IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Will make a couple observations regarding the Aurender A 10 in a couple of posts.

Purchased tha A 10 about 4 weeks ago and am amazed by the overall presentation   -- midrange, stage, detailed bass and very detailed and nice upper range.  Have been running it non-stop since adding it to my system. 

Recommendation -- listen to the A 10 in two or more systems.  I listened to the A 10 in two extremely high end systems that were around 100 k each.  The A 10 was very detailed in the first system but the upper end was too bright at times.  Could not have lived with it.  In the second system, which was even more expensive, the upper end was better managed but too dry or whitish (whatever that all means) for my taste.  However, the midrange was more to my liking.  In the end, I took the plunge and bought the A 10 since I suspected it would be a better match in my system which has a fairly good upper range and is somewhat satisfactory in the lower end but really great in the midrange.  Not only does the A 10 enhance the midrange, it is remarkably detailed but very listenable in the upper range and produces an impressive tight bass.

I know this all sounds vague but my point is that the A 10 is remarkable in that there definitely can be a remarkable synergy in some systems and in others, one wonders why you ever thought you could live with it, let alone like it over the long term.

Further observations 

Boosting Internet download speed and upgrade of Ethernet cable significantly increased the quality of the sound of the A 10 in my system.  I am sure I will hear the oft repeated refrain that digital is digital and increased signal and wire makes no difference -- however, it did in my system.

First, I started with Fios at 75 plus Mbps.  Since the router was on the third floor and the stereo/A 10 was in the basement, I was going to have to run a 100 plus outdoor Ethernet cable to the basement for the A 10.  Instead, I decided to retry using my electrical line to transmit the Ethernet connection -- had unsuccessfully tried this 10 years or more ago without much success.

This time using a TP Link Powerline AC Wi-Fi Kit TL-WPA8630 KIT, it worked.  However, I was getting around 20 Mbps in the basement.  I was using Cat 5 cable from the Verizon router to TP Link module connected to the outlet.  I bought some Cat 7 cable and what a difference.  It more than doubled the download speed.  

Then, I upgraded to Fios Gigabit and what an amazing difference.  Direct connection on the third floor registered 850 plus Mbps.  In the basement to the A 10, I am getting around 300 plus Mbps.  

The Cat 7 cable that I purchased from Amazon is 

PiperCables PRO SERIES CAT7 (3 Pack - 5m/16.5ft) Double Shielded RJ45 Ethernet Network Cable Professional - Fluke Tested - 100% Guaranteed - Gold Plated - SSTP Solid Copper 26AWG

I highly recommend this cable.  I am running it from the Verizon router to the TP Link module in the same room and then running another Cat7 PiperCables from the TP Link module in the basement to the A10.

Another observation -- hooked up a Sony Hi Rez nw-zx2 to my preamp before purchasing the A10 and got a good sound running Tidal.  However, running the nw-zx2 through Wi-Fi with the 75 Mbps speed involved some dropouts.  Using Wi-Fi with the Gigabit connection, provided no drop outs and improved sound.  Although pretty good, the A10 blew it away.

So, highly recommend using Cat 7 Ethernet cables if you are currently using Cat 6 or below.  If available and you are willing to bear the increased expense of a near Gigabit Internet connection, I found it to be well worth it. 

(By the way, have heard the A10 running WireWorld Starlight Cat8 in another system but not mine; that cable is way over the top price wise and I am so pleased with the PiperCables Cat 7, that I am not remotely inclined to try it out).

Will forward a short observation regarding interconnect cable from the A10 to the preamp later.

Enjoy

• 1 month later...

Another observation 

I have upgraded all 4 of my Rowland Model 1's (run mono) and am overwhelmed with the synergy in the system with the A 10.  What a musical experience.  Having listened to the A 10 in three other over the top systems, I can't believe the difference.  They all had incredible detail but an edge that I couldn't listen to on an extended basis.

Yesterday, I put some metal isolation feet under the A10 and couldn't believe how the stage moved forward and with an edge of brightness.  Took them off and the musical glory returned.

I have the A 10 behind a door on a tall (over 6 feet) wooden standalone shelf system on a concrete floor.

Conclusion -- the A 10 is remarkably sensitive to set up --

speed of Internet connection, electrical isolation, cables, other electronics, speaker and placement.

This is good and bad.  Not sure if I could get the three top of the line systems that I previously used to audition to replicate my current system.  I am sure it could be done but I think that it could be a very difficult and frustrating effort. On the other hand, the A 10 has such remarkable potential, it is well worth the effort.  I count myself very fortunate that it didn't take me long to get the set up that works for me.

• 2 months later...
On 11/12/2017 at 12:13 PM, russellbobby said:

Another stellar review of the A10

http://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/sound-image/aurender-a10-music-server-and-streamer-review-472873

I just installed a couple of Synergistic Blue fuses in the A10. ( Replacing SR Blacks) Will report back after break in 

Russellbobby,

Did you find that the SR blues were an improvement over the SR blacks in Your A10?  How about the difference between the stock fuses vs the SR blacks in the A10?

Have never replaced the fuse or fuses in m A10 and do not know what size fuse to use.  If you have the time would appreciate your read.