IGNORED

Poll: Next Berlin Philharmonic chief conductor

Who do you believe Rattle will pass on the baton to in Berlin?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

His family name is Ukrainian. He lives many years in Europe, have no idea about citizenship. Gergiev is fake, sorry. Still no russian, he is ossetin, as Stalin was.

To be clear: Not everyone who speak Russian is Russian. I speak Russian, but I am Ukrainian. US citizens they are not English? Brazilians - Portugese? Mexicans - are Spanish?

Petrenko is very clear Ukrainian, and he speaks for Ukraine, check the news.

P.S.: sound nationalistic, I know, but we are fighting the war with russia this very minute, sorry.

Just read about this in an e-mail announcement from Gramophone magazine. My first reaction was "who?". Thought they somehow got it mixed up between Kirill Karabits and Vasily Petrenko, both of whom I've got several (very good) recordings with. Has he made any recordings? I don't know of any.

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Just read about this in an e-mail announcement from Gramophone magazine. My first reaction was "who?". Thought they somehow got it mixed up between Kirill Karabits and Vasily Petrenko, both of whom I've got several (very good) recordings with. Has he made any recordings? I don't know of any.

LOL. I was wondering why everyone was saying "who???". I was thinking of Vasily Petrenko. In any case, he has two recordings listed under his name on Tidal.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

LOL. I was wondering why everyone was saying "who???". I was thinking of Vasily Petrenko. In any case, he has two recordings listed under his name on Tidal.

I'm following Gramophone on Facebook, and after the announcement they came up with the 10 best Berlin Philharmonic and another post on the 10 best Rattle recordings. I have yet to see a post on the 10 best Petrenko recordings.

Looks like the editors at Gramophone are as puzzled as we are, or really the guy hasn't recorded much yet.

To be fair he was at the Berlin Komische Oper for years which isn't known for their recordings.

I am very surprised. I have 1800 albums in my iTunes collection, most of them classical-music recordings, none of them conducted by Kirill Petrenko.

Qobuz only has 2 recordings where he appears.

Apparently, Petrenko conducted the BPO only three times. The Berliner Philharmoniker are taking big chances on this appointment. I wonder what kind of contract they gave him. Did they make him conductor for life as they did for Karajan? Considering Petrenko's age, that would be one very big gamble.

I still don't understand why they didn't go for an obvious choice, such as Christian Thielemann. Well, I guess people in Vienna, Boston and other places with orchestras competing with the BPO must be opening Champagne bottles to celebrate the quirky turn of events in Berlin.

The archived concerts of the BPO on Digital Concert Hall shows Petrenko has had only 2 appearances (2012, 2009). By comparison, Blomstedt has 6, Barenboim 7, Bychkov 6, Dudamel 7, Gilbert 5, Thielemann 9. Perhaps he is the proverbial lion that everyone thinks is a sheep.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I also just read that he did Bayreuth the last years, pretty much the whole Ring, and apparently did an outstanding job. I certainly hope somebody has recorded that somewhere.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jun/22/kirill-petrenko-chief-conductor-berlin-philharmonic-putting-music-first

Also there is a nice write-up in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/23/arts/music/berlin-philharmonic-selects-kirill-petrenko-to-succeed-simon-rattle.html?ref=arts

He seems a risky choice, but the Times article ends with this quote: "Ms. Willis (Sarah Willis, a horn player in the BPO), in a telephone interview, said: “One of my colleagues likened it to playing chamber music. When you play chamber music with someone you notice in the very first seconds, almost, if you’ll be able to play with that person. If they think like you do, if they feel like you do, it just clicks.”"

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Also there is a nice write-up in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/23/arts/music/berlin-philharmonic-selects-kirill-petrenko-to-succeed-simon-rattle.html?ref=arts

He seems a risky choice, but the Times article ends with this quote: "Ms. Willis (Sarah Willis, a horn player in the BPO), in a telephone interview, said: “One of my colleagues likened it to playing chamber music. When you play chamber music with someone you notice in the very first seconds, almost, if you’ll be able to play with that person. If they think like you do, if they feel like you do, it just clicks.”"

Thanks for sharing. Very nice article.

I've just put my bet out on their first symphony cycle recording: http://musicophilesblog.com/2015/06/23/petrenko-berlinphil-follow-on-it-just-clicked/

I still don't understand why they didn't go for an obvious choice, such as Christian Thielemann.

According this article in the German newspaper "Die Welt", Thielemann was pissed off and said no thanks after he didn't get an unanimous vote in the first turn. Talk about egos...

Berliner Philharmoniker: Dirigent Kirill Petrenko, Probierer und Erzieher - DIE WELT

Wow, Pfitzner and Suk. Not really mainstream fare. I'm getting more and more curious.

I listened to the Suk last night on Tidal and it is outstanding. I was totally unaware of Suk the composer. If Petrenko is panning for gold nuggets like this, the BPO's next directorship should yield some very interesting concerts.

My only concern is given his disposition, I wonder if his outreach to schools and to education in general will be as driven as Rattles' was. I still am in awe of Rattle's Stravinsky Rite of Spring production with urban, low income kids.

• 2 weeks later...
From the BPO Digital Concert Hall:

Meet Kirill Petrenko

Free until the end of August.

Ah terrific! Thanks for sharing this. You can go to one of the listed concerts, click on the option to create a free account and you can then listen immediately.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.