IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

It's a discussion forum, that means that all opinions are welcome.

You are not welcome to continue to stalk here. PLEASE leave this thread and allow the positive discussion it was created for to flow.

With respect, either you have a personality disorder or you are incredibly dim witted if you think your comments add any value to this conversation.

By all means create your own Aurender bashing thread, but would you please kindly stop poisoning this one.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

• 4 weeks later...
I am waiting for a Regen too. Let's see how it works with the N100

Same here... regardless with the TotalDAC USB filter and optical LAN isolation the N100 already sounds utterly sublime.

I cannot imagine that there is much more to come in terms of music enjoyment.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

P E R F E C T !

That would pretty much be the utopian offering as nobody would pay for what they didn't need and the electronics would always be as simple as possible.

(I would not want any internal drives (save for the caching SSD) and only 1 output)

I would prefer a customised build of an Aurender starting with the number of drives ranging from 0 to say 2 to 3 3.5in drives much like a drawer type mechanism. Different outputs like AES3 or S/PDIF can be available on a card(s) that is inserted by the user or dealer. If you don't need USB why pay for it, and if you have an external server or NAS, why bother with drives that will eventually fail.

I would have pulled the trigger on the X series, but hesitated about USB and compatibility with DACs and no alternative output. AES3 doesn't suffer the same incompatibility issues.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

I have never been satisfied with streaming from my NAS (and yes I have compared this alternative on my X100L. It just doesn't sound as good as playing from the HDDs installed on the unit.)

Mate, it is physically impossible for a file to be copied onto the SSD and sound different based on where it was copied from. If this was the case our word documents would encounter spelling errors based on where they were copied from. A file is a file... that's why Aurender are so clever by ALWAYS streaming the file from the SSD, regardless if it is copied from a NAS or the local drive.

The science of secure, lossless file copying is undisputable. You way well have noise on the LAN that goes away if you remove the LAN cable, but with Aurender you are never listening to the source file, you are listening to the perfectly copied file.

Try optical LAN isolation, you will be pleasantly surprised.

;-)

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Here is something a few of us have been experimenting with and with good results (towards the end as the thread has had multiple lives). http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/network-isolation-4265/. Not that expensive to give it a whirl.

Speculation is that it has to do with the receiving chips having to work less hard re-asking for packets (wifi being the worst) and thus less electrical activity within the box

Not sure what the timing is within the Aurender, but perhaps it starts playback when it is still buffering and copying files to not let the user wait as long?

When I remove the LAN cable the track still plays, so it must be copied first. The 1st track usually takes a few seconds [FLAC] to begin, after that you are merely adding to them to the SSD queue.

Isolating the network and filtering USB makes a big difference and I await the Uptone Regen to see if this tops it all off, then my digital transport / DAC stages will be complete for the foreseeable future.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Whatever. I trust my ears. Could it be something in my system? Perhaps, but I have been around audio long enough to believe that nothing is impossible. Let us just agree to disagree and let the thread move on. :)

No worries... have you tried (playing) copying tracks from the USB port?, before my NAS arrived I was using a 128gb flash key as a temp library, it sounded great.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

A very high quality method of vinyl ripping would be the Tascam DA3000 recorder, it can rip to PCM or DSD.

QUOTE=Fsonicsmith;444690]I don't mean to digress when the answer could be found elsewhere, but if anyone can suggest the best means of "ripping" vinyl to the Aurender, (again, I have an N100H on the way), I would be most grateful. I asked my dealer (one of the best, but perhaps not all that music server savvy) and he was pretty vague. I have both a MBP and a PC laptop. My thought was that I need to go from ADC (HRT Linestreamer) to laptop using a software program like VinylStudio (though I had VinylStudio previously and hated it for offering too many options) to the laptop, create a file and then transfer to Aurender via USB. That's about all I know and I am likely wrong. I may need iTunes too and don't even know that. Step by step or reference to step to step would be most appreciated. I don't care about metadata so much (tho album art would be nice) and I have no intent to separate vinyl tracks/preserve them. I intend, for the sake of simplicity, to simply record side A and B and stick an identifier for artist/album name and leave it at that. I am 98% vinyl-committed and the Aurender/AMR is for those times when I just don't feel like going through the vinyl playback ritual or have company over and can't keep getting up.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Ditto, but I can still use my N100 by using folder browsing so at least I can add my NAS tunes to the queue and listen to them.

They really need to get their Windows and Android apps up to speed and quickly... Apple do not represent the global community, not by far. This is bordering on foolish complacency and will certainly be costing them sales, which is a shame as their hardware is utterly fabulous.

Come on Aurender, you are almost there!

;-)

Yep, my aurender N100 works perfectly, until it upgraded and now lost everything from the NAS. Damn, I sure hope who ever did this upgrade gets some more on the job training.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Good job, thanks and thumbs up.

I contacted Eric Shim at Aurender and he has sent the following link for the Windows AMM

http://files.aurender.com/AurenderMediaManager/Beta/AurenderMediaManager-Windows.242.zip

Graeme

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using the android app... it is fit for purpose and easy to use on my Samsung S5... it is a few revisions behind their apple app(s), but the important functions are all there and it is stable.

I would never by an apple device just to function as a remote control and the android app already works way well enough for this not to be necessary... also they are supposed to be releasing a newer android app soonish.

I have a N10 arriving in a couple days, it is replacing one of the original SlimDevices Transporters.

I was wondering if any Aurender owners are using the Android app to control it ? I have a Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 (purchased for piano sheet music primarily) and was hoping the app - which is listed as a beta - will work adequately. My only other tablet is an ancient iPad from ~ 2009, Apple dropped iOS support for that dinosaur after 5.x and looks like the Conductor app requires iOS 7 or later to install/run.

I'll likely end up buying iPad Air anyway, but hoping to hold off a bit as the new model should be out in a month or so. My plan is to set it up in an iPort charge case and stand by my equipment and use it to control the Aurender and as well as the Elan G! home electronics and security, and my hopefully my GHL aquarium equipment.

Also I was curious if iPeng 8 (excellent iPhone app) might 'see' the Aurender and be able to control it ? It is mainly a LMS remote contro, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it worked with some other players that used Media Player Daemon, which I think Conductor is based on to some degree. Hopefully Surender will release a simplified iPhone app before too long, it would be a nice convenience since my phone is generally always on me unlike a tablet.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Apple : choose some songs, add them to the queue, listen to them

Android : choose some songs, add them to the queue, listen to them

;-)

If they do, great, but the current app is so far behind the iPad app. The only Apple product here is the iPad, and it does the job very well. It's not worth getting worked up about. Get an iPad and enjoy the full benefits you've been missing out on, which are many.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thin is the absolute opposite of how the N100 sounds.

Particulary when used with the Totaldac USB filter cable feeding a REGEN (with LPS) and fibre LAN isolation (with LPS). This combination is going to be very hard to significantly best at any price.

I guess the problem is that the above setup (and similar optimisations) can't easily be auditioned prior to purchase.

Yes, very nice. But he places it very close to the Auralic Aires. Too close for my taste as the Aries is a little bit too "thin" when it comes to SQ. I will probably head directly to the N10 for the auditioning.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Hi Morten,

It sounds better with it but are you using the supplied switch mode (SMPS) or a nice linear power supply (LPS) with the REGEN?

LPS is the way to go.

;-)

Hallo r_w

Just out of curiosity, have you tried to remove the Regen, I have removed mine, I think it sounds more relaxed and balanced without it, I was surprised by this as the Regen help a lot together with my PC...

Kind regards Morten

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Oh no, here we go... I'm going to have to investigate that now.

Edit... LOL just looked at the price... to high for wire.

I already get the full 3D / real experience you describe, by removing the power line, and for some reason my Vega works with the ground removed also = only the 2 data pins connected.

I would have gone REGEN before a cable of that price as I suspect that with REGEN the difference between the two cables will be lessened.

Thanks for sharing in any case.

(are you on optical LAN isolation yet?)

;-)

Recently I bought the new Stealth USB cable after vast listening and replaced my (previous) TotalDac USB filter. I was shocked by the difference.

Everything is in a whole new three dimensional soundstage with lots of more dynamics and even sweeter tone (which was totaldac's main game). The sound is more organic now and with lots of presence. Kinda spooky feeling like being in a live concert.

Aurender and Stealth Audio USB is a fantastic match.

Regen is also on order.

Non stop ride; this is.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Good insightful post,

It's clear the better the USB implementation of the kit - and general noise optimisation of the system - the less there is for a regen or anything else to improve, my system sounds very good at the moment, I don't really want to change anything.

Improvements, however small, add up and fortunately many of these tweaks are not expensive.

;-)

I have a Amber Regen connected to my AMR DAC being fed by my X100 and a TotalDAC usb cable. The Regen is powered by a 12v SBooster LPS. After 6 weeks of using the Regen in my setup I have removed it out of curiosity and I must admit there is no difference... Being surprised I tried several A/B tests with different song titles of all genres ... Neither improvement nor degradation in sound quality. Maybe my first impressions where psycho-acoustics based on flaming reports by other forum members.. or the quality of the USB interface of my Aurender in combination with the totalDAC cable is on such a mature level it's hard to improve. Anyway, I'll give the Regen a break and will replug into my 777SE in a couple of weeks to see what happens.

btw, I have a Berkeley Alpha USB as well and there's no improvement in connecting via XLR to my AMR compared to direct USB while Jitterbug in my Aurender was a audible degradation.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

I would consider removing (or unplugging) the HDD then, you will possibly experience SQ improvement (I'm on N100 without an internal HD). NAS works great with Aurender.

6 weeks I had my N100H, I think I have used the HDD two times, might as well have gone for the model without the HDD.

Kind regards Morten

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

• 5 weeks later...

Just removed my AQJB (Jitterbug) from one of the empty USB ports on my N100 (after a couple of months).

I had stopped listening to music for extended periods and stopped foot tapping. I couldn't work out why, so I removed the REGEN and put it back in within 2 tracks - it's slightly better with it in.

Last night I was getting annoyed that my system had lost its 'boogie and soul' so I pulled out the AQJB... Bingo... analogue central!

AQJB may well help inferior kit, but it wasn't helping my N100.

Anyone who has Aurender products and is using an AQJB should listen again with it removed.

(Best performance appears to be: TotalDAC filter cable > REGEN (with LPS) - using optical LAN isolation (via fibre media converter with LPS)

Hope this helps.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Very interesting, your SQ findings are almost polar opposite...

With the AQJB, my system initially appears more detailed, but it's only more detailed because it has enhanced (unnatural) brightness and is thinner (less body and warmth), it might also be that there is a shade less grain (the only possible minute positive), but it's all at the expense of lushness and musicality and it's a horrible price to pay.

It is probably the case that my TotalDAC filter cable is doing a good job of cleaning the signal for the regen and your AQJB is doing some of that work for you.

In my system the AQJB is never going to make a return.

PS. I'm using Auralic VEGA DAC, so our systems aren't identical (but would have thought having the AQJB in an unused USB port would only affect the N100).

PPS. Make sure you do the other tweaks LPS (for everything) and optical LAN isolation.

;-)

I have an N100H into a Black Cat USB into an AMR DP777. I have been using both the AQJB and Uptone Regen in tandem. Got the AQJB first, noticed an improvement, and when the Regen arrived I put it in the signal chain without thinking twice (or once) about removing the AQJB. Having seen r_w's post, I removed my AQJB and fed signal only to the Regen. No doubt about it IN MY SYSTEM, the sound is much better with both. The sound was brighter, coarser, and with less spatial cues once I removed the AQJB. Bass was less taught. With both, my SQ is very much akin to my vinyl rigs which are top notch (VPI Prime, Benz Glider, Manely Steelhead, Thorens TD124, Benz Glider, Manley Steelhead).

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

@Fitz,

Good job,

I saw a review in Korea (google translate) that praised his LPS with the X100. Shame they (Aurender) don't do a fancy external LPS as a legitimate upgrade for all models.

LPS is why I went with the N100 (+ I wanted no internal discs).

;-)

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

The range would look great as an optional two box solution (similar casework for the LPS).

:-)

Agreed, I would certainly like to purchase one for my Aurender N100 if it were available.

JC

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

• 2 months later...

Mine worked well with a WD 1TB USB drive before moving to NAS, but I think you can only have one at a time, never tried hot swapping.

Hi I have an N100H: I would like to attach a USB drive to it - it's not clear to me however whether I can attach and play different drives - i.e. Plug one in, play, Remove, plug in another and play.

As these are temporary solutions I don't need to run AMM but it would be interesting to know if this can be run on different drives.

thanks for your help

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

• 2 weeks later...

Got it, thanks for posting. AMM needed to run again for some reason, but it appears to be working ok.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Do you own a windows PC or laptop? If so install AMM on that as a temporary solution... I have the last 4 windows releases if you need them.

Got an email from Aurender support. Requested to do recovery. All went well with that process. But...the ipad app requested me to update to the latest server software 5.3.96, I am still trying...can't seem to download the lastest version. I am on ver 5.3.78

AMM still can't see my NAS, AMM still cannot do a graceful exit.....

BIG MISTAKE.....should have waited at least a month before upgrading - just to make sure everything is stable.

Now my Aurender is almost a BRICK!!! :(

Credit where is due, this is the first problem i had with updating aurender software.

Hope this get solve quickly!!

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Have you tried putting in the full network path in AMM, i.e. mine would be:

\\192.168.10.15\media\FLAC

Also, even though my NAS folders are set to allow access without a password, I still have to enter the NAS Admin Username and Password in AMM to connect.

Borrowed my friend's extra notebook to use AMM for PC. Brand new win 7 installed. Updated all patches.

1. AMM installed fine

2. Map drive to NAS works Fine.

3. AMM still cannot detect the NAS

4. This was on a isolated LAN with only the PC, Aurender unit and NAS.

This is not going to have a happy ending...:(

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

I'm sure in the older version(s) of AMM you could paste a path. Problem is mine is found so I can't replicate your problem. I feel your pain and want to help.

So you are mapping a NAS share as a network drive? If so I wonder, does AMM have permissions to access the share? Can you run AMM as an Administrator, is the shared folder password protected or public, is the mapped drive protected in any way?

When I first mapped my shared folder I needed to authenticate connection to it using the NAS admin account and password, if I right click the mapped drive and click properties > security I have 'everyone' and 'administrator' listed for access... the administrator account listed has the NAS admin login in brackets after it.

The Aurender (Linux) is probably using a different method of connecting than PC (possibly Mac too - I'm not a Mac guy but very proficient with PC), that's probably why it works. Also is Windows file sharing enabled on the NAS, most have 3 types, Mac, Windows and NFS that need to be ticked.

Seems extremely odd that it's doesn't work for you on either Mac or PC, that would lead to some kind of permissions issue on the NAS. IT is great when it works but is so frustrating when silly illogical stuff like this crops up.

dear r_w,

how does one input manually the \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharename in AMM 3.2.0 ? There is no facility for it. When you click add a share, AMM bring out another screen which just list - NAS SERVERS ON MY NETWORK and SHARES IN NAS. It's the same for the PC as well

The funny things is - the Aurender unit successfully mounted the NAS share via the Aurender IPAD app

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc: