IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

I am evaluating an Aurender W20, I have a good music server already, the sound initially strikes me as being quite different, but the more I listen I realise that it is significantly better than anything I have heard making it very hard to go backwards. I am using the AES 110 ohm connection into a Nagra HD DAC with MPS, I find the AES connection to be more much musical than USB. As the W20 is now 3 years old, are there any rumours that there will be a new model soon to replace the W20? I am prepared to buy the W20 so good is the sound quality but would also like to be able to run Roon and reading this thread it seems that is not possible yet?

I have a new DAC arriving within days that has an external clock output, has anyone tried the W20 with and without it to assess the difference it makes?

Music Sever - Taiko Extreme

DAC's - MSB Select II + Femto 33 Clock + Dual power supplies + Pro USB Module

Amp's - Raal HSA-1bMSB Reference HP Amp, MSB Select Estat Headphone Amp Woo 234 Mono's Elite, Takatsuki 300B, 274B

Headphones - Raal Requisite sr1a, MySphere 3.2, Kennerton Thror's, Stax SR-009 & 009S, Sony MRD-Z1, Abyss Phi TC, Audeze LCD-4, 24 & 4Z, Focal Utopia, HiFiMan Susvara

Cables - DHC OPUS HP, Stage III Gorgon XLR's + Xphynx USB

Power - Shunyata Triton V3 & Typhon QR + Sigma PC's Isolation - HRS SXR Ref Stand + MX3R Isolation Bases

• 1 month later...

Demoing a W20 ATM, wanting to buy but where is Roon? Come on Aurender my dealer tells me there are so many potential customers who are holding off their Aurender purchase for Roon. I have joined those ranks. Love the sound but would really like the option of running Roon.

Amp's - Raal HSA-1bMSB Reference HP Amp, MSB Select Estat Headphone Amp Woo 234 Mono's Elite, Takatsuki 300B, 274B

Headphones - Raal Requisite sr1a, MySphere 3.2, Kennerton Thror's, Stax SR-009 & 009S, Sony MRD-Z1, Abyss Phi TC, Audeze LCD-4, 24 & 4Z, Focal Utopia, HiFiMan Susvara

Power - Shunyata Triton V3 & Typhon QR + Sigma PC's Isolation - HRS SXR Ref Stand + MX3R Isolation Bases

That maybe, but we as customers would like the choice at least give us that. My wife really struggles with he AUrender APpp not so with Roon which she enjoys using and finding new music with.

• 1 year later...

Is there anyway other than using AirPlay to use Roon with Aurender W20 or other models?

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/03/2017 at 5:16 PM, agladstone said:

Thanks everyone for "chiming in"on feedback re: their DSD files via Aurender after the most recent update.

I've been working through this issue with Aurender tech support.

I did discover that they did actually make some changes to DSD files in regards to how the DoP functions (I actually did not even realize that the Aurender handled all DSD files as DoP, I had just assumed it was bit perfect / native DSD transfer via USB, but it's not, it is DoP).

They did change via this update how that DSD is sent as a DoP.

They suspect that what I'm experiencing could be specific to how my DAC handles DoP via USB.

I've shut down both Aurwnder and DAC and then removed all cables and then reconnected them all (Aurender's suggestion) and I've also removed the W4S RUR from my USB chain (also their suggestion), and I think that has definitely helped a bit.

Some of my DSD files sound good again (but some do not). They did tell me that they do not and have not added any DSD filters, only changed how the DSD file is sent via DoP.

So probably more of a compatibility issue with my DAC and how it handles DoP via USB than a problem with the Software update per se.

Also - in regards to person asking about Curious USB, I have used it with my N100H, it did "work" (no dropouts, etc), but it sounded awful in my setup (it made everything very Harsh and the low end was very bloated and boomy)

I am now using the Cardas Highspeed USB with great results (I tested about 6 diff USB Cables and the Cardas Highspeed USB sounded the best by a long margin).

I am having the same issues with DSD on a W20 I upgraded my USB Module to MSB MQA Module and now can't play DSD through USB, I can however play up to DSD 64 through my usual AES 110ohm connection. I understand that both MSB and Aurender are working on a fix for this. I am very happy with my W20 it sounds superb and better than any other server I have tried and I tried quite a few. I love the Roon UI and wish that Aurener would at least give us a choice of either using their software or Roon. The only fordable issue for me is Roon doesn't support Qobuz whereas Aurender does. I am right with the colour scheme people complaints, I wish we had a choice.

I have an Aurender W20 mid 2016. The only reason I bought that and not the N10 was the Word Clock link function. I have an MSB Select DAC, so I use AES XLR 110ohm cables and a 75ohm BNC Word Clock cable to slave the W20 to my DAC's clocks, which are much more accurate. The sound difference is night and day. I use USB for anything that is MQA, which the Conductor App shows the Tidal list of Masters or high res DSD the AES will handle DSD 64 but no higher. 

I used to have no issues running super high res DSD files until the most recent update which prevented playing any DSD files through USB at all. Apparently Aurender now treat DSD files differently than the previous software which was native DSD, now its DoP and it doesn't work. MSB support tells me that Aurender are aware of the issue and are readying a fix.

Cables: I have pretty much every USB cable you can think of. I found the LightSpeed very detailed but with no warmth and a shimmer on the high, it also was not very musical. I settled on the relatively cheap Transparent Premium USB cable. I use Transparent Gen 5 Ref XL for both the word clock link and the 110 ohm AES XLR data cable. Expensive yes but amazing clarity with great musicality. For Optical I use the $114 Mapleshade Cable, it sounds great and the price is awesome. It is also 14 feet long which they say is the best sounding length for an Optical cable. What is does allow is for the DAC to placed pretty much anywhere and I don't need to worry about the cable touching other cables as its optical and doesn't carry any electrical noise. 

Summary: Love my W20, I don't understand how but I could swear it sounds better than playing the same CD on a Transport. I use XLD for ripping on the Mac.

This is what I get when trying to play a DSD file over USB.

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, dminches said:

I agree with you.  The whole point of metadata is that it doesn't care where the files are.  Limiting an album to a folder makes NO sense.

Re using the Folder as an Album container, thank you for that information, it has helped me a lot.

• 1 month later...

On which Aurender model is this the N10?

How do you then control and play files? Forgive my ignorance but I am willing go try anything if it improves SQ.

I have a W20 I wonder if the improvement is the same? The W20 does not have WiFi does the N10?

Thanks, I have not heard about the Media Convertors, are they an Aurender product?

On 03/06/2017 at 6:33 AM, KunterK said:

Then Aurender will be busy trying to find a network so not apples to apples. 

The improvement is hard to believe unless you hear it. 

And this was suggested to me by Aurender support so there should be a merit somewhere. 

How do you control the Aurender if the Network cable is removed ?

• 2 months later...

Having all sorts of issues besides the one above, I cannot stream from Tidal, QOBUZ has disappeared completely?? Using a W20, please fix this Aurender.

Have lodged a support email through the App

• 5 weeks later...

Annoying that this feature was removed. Aurender if your listening please put it back.

• 1 month later...

NO matter what I do I cannot get Tidal to stream on my W20, I have sent a support request, all I get on the screen is Preparing Aurender and Tidal Stream. It used to work flawlessly a couple of Conductor revisions back but now its a no go. 

Any suggestions please??

• 4 months later...
7 minutes ago, agladstone said:

It that I’m aware of!! As far as I know Aurender products are not Roon compatible or Roon Endpoints, yet for some reason I was able to select the Aurender as an endpoint (“zone” to be more precise) and play via Roon Server running on a Mac and using Roon Remote on my iPad to control it. I have no idea how or why this worked ?  

This is very interesting, can you explain the exact steps you took to achieve this please. I have a W20.

Thank you so much for explaining that. I will give it a go. The settings and configuration is under Audio Devices ?

Thank you, I will report back when I have it working 9_9

11 minutes ago, mjb said:

I don’t think this upgrade will change your data stored on the hard drive, it may inadvertently change the data presented to your DAC, though I’m sure thats not the intention.

This issue needs to be clarified by Aurender I do not want any of my files which are Non MQA being affected in anyway. This I am holding off doing the upgrade.

25 minutes ago, mjb said:

There‘s a small Conductor App update available: version 2.9.4.1.

Thanks for the update 

14 hours ago, agladstone said:

I have become a diehard Shunyata fan over the years via auditioning several other brands. 

Shunyata power cables just seem to have some magical powers that translate into increased sound quality and performance. 

They have a new series out now called Delta that has replaced the ZTron series that I have and they also have the Aplha line which is above the Delta. I plan to eventually upgrade the Aurender Power Cable from the ZTron to the Delta, since the Delta employees some

new noise filtering enhancements that I think will be beneficial. 

Music Direct has a generous 60 day return policy, so if you live in the USA, that is a great way to give them a trial. 

I use Shunyata, always have. I use the Triton V2 and a Typhon connected to the wall outlet which is a dedicated line via Sigma HC PC, I tried a few PC's and ended using the now superseded Sigma Digital, I compared it to the Sigma Analog and it sounded better, not an earth shattering change but clearly an improvement. Previously I had been using Alpha PC's and the same applied the Digital sound better to the W20. Now this makes no sense at all as the W20 is battery powered so it shouldn't matter what PC is used even a $2 Jug Cord should sound the same, but it doesn't. The biggest change was placing 4 HRS Vortex footers under the W20. I also found that using AES 110 ohm sounded better than USB using the same cable manufacturer (Transparent) and it improved even more when I used a 75 ohm BNC word clock cable to use the DAC's clock rather than the Aurenders. It limits my high res to 24/192 and DSD 64. Anything over including MQA I use USB which is still very good. 

I always have major issues with freezing and the "Preparing Aurender" message on the W20, I rarely am able to get MQA to work even though my DAC supports it.

Would I benefit from upgrading to Aurender MQA decoder ?

Does anyone else have these issues with Tidal MQA Streaming?

Couldn't wait so I bought the MQA "upgrade" and am restarting the unit. Hopefully that will get MQA of some kind working.

MQA now works, except that prior to using the Aurender MQA decoder my DAC would say MQA now it doesn't? I might ry it with Decoding switched off on the Aurender end. I have a feeling I just paid for something that was already happening. Plus the MQA sign on the Conducter app now shows 32 bit 192K whereas the DAC shows 24/96?

Anyone have any idea what is going on here please?

10 hours ago, Vincent1234 said:

No issues with my W20 and using the first MQA unfold done by the Aurender. Using dCS Rossini as DAC. SQ Is absolutely fantastic this way. 

I do however have the same '32 bit' mentioned in the Conductor app. Obviously this is a small bug.

Did your Rossini process the MQA by itself normally? MY Select DAC does through the USB/MQA module and it shows MQA on the DAC's screen, but last night I toggled between the two (having the W20 do the unfold) and the normal way having the DAC do it, and I prefer the Aurender's sound by quite a margin. Its good that we are getting the same results.

I have some Bit Perfect Test file's which come with the MSB, so I am going to run those through the Aurender with the MQA switch flipped on and off and see what happens, I have a feeling that they will not play Bit Perfect with the mQA switch enabled. We shall see but this should clear this debate up once and for all. Cannot do it until tonight however. I shall report back here with the results.