IGNORED

Poll: Next Berlin Philharmonic chief conductor

Who do you believe Rattle will pass on the baton to in Berlin?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If like me you're tired of voting for or against objectivists and trolls, here's a poll to enjoy:

With Rattle leaving to London, the orchestra needs to vote for another conductor in May, to start in 2018.

Who do you think is going to make it (see poll)?

And maybe, if different who would you want to get the job (answer below)?

I voted for Thielemann because I would like this to happen, even if I think that commercial and PR considerations will work in favour of Dudamel or maybe Nezet-Séguin.

I would also be pleased if Chailly got it. I really liked his Schumann cycle, even if I am a bit less impressed by his recent Brahms cycle.

I voted Thielmann. Judging from the reaction to a recent (Jan 17) concert by the audience, I would say that he is the local favorite.

Interestingly many of the names I've given actually played recently with the BPO, including Dudamel, Chailly and Nelsons.

Don't forget that Thielemann during his long tenure in Munich was anything if not controversial. I'm pretty sure the musicians have taken notice.

If I were a member of the orchestra, I might be inclined to look to a younger conductor who would be willing to commit for at least ten years, someone like Petrenko or Ticciati. I think Nezet-Seguin is more likely to try to wait out Levine's inevitable retirement and take over at the Met.

Based on the last few years in LA, I don't think very highly of Dudamel. The programming is fine, but I think the quality of the playing has slipped since Salonen left.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

I voted Nelsons. Heard some very impressive Shostakovich and Sibelius when he guest-conducted the Concertgebouw Orchestra.

Though it would be interesting to see what Thielemann could achieve at the helm of an orchestra like the Berliner.

By the way, for all the criticism on Sir Simon, I think that a conductor can't be good at everything. There's just too much beautiful music around...

I really enjoyed Nelsons last year when he conducted two of the Vienna Phil concerts on their tour here. However, he will be officially starting in Boston soon, so I would guess he would be unavailable.

I've only heard Thielemann on blurays (his Beethoven set and one VPO New Year's Concert). I wasn't that impressed with his conducting, although I was hoping when I bought the Beethoven set. Karajan's extraordinarily long tenure at the BPO distorts the perspective on how long should a top level orchestra have a music director. Ozawa was at Boston a very long time too. So if you expect a MD to last more than 20 years, then they have to start pretty young. They might do when they have done for Popes. If a great younger one is not evident, then hire a short timer essentially as an interim MD while you wait for the next superstar.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

• 4 weeks later...

I heard Thielemann in Wagner and Brahms. Didn't like his Brahms. LOVED his Wagner though. Check out his Bayreuth Walküre (better than the Vienna one), there's tension, excitement and drama from bar 1 and he keeps it going right to the end. Very very very musical

LOVED his Wagner though. Check out his Bayreuth Walküre (better than the Vienna one), there's tension, excitement and drama from bar 1 and he keeps it going right to the end. Very very very musical

I am listening his Vienna Parsifal today. Very transparent conducting, nobody prevents music speak by itself.

• 1 month later...

It's not only about musicianship of course. I think what speaks against Thielemann are his temperamental character (quite the opposite of Rattle) and the fact that he is German (born in Berlin). It would reduce the cosmopolitan/international image of the orchestra.

Claude

It's not only about musicianship of course. I think what speaks against Thielemann are his temperamental character (quite the opposite of Rattle) and the fact that he is German (born in Berlin). It would reduce the cosmopolitan/international image of the orchestra.

If they vote for conductor from Zimbabwe the cosmopolitan/international image of the orchestra will expand beyond any measure and for ever. I thought music is more important than image.

Dirigentenwahl der Berliner Philharmoniker - "Ende der Hoffnungen von Christian Thielemann"

This german article speaks about two main opinions within the orchestra: one group focusses on the musical qualifications of the conductor, the sound of the orchestra. This group favors Thielemann.

The other group wants to pursue the Rattle strategy of modernizing the orchestra, with more internet projects, etc. They blocked Thielemann.

The orchestra aims at taking a decision before the end of the year.

Claude

Dirigentenwahl der Berliner Philharmoniker - "Ende der Hoffnungen von Christian Thielemann"

This german article speaks about two main opinions within the orchestra: one group focusses on the musical qualifications of the conductor, the sound of the orchestra. This group favors Thielemann.

The other group wants to pursue the Rattle strategy of modernizing the orchestra, with more internet projects, etc. They blocked Thielemann.

I know there will not be a single conductor who will satisfy all and everyone. But they need to come out with decision.

Among other things, Rattle was very involved in education, getting younger, urban kids interested in the "classical" music. They can't lose that. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I'm not sure that Thielemann would see that as a priority.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I am not sure I see what the rush is.

The BPO has a MD until 2018. The orchestra must certainly see this as an opportunity, not as a failure.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...