IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

I have tried out the "Add to My Library" feature, and have been successful in transferring Tidal albums to my library, but the album art seems to get lost in the process.

Has anyone had any luck with this?

Works fine for me.

sound quality changed slightly too: better soundstage plus better bass resolution. Anybody else found this?

Add to library does not mean the album will be downloaded to your internal HDD. I added several albums to my library but the amount of data on the HDD didn't increase. See it as a convenience feature not to switch sources when compiling play lists and so I doubt there is an improvement in sound quality.

Yes I understand that.

I meant a general improvement in sound quality quality due to the Firmware upgrade.

Sorry if I caused confusion.

• 4 weeks later...

Having had an s10 since it was launched and more recently a w20, the hardware and SQ have been a joy. 

The last update however has been a pain. Initially I noticed a slight positive improvement on SQ but since then the software seems to have more glitches than previously. Tidal streaming is occasionally unreliable (although Qobus is fine) and boxed set file handling can be a pain.

i had hoped to get internet radio with the recent update but not yet for the UK market. Why certain European markets get this but U.K. doesn't. No explanation from Aurender why.

• 2 weeks later...

Frustrating in the UK. 

When I asked Aurender about their plans for radio in the U.K., they would not provide any information. As an s10 and w20 owner, it's really annoying seeing radio available in other major markets.

if they are really not interested in the U.K. Market, maybe we should just switch to local products such as DCS

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree. Used W20s are not common but they do appear fairly regularly. I bought mine around 2 years ago for £7000 which seems to be the going rate.

i remain delighted with it. The clock connection more than justifies the price I had to pay to upgrade from the usb connection on my previous s10.

I used to use dual mode AES/EBU with Siltech signature cables. Recently I replaced these with Furutech spdif cable. The spdif gives a much more detailed and better defined image. I found this surprising but the differences are very clear. Both AES and spdif are much better than usb which has a slight softening of the image (Siltech Royal USB cable)

Are you talking about W20?

if not, lack of central clocking will decrease AES performance relative to USB.

With W20, I was stressing how I found spdif through 75 ohm connection seems better than twin AES.

i was using DCs Scarlatti DAC and Masterclock. DCS masterclock was externally controlled by a 10mhz master clock based on a BVA Oscilloquartz 8607 which is significantly better than DCs clock alone.

as you rightly say, individual mileage may vary!

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, jon2020 said:

Get it first and then experiment within the context of your system. 

I used to use Siltech Signature AES/EBU.

i replaced with Furutech top of the rang spdif but I also evaluated MIT Magnum. Both gave a faster, more detailed image than AES. 

We repeated this with a friends system system who found similar results.

9 hours ago, bmichels said:

thanks a lot. I will investigate those 2 brands.   

But I wonder: may be the superiority of coax over AES that you noticed is also depending on the DAC you are using ? Some DACs may have a better AES input while other DACs vice versa may have a better coax input ? 

Anyway, In 2 days I will go listening to a W20 that is proposed to me for sale used.  I will report...

That could be the difference. I use DCS Scarlatti DAC, the second test was DCs Paganini.

with both DACS, 75 ohm coax was much superior to both testers so definitely worth  shot.

• 4 weeks later...

I am surprised that you are using usb to connect usb to dcs. In my experience, spdif 75 ohm plus separate clock cable gives much better results. Top Shunyata or Furutech Cables give superb results.

i have used Siltech signature series usb in the past but I would not recommend using usb connections here.

i guess that’s what makes this hobby so interesting. In my system, the use of 75 ohm digital cables easily outperform either 110 ohm or USB. Difference is a more dynamic sound. Of course it is important that you have good quality clock cables in use.

a good friend who bought my original s10 Aurender had exactly similar experiences with connection to his DCs Paganini.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I am very happy with my W20. The main feature for me which makes the W20 so good is the ability to synch to the external master clock which, in my system, is a BVA Oscilloquartz oscillator which provides unequalled stability. 

Any possible alternative streamer would have to have the ability to synch in the same way. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since many w20 users chose the w20 because of the facility to lock to an external masterclock, the clock upgrade in the w20se will be redundant. Replacing the psu with a linear power supply should be worthwhile. That should be possible as an upgrade if Aurender or a third party supplier would help. Otherwise not too much to tempt me to trade up.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for your interest.

i use two of the large single thickness damping plates side by side. The w20 sits on the m3x platform.

i use same arrangement under each dcs component and BVA master clock and Ayre KXR preamp.

each Halcr monoblocks sits on an m3 platform.

the effects on the w20 are additive so I don’t have any info on effect of single dampinb plate without m3 base.

hope that helps

david

51 minutes ago, isquirrel said:

I am not having any issues with playing High Res files, I have tested all the way up to 24/192 PCM and all is fine.

On another issue, I am about to upgrade my Aurender W20 to a Taiko Extreme which is a fair bit more expensive. My W20 is immaculate and available for sale. Colour is Silver. I have all the original packaging, box and manuals etc. PM me if you have any interest. 

Interesting piece of equipment. How does the Taiko synchronise the time clock with the rest of the digital system? For me, being able to lock the time signal to my external BVA master clock would be an essential piece of the spec. The Taiko site seems a bit sparse with information.

• 3 months later...