IGNORED

Can't Access My HDD Over Network?

Does a NAS have to be directly connected to a router to be visible to other computers on the network or can it be connected to another computer connected to the router on the network?

Trying to set up a Mac Mini as a music server. Done some homework, but, obviously not enough. Anyway, I've got a wifi network in the house. Airport Extreme set up. What I am trying to accomplish is rip CDs on my Desktop PC in one room, and transmit the digital file to the HDD connected to the Mac Mini in the music room. The PC sees the Mac Mini, recognizing it as a server, but I can't see the HDD drive attached to the Mac Mini. The MM is connected to the Airport Extreme directly. Outboard HDD (OWC Mercury Elite Pro with 4 TB WD drive) connected directly to the Mac Mini.

Any help appreciated, in advance, as usual.

Thanks,

S

A NAS needs connecting to the same network as the computer.

Usually this means that the NAS is connected to a switch (or port on a router) and the computer to another port on the switch (or router) or via WiFi to an access point also on the same network.

You can configure a USB drive connected to a computer to be shared. Google should find you some getting started guides on "how to share a Mac drive via a network"

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I may be wrong but I see "NAS" and "outboard HDD"... How is the outboard HDD connected to the Mac Mini ?

Even if a computer sees another computer, it does not mean that one will be able to access the drive(s) of that computer, unless that drive is "shared" to allow its access from another computer.

At least this is how I do things with a Windows PC and I would tend to believe that the same is needed for a Mac ?

Alain

A NAS needs connecting to the same network as the computer.

Usually this means that the NAS is connected to a switch (or port on a router) and the computer to another port on the switch (or router) or via WiFi to an access point also on the same network.

You can configure a USB drive connected to a computer to be shared. Google should find you some getting started guides on "how to share a Mac drive via a network"

+1

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I may be wrong but I see "NAS" and "outboard HDD"... How is the outboard HDD connected to the Mac Mini ?

Even if a computer sees another computer, it does not mean that one will be able to access the drive(s) of that computer, unless that drive is "shared" to allow its access from another computer.

At least this is how I do things with a Windows PC and I would tend to believe that the same is needed for a Mac ?

I have a 4TB WD 3.5 drive connected to Mac mini via FireWire. This drive has no Ethernet connection. Mac mini is connected to AirPort Extreme via Ethernet. I can see the Mac mini as a server on my pc but not the drive. Btw, the Mac mini has the server software built in to the os.

I have a 4TB WD 3.5 drive connected to Mac mini via FireWire. This drive has no Ethernet connection. Mac mini is connected to AirPort Extreme via Ethernet. I can see the Mac mini as a server on my pc but not the drive. Btw, the Mac mini has the server software built in to the os.

Thanks for the information. What I was not sure of is the "NAS" designation you provided... Where you pointing at the outboard (drive) with that designation ?

Alain

Thanks for the information. What I was not sure of is the "NAS" designation you provided... Where you pointing at the outboard (drive) with that designation ?

I'm probably using incorrect terminology, so forgive me. I had intended to use the outboard/firewire-connected SATA drive (I think of this as the HDD, which is probably wrong) connected to the Mac Mini as my NAS device thinking that if the Mac Mini was connected to my network via Ethernet, I could access the SATA drive from my PC via the network. What I would like to do is burn CD's with the PC, and wirelessly transmit the files to the SATA-Headless Mac Mini in the other room.

Have you turned on File Sharing from the Systems Preferences pane on your Mac?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I'm probably using incorrect terminology, so forgive me. I had intended to use the outboard/firewire-connected SATA drive (I think of this as the HDD, which is probably wrong) connected to the Mac Mini as my NAS device thinking that if the Mac Mini was connected to my network via Ethernet, I could access the SATA drive from my PC via the network. What I would like to do is burn CD's with the PC, and wirelessly transmit the files to the SATA-Headless Mac Mini in the other room.

Well in a way we could say that the Mac Mini acts as a "NAS" since it carries the drive(s) that you wish to access to copy your ripped CDs, so your are not in error :)

And Tom just pointed to the missing link :)

Let us know about the results :)

Alain

Yes, turned everything on and now I get an icon named 'SERVER' on the PC under the 'Network' category that was not there before. The Mac Mini host name is 'server.local', so this may be the Mac Mini. However, a new snag, when I try to open the 'SERVER' to see if the SATA drive is accessible, I get a Windows Security window asking for network credentials of username and password. I have so many passwords associated with this project, I have no idea what combination it is looking for. Tried everything and nothing gets me in.

Argh!

Yes, turned everything on and now I get an icon named 'SERVER' on the PC under the 'Network' category that was not there before. The Mac Mini host name is 'server.local', so this may be the Mac Mini. However, a new snag, when I try to open the 'SERVER' to see if the SATA drive is accessible, I get a Windows Security window asking for network credentials of username and password. I have so many passwords associated with this project, I have no idea what combination it is looking for. Tried everything and nothing gets me in.

Argh!

I would try entering the username and password of your Mac account.

You may also find this article useful:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1549

I am "venturing" now... Normally when someone want to share a drive, he may need also to specify permissions as for "who" can access it. It could be references as "public" or something that will allow anyone on your network to access the shared drive (could be a shared directory or a shared file).

In Windows for example, I go in the drive properties and then the "security" or "authorization", where I can select "everyone" with the permissions to "read, write and execute". But I am aware that the path to do this (and the terminology) will be different from one OS (or version of an OS) to another...

Just for fun, I googled "how to share a drive mac mini" and a lot of links appear. I know this answer is vague, but this is how I always try to either seek a solution to a specific situation. It does not always work though...

Alain

Success....kind of. I guessed at the correct password and username and got the Mac Mini to show up on the PC. I copied some music files from the PC to the Mac Mini to see if it would work. On the PC it appears the files were copied, but I can't find the files on the Mac Mini.

Success....kind of. I guessed at the correct password and username and got the Mac Mini to show up on the PC. I copied some music files from the PC to the Mac Mini to see if it would work. On the PC it appears the files were copied, but I can't find the files on the Mac Mini.

If you haven't created a folder for the files, they are probably in the "Public" or "Shared" folder for the user that you logged in as. These folders are at the same level as folders like Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures, etc.

If not, you can try using Spotlight on the Mac to find them. You can access by clicking on the magnifying glass in the upper right of the screen or from the search box that's on every finder window.

I think if you create a shared folder for receiving these files on the Mac using the File Sharing menu (click on "+" sign), this folder will appear on the Windows side.

If you haven't created a folder for the files, they are probably in the "Public" or "Shared" folder for the user that you logged in as. These folders are at the same level as folders like Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures, etc.

If not, you can try using Spotlight on the Mac to find them. You can access by clicking on the magnifying glass in the upper right of the screen or from the search box that's on every finder window.

I think if you create a shared folder for receiving these files on the Mac using the File Sharing menu (click on "+" sign), this folder will appear on the Windows side.

Thanks much. I found it. It was buried in: HD > Network > Servers > Server.local > shared items > public Whew!

I think this is going to work, though. I made the HD inside the Mac Mini (it has two 1TB drives) one of the shared drives, so now I can rip CDs on the office PC, and send them directly to one of the Mac Mini's hard drives.

Now, the question is: do I really want to do this? That is: keep the music files on the second 1TB hard drive inside the Mac or keep them on the SATA drive outside the Mac?

This is touchy and can vary from one system to another... I would copy a few songs that you know well and compare with playing one and the other, each from their locations... It may not be the answer that you are expecting, but... You will always be the ultimate judge about your setup (apart from suggestions from others)... If you can hear differences, you will be happy you did the comparisons. If not, then you will be able to choose what is most practical for you (SQ, backup, portability of music) :)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alain

This is touchy and can vary from one system to another... I would copy a few songs that you know well and compare with playing one and the other, each from their locations... It may not be the answer that you are expecting, but... You will always be the ultimate judge about your setup (apart from suggestions from others)... If you can hear differences, you will be happy you did the comparisons. If not, then you will be able to choose what is most practical for you (SQ, backup, portability of music) :)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Any idea if there will be a potentially bigger difference in SQ using iTunes to serve it versus JRiver or Amarra, Audirvana, etc? Currently, I can't get JRiver to work (thread started in the Software section hopefully will cure this), so all I have to work with, for now, is iTunes.

At this point, I prefer not to go deeper into this matter, as I use Windows and a software to play my music. The software player that I use is XXHighEnd and the DAC that it was moslty built for (though many do not have this dac and report very good SQ with it). Since my field of appreciation comes from using a different OS, I would not be the right person to suggest any of these fine other softwares. I read good things about them, but that is all for me to tell. I suppose it is possible to try each of them for free ? Then you will be able to determine which suits you the best ? All I know is that some of these softwares your named interact with iTunes (library) I think...

Maybe Tom will come back and make some suggestions, unless you also ask in another thread...

Alain

Now, the question is: do I really want to do this? That is: keep the music files on the second 1TB hard drive inside the Mac or keep them on the SATA drive outside the Mac?

As Alain already mentioned, the best way to tell is to listen to both and see if you can detect any differences with your ears and system. The nice thing is that you can always start with one way and then move to the other in the future.

As Alain already mentioned, the best way to tell is to listen to both and see if you can detect any differences with your ears and system. The nice thing is that you can always start with one way and then move to the other in the future.

Tom,

External or internal hard drive,ssd ,sd card any archive device should not make any difference you forget bits are bits:)