IGNORED

Can Computer Audiophile be about music, computers, and our enjoyment thereof ?

I make a point to ignore all the trolling and poll threads (or any one with the word "god" in the title) and the objective/subjective BS, so I was surprised at the clusterf#ck some of the threads here have become once I took the time to go through some of them. Most come here to learn and share. Many post just to show that they are smarter than everyone else (being an academic, I can sort through and ignore this type of insecure behaviour with ease at this point in my life), and some feel that projecting their internet persona is more important than objective (used in the most accurate manner) and open discourse. I greatly enjoy reading and considering points of view that are different than mine (hello, Fox News), as well as discovering hardware, software, and music that I am previously not aware of, so I greatly appreciate Chris's light and permissive moderation.

So here is my request - even if you really ARE smarter than everyone else here (which I think would be quite an assumption for anyone to make), I would request that we refocus our posts on advancing our knowledge, understanding, and appreciation of music and computers.

Show respect and keep an open objective/subjective mind. And it really is not that important that YOU have the last word.

(I thought that Cycleman's "When 3- and 4- year olds..." thread was going to address these points, but, alas...)

One final comment - stating that someone is "racist" is very serious in my mind and should not be used lightly (I will not soapbox about how serious racism is here). We need a corollary of Godwin's Law for this usage, and anyone who calls someone a racist should present clear and unequivocal evidence and be called out publicly if they use this term without it.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

My friend, I hope this comes to pass. I personally will be trying to throttle down my activity in the handwringing threads, and maintain or increase it in the audio threads, but made this exception to agree with your sentiment.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

tne,

1. post a thread about computers and hi-fi. if it is interesting, people will read and reply.

2. follow Jud’s advice as per “handwringing" threads. avoid/ignore them “clusterf*cks” you find offensive.

3. get a drink. perhaps the laphroaig you like. which, one has to agree, contributes to the enjoyment of computers and hi-fi.

cheers.

And maybe just add a hint of humor, instead of a ladle of sarcasms...

I have to confess to enjoying well done sarcasm, though. :)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

A nurse to a white guy: You are a father of 3 boys congratulation

The white guy: yeah my rifle is a gun machine

The nurse: you should clean it, the babies are blacks

Sorry but I can not let this trolling pass. It is not just a joke when it is implied that one race is dirty and needs to be cleaned. Please back to the music.

Sorry there is no race we all share Lucy as grand mother.

Sorry there is no race we all share Lucy as grand mother.

Yes, but maybe you can understand that some people still don't think the joke is appropriate.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

(I thought that Cycleman's "When 3- and 4- year olds..." thread was going to address these points, but, alas...)

And maybe just add a hint of humor, instead of a ladle of sarcasms...

Hey, if my thread with that title had been about the ill-humor permeating too many other threads around here lately, I believe the title alone would have contributed to further bad spirits.

And as AlainGr saw, all I meant was to add some humor, perhaps take some of the focus away from the copious threads lately that delve into why people and dogs who listen to music are closer to some deity or another than those heathens who never listen to music.

And hey, I really did use that police line tape to protect my DeVore Fidelity Gibbon's from marauding young children, so it was humor as a true-life-tale.

Dave, who has the song "Tennessee" from Gillian Welch running through his head this morning lovely lovely music and is leaving this computer now to listen to it

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

Dave, who has the song "Tennessee" from Gillian Welch running through his head this morning lovely lovely music and is leaving this computer now to listen to it

That whole album (The Harrow and the Harvest) is a treasure.

Hey slow down I made a mistake ok.

I note your apology to Firedog. We in Australia are sensitive at the moment after Two Broke Girls

made an inappropriate joke about the indigenous members of our society. I don't remember their apology so happiy accept your's made quickly.

That whole album (The Harrow and the Harvest) is a treasure.

So true, so true.

She's on my short list of current performers whose music I love whom I've never seen perform live.

Looking forward to that day!

Dave, who doesn't understand why her albums aren't credited "Gillian Welch & David Rawlings" kind of like how in the past there were albums by "Richard & Linda Thompson" since Mr. Rawlings plays with her on every album and co-writes many of the songs too and produces the albums as well I believe

Music is love, made audible.

I note your apology to Firedog. We in Australia are sensitive at the moment after Two Broke Girls

made an inappropriate joke about the indigenous members of our society. I don't remember their apology so happiy accept your's made quickly.

Couldn't delete the post, I realise to late how stupid it was, sorry again.

Clever witty sarcasm is appreciated by many. OTOH, caustic bitter sarcasm intended to insult is a completely different matter.

BTW, I totally agree with you regarding Gillian Welch and 'The Harrow & the Harvest'. Virtually everything that she and Dave Rawlings do is worth listening to.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Clever witty sarcasm is appreciated by many. OTOH, caustic bitter sarcasm intended to insult is a completely different matter.

BTW, I totally agree with you regarding Gillian Welch and 'The Harrow & the Harvest'. Virtually everything that she and Dave Rawlings do is worth listening to.

Perhaps to the point of enabling bad behavior ?

I have no doubt that much I find very funny would strike many other people as caustic or even worse. And I have been known to engage in, laugh at, or even encourage what many others would think of as bad behavior. It may or may not have something to do with growing up while National Lampoon magazine was in its heyday. This is the magazine that infamously published an "interview" with the deceased Dan Blocker (much beloved as the character "Hoss" on the TV Western "Bonanza") containing only the magazine's questions, with blank spaces for Blocker's responses. Many of the magazine's writers went on to be staff writers for the original Saturday Night Live, coming up with such tasteless fare as the "Claudine Longet Invitational." Ms. Longet, the girlfriend of skier Spider Sabich, had shot him dead, maintaining successfully at trial she had done so accidentally while attempting to clean the weapon. The sketch featured film of ski racers in spectacular falls, accompanied by the SNL "commentators" saying "Oh no, he's been accidentally shot by Claudine...."

And then of course there's this:

I have no doubt that much I find very funny would strike many other people as caustic or even worse. And I have been known to engage in, laugh at, or even encourage what many others would think of as bad behavior. It may or may not have something to do with growing up while National Lampoon magazine was in its heyday.

With respect, Jud, I believe that you may be confusing satire with sarcasm, although the latter may be a component of the former. Caustic or bitter sarcasm, however, is intended to hurt or demean another person. Satire's aim, primarily, is to make fun of situations or people. Irony is often a key component. Satire, of course, was the National Lampoon's DNA. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron