IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

I'm new to this forum. I was interested in the W20SE, but was curious if anyone has compared this to the Innous Statement in terms of musicality. I'm not referring to which one necessarily had a wider soundstage or more detail. 

I had demoed in my system and the Innous Zenith Mk3 with the Phoenix Reclocker and found the sound rather thin and not very musical. 

Thanks!

I'm a little confused regarding to turning off, standby, and power off completely. Can someone explain on how to do this with both the conductor app, as well as the power button on the front panel?  Also in the app where it says turn off, does it actually mean to put it in standby? 

I dont want to experiment and them screw up the hard drive. Thanks.

Thanks. I've seen that in the manual as well. What I was trying to understand is "turn off" the same as what would be called Stand By? I know it says there is no stand by per se with this unit.

Btw, when I click turn off in the app, the light around the button on the front panel is red.

18 minutes ago, Ponzi said:

I noticed, however, that the shut down instructions that came with my W20SE not only differ from the instructions that came with earlier models, but also say that following the earlier instructions could do damage to the unit or the data stored on it.  It sort of leaves one not really knowing what to do.  

That's what scared me.

Use Standby

Setting this to ON will enable the Aurender to be turned on and off using the iPad. However, when this setting is enabled, pressing once on the front panel Power button will only put the Aurender into Standby Mode. To turn the Aurender completely off, the Power button needs to be depressed until the Power button light starts to flash. Release and wait for the Aurender to power down and shut off completely. Improperly shutting down or abruptly disconnecting power to the Aurender may cause permanent damage to system

7 hours ago, HDgeorge said:

If you wish to use a UPS though, there is a solution to avoid its negatives by using a Torus PB2 powerblock after the UPS. This way Torus provides clean AC unaffected by the UPS.

so, the route is : UPS —> Torus PB2 —> AURENDER.

In any case using a Torus powerblock powering an Aurender unit and other front end units as well, it makes the sound better. More substantial, with bigger soundstage and depth and more natural sounding.

Highly recommended.

I would demo first before buying. I never listened to this unit, but aI found that anything that I put into the chain will make it sound different. Sometimes better, and sometimes worse. It depends on your perspective and how you like to hear your music. 

14 minutes ago, edje said:

I am very curious which DAC you use with the N20. I now own an A10, and wonder if switching to an N20 with, for example, a Chord Qutest DAC would give a significant upgrade.

Or would the Qutest form a mismatch in terms of sound quality, and would it be a better option to go to a X100 with a better DAC like the DCS Bartok?

image.png

Of course everyone’s tastes are different. Some people like the clinical and analytical sound, and other people like more of a warm detail sound that’s not in your face. 

I’m not a Chord fan. That’s just me though. Bartok of course is in a whole other league. 

I’m a fan of R2R ladder NOS DAC’s. 

23 minutes ago, Vincent1234 said:

As indicated by Ken: the Bartók is one hell of a DAC. So yes, it will be a huge upgrade. Considering the X100: if your budget allows you could consider listening to an N10 too (maybe a used one!) or even an N20. The N10 does sound considerably better than the X100 (which uses an SMPS instead of an LPS). But again, it's about budget. The N10/N20 would be a great match with the Bartók, but you could also be happy with an X100.

The N20 is significantly better sounding than the N10. I’ve owned the N10 and have the N20. 

I haven't compared the two, however I was all set to buy the W20se and called Aurender to ask their opinion of the two. They told me that the bass was more refined on the W20se, but the N20 bass was more pronounced and fuller. He said if you like listening to Rock type music that I might prefer the N20. I bought the N20. Sounds amazing with less than 100 hours on it.

1 minute ago, edje said:

That is indeed the way it goes in "audio world". If the Bartok will give me a tremendous upgrade in sound quality I think I suddenly have extra budget to buy a N20 😄

But given the fact that the A10 acts like the N200 will give me the opportunity to try it with the Bartok.

Make sure you audition it before you buy. It is a good DAC, but everyones idea of how something sounds as well as YOUR room and associated equipment is different than someone else's.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, PedroS said:

So, I'm the only one who doesn't find such a big difference... maybe because I always hear with display off.

I know that critical listening mode has some other functionalities off too, but maybe the screen is the most impactful in terms of sound.

That’s possible. I never just tried listening with the screen off. However I will say that if I turn the screen off of my audio research amp and also the preamp, it is noticeably better sounding.