to myself "oh noooo". Sounded compressed. Even my wife noticed it (she has a very good ear - we are used to Chord's Hugo TT sound). But now, after 5 hours of play only, no worries guys, this is a true world class dac. IMO, it tackles my Hugo TT but its a bit early to say. Need some more hours on it and I will report. But definitely a very good product. Very slick. The volume control is great, 120 steps, 0,5db per steps, can control with the app. Just wanted to share the good news. Talk to you in 50 hours of play time (which may take a couple weeks...lol)

I have my doubts about that comparison too. By the way, that also goes for the Nagra (excellent DAC!) versus the Rossini. I've heard both extensively and I feel the Rossini sounds more analogue and real. But of course it's always a matter of taste and also of system synergy. Did you listen to the Rossini with or without the external clock?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Personnally, its too early for me to compare the dac of the A10 to my actual reference which is the Chord Hugo TT. All I can say is that I'm not lost at all with the A10 sound. Its very precise, the bass isnt muddy, it is deep and articulate ( I listen mainly to jazz and double bass so the bass sound is key for me )and the soundstage is pretty much equivalent with what the Hugo TT gives me. I never heard the others dacs that are mentionned here - my comparison will be with the Hugo TT and for now, even if its very early, to my ears, it is pretty much at par. And that is with 5 hours on the A10. Can I live with it on a long period of time coming from the Hugo TT which is a very good dac? Probably is my answer for now.

25 hours now on the A10. There's something in the presentation that I really enjoy. Very musical and dynamic. A natural delivery. Music just flow, balanced. Voices are a treat. Soundstage is almost perfect. It's hard to explain and dont expect me to go technical. But I'm impressed. Playing a DSD64 right now (Patricia Barber, Companion). Marvelous...

Just a word on the A10 volume control (or pre if you prefer). Is doing a great job on my Chord SPM 1050 power amp. Could it be better with a dedicated pre? Maybe... Probably. But at what cost? Me I prefer not to put another unit and cable in the chain. I had many pre amp and yes, a couple made a nice difference (Jadis JP15 was my best). But today, with the quality of digital volume controls, do we really need a separate pre amp? If you need more connections, yes, for sure but if for SQ, I'm not sure. I guess to each his own.

I had Hi-Fi tuning in previous equipment then switched to SR Black fuses. Big leagues VS Minor leagues. Trust me. You can buy 3 for the price of 2 right now.

They also need about 50 hrs but you will notice right out of the box. I have about 200 hrs on the Aurender. Keeps getting better and better.

I concur with russellbobby on the quality of the A10. I'm surprised. Never thought I would sell my Chord Hugo TT but I did. The A10 is now my sole source, directly into a Chord SPM 1050 power amp and I really love it. Detailled, even more than with the TT, but very musical. I would say...musical like Naim but much more refined.

I'm also very very surprised on how well the A10 fits with the Chord power amp. The pre in the A10 is well worth the one I had in the Hugo TT. Synergy is very good.

Fuses... mmmm.... what are the specs needed for the A10 please?

• 4 weeks later...
Please take any review with a grain of salt if is used as a stand alone. I have an A10 and just received a microZOTL 2.OS which is replacing a Modwright 9.0 Anniversary linestage and the SQ is fantastic. The A10 must be used with a decent>high quality pre-amp. IF you are going to spend 5-5,000 on this unit you HAVE to mate it with a pre. You will be short changing your self how good this unit really is.

Happy New Year,

Russ

I admit I was sceptical about this post... I thought the pre in the A10 did a very fine job - and in fact it does. But I should have known better after all those experiments with many set ups, lots of them with separate pre. Today, I had the chance to add a separate pre in my set up, a Unison Research Unico Pre. And yes, I agree with Russ. A good separate pre takes the sound to another level, its just like the notes float in the room. Very very good.

So... The A10 does a good job. I have it for one month now - about 120 hours on it. A fantastic server that works flawlessly, a very capable dac which is right up there with some of the best in comparative price range (tried Mirus, Hugo TT, Moon and Naim), to my ears at least - sold my Hugo TT - and the pre does the job. But yes, if you want to push it to another level, a separate pre will give you that extra. Do you absolutely need a separate pre? Nope. But if you want to push it to another level and have already a good amp, speakers and cables, this is the place to work.

Which music server had you been using with the Hugo TT? Since the A10 is essentially a fantastic server + DAC in one box, the server should be factored in when considering the relative performance of those other DACs.

I just purchased a Hugo TT last month. My server is the microRendu in Roon Ready mode. Since I'm hooked on Roon, the A10 wouldn't have been an option for me. But I'm still nonetheless curious about the relative performance of other DACs in its price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I had the X100L. And yes, maybe the server is better in the A10 partly because of the full linear PS vs the SMPS in the X100L . I believe the Hugo TT is a very good dac, I loved my time with it. Appreciate its battery power and it is a very nice HP amp as well. Cant go wrong with Chord in dac's.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, can someone explain me why some of my music are shown with one album and numbers twice on the app? - when playing the album the numbers are played twice as well?

when lookin in the folder there is only one album and the Numbers is only shown once.

If I understand well, this happens when you have the album saved twice on the HDD. Check your files (doing a search).

I stated this before in this thread and stand by it. I had a Chord Hugo TT for the last 24 months (with a X100L and a very good USB cable - Locus Design Essentia). I received my A10 just before Christmas. I had the chance to compare the A10/USB cable/Hugo TT to the stand alone A10. Conclusion: I sold my Hugo TT to keep the A10 stand alone. Honestly, I thought my TT would beat the A10 dac hands down. It wasn't the case. And I tried it. Your milleage may vary.

On another note, with the money I saved, on the recommendation of Ross (russelbobby) that the A10 was better with an external pre amp, I bought a good hybrid pre amp (Unison Research Unico Pre) to hear the difference and compare with the A10 pre amp. I'm keeping the external pre amp. I prefer it that way. The tube brings a touch of warmth and air that I really like.

All this is my personal evaluation and to a certain extent, a matter of taste. You have to try and compare for yourself. I really think the A10 is a bargain compared to a N100/high quality USB cable/high quality external dac.

Congrats! My bet is that you're going to fall in love :o If you have the chance later on, try it with a good external pre. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
I just stumbled across this tutorial the Chris put out awhile ago for the Aurender Conductor app. Nice overview!!. Found a few tips I was not aware of. Thanks Chris

Thanks Russ. Any news on the new version of the app or the new firmware?

All my music has been ripped to FLAC music files and is being played via the internal drive of my N100H.

BTW, what improvements (if any) can I expect if I were to upgrade my N100H with an A10 model? The A10 model would connect via a balanced (XLR) analog audio connection instead of USB.

Two different beasts... The A10 has a dac and a real good one. Also has a pre so a volume control. Outputs are XLR and RCA. Also the HDD is 4tb.

So, right now I use the RCA outputs to an external pre in the 2 channel set up and use the balanced XLR outputs to my Woo WA22 in my headphone set up. I could use the A10 direct to my power amp in the 2ch. but I prefer the sound with the external pre.

Never had the 100H but had the X100L which is pretty similar as of functionalities. Not the same at all. Server and streamer period. The A10 is more the all-in-one type: server/streamer/pre/dac.

Nice review Chris. I have my A10 for 2 months now and I agree with most of what you say. I'm personally using the A10 as my main source including its dac. Sold my current dac (Hugo TT - had it for almost 2 years and loved it) as I thought it was on par with the Aurender's. I'm using an external pre and prefer that in my set up. Not that the A10 didnt do the job as you said, it did pretty well until i tried a good external pre. I immediately felt it has more bass control on my power amp and a little more grunt (its a hybrid pre amp). Also, I can connect my other stuff (HP amps, extra tube power amp, etc).

I cant wait to try MQA. I dont think it will change my life vs hi rez files I already have but I feel it could be a nice add-on.

Finally, for me, the A10 is pretty much the end of the road for source. The road was long (and expensive - no rich guy here) to get what I wanted and I feel the A10 gives me the SQ (had many good dacs - Chord Hugo TT, Resonessence Mirus, PS Audio Direct Stream, Naim dac ), the flexibility (streamer, dac, pre) and the service (never forget the excellent client service that these guys at Aurender give - Eric and others are great).

Highly recommended gear and well deserved C.A.S.H. recommendation IMO.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

So wondering if anyone else has noticed this (with or without realizing it had anything to do with update as I initially had)? If you have a chance, try doing some DSD vs FLAC and High Res/ MQA listening comparisons post SW update and "chime in" with results. I sent a tech support ticket to Aurender a few minuets ago, so I'll update when I hear back with any info

All good here... DSD 64 and 128 vs HR 24/96, 24/192 and MQA: DSD definitely sound more relax, depending of recording, some better than others. No DSD is less in SQ than HR or MQA.

Thanks everyone for "chiming in"on feedback re: their DSD files via Aurender after the most recent update.

I've been working through this issue with Aurender tech support.

I did discover that they did actually make some changes to DSD files in regards to how the DoP functions (I actually did not even realize that the Aurender handled all DSD files as DoP, I had just assumed it was bit perfect / native DSD transfer via USB, but it's not, it is DoP).

They did change via this update how that DSD is sent as a DoP.

They suspect that what I'm experiencing could be specific to how my DAC handles DoP via USB.

I've shut down both Aurwnder and DAC and then removed all cables and then reconnected them all (Aurender's suggestion) and I've also removed the W4S RUR from my USB chain (also their suggestion), and I think that has definitely helped a bit.

Some of my DSD files sound good again (but some do not). They did tell me that they do not and have not added any DSD filters, only changed how the DSD file is sent via DoP.

So probably more of a compatibility issue with my DAC and how it handles DoP via USB than a problem with the Software update per se.

Also - in regards to person asking about Curious USB, I have used it with my N100H, it did "work" (no dropouts, etc), but it sounded awful in my setup (it made everything very Harsh and the low end was very bloated and boomy)

I am now using the Cardas Highspeed USB with great results (I tested about 6 diff USB Cables and the Cardas Highspeed USB sounded the best by a long margin).

Yeah... Dac compatibility... I know that as well... Aurender X100L DSD files into my Chord Hugo TT resulted in drop outs. What about if you play your DSD direct out of the A10, using its internal dac? Any improvements?

I have an Aurender N100H , not an A10, so not an option:) interesting that you have also experienced problems with DSD files from Aurender server. Only since the newest update, or prior to this update also? Have you notified Aurender tech support? Jessie at Aurender told me that he has never heard of anyone else having any problems with DSD files being sent to DAC from an Aurender, so I'm glad to know at least I'm not the only one!

Ah sorry. I missed the N100H part, my bad.

Not sure if the DSD problem was on the Aurender side or Chord's. This was reported to Eric at Aurender who tried to correct things without success. My feeling at the time through the e-mail conversation we had - although he never stated it in clear terms - is that he did encounter this problem before with Chord's dacs. That was about 1 1/2 year ago so maybe before Jesse's arrival.

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Raphael said:

Will make a couple observations regarding the Aurender A 10 in a couple of posts.

Purchased tha A 10 about 4 weeks ago and am amazed by the overall presentation   -- midrange, stage, detailed bass and very detailed and nice upper range.  Have been running it non-stop since adding it to my system. 

Recommendation -- listen to the A 10 in two or more systems.  I listened to the A 10 in two extremely high end systems that were around 100 k each.  The A 10 was very detailed in the first system but the upper end was too bright at times.  Could not have lived with it.  In the second system, which was even more expensive, the upper end was better managed but too dry or whitish (whatever that all means) for my taste.  However, the midrange was more to my liking.  In the end, I took the plunge and bought the A 10 since I suspected it would be a better match in my system which has a fairly good upper range and is somewhat satisfactory in the lower end but really great in the midrange.  Not only does the A 10 enhance the midrange, it is remarkably detailed but very listenable in the upper range and produces an impressive tight bass.

I know this all sounds vague but my point is that the A 10 is remarkable in that there definitely can be a remarkable synergy in some systems and in others, one wonders why you ever thought you could live with it, let alone like it over the long term.

I added a tube preamp to the A10 and love it even more. This pre (Unison Research Unico Pre) is recognize for its smoothness and I have to say that its a perfect match with the A10 in my system and to my liking.

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, JS21 said:

When playing any album I added to my library from Tidal.
I’ve restarted both the A10 and the aurender app and have also deleted and re-added albums to my library with the same results. 

Anyone else having this issue after loading the new update?

IMG_0625.PNG

Same issue here... all is updated (iOS as well)....

• 4 months later...

Same here... Apple Airport Express connected by wi fi to Apple Extreme. Works flawlessly for 2 years now. Good luck

Not sure how serious is Mr Serinus of Stereophile in his review process. For one, staking a sensible media server on top of another unit is at the least pretty amateur. I understand he wants to do it quick but there’s a minimum. Even the beginner knows How much a proper set up is important to sound, especially for sources. I therefore question Mr Serinus’s approach to this review. 

i have an A10 for one year now (replacing a X100) and never ever had a set up problem. The A10’s dac replaced a Chord Hugo TT dac. My first idea was to use the A10 just as a server and a pre. But soon I tought the A10 dac was good enough to sell the TT and use it as my main dac. Since then I’ve added a Chord Hugo 2 at home and can compare between the 2. I would put the A10 dac up to the level of the Hugo 2. They are different, the A10 being warmer, the Hugo 2 more analytic. I also had Resonessence Mirus, a PSAudio Direct Stream mk 2 and a couple of other dacs in the past years and although I tought the best was the PS Audio, the A10 holds its way against these fine products. It is certainly not to the dcs’s level. How much Mr Serinus ears are influenced by the dcs sound is something to consider.

I dont use the A10 pre. I have a killer HP amp that is also a very good pre (spl Phonitor X). I tested the A10 against separarates and frankly, i prefer to use a separate. I feel there is more control.

In my opinion, the A10 is a fantastic all-in-one source solution for the price. Again, compare to others. Not saying its the perfection but for the money, its more than many others. Me thinks Mr Serinus lives on a planet of his own and if you read some of the comments to the review, I’m not the only one to think that. And this is where, for me, a review has its limits, one of these being the reviewer’s perception therefore subjectivity.

On 25/12/2017 at 8:29 AM, Vincent1234 said:

Well, also in Aurender terms the A10 actually ís a budget conscious solution. I have walked the Aurender upgrade path myself, starting with the X100L, then moving to the N10 and eventually buying a used W20. Every step up is very, very clearly audible, as it also should be.. So when the N10 is your primary reference point, the A10 will obviously sound 'less excellent'. That's pretty logical considering its relative pricepoint. The reviewer is not negative in his conclusion IMO. The A10 is an excellent all in one solution within its price bracket. But it's not the end of each and every music server that came before it, which it also has no right to be. Just be happy with what you have and put things in perspective. 

Happy Xmas! ?

Agreed to all you say in your post. I have no doubt that the N10 or W20 sound much much better if you have the dac to match it. And it should as we are talking of a much bigger investment. To be honest, I dont really care about Serinus review. I'm very happy with the A10. It fits my budget (and probably the budget of most....) and delivers what I want in a convenient way.  Serinus says pretty much that in his conclusion. I just think it has a condescendant tone and It cannot be expressed better that in the last sentence of his review:  "Those who tend to listen to music while multitasking, or who don't spend hours on end sitting undisturbed in the sweet spot, need not hesitate"  Come on.... by saying that, he spits on my 30 years of listening to music sitting undisturbed in my own sweet spot with my budget set up. I'm sorry my budget and ears aren't up to his level.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Can you tell me where I can access the filters please. I dont seem to find them on the Conductor app.