IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Dear fellow Aurender users...

Yesterday I changed the SATA cable of the SSD disk in my N10 with PPA Black SATA cable I had lying around from the previous setup. To do that, I had to use an extension cable for the power part since the aurender SATA connection is a combined data/power cable. A simple SATA Power extension did the trick.

And the result is simply outstanding.

Just so you know...

Cheers

KK

Hi-I'm new to this forum and have a W20. Why did you use the PPA Black SATA cable just for the SSD drive, rather than for all the drives in your Aurender? The W20 has 3 drives so that would be a large investment in cables inside the unit. However if worth the expense I'm willing to do it. What aspect of your playback did it help?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I was not very clear on what I doing now:I use iTunes on my Mac Mini to download my music via CD in Apple lossless format. I have transferred all my music to the storage drive on my W20. I do have an Oppo Blu Ray player which does play SACD and can send that to my NAS or W20. Just trying to figure out if theres an app to enhance iTunes, or run with it to manage metatag info, handle higher res downloads etc. As an example I have Bitperfect which operates inside of iTunes. Am I better off to just download high res tracks online (HDTracks, Etc) to my NAS or Aurender W20...or use my Mac Mini? Just seeking info on how others on the forum manage their music library?

Thanks!

Steve

For metadata management I use something on my iMac called Yate. Relatively inexpensive and is particularly strong on album covers, but is capable in dealing with all manner of tags. I typically mount the two drives on my N10 to the iMac and then use Yate to review and update any information on either an album or individual song basis. Usually downloading High Res from sites like hdtracks provides correct and complete metadata that should never require any changes. If you can avoid it I'd put all your music on the W20 first and then copy to your NAS for access by other music players (hardware or software based). I've a Mac Mini that has an external USB drive attached. I manage the music files on that system using the same Yate software. Only other thing I use is JRiver Media Center to convert formats (FLAC to AIFF for instance). But others prefer other programs.

Thanks this is what I'm talking about. Yates, JRiver, Amarra, etc. Some having the ability to increase the music res within iTunes. My question...does it really make a difference when the music resides on the Aurender hard drive? I know downloading hir res music does make a difference. My main question being...does any of these programs take whats already on your Mac hard drive and upgrade the res coming from the Mac music thats being sent to the Aurender?

Steve

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For the sake of discussion you should be able to replace the hard drives in your W20.  However...what it will take to do that could be a different issue since the W20 isolates the hard drives in shielded boxes.  I would suggest you contact Aurender and see if your W20 is ok to change drives, it should be but you never know what the boards inside the unit allow for max size, I have the most current W20 which has 2 8TB drives...I think.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dminches said:

Update on my W20 which is in California having the drives upgraded.

I just received a note from them, via email of course, that the drives are working great but the USB output isn't and it now needs a new main board.  When I sent the unit out the USB output was fine.  It is the only way I have used the machine.

So, either they messed it up in putting in the new drives or it got damaged in shipment.  This is EXACTLY why I didn't want to ship the unit.  I can only imagine what this is going to cost me to replace that board.

Right now I am not very happy.

Thats messed up man!  Hope they do the right thing for you on this.  I see no way the USB  got damaged in shipping.  Keep us posted!

Steve

On 4/9/2015 at 3:06 AM, Mr. Big said:

When leaving the Aurender is standby mode, does it go to sleep or does it stay on (front panel lights, etc.). If it does go to sleep, will the iPad app wake it up or do you have to push a button on the unit?

I typically have to push a button to wake it up and then the app connects.  Not saying that is the only way.

Steve

On 4/26/2017 at 7:55 PM, dminches said:

Good news.  The unit is fine.  The USB power was shut off and the DAC they use to test the unit requires power.  Once they turned it back on the USB started working.

Whew. 

Gives Aurender some credibility and certainly happy for you!  I felt like there was no way the USB would be damaged in shipping or that Aurender would have dome something to damage it.

Steve

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, isquirrel said:

Having all sorts of issues besides the one above, I cannot stream from Tidal, QOBUZ has disappeared completely?? Using a W20, please fix this Aurender.

I did the updates on my W20 without any issues.  Did you go to the Conductor app to update? I updated via App store, and the W20, and Conductor app.  I also had to reconnect via Conductor to W20.  

after that everything works for me.

Good Luck!

Steve

• 4 months later...
14 minutes ago, Vincent1234 said:

Of course it's very useful to check out these 'external' improvements, but truth be told that these will also improve the sound quality of an N10 or W20 and maybe the gains are even higher then. It's just a matter of how much you are willing and able to spend on your system as a whole. One of the most effective and significant improvements I have gained over the years was buying a dedicated high-quality audio rack. It didn't just improve the SQ of the server, but of the whole system, including DAC/CD, amplifiers and turntable. I would always start here as it improves your whole system in one go. Same goes for AC filtering, by the way.

I agree these external improvements can make a big difference.    The single biggest improvement I've experience is dedicated circuit to my audio room.  I use some very high power amps that can crank out 1000 watts each at 4 ohms.  I also have 3 subs. Therefore I ran 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits to my audio room.  Only my audio system uses these circuits.  I also use PS Audio P10 power regenerator for W20, and all other components other than the amps and subs.  I've been amazed at the graphing the P10 shows on voltage fluctuation, specially during peak demand hours, plus add in the amp draw a high end audio system puts on your homes electrical panel, having a voltage regenerator for the components makes sense to me.  Good power cables help, good outlets themselves help.  Not necessarily the outlets that cost $75-$100 a pop, but heavy duty outlets rated for 20amps instead of standard 15 amp outlets.  I also use the PS Audio LanRover USB Transporter than enhances USB audio into the W20.

I bought my W20 as a used demo and it had over 6TB of high end music downloads on it.  Thats about $4k-$5k worth of music!

I also agree the a solid audio ran is important.  I use a totally separate piece of furniture that my turntable sits on to avoid any vibration, and the turntable sits on its own stand on the furniture.

Steve

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Ponzi said:

Hmmm.  I like my N10 a great deal and I am quite sure it delivers everything the W20 does, any evidence to the contrary that may exist notwithstanding. 

Hmmm why do you reckon Aurender makes the W20...because they can charge more? The fact that the W20 uses batteries to power the drives to me and that alone clearly provides a lower noise floor.  What do you have showing the N10 delivers everything the W20 does?

steve

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, mjb said:

Why argue about the options a company decides to offer or not? I'm sure they can justify their reasons. However, for example, if you have a large capacity X100, your options to add SPDIF is to buy a cheap(ish) adapter or an expensive replacement. The choice is yours :-)

I completely agree.its pointless to discuss!

steve