IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

I recently added an N100 to my system, and it's a wonderful unit. I do, however, have a question. In my area, there are occasional power blips, an average of two to three times a month, usally during the day, while I am at work. The power company may be making repairs, or whatever, but I come home and have to reset all the clocks associated with anything in the house (clock radio/stove/microwave, etc.). It's happened twice, since I got the Aurender, and when I start it up the N100 is slow to boot up, and has a message about an unintended power shutdown. Now, the unit is not left on. but apparently it must be in standby, to have been affected. I am guessing this can't be good, but the only way I know to protect it from this would be by adding a UPS, which is generally not a good idea for anything associated with audio reproduction. Your thoughts?

JC

• 1 month later...

I just sat down a bit earlier to spend a couple of hours listening to music via my N100 only to find somethings gone wrong with the app. I've had the Aurender for about six weeks but never had an issue. I strongly suspect that it is being caused by the iPad, after I stupidly updated it to IOS 9.1, since everything worked perfectly before that. When I open the app on the iPad now, it closes literally 2-3 seconds after. Happens every time, even if I manage to select something. Is anyone else experiencing anything else like this?

It's doubly frustrating at the moment, since I had managed to carve out several hours to listen to finally listen to music this weekend, warmed up the amp and preamp and DAC, and now it's all a lost cause! I purposely didn't update the ipad to IOS 9 after waiting and hearing the huge amounts of problems that caused. It appears I should have skipped the "fixed" 9.1 version too. I should have known better! :(

Just went through uninstalling and reinstalling the Aurender app, and no change. Same problem. Not only have I now lost the time I had for listening to music tonight, but I have no idea whats wrong, or even remotely how to fix it. It clearly now cannot be the application after reinstalling it and having the same problem. That points clearly to the IOS update being responsible. And good luck trying to fix that!

JC

Did you try re-searching the network for the Aurender ? And also rebooting the Aurender ? I haven't updated to 9.1 yet - and likely won't for a while since I'm jailbroke on 8.4 - but occasionally they loose connectivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendation, but no such luck. I tried both, without success. Nothing worked.

JC

You could try roling back your ipad to a previous version if you have a backup. Or, trying reinstalling the most recent version while you ipad is attached to itunes.

Just spoke to a co-workers brother who manages the Apple Store in my area. According to him, they have had disastrous results trying to roll back people with app issues, or reinstalling earlier versions with the release of IOS 9.0 and 9.01. He essentially said I am toast until Aurender provides a version of the app for 9.01.

That means I literally cannot listen to music until that happens. Which is, of course, my own fault. What the hell was I thinking upgrading to another IOS.

JC

Does the app open if the Aurender is completely powered down? Do you have the latest app? Have you tried removing and reinstalling the app?

Yes to all of the above Not only is it incredibly frustrating to be unable to listen to music now, I have no idea even when Aurender will have an updated app available. :(

JC

• 1 month later...
@Fitz,

Good job,

I saw a review in Korea (google translate) that praised his LPS with the X100. Shame they (Aurender) don't do a fancy external LPS as a legitimate upgrade for all models.

LPS is why I went with the N100 (+ I wanted no internal discs).

;-)

Agreed, I would certainly like to purchase one for my Aurender N100 if it were available.

JC

But your N100 has a LPS. Do you mean that you want an upgraded LPS?

Based on what I've heard, I would certainly consider trying an alternative one from Mr. Lau if it were available. Granted, the point of significantly diminishing returns may be in play here, so perhaps it would add little to the equation.

JC

• 1 month later...
I was an Auralic Aries user - but the SQ of the Aurender is so much better.

Pretty excited about MQA and Roon. The Roon reply was the same one I received 4 mos ago so was hoping for a little more info.

Aurender may be a little behind but I am willing to wait. I have progressed from The Bryston BDP-1, Mac Mini, Auralic Aries( Femto) to the Aurender N100S and by far the best SQ has come from the Aurender.

Hopefully we will hear a little at CES.

Happy New Year ,

Russ

Russ,

Here is a comment from John Darko in his late September review of the N100 that sounds very promising:

"But Aurender can. Roon Endpoint functionality is reportedly just around the corner for the N100H. In the meantime, one can fire Roon at the Aurender’s in-built Airplay service."

JC

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping I can leverage some of the expertise here to address an issue that's cropped up using my Aurender N100. Last weekend, we had very high winds for three days, and it resulted in four separate, if relatively brief, power outages. This was the beginning of a string of events. First, my NAS lost it's established IP address and defaulted to something completely different. Secondly, a couple days later my router died (it was having issues before this, and finally failed due to one of them).

I am currently utilizing a borrowed router until I can do my due diligence on the best option, get the replacement ordered and shipped. I have now fixed the issue with the NAS, and it has the right IP address once again. My computer on the network sees it with no problem. However, the N100 is not seeing the NAS, nor did adding it manually accomplishing anything. I would greatly appreciate any help, suggestions, or other assistance on how to fix this problem. Fortunately, I can listen to Tidal, but really want my NAS back, and working with the Aurender. Thanks.

JC

JC (@TubeLover),

I'm a big believer in static IP addresses -- that way you always know where your devices are.

If you did not do so, go into your NAS and set it up with a static IP address. Then go into the N100 and put that IP address in for the NAS. You should be good to go.

Thanks for the help. However, everything has been set up with static IP's all along, and I'm obviously still having the problem.

JC

"Fortunately, I can listen to Tidal, but really want my NAS back, and working with the Aurender."

Apparently that was wishful thinking. While, if I sign into Tidal on my iPad in the Aurender app, I can bring it up, and select music, the Aurender does not enable any way to actually play it. Which means I am left with no music in the house. With the weekend now here, thats painful to contemplate until I can get things fixed, somehow. Help!

JC

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Steve,

yes...experienced same issue. Asked myself already if something might be wrong with my WiFi network....

Hopefully Aurender R&D will change/solve it soon.

Manfred

I've experienced similar problems lately when my router died. I temporarily replaced it with one loaned to me by a friend and, two weeks later bought a new high end router. In both instances, the Aurender seemed unable to connect to the network, initially, and also had problems seeing the NAS. I had a friend who is a network engineer over to check things out. The network could see the Aurender, and could see the NAS, but the Aurender had issues with both until powered down, and back up a number of times, and manually helping it find things..

His comment was that Aurender clearly had DHCP issues, at a minimum.

JC

• 1 month later...
The Modem (Arris) gets connected to RGB6 ( cable wire coming from wall) then you need to connect that modem to a router and also a switch if the router does not have enough Ethernet ports (the one I bought has 6 Ethernet ports, so that was just enough for me - I use all 6) then you connect the aurender (and any other media devices) via an Ethernet / cat 6/7 cable.

That is definitely the best way to do it, wireless is not as good for media / streaming in my opinion.

You can also buy an arris modem router combo just like the Comcast one you have now, but buying a separate one of each is better and will give you more longevity from the Modem because the router will become outdated before the modem does.

FYI, I may be one of the least technical/ IT savvy members on Computer Audiophile, so let others chime in but I believe I am giving you the best advice.

I think you're dead on with your recommendations. I also eliminated any initial problems with my Aurender by going to a hardwired (CAT6) cable.

JC

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Seeing how so many others seem to think MQA sounds incredible, any thoughts on if the reason we don't has something to do with The Aurender / Conductor app??

Perhaps also it has something to do with the Aurender just sounding so good to begin with and most others are listening and making A/B comparisons via a computer which could have lower sound quality and more noise to begin with?

The number of people that I have heard or read, including key people in audio who find no difference in listening to MQA far outnumber the people who find it better! Read through more of the previous MQA discussions here at CA.

JC

• 2 weeks later...
Hi JC - A couple items to note. Given that the N100 is a digital only product, it will "never" be able to fully decode and render MQA. It can now, and in the future, pass MQA content un-altered to an MQA DAC for full decoding and rendering. I don't think anyone knows if devices like the N100 will be able to do MQA decoding (the first part of it) for delivery to an MQA DAC for rendering.

It's a wait and see thing.

I understand, Chris. Very, very few devices can actually decode and render MQA as I understand it. Even fewer DAC's are compatible with it, and I think that the refusal of many key manufacturers to add MQA to their DAC's will be the reason MQA fails, ultimately. As I've noted before, too many people have spent too much on high quality DAC's in the past year or two, and are not simply going to dump them for something as controversial as MQA. At a recent gathering of audiophiles that I attended, there was virtually zero interest in MQA. These people had all spent significant money ($5-10k) on their DAC's in the past 18-24 months are had no plans to make any changes.

My original reference was to what qualifies as MQA "lite" or the software manipulation that would potentially allow it, and seeing if there was ANY discernible difference.

JC

• 2 weeks later...
So my A10 finally came in about 3 hours ago. Beautiful piece, very impressive, all 22 lbs of it. The pics do it no justice. Fired it up and it sounds great out of the box and this thing was still cold to the touch from being exposed outdoors.

Glad that you got away with this, but in the future, please be aware that no electronic equipment that has been exposed to cold weather like that should ever be powered up until the unit itself reaches room temperature, internally and externally. Not following this can lead to internal condensation and resulting damage. It's a good general rule, especially for audio electronics, to let you equipment warm up for an extended period (6 hours minimum, and overnight is better, depending on when it was delivered).

JC

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Taxman said:

Given the extremely slow pace of SW development at Aurender, I really think it's a dead end and unless they decide to partner with Roon or someone else that can assist in building a modern UI I think they will be gone in a couple of years. I still love my S10 for the sound, but would probably have upgraded to a W20 if I saw some signs of development and future direction, but currently there is nothing.

As a replacement strategy I'm planning to test Roon ROCK with a dCS Rossini dac endpoint and compare that with my current S10 and PS Audio DSD. I hope SQ will be equal or even better. The neat thing with Roon ROCK is that it's a "black box" more or less, so you don't have to mess with an ordinary PC/Mac in your setup. 

I understand your thought process, but, honestly, there is no guarantee that Roon will be there in couple of years. The Aurender UI is less than optimal, but so are many/most others. And I am not defending Aurender, and I own one, but there are no clear choices at present.

JC

57 minutes ago, Indydan said:

The brown background with yellow letters... It looks like chopped up bananas in chocolate!

I am considering buying the N100H. The Conductor app looks great, except for the colours. I hope that it is possible to choose background and font colours eventually. 

Chopped up bananas in chocolate are a bad thing?

JC