IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

I have just completed the upgrade which deleted the database off the Aurender. Not an issue but the Windows version of AMM now says it needs to be upgraded yet the Windows AMM is still not on the Aurender website. Has anyone got a link for this. Many thanks

Graeme

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Does the new app update seem slow when selected. It seems to take a few extra seconds for album art to display.

Yes, It may only be a few seconds but its one of those things I found so great about the Aurender, was its instant access. To be honest it seems slightly slower full stop, selecting "most recently added" seems slower also. Im using a 3rd gen iPad if this is significant.

• 1 year later...

I think the issue for companies like Aurender, is they can't please everyone. I purchased my lowly N100 on SQ and the fact that I could order my albums in artist order with album artwork, that's it. Simple you may think but I'm amazed how difficult other manufacturers have found this. I don't want fancy front ends where I'm scrolling through endless amounts of information before selecting something to listen too.

I want a simple interface that allows me to locate my music quickly and plays without issue, That's Aurender.

I've had a few other solutions that have been a constant PITA. My N100 has been faultless apart from one issue caused by a power cut, which Aurender support rectified within 24hrs.

Folder structure and tagging is important, and I've discovered this when moving from product to product as they all use different ways to order music. However I've found that if music is tagged and structured well it will suite most systems. Based on my opinion and observations.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/04/2017 at 11:23 PM, JS21 said:

Custodian,

You can activate radio streaming by changing your date/time on your iPad setting to a region that's supported (Paris, Amsterdam..)

Is this correct. Im in th UK and set iPad to UNited States, no internet radio icon. Set Aurender to take region from iPad. Nothing.

i like internet radio for background music, which i sort through my Synology NAS at present but would be good if i could sort direct through Aurender.

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, BrianLS said:

I'm breaking in my new N10 after upgrading from an N100H.  Unfortunately, I updated my iPad to iOS 11 at about the same time.  I'm having quite a few issues with the Conductor app on iOS 11, and am wondering if anyone else is having issues or what the official story is with Conductor and iOS 11?  I'll downgrade back to iOS 10 if I have to but I'd rather not.

I haven't updated to iOS11 yet, however as an N100 owner id be really interested in your views of upgrading to the N10 when you get a chance. Im sure Aurender will provide an update on the app pretty soon judging by previous responses.

19 minutes ago, agladstone said:

I upgraded to iOS 11 and I’ve been experiencing some issues. Little quirky bug type issues and also a lot of freeze ups and the need to exit out and restart. 

Im not sure about others here, but I’ve continually also noticed big issues with the Wikipedia links to album and artist info (typically only works about 20% of the time, otherwise it just pulls up a completely blank white screen). 

Another issue I’ve noticed since inception that bugs me (pun intended), is that any DSD album I have that is either in .DFF format (vs. .DSF), Any DXD Album, or any DSD album that is DSD 128 does not show up within the Conductor app whatsoever in “normal mode”. 

I’ve discovered a work around, which is to use the Folder view (they do show up there), and then to replace queue with it and then save the album as a playlist, but it’s still really annoying. 

I have a large music collection and when I pull up an artist for example and the DSD 128 and/ or DFF albums for that artist are missing, I typically forget that I have a few of these for that artist that I need to go finder under folder view. 

I’ll send tech support this information now to let them know about these issues, I’ve not yet notified them about these things. 

I only have "dsf" DSD files and all appear normally. I do have one "dff" but it does not sit within my music folder. One thing I've read about is tagine making an issue. Try retagging a file and remove all data except title. See if that helps.

27 minutes ago, agladstone said:

Question:

Is anyone here using a NAS to stream music to the Aurender for playback? 

I have an N100H and I recently purchased a Synology 916+ NAS. 

My music collection is pretty large (around 25TB’s and growing), so I can only fit a portion of it on the Aurender’s internal HD. 

1. What is the best method to play music on the NAS via the Aurender? 

2. What is the sound quality like vs. music stored locally on internal HDD?

3. If I add the NAS to Aurender/ Conductor App, will this create duplicates for the music I have stored in the internal HDD that is also on the NAS?  The Synology has my entire music collection, so that includes the music I have in the Aurender’s internal HDD. 

4. Any tips and tweaks that could improve NAS to Aurender playback SQ (i:e. Powering NAS via an LPSU and or using Ethernet LAN Isolators on NAS connection from Router, etc.)? 

Thanks !  

25TH that's some music collection. I run solely from NAS.

1.you need the AMM software which you can download from Aurender website. This scans your NAS and populates Aurender database. Job done.

2. I cannot hear any difference as it's all played from internal SSD.

3.yes it will create duplicates so you'll need to delete from Aurender HDD.

4.not tried LPS. Ethernet cables have have not made any difference as far as I can hear.

Hope that helps

18 minutes ago, BrianLS said:

Hi Foxman50 - Sorry about that :)  I know what you mean.  I absolutely will not audition the W20 in my system.  I'm using a Nordost USB cable to a DCS Vivaldi DAC.  I lived quite happily with that N100H for some time, though - It's a really nice sounding streamer/server.

Thanks Brian. Sounds like you have a nice system there, if you pardon the pun.

47 minutes ago, agladstone said:

I have a ton of DSF albums in DSD 64 and all appear fine. 

Its only the DSD 128, DXD, and .DFF albums that don’t appear. (All tagged the same methodology). 

I will say that in regards to Wikipedia issue, I’ve noticed that it definitely does not work with any album that I have custom tagging for the album title,so that may be the issue? 

I have a ton of albums where I have a CD rip, an HDTracks 24-192, a JAPAN SHM-SACD rip (DSD), a Vinyl to 24-96 rip, and a USA MFSL SACD Rip, etc.

So I usually notate the version of the album in parentheses in both the folder and the meta tagging. 

Example:

“The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers - (2010 Japan SHM-SACD) - [DSD] “

No issues with DSF at 64 or 128. May have a play with my sole DFF and see if there is anything too it. Do not use wiki so cannot comment.

37 minutes ago, agladstone said:

I don’t want to delete anything from the internal HDD, I definitely suspect that the SQ must be better playin from onboard HDD vs NAS since it’s eliminating a bunch of external factors the NAS introduces to the playback chain.

As far as I understand it the Aurender loads albums onto its internal SSD whether from internal HDD or NAS, therefore in theory there should be no difference. But as always only way to know is try it.

• 4 months later...

Hi Jon

i too have this very weekend updraded from an N100H to the N10.

Firstly the size of this thing is immense compared, its like 4 times the size, with a screen you can actually read at distance.

Was it worth the outlay from a SQ point, absolutely. Im staggered at what the N10 is doing. Putting detail to one side, the flow of music just sounds so much more musical, more enjoyable.

one thing i have to take you to task on is if you feel the USB 3 adds something, which im not sure is possible as its using the same input, then do you not think another player may have provided the sound you want. Maybe i should not make this comment as i have not tried the USB 3 but to me your now hearing the USB 3 over the N10.

4 hours ago, One and a half said:

Right. The problem's not fixed then. If a PC has a power failure, it restarts, complains sometimes, but 'mostly' everything is back in its place. When, not if, someone trips over the Aurender cord, or the Utility company has a problem, you can spend hours rebuilding the Aurender. This surely can't be right and would mean the Aurender needs a UPS.

Sorry i wasn't saying an issue was fixed or not, as ive never had the issue on my N100H. Ive had many power cuts and as mrboo mentioned it takes a couple of minutes longer to boot following a power cut.

my point was never rely on equipment to work perfectly whether it says so or not, HDD fail, so backups are needed.

5 hours ago, jon2020 said:

Hi Foxman50,

I will save you the effort as you have actually delivered me from the trickery of the USB 3.0. One needs to take seriously the words of a fellow audiophile who has likewise invested heavily in an N10 when you made the comment about the USB 3.0. It got me to revisit this issue.

Before I got the N10 home, there was nothing else I could compare the N100H to. On its own, the N100H sounded good but adding the USB 3.0 enhanced its dynamics to another level. When I got the N10 home just a few days ago, I listened to a few albums with and without the USB 3.0. And in those few albums, the dynamics of the N10 was also enhanced.

But as I listened to more and more albums today, I notice that I have to dial down the volume for many of them. And it dawned upon me that the USB 3.0 was adding gain. I have found that adding gain almost always raises the noise floor. And so it did for both the N100H and N10 but to a more damaging degree for the N10. 

But it took the N10's much lower noise floor than the N100H's to expose this trickery of the USB 3.0. And so off it goes, far, far away from the gorgeous looking N10.

My apologies to all the USB 3.0 fans out there but I have to call it for what it is. An audiophile lives by his ears, or dies by them and it would be remiss on my part to not report back the truth. 

So, many thanks again to you, Foxnan50. 

Jon. :):):)

Thanks Jon for the update, very interesting indeed. As you say the noise floor of the N10, well I can't detect one its that quiet. Its simply stunning.

happy N10 listening. :)

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, DavidW said:

I’m finally replacing my antiquated MBP/A+ combination with a N100H, which should arrive within the week.  I’m planning to copy my music collection over from USBdrive to the internal 4TB drive, and I want to explore Tidal or Qobuz streaming when available.  My problem is how I will connect to the internet.  My audio room is in the finished basement; no Ethernet cabling in walls, and the cable modem and router are a floor up in the family room (about 20’ from my equipment rack, if there were no walls or ceiling).  The install literature I’ve seen only shows hard-wired solutions.  I could add another cable modem & router in the basement, but the ISP considers that to be another service at an additional $60 monthly charge.  I think that leaves me with WiFi. 

Are any of you successfully using WiFi based solutions?  If so, is an extender sufficient, or mesh network preferred for the higher throughput?  If you can share how you’ve set up and how reliable the operation is, I would certainly appreciate it, as I am a relative novice when it comes to network solutions.

Foxman - I found this on page 19 of this thread:

What I eventually did was set up on my access point what is called an IP Reservation. You can also find and change the IP address on the Aurender by opening your browser and entering http://ipaddress of Aurender/network (for example http://192.168.1.12/network) and changing IP Type from DHCP to Static IP. Then be sure to enter a valid address for the network you're on, use the same gateway and subnet mask that has been working so far. Because you're making this change directly to the Aurender it's dangerous. Putting in an address that's either .1 or .255 is flat out wrong, and using an address already in use in your network is another no-go. And if you're even considering this approach it's still best to fence off this address or a range so that the access point's DHCP function doesn't try and give away the Aurender address by "mistake". That's why the guys at Aurender won't recommend this option.

Thanks David, new it was on here somewhere. Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

rwwjr44

have you noticed any bad effects on standard flac files from HDD/NAS.

ive yet to do the firmware update and really have no use of MQA at this time. I’m very concerned that this update may have an ill effect on my NAS stored files.

i has some issues a couple of pages back but may have got the wrong end of the stick. 

By all means anyone comment.

Im confused what this update does. Does it change the sound of the standard flac files stored on the internal drive. By that i mean does the aurender now add some form of MQA filtering to all files played, or will it only do something to MQA encoded files.