IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

• 8 months later...

I have an N100H, and I was told that they will try to see if software decoding can be done. However, due to the low power nature of the processor, they were not sure if this would work, or would sound better than nothing.

Certainly, it would be desirable to do the software unfolding if they are able…

E

I was looking to a N10, but just for Tidal and MQA.

But if they don't do anything such as a firmware upgrade to allow MQA decoding, i cannot warm up to searching via tidal and saving to Favourites.

Do you see the duplicate albums from the aurender streamer and randomly selecting both till you find the MQA coded version and just let it play?

I just got a Node 2 to try MQA and liking it. The difference is that i can select search, select and play instantly from the BluOS as the Node is a certified player.

I wonder if this will be so for the A10 which will then be of interest. But without any update to the aurender app, i can not see how this will enable the A10 to play Tidal MQA from their APP.

I am guessing if they dont update the N devices, there won't be so for the A10 as well, sadly.

Yes, I see the duplicate albums on the ipad interface.

Since you can then mark the one you want as a favorite album on the iPad, this is not too bad.

Tech-support said that they are waiting for TIDAL to provide more information about the files upfront. Currently you need to play the file to find out what type it is.

Personally, I have also been looking at the Google documents list of MQA files, and then saving some of these into a "Master" playlist.

So once you have identified a file or album as favorite or master playlist, then it is very easy to play.

E

On the iPad app, it is very easy to select individual tracks or whole albums to be favorites. Basically, you star them.

As I said before, on the iPad app we currently see two copies of these albums, one for normal, one for master. They appear identical currently.

Currently, if you are using the iPad app, you will need to guess which one you want if you don't know if it is a master or not. As you suggest, you can just try and play.

Alternatively, you can do some of your searching and navigation on the PC desktop application but this is optional.

once you have identified which one is MQA, it will now be starred, so you will be able to play in the future easily without testing.

Thank you.

So this is an issue with Tidal and nothing to do with software decoding by the App.

Software decoding can be done once setup in Tidal.

Yes but currently software decoding only works if you're running and playing from the Desktop tidal app

• 2 weeks later...

I can save you a lot of aggravation. I had a N100s ( solid state 1 tb storage) with all the good stuff, W4S re-clocker,sbooster,LPS, Curious cables,yada,yada Using a Oppo 105d Modwright tube dac. The A10 leaves the combo in the dust. I don't think the Brooklyn can hang with the OPPO so I think it is pretty safe to say the A10 would clearly sound better. I really think the player/streamer portion of the A10 is superior to the N series. I know the literature basically states that it is a N series with a DAC but the improvement is leaps and I know the DAC section cannot be that much better then the Oppo Modwright. It could just be the integration. I really wanted to compare the player in the A10 using the Oppo Dac but everything sold so quickly I did not get a chance.

In the A10, There is no need for a USB connection. The data can travel internally at higher quality.

E

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2018 at 10:08 AM, biosailor said:

Yes, this is indeed a good review, glad for Aurender. As a matter of fact, this review made me thinking: I am using a N100H and till recently, I did like it. The only thing that for me to nag was the lack of Roon integration. So I switched back and forth between Roon running on my Mac Book Pro and feeding straight into my DAC (Aqua Hifi La Voce S2). I thought the sound from Roon was a bit more revealing, particularly in the highs. Si I went ahead and, maybe not quite logical, bought the small Auralic Aries Mini and set it up as a Roon endpoint. Not bad this little thingy! The highs are better on the Aries Mini (not so much, but still) but the bass response of the N100H is so much better and overall I do not hear so much improvement with the Roon/Aries Mini combo.

So I am totally torn: should I stay with my N100H that I basically like, despite it's somewhat shallow and unrevealing highs or is an upgrade to the much praised but very expensive N10 worth the money? Is the N10 so much more superior to the N100H? What I truly like with Aurender is the all-in-one package, whereas the Roon-Aries combo is a bit clumsy requiring Roon running on a core!

So, N10/N100H owners, what should I do? Thanks for input!

I would start by trying to optimize the N100H  which  you already own.  This has been discussed extensively earlier in the thread.

E

you didn’t really say if you wanted to spend a lot of money… 

15 hours ago, agladstone said:

What optimization’s are you referring to? (I’m being lazy and don’t feel like paving through the entire thread, lol)? 

I would love to squeeze any extra percentage I can out of my N100H’s performance!

I’m thinking about trying an Audiophile fuse replacement in it like the Synergistic Research Blue or the Tuning Fuses? 

W4S  or alternative USB reclocker with Linear  power supplies, And consider isolation of your Internet… fuses and such will not make a noticeable difference to this device.  You may also benefit from AC power filtering or regeneration for your whole system.

Certainly, there is a simplicity to a more expensive one box solution, but  these may have substantial additional cost.

E

• 2 months later...

Yes it’s very exciting that this MQA upgrade has finally arrived.

I installed it today, and it works very well.

I had actually requested this from tech-support 6 to 8 months ago, and it was unclear if it would be possible.

The cost is nominal, and well worth the upgrade if you subscribe to TIDAL,  or own MQA files.

To those who do not understand how MQA works, or do not wish to upgrade, no one is forcing you…

For me, there is a clear benefit to doubling the sampling rate from 44 or 48 kHz up to 88 or 96 kHz (and yes, the  unfolding correctly re-creates the Hi-Rez original files,  within the limits of our hearing, perhaps with some small MQA improvements/Modifications).  

Of course, we are always dependent on high-quality source material recorded/mastered  in high-resolution.

Thank you thank you to Aurender for implementing this update!

Eric

1 hour ago, michaelD said:

Unfortunately my DAC does not decode however I would like to take advantage for the unfolding.  The question I have is if in the software I select to turn the MQA decoding on how does this work for a mixed playlist of PCM, DSD and MQA.  Does the software know enough to not alter for PCM and DSD and only activate for MQA?  I would assume so but not sure.  OR if the MQA decoding on will it only work with a MQA playlist of tracks only?

Yes , This works fine