IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Im very interested in hearing the A10's DAC. I currently am using an Empirical Audio OSDE/SE with all the upgrades and it sounds pretty darn good. I like it better in some respects to the Berkley Ref and it loses out in some ways. I don't have MQA in the DAC obviously and the A10 is supposed to have it or will most probably have it. I do have about 300gb of well recorded 192 tracks/albums, but I stream Tidal on my Linn Kiko (bedroom) and for my personal audio. I like the all in one, but am interested in how the A10's DAC will sound compared to what I have now. Not expecting miracles, but if it's close enough I may go the A10 route instead of the N100H or a used N10. So many great choices in digital coming up soon.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought the N100H, and loved it so much that I sold it after only two months...to buy a N10.

In both cases, all my music -- all PCM, both Redbook and high-rez -- was and is stored on the units' internal drives...no NAS.

With the same DAC, amp, speakers, I'd say the N10's sound quality is a definite step above the N100H, with greater depth, richness of sound with both voices and instruments, and a somewhat wider soundstage.

For me, another benefit of the N10 over the N100H is how the N10 has five different outputs vs. the single output on the N100H. That way, I can experiment with different outputs, run the Aurender into different DACs -- or different inputs in the same DAC -- to test them out.

If you can afford the N10, might be a better choice over the still-excellent N100H.

Dave, who does not like music servers like the A10 or amplifiers with built-in DACs since that creates limits in the ever-evolving area of digital-analog-converters

Thanks, I typically shy away from too many components built in also. I have a great DAC and the only reason I'll change is to get an MQA equipped one, however I'm not sure that MQA will sound better than what I have now. I have to see how much I can get the N10 or the N100H for and then make a decision. I'll be selling off my Steve Nuggent built Mac mini with Paul Hynes power supply along with the 300gb or so high res music. I'll need to figure out the best way to transfer it to a hard drive so I can then download it onto my new server when i get it. I'm still learning how to use the high end audio gear, lol.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Between a good friend of mine, we've had a lot of servers in and out of our systems.  Matt has a thread on another board about DAC's that has morphed into a server thread.  There are just many great options and folks need to figure out if they want/need, Roon and or HQPlayer or can they work with Aurender or Melco or some of the other open apps.  

I"m personally using a rebuilt Mac Mini  (2008) with a Paul Hynes LPS.  Steve Nugent from Empirical Audio used to use this server at his shows and it's loaded with a ton of well recorded music of all genres.  I've yet to hear a server IN MY SYSTEM AND TO MY EARS, that sounds as good.  The closest so far is the N10.  Aurender doesn't just sound excellent, but they back the product.

As much as I've liked many of the servers from single designers or ultra small companies, I worry about the future if something happens to that designer/maker.  Since I'm not a digital expert, I need help.  That's why some of these companies who offer great sound AND an all in one solution that's basically a plug and play situation, it best for ME as well as many others.  

I have a chance to get the SGM into the house for a few weeks and I'm probably going to do it.  I really like the guy who imports it to the US and have heard good things bout it. Like anything else, it's got pros and cons.  Some of the other solutions are basically a lot of boxes to max out what they can do.  For me, that's just too much.  Many of you don't care and that's cool too. This is why we have so many options as we move forward.  I think servers are in their infancy.  That's why I need to get something that can be updated for hardware too if needed.  I chose the Ayre QX5/20 (ordered the first day I was told it was coming out) and sold my Empirical Audio ODSE/SE (a giant killer), because their business model allows us to send it back for hardware updates in a few years when it's warranted to give their products a true 10 year lifespan.  In digital, that's awesome and I may not be wanting or caring about audio and it's upgrades in 10 years from now.  Again, that's me and my ears.

Threads like this are outstanding and I thank everyone as I learn so much.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Guys, the reality is that implementation of newer and better materials, knowledge of the various type of jitter along with basic trial and error gives us components that are worlds better than what the past gave us.  It's not even close if you sit and listen in the same system, same room etc... I have some older digital gear still that was considered high end in the 90's and early 2000's.  I have had friends bring their older gear over to hear differences.  

I just sold my Ayre QX5/20 digital front end/streamer/DAC.  I've had many top DAC's from 100k down in the system. I"ve recently (a few years) owned an Empirical Audio top end DAC (Steve makes one of the best on the market) along with the Ayre and a few other lesser ones I use for headphone listen at times.  I go to many stores and hear what they have along with my audio buddies.  I like to think that I get out and hear a lot of digital set ups.  I use the Platinum WW ethernet cables and when I use USB, I'm using the Audioquest Diamond cable.  I use an EMO medical filter along with optical isolation at times.  Both work very well and neither take away from the sound.  I use Audioquest Hurricane power cords and the Niagara power conditioner deal.  The cords and Niagara make a WORLD of difference.  Best cables I've had in my system, but I"ll be getting the Enklein and Elrod's in to audition soon.  

My system consists of Vandersteen Quatro CT, which to me have sounded better than anything I've auditioned from 30k down.  I use an Ayre AX5/20 with the build in Vandersteen crossover for the speakers (they are semi active).  Speaker cable are AQ Castlerock.  My interconnects are the former top fo the line AQ WEL balanced (their new mystical creatures are AMAZING).  My new Streamer, server and DAC are the Memory Player from Sam Laufer.  This is the link for those who don't know about it.    www.thememoryplayer.net     Mine is a prototype DAC that is getting better and better as they do up grades to get it ready for market.  The Stealth Caps are being shipped as I type.  I use the Hurricane cables on everything.  The music I'm playing as all 24/192 or 32/384 direct from albums or reel to reel. I don't know the A/D converter they used, sorry.  I've used various tweaks, but not too many.  I think my system sounds very good for the price range.  

I only share that, because digital is strange. It will sound different in all systems due to mainly power being fed. It's jsut strange that way. There are a few types of jitter than Laufer/Mark use to measure their jitter and they constantly upgrade the software to lower them all.  I have yet to see any other products lower their jitter this much and it shows.  I can actually change the jitter settings and the difference is not subtle.  They also use defragmented slotting for all music.  Makes a HUGE difference...The point is that NOTHING from years past is even close to this.  I loved the Theta in its day.  Most of my favorite dealers sold it.  Just a wonderful product, who's time has past.  

If you are being honest with yourself and others, you will go listen to it against the top digital on the market today and hear the difference.  I have done this as there are plenty of Theta's around still.  I have the Krell 64 and stealth DAC's (just sold the 64 and will sell the Stealth). They are still outstanding in so many ways. They really are. I had the Stealth in the system during a gap after selling the Ayre and it amazed me how good it still is vs many of the under 2k DAC's, but overall, it lacks in the highs especially.  Also the noise floor is not as low as the new digital is.  Again, JMHO, but I do audition a ton of gear and have a decent system to audition it on.

• 7 months later...

This happens all the time in the digital world.  SO often we've all seen this same scenario where a company does it's job and responds quickly, but it it to a dead account that was never updated, or to spam etc...  I use Apple and have to constantly change the outgoing email server being used as it always tries to default to my iCloud email that I too, NEVER USE.  (I have to have my me.com and iCloud.com as I've been with them so long and it has screwed me up since the change years ago).  

Glad that it will all be taken care of quickly.  Very few I know have had problems with Aurender, but when they do, the company gets things fixed very quickly.  I dont' own Aurender (I have a Laufer The Memory Player with integrated DAC), but feel the N10 is the best server in the business IRT ease of use, sound quality, build quality etc....  They make GREAT products.  I'm obviously not a shill as I have zero skin in the game.  Can't wait for your unit to get fixed adn back in your system.