IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

I currently have a dedicated PC server (CAPS v3-like) running MC20. For those of you who have used a similar streamer can you tell me:

1 - How would compare the sound of the N100 to the PC?

2 - How would you compare AMM/iOS app to jriver/jremote? I like the ability to crearte customized views so I can organize my music.

I am using a Lampizator DAC via USB.

TIA.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Thanks for your response. Does the Aurender software allow you to make custom views, like in jriver? For example, I have a hires view (all non-DSD at 24 bit), but it excludes certain folders since some bands have their own view. Is AMM powerful enough to do that?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

• 2 months later...

It provides cover art and other metdata for files not located on your NAS to the server. You only need to run it when you make changes to those files. Once it scans and updates the database you can close it.

• 2 weeks later...
Then, on the 24th of Sept Aurender came out with a new software update. Me, being stupid I guess, updated it. First thing I noted is that the update changed the Aurender IP address. Then I can no longer move files to the NAS or direct to the Aurender.

How do you move music? Are you using a PC or MAC? If you are using a PC then you just need to map a drive to the new IP address.

I have found additional issues with the new firmware. I am now getting momentary pauses in the music every couple of minutes. I never had that before.

Also, the AMM for Windows has a bug. I had to reinstall the old version.

I am not having that issue.

You could try roling back your ipad to a previous version if you have a backup. Or, trying reinstalling the most recent version while you ipad is attached to itunes.

I thought his issue was going from 9.0 to 9.0.1. I thought he could roll back to 9.0.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any way to edit or remove some of the buttons on the 2nd row of the ipad app? My current NAS hard drive folder structure has 15 folders below one of the subfolders. I would prefer none of them appear in the 2nd row.

• 1 month later...
I added a DXD album to my Aurender N100H Music1 disk. When the files would not play, I removed them from Music1 thinking the album cover would disappear from Conductor. It did not.

Does anyone know if there is another way to remove the album cover?

Did you rescan the data base?

• 1 month later...

If you delete the share associated with the NAS and rescan, AMM will not pick up any albums except for those on the internal drive. However, if you have the same album on both the NAS and the internal drive I don't see how AMM won't pick both of them up.

I take it you don't have or use AMM - if you don't select a Share, (or if you delete the one used) AMM just sits until you select something. and in the meantime, all previously indexed albums remain in the Controller App.

I do have and use AMM. One can delete their entire library and start over. Every time there is a new firmware the entire library needs to be rebuilt.

Please advise, step by step, how.

This may be the solution.

I am not at my computer now but I will take a look when I am next. Have you tried asking Aurender this same question?

In the app you can do a clean scan. Maybe if you delete the share and do a clean scan that will wipe out any references to the NAS.

I suppose that you need to send this to Aurender but I wonder if they ever considered this scenario.

I am not sure why people don't start by asking the manufacturer instead of other users? That's what I do.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello. I hope somebody can help. I replaced my Mac Mini with an Aurender N10 a month ago. I managed to transfer data to Music1 and Music2 using drag and drop and to connect my Synology NAS via AMM. The good news is that the SQ is excellent, much better than I expected. The downside is that it is not obvious to me how to perform some pretty basic functions like add a new album to the music library on the internal HDD. Am I supposed to erase the disks and drag and drop again? What SW do I use to erase the disks? Then there is the problem of keeping classical albums in one piece. They look good in iTunes but not Aurender Conductor. I asked Aurender about this and they told me to update metadata in the Aurender not my PC. To do this they told me to use a separate application like dbPowerAmp for Windows. They haven't yet replied to my follow up. I wonder does that mean I have to install dbPowerAmp somehow in the unit? I feel out of my depth. Any pointers would be very welcome.

Andrew

Why would you have to erase all the discs? To add a new album to the internal (or NAS) it is a simple drag and drop process followed by a scan.

Why do you have music on both the internal and external drives? Is it a size issue or do you use the NAS for other streamers?

Thanks rwwjr44. My Mac Mini is still connected to the network and I can see the files in Finder but handling network drives is all new to me and I'm not sure how to proceed anyway. I looked at dBpoweramp but that is a Window program and I'm 100% Mac. It almost looks like I'll have to obtain Parallels to run dBpoweramp (or is it PerfectTunes?) in order to get satisfactory results.

dBpoweramp is more for converting audio files from one format to another. I don't see its value in what you are looking to do.

dBpoweramp is also good for metadata editing.

Good to know. I have been using Tag & Rename for metadata.

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, jdandy said:

Still love my Aurender N10, even more now that I am using the DAC in my new Esoteric K-01X.  This combination is exceptional.

32830204585_b537c2e6ce_z.jpg

I am going to be demoing an N10 and will be comparing it to my HQPlayer / microRendu combination.  Have you do any similar comparisons?  What were you using before going to the N10?

On 3/26/2017 at 7:58 PM, bpw said:

The N10 hasn't existed for anywhere nearly that long. I think it's just under 2 years.

Brian, for USB only output is the W20 still a significant upgrade from the N10?

Does the N10 have 2 drives like the W20, are they 3.5" and can they replaced with higher capacity drives?

Has anyone replaced the drives in a W20? Is this plug and play or does one have to get Aurender involved?

The W20 I purchased has 2 x 3 TB drives and I'd like to upgrade at least one of them to 6 or 8 TB, depending on what is supported.

On 3/6/2017 at 4:23 PM, Taxman said:

Bad news... I got the following reply from Aurender:

Regarding your question, it is not a bug since we changed the way the scanner software detects albums. This is reflected in our release notes on our website: “The rule for detecting albums has changed. The folder (directory) is the boundary for an album, so that tracks (music files) for an album should be located all together under the same (direct) folder. Music files duplicated over the folders are no longer treated as the same album.”We had many end user requests for this for multi-CD sets and box set content. If you would like multi-CD content to be presented as one album, you can locate the files in the same containing folder and they will appear as one album.

They seriously suggest that I should reorganize my music library to comply with how they now think it should be organized to get it to work the way it did before! I understand that they want to support box sets - hey, I want that too! - but why not do that in some kind of smart way - for example by using additional tags, providing flexibility to the user.

I'm very close to give up and sell this wonderfully sounding piece of hardware, only because the software isn't given any attention and hasn't been improved for the 2,5 years I've had the box unless of course your #1 priority is streaming. Really sad, but true :(

I agree with you.  The whole point of metadata is that it doesn't care where the files are.  Limiting an album to a folder makes NO sense.

Aurender support responded to my drive replacement question promptly as they always do.

You can upgrade the W20 to 2 6TB or 8TB drives through your dealer or distributor. If you are located in the U.S., our office in Anaheim can perform the upgrade for a $300 service charge which includes a diagnostic of the unit before we send it back to you. This does not include the price of the hard disks, which we ask you to supply (the WD Red series drives are currently the only drives that work from a mounting pattern and power requirement standpoint). It also does not include shipping to and from our Anaheim office. We can also support your dealer for the upgrade.

So, if I replace both drives with 6 TB drives it would cost me $500 for the drives, $500 for round trip shipping and $300 for service, or a total of $1300 which seems like a lot.

It seems like I am best trying this on my own first.  if things don't go well I can always ship the unit.

I am in Cherry Hill so I would use the same dealer.  There is a dealer in Newton Square, PA.  I have written them to see if they can do the upgrade.

I am resigned to the fact that I can't do the upgrade myself.  If I can find a place to drive the unit to I will be fine with that.

Regarding your N100H I don't know what you would gain by replacing the 2 TB drive with an SSD.  Doesn't your unit already have an SSD on which the music is cached and played from?  I can see upgrading the 2 TB drive to 4 TB but the I don't understand the benefit of the SSD.